Thread: Worst starting QBs to win a ring.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Worst starting QBs to win a ring.

Not necessarily about the stats. Just who do you think are the worst overall STARTING QBs to win a SB?

With a lot of talk about our next QB lately, I was wondering just how bad can our guy be and we still have a shot.(Not Really) For the most part, SBs have been won with guys named Big Ben, Brady, Manning, and Rodgers. Does Wilson deserve the same ranking? Elway, Aikman, Favre, Dilfer? Just curious, who makes your list of the worst starting QBs to ever win the big game?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: Worst starting QBs to win a ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Not necessarily about the stats. Just who do you think are the worst overall STARTING QBs to win a SB?

With a lot of talk about our next QB lately, I was wondering just how bad can our guy be and we still have a shot.(Not Really) For the most part, SBs have been won with guys named Big Ben, Brady, Manning, and Rodgers. Does Wilson deserve the same ranking? Elway, Aikman, Favre, Dilfer? Just curious, who makes your list of the worst starting QBs to ever win the big game?
    If you go in the wayback machine 37 year old version of Johnny Unitas for the 1970 Colts was mediocre (he got knocked out of the game and was replaced by Earl Morrall)

Modern era (post-1978 16 game schedule + more favorable rules for passing) the usual suspects are the three Redskins QBs (Joe Theismann, Doug Williams and Mark Rypien even though they had good stats in the Joe Gibbs system), Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson (although Johnson made the Pro Bowl in 2002)

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

IMO, Jim McMahon was the reason those Bears teams in the mid-to-late '80s didn't win multiple SBs.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

2015 Manning was awful.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I think it comes down to Joe Namath, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer. For me, I'd go with Namath and Dilfer.

Aikman was solid. I think of all the big names, Bradshaw, Montana, Brady, Aikman, Elway, Roethlisberger, Manning, etc...I think Elway is the worst of that bunch. I never understood the infatuation with him...I'd take all those other guys over Elway...Aikman is debatable to me but the others I'd take no question.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Trent Dipshit of the Ravens. He also sucks on television.
    All Defense!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The double suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I think the fact that Dillhole was the first winning QB in the Super Bowl to be waived the following offseason speaks volumes about how shitty he was.

Career Wise,this is Dilfer.....Year Wise,I think this is Peyton Manning in 2015(QB rating of 67 during the season,9 TD,17 INT!!!)

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    IMO, Jim McMahon was the reason those Bears teams in the mid-to-late '80s didn't win multiple SBs.
    McMahon was awful. If that defense and run game had had a real QB, almost certain they could have won multiple.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    McMahon was awful. If that defense and run game had had a real QB, almost certain they could have won multiple.
    The problem is that McMahon was injury prone...He don't play in the 1984 and 1986 playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The problem is that McMahon was injury prone...He don't play in the 1984 and 1986 playoffs.
    That. And he wanted to play like Favre(I know he came later) but without any of the skills and field awareness.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Definitely Dilfer, he spent over a decade in this league and did nothing but be a passenger on the Ravens team, and he was a passenger. He benefited from one of othe greatest single season defensive performances in NFL history led by a defensive player of the year winning performance by LB Murderer at his peak. Offensively he also benefited from over 1,300 rushing yards from Jamal Lewis as well. That year Dilfer had 12 TDs compared to 11 INTs, a completion percentage of only 59.3%, had only 136.5 yards passing per game, and his QB rating of 76.6. That year Tony f-ing Banks, who started as many games at QB for Baltimore as Dilfer, had more passing yards and fewer INTs. Definitely Dilfer

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Definitely Dilfer, he spent over a decade in this league and did nothing but be a passenger on the Ravens team, and he was a passenger. He benefited from one of othe greatest single season defensive performances in NFL history led by a defensive player of the year winning performance by LB Murderer at his peak. Offensively he also benefited from over 1,300 rushing yards from Jamal Lewis as well. That year Dilfer had 12 TDs compared to 11 INTs, a completion percentage of only 59.3%, had only 136.5 yards passing per game, and his QB rating of 76.6. That year Tony f-ing Banks, who started as many games at QB for Baltimore as Dilfer, had more passing yards and fewer INTs. Definitely Dilfer

And his completion percentage was only 47% in the playoffs.Luckily for him, in their first 3 playoff games, Shannon Sharpe had a big play (50 yards or more) in each game!

And his completion percentage was only 47% in the playoffs.Luckily for him, in their first 3 playoff games, Shannon Sharpe had a big play (50 yards or more) in each game!
    The Ravens as a team surrendering 23 points in 4 postseason games and surrendering 10 or more points in one of those games also helped tremendously

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    The Ravens as a team surrendering 23 points in 4 postseason games and surrendering 10 or more points in one of those games also helped tremendously
    And the ravens had also 2 ST team/Defensive TD against the Titans and Giants!

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

He also just wasn't that good of a QB. He was decent to have as a backup QB, though. The Bears historically have had crappy luck with QBs.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    He also just wasn't that good of a QB. He was decent to have as a backup QB, though. The Bears historically have had crappy luck with QBs.
    Yeah, Jay Cutler has probably been the franchise's greatest QB since Sid Luckman retired after the 1950 season

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Tom Brady. By far the worst QB to win a championship.

If you mean "worst" as in "lowest skilled" rather than "just terrible and vomit-inducing overall," then Dilfer is your man, and Flacco is not far behind.

I don't think McMahon deserves to take as much shit as he does for not winning more championships. That entire offense sucked except for Walter Payton, and the team was built with one style of football in mind. McMahon was just the guy who happened to be in the middle of it. They also probably would've won two or three titles anyway if they also have happened to be playing at the exact same time as two or three other dominant teams in the same conference. Remember how the NFC won something like 12 straight Super Bowls? Not an easy time to do it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    The double suck.
    Worse than two Sharknados?
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Jeff Hostetler was a backup that won the Super Bowl. He went on to become a starter with the Raiders.

He wasn't that good and it took an old OJ Anderson to bull his way to the Super Bowl. Hostetler just handed him the ball.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post

If you mean "worst" as in "lowest skilled" rather than "just terrible and vomit-inducing overall," then Dilfer is your man, and Flacco is not far behind.
    But Flacco had the good fortune to have one of the all time great playoff runs, which got him a ring and the Ravens to overpay on his contract

Top 15 Single-Postseason Performances by a Quarterback (minimum 3 games)

BostonBlackie

The 10 Worst Quarterbacks To Win a Super Bowl

MIKE MEADOWSFEBRUARY 2, 2009

10. Terry Bradshaw

1 OF 10

9. Ben Roethlisberger

2 OF 10

8. Eli Manning

3 OF 10

7. Ken Stabler

4 OF 10

6. Doug Williams

5 OF 10

5. Jim Plunkett

6 OF 10

4. Jeff Hostetler

7 OF 10

3. Brad Johnson

8 OF 10

2. Trent Dilfer

9 OF 10

1. Joe Namath

10 OF 10

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...n-a-super-bowl

This list was in 2009, but no way that Roethlisberger and several in this list as Ken Stabler, Terry Bradshaw was worse than Matt Rypien or Jim McHahon

BostonBlackie

This list was in 2009, but no way that Roethlisberger and several in this list as Ken Stabler, Terry Bradshaw was worse than Matt Rypien or Jim McHahon
    I agree.

Further, and I'm not just saying this because this is a Steeler forum, Bradshaw gets cheated in a lot of these rankings. I was a huge fan of his when he played.

My top 10(no order)

Dilfer
    Doug Williams
    Brad Johnson
    Jeff Hostetler
    Matt Rypien
    Jim McHahon
    Joe Namath
    Joe Theisman
    Phil Simms
    Joe Flacco

Maybe I forget a few

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    But Flacco had the good fortune to have one of the all time great playoff runs, which got him a ring and the Ravens to overpay on his contract
    No doubt about that. But having a great ((lucky?)should there even be a question mark there) run of three or four games where everyone came down with his moonballs is a lot different from being that good in general, as I think we've all seen.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBlackie View Post
    I agree.

Further, and I'm not just saying this because this is a Steeler forum, Bradshaw gets cheated in a lot of these rankings. I was a huge fan of his when he played.

He really takes the lion's share of the criticism of "omg game was different back then, today's QBs are way better!!!!"

I mean, if people are going to be like that, then Bart Starr is one of the worst quarterbacks ever to win a championship. You look at the stats, the guy was an absolute shit QB by today's standards. That's probably not because he sucked, it's because that's what it took to win the game the way it was played then. In a modern offense with modern game planning and coordinators watching everything from the booth and calling out exploits, he'd probably have the ability to be passing for 4,000 yards too. Similarly, if you put Terry Bradshaw in today's Steelers offense, he'd probably be putting up numbers similar to Ben.

On the other hand, Jeff George or Jon Kitna had similar stats to Bradshaw, but put them on the '70s Steelers and you'd probably end up with a lot less passing yards and winning a whole lot of nothing.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBlackie View Post

MIKE MEADOWSFEBRUARY 2, 2009

10. Terry Bradshaw

1 OF 10

9. Ben Roethlisberger

2 OF 10

8. Eli Manning

3 OF 10

7. Ken Stabler