Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers Send Scouts To Watch Top QB Prospect

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Steelers Send Scouts To Watch Top QB Prospect

Steelers scouts were on-hand to watch Wyoming QB Josh AllenSaturday according to this report ESPN’s Michele Steele.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09...p-qb-prospect/

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Steelers Send Scouts To Watch Top QB Prospect

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Sounds like a Blake Bortles.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Why would the Steelers draft a QB in this years draft? They have already drafted Josh Dobbs.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    We know it's about the long road, not the short. But that's a terrible start.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Why would the Steelers draft a QB in this years draft? They have already drafted Josh Dobbs.
    Lol No. Nobody said Dobbs is the long term future or the answer.

The Steelers should go to any and all lengths to look for a QB and not rest on their laurels and think they have one right now after Ben.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post

The Steelers should go to any and all lengths to look for a QB and not rest on their laurels and think they have one right now after Ben.
    But wont they be drafting too low at #32 to get a good QB in the draft?

And in case anyone wonders what a Power 5 opponent is. It's a team from the big conferences (ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, and Pac-12)

The Cowboys lost 52-17 to Nebraska last year, and just got smashed by Iowa yesterday 24-3.

Josh Allen vs Nebraska 2016: 16-32, 189 YDS, 1 TD, 5 INT

Josh Allen vs Iowa 2017 Saturday: 23-40, 174 YDS, 2 INT

- - - Updated - - -

But wont they be drafting too low at #32 to get a good QB in the draft?
    Yes, but like the other topic, you're basing this all on assumptions.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Sounds like a Blake Bortles.
    It also sounds like BB's "4 INT game" against Iowa.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

And in case anyone wonders what a Power 5 opponent is. It's a team from the big conferences (ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, and Pac-12)

The Cowboys lost 52-17 to Nebraska last year, and just got smashed by Iowa yesterday 24-3.

- - - Updated - - -

What stands out the most to me is, that team threw the ball 40 times and only netted 174 yards. That's less than 5 yards per pass attempt. AND only 7 yards per completion.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

All indication so far is that Allen (if he declares) will be a top 10 pick. I doubt he's available

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    It also sounds like BB's "4 INT game" against Iowa.
    It should be noted though that he had 343 yards and 3 TDs against 1 INT against Iowa the year before in a close loss, a year Iowa went to the Orange Bowl

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...-miami-oh.html

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The scouts should watch all of these QBs:

--Sam Darnold
    --Josh Allen
    --Mason Rudolph
    --Luke Falk
    --Josh Rosen
    --Baker Mayfield
    --Jake Browning
    --Kyle Allen

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The scouts should watch all of these QBs:

--Sam Darnold
    --Josh Allen
    --Mason Rudolph
    --Luke Falk
    --Josh Rosen
    --Baker Mayfield
    --Jake Browning
    --Kyle Allen

Darnold looked horrible

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    Darnold looked horrible
    It seems like all the teams at the bottom are already trying to get in position to draft him. I'll laugh my ass off when he decides to stay another year.

As far as Allen goes I think he's the classic boom or bust player.

My early favorite for a Steelers pick is Baker Mayfield. He's a bit on the small side but plays with great energy and is a very accurate passer. Accuracy is a must at the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    Darnold looked horrible
    My guys are Josh Rosen and Kyle Allen.

Josh Rosen
    Rosen will (supposedly) drop, because he's an a$$hole. He taunts the opposing fans. Meh. He does not listen to the coaches' advice, because he thinks he's able to thread the needle. Meh (to a degree). He made a comment about academics and football. (Meh!!!). I'd say he's over-confident, but so was Elway, Favre, & pretty much every other great QB.

Kyle Allen
    Three years ago, I stated that he'd be drafted by the Steelers in 2018. So, partially, I'm being stubborn. LOL Allen was the next in line for the "Texas A&M's QB factory". He didn't mesh well with their coaches/system. He transferred to Houston... and, if he has a good year, he could skyrocket up draft boards.

BurghBoy412

Another guy I like is Wilton Speight from Michigan. He's a 6'5" 243lb monster. Has a big arm and is fairly accurate. He also played lacrosse so I assume he's pretty athletic for his size. He has all the physical attributes. However I read his decision making, pocket presence, and mechanics need work.

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    Another guy I like is Wilton Speight from Michigan. He's a 6'5" 243lb monster. Has a big arm and is fairly accurate. He also played lacrosse so I assume he's pretty athletic for his size. He has all the physical attributes. However I read his decision making, pocket presence, and mechanics need work.
    Speight is horrible. He single-handedly let the Buckeyes hang around the Ohio State Michigan game with 2 INTs deep in Michigan territory (one returned for a TD) last year when Ohio State was doing little otherwise and Ohio State came back to win. Yesterday he also single handedly allowed Florida to hang around into the 4th quarter with back to back INTs returned for TDs (Michigan still won fairly comfortably because Florida doesn't have a competent offense). I want no part of Speight

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Speight is horrible. He single-handedly let the Buckeyes hang around the Ohio State Michigan game with 2 INTs deep in Michigan territory (one returned for a TD) last year when Ohio State was doing little otherwise and Ohio State came back to win. Yesterday he also single handedly allowed Florida to hang around into the 4th quarter with back to back INTs returned for TDs (Michigan still won fairly comfortably because Florida doesn't have a competent offense). I want no part of Speight
    Well ok then. I'm going to see how/ if he progresses this year.

Speight is low on my list of players. I'd prefer Jackson, Mayfield, Schor.

Speight's Orange Bowl last year wasn't good either, less than 60% completion, barely over 4 yards per attempt and 1 TD against 1 INT

BurghBoy412

Speight's Orange Bowl last year wasn't good either, less than 60% completion, barely over 4 yards per attempt and 1 TD against 1 INT
    Well we'll see if he turns it around.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

I hope he isn't the short term answer either.
    Hater = Realist

- - - Updated - - -

No, I am basing it on other people's misconceptions. Raiders found their franchise QB at #36, Seahawks drafted theirs at #75 and the Cowboys their starter at #135... so I don't see why the Steelers cant find their future QB at #32 this year.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree and I am a Michigan fan. Speight is not an NFL QB IMO.

I haven't broken down Baker Mayfield's game, but a lot of draft analysts like Matt Miller of Bleacher Report are not impressed by his game. Tony Pauline is a guy that I have respected his draft opinions for years and he only has Mayfield as a 5th round pick.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

No, I am basing it on other people's misconceptions. Raiders found their franchise QB at #36, Seahawks drafted theirs at #75 and the Cowboys their starter at #135... so I don't see why the Steelers cant find their future QB at #32 this year.
    It can be done, but all 3 of those guys were a team being willing to look past the "conventional wisdom" and draft a guy. Carr had the stigma of his brother and being a gimmicky offense guy. Prescott had the concern of a DUI and just a system guy. Wilson was and is short.

Will Colbert and the other Steelers decision makers be able to look past the obvious to uncover an overlooked QB? Recent quotes by Colbert and the drafting of Dobbs suggest they will.

The question is "who is that guy?" I have no idea.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The worst thing the steelers could do is to reach on a QB, like the Vikings (Ponder), Jaguars (Gabbert) and the Titans (Locker) had done in 2011.

The Titans and Jaguars had the opportunity to select J.J Watt but they reached on a QB!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    It can be done, but all 3 of those guys were a team being willing to look past the "conventional wisdom" and draft a guy. Carr had the stigma of his brother and being a gimmicky offense guy. Prescott had the concern of a DUI and just a system guy. Wilson was and is short.

Will Colbert and the other Steelers decision makers be able to look past the obvious to uncover an overlooked QB? Recent quotes by Colbert and the drafting of Dobbs suggest they will.

The question is "who is that guy?" I have no idea.
    You are correct that they all had some things that didn't say "this guy is a lock", but all players do. Some thought Carr was the best QB in the draft, while both Wilson and Prescott impressed scouts with great performances in their respective Senior Bowl performances.

As for "who is that guy?" ...we don't have to know, but the Steelers have been scouting all of these guys for a couple years now and if that guy is on the board at their pick, they will select him. I am saying that this year is likely the best in some time as there are so many potential NFL QB prospects that should be in the 2018 draft.

BurghBoy412

All this QB talk makes me realize how much I'm not looking forward to Ben retiring. Finding a Franchise QB can be a long hard road. Ugh!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I posted this in another thread - so apologies for spamming it. https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/8...ott-derek-carr

But I think it is a "must read" when having a conversation about drafting a starting QB in 2018.

The whole piece is worth reading, but here is Colbert's bit:

"You’re going to throw out about half his completions,” said Kevin Colbert, the Pittsburgh Steelers’ general manager. Colbert has spent the past few years studying spread quarterbacks and figuring out how to best evaluate them. This is an era of volume passing at every level of football, so there are more throws than ever to watch. But that’s not necessarily a good thing. The key, he said, is to eliminate all the easy stuff in the evaluation.
    “If a kid is completing 70 percent of his throws and 90 percent of those are within 5 yards, is it really 70 percent?” Colbert said. He added that the Steelers have plenty of these gimme routes in their offense, but “any guy with a certain size or arm strength should be able to complete those. If I can’t throw the ball from here to the slot receiver, I shouldn’t even be looked at. But am I leading that receiver into the proper area of the field? Am I throwing him open?”
    This year, Colbert said, the team made a concerted effort to divorce the player from the scheme and focus on three areas: physical skill, responsibility in the offense, and play in important matchups. “We wanted to evaluate physical talent: We can all do that. Guesstimate intellect: how much they were being asked to do. And big games—did he play in big games and did he win more than he lost?”
    After using this smarts-and-big-game method, Colbert used a fourth-round pick on Tennessee’s Josh Dobbs, who can recite the first 48 digits of pi. (Although Dobbs is quick to dismiss much of a link between academic intelligence and football IQ. “They don’t entirely go together,” he said.)
    The SEC, Dobbs added, was among the top conferences for deep balls and “explosive plays in the passing game, which correlates to the NFL.” The biggest transition for the former Volunteer was learning how to huddle. “In a game situation,” he said, “the mouthpiece can slow you down.” "

BurghBoy412

- - - Updated - - -

I agree and I am a Michigan fan. Speight is not an NFL QB IMO.

I haven't broken down Baker Mayfield's game, but a lot of draft analysts like Matt Miller of Bleacher Report are not impressed by his game. Tony Pauline is a guy that I have respected his draft opinions for years and he only has Mayfield as a 5th round pick.
    I prefer to break down players with my own eyes. I find it useless to use the opinion of another as my basis of analysis.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Josh Allen doesn't sound much better than Josh Dobbs.