Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers Send Scouts To Watch Top QB Prospect

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Steelers Send Scouts To Watch Top QB Prospect

Where would Dobbs go in this draft class? late first early 2nd?

This whole draft seems weak.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post

Hence, that is why I’ve suggested going with Dobbs (and surrounding him with talent).

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

4th at the latest considering how weak last's draft class was graded

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    4th at the latest considering how weak last's draft class was graded
    Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes >> Darnold, Rosen, Allen

Also last years draft was deep at other positions. As I posted, this whole draft class is weak Imo.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Also last years draft was deep at other positions. As I posted, this whole draft class is weak Imo.
    Even factoring how much deeper the 2017 class was at other positions, late 1st/early 2nd is stretching it.

Late 3rd at the absolute max

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Watson perhaps but there’s no evidence re the other two that backs that up.

Drafting QBs is half skill and half luck.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I thought this was supposed to be the best class since 04. That's what everyone said 9 weeks ago. Now they all suck. 9 weeks from now they'll all be good again after some kid kills it in a bowl game. 9 weeks after that people will "watch the tape" and everyone will suck again. Then it'll be the draft and 6 guys will go in round one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Take one in rounds 3-7 every year!

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I thought this was supposed to be the best class since 04. That's what everyone said 9 weeks ago. Now they all suck. 9 weeks from now they'll all be good again after some kid kills it in a bowl game. 9 weeks after that people will "watch the tape" and everyone will suck again. Then it'll be the draft and 6 guys will go in round one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lol, pretty much this.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

You do NOT have to draft the 'best' QB in the draft. People will pour over film and mechanics, and footwork, and accuracy, and so on...AND fundamentally, Eli should be as good as Payton. Brees never should have made it back as a starter. Judging by mechanics, Favre should have been awful and a wasted pick. I still contend the QB we need to follow Ben, once he retires, is already in the league and sitting on IR in Denver. In fact, I would like to see Lynch AND Kelley get an opportunity here. I'm willing to give Dobbs his chance, but I did watch him at Tennessee a lot over his career and he was not very accurate with the football. He didn't get much help, but this offensive scheme needs an accurate passer. Also someone that can move when needed.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

I still think Roethlisberger will be with us next year, so ....

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Even factoring how much deeper the 2017 class was at other positions, late 1st/early 2nd is stretching it.

Late 3rd at the absolute max
    Dobbs was considered a late 3rd/early 4th round pick this year. (Mayock had him in round 3, Mel Kiper had him as a possible 2nd round pick)

Not sure how he would still be ranked the same. Weak drafts pushes up talent. I'll agree late first is stretching it, but after that it's very possible.

Dobbs was considered a late 3rd/early 4th round pick this year. (Mayock had him in round 3, Mel Kiper had him as a possible 2nd round pick)

Not sure how he would still be ranked the same. Weak drafts pushes up talent. I'll agree late first is stretching it, but after that it's very possible.
    You were talking about where Dobbs would end up and he ended up a late 4th round pick this past year

My intentions was about projections.

In this awful class(again, not just QB's) Dobbs would be viewed as a 2nd rounder at the very least.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Take one in rounds 3-7 every year!
    you mean like Tee Martin, Brian St Pierre, Omar Jacobs, Dennis Dixon and Landry Jones?

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    you mean like Tee Martin, Brian St Pierre, Omar Jacobs, Dennis Dixon and Landry Jones?
    Dennis Dixon has 2 SB rings.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Dennis Dixon has 2 SB rings.
    amazing, while QBs like Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Dan Fouts and Fran Tarkenton have none.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Dennis Dixon has 2 rings while also never seeing the field. What does that even mean?

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

That kid from Stanford Costello impressed me last night! Any idea what RD he may go ?

Last draft QB success is based on Trubisky, Watson, and Mahomes? Next draft QB class success will be based on Rosen, Mayfield, and Allen?

This is not an accurate tool to measure by. By that method, Aaron Rodgers was a bust until Favre left GB. Dak was the 'steal of the draft', at the end of last season. Today, not so much. As with most things NFL, it's a process, and a system. Kizer 'could be' in the running for OROY maybe, if he was starting for the Jags, Buccs, or Bills instead of the Browns.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

My gut keeps telling me that the Steelers are going to draft Mason Rudolph (QB, Oklahoma St.) at #32.

I’ve averred that they could go with Dobbs (and add a TE), but I just cannot shake this feeling.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    My gut keeps telling me that the Steelers are going to draft Mason Rudolph (QB, Oklahoma St.) at #32.

I’ve averred that they could go with Dobbs (and add a TE), but I just cannot shake this feeling.
    I hope not. From what I have seen of Rudolf, he makes Kevin Hogan look like a great NFL QB. Try some Rolaids for your gut.

Ben will tone down the retirement talk this offseason and focus on getting #4. Thus the Steelers will draft another OLB to drop into coverage at #32.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Try some Rolaids for your gut.
    Maybe some prune juice.

QUESTION:
    If BB retires, SteelersCanada suggested signing Tyrod Taylor. Since the Bills are trying to run him out of town, it’s completely possible. And, Taylor isn’t half bad... especially if he has AB, Bell, and our O-line.

Maybe some prune juice.

QUESTION:
    If BB retires, SteelersCanada suggested signing Tyrod Taylor. Since the Bills are trying to run him out of town, it’s completely possible. And, Taylor isn’t half bad... especially if he has AB, Bell, and our O-line.
    I'd go Keenum over Taylor but Taylor would be a viable option - at least as a stop gap.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Maybe some prune juice.

QUESTION:
    I really like Tyrod. A lot of poise, good accurate arm and he obviously can run. With the right talent he could be a poor mans Russel Wilson. After watching Tom Savage suck balls tonight he reminded me of Landry Jones. Slow, no passion and had deer in headlights look. We all know Landry will lead us no where. Dobbs has a couple of years to develop and then jury is out. If Ben does retire I think Tyrod would be best choice, or AJ Mccarron. I don't see any for sure things. Mayfield ,Rudolf ,Finley, are a role of dice. Lamar Jackson would be my pick over any of them. Doubt he'll be around though since we'll have last pick.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I'd go Keenum over Taylor but Taylor would be a viable option - at least as a stop gap.
    There is no way that Minnesota let’s Keenum go.

(They’ll probably trade Bradford and Bridgewater.)

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    I really like Tyrod. A lot of poise, good accurate arm and he obviously can run. With the right talent he could be a poor mans Russel Wilson. After watching Tom Savage suck balls tonight he reminded me of Landry Jones. Slow, no passion and had deer in headlights look. We all know Landry will lead us no where. Dobbs has a couple of years to develop and then jury is out. If Ben does retire I think Tyrod would be best choice, or AJ Mccarron. I don't see any for sure things. Mayfield ,Rudolf ,Finley, are a role of dice. Lamar Jackson would be my pick over any of them. Doubt he'll be around though since we'll have last pick.
    Oooh... McCarron. I like that idea, as well.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Maybe some prune juice.

QUESTION:
    I'd pass. The knock on Taylor is that he is conservative and doesn't try to throw the football in tight windows, but rather only if he sees the WR open. That isn't the attitude of a playoff winning QB, so if you want a guy to hold the torch a couple seasons until you find your QB (like the Bills have tried to do), then sure. IMO, he is a more athletic version of Bruce Gradkowski.