Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers Send Scouts To Watch Top QB Prospect

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Steelers Send Scouts To Watch Top QB Prospect

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Stats-wise, Baker Mayfield leads the pack by a lot. Over 70% completion rate, and over 11 yards per attempt.
    Yes, and Chris Weinke won the Heisman too.

Mayfield I think goes in the 4th or 5th round. College starter, NFL backup, cant outrun the police.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    But it was PFT, ESPN, Kiper, Steelersdepot, and just about everybody but WalterFootball. They were all pegging him at a 3rd round pick despite his performances. I'm just saying that its funny all the hacking he got, yet I thought he was probably the best QB in the draft and definitely didn't get the Kizer hype.
    Yeah I can get behind that. But the thing is, most of those sources are just cutting and pasting "Scouting" from the same sources. It gets to be group-think and it is often so blatant that you can read the exact cut and pastes.

On the other hand, there were plenty of other sources (all of which are readily available) that wrote and showed how Watson was well positioned to be successful in the NFL if he put in the work that almost all college QBs need to do.

Kizer is another classic example of people falling in love with a size/arm strength prospect. I saw plenty of sites that pointed out that he processes the game at a glacial pace, stares down receivers, and exhibits several other potentially disastrous traits.

I guess it comes down to the very simple concept that teams need to watch these guys play and not worry so much about what the "pundits" say.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Yeah I can get behind that. But the thing is, most of those sources are just cutting and pasting "Scouting" from the same sources. It gets to be group-think and it is often so blatant that you can read the exact cut and pastes.

On the other hand, there were plenty of other sources (all of which are readily available) that wrote and showed how Watson was well positioned to be successful in the NFL if he put in the work that almost all college QBs need to do.

Kizer is another classic example of people falling in love with a size/arm strength prospect. I saw plenty of sites that pointed out that he processes the game at a glacial pace, stares down receivers, and exhibits several other potentially disastrous traits.

I guess it comes down to the very simple concept that teams need to watch these guys play and not worry so much about what the "pundits" say.
    I agree.

Some of the pundits and group think as you say, don't really look at much more than stats. Even Mel Kiper was hacking on Watson. If you watch games and see mechanics, demeanor under pressure, decision making, etc and factor in who they are playing with and who they are playing against, its good, but obviously not perfect.

I joke about Mayfield, but his footwork needs a lot and while LaMarr Jackson best ability is his athleticism, I think he has footwork and mechanics that teams can work with. I haven't watched Allen, but some evaluators that I like and have been consistent are saying good things. He may be the deal.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I agree.

Some of the pundits and group think as you say, don't really look at much more than stats. Even Mel Kiper was hacking on Watson. If you watch games and see mechanics, demeanor under pressure, decision making, etc and factor in who they are playing with and who they are playing against, its good, but obviously not perfect.

I joke about Mayfield, but his footwork needs a lot and while LaMarr Jackson best ability is his athleticism, I think he has footwork and mechanics that teams can work with. I haven't watched Allen, but some evaluators that I like and have been consistent are saying good things. He may be the deal.
    I haven't watched any of these guys and I won't until I get bored during the off-season and start thinking more about the draft.

But I will say this, a college QB who completes less than 60% of his passes for under 7 yards per attempt? I challenge anyone to find me a statistical comp for that player that had any success in the NFL. Closest I could come off the top of my head was Ryan Tannehill. But even his stats were slightly better. Other rough comps were McNAbb and Eli Manning - but both had good final years north of 60% completion and higher yards per attempt.

Again, I haven't watched this kid play, but he is going to have to absolutely jump off the tape to overcome his absolutely terrifying statistical snap-shot.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    no way he goes in the top 10, I've watched him play one full game in his career and that pretty much makes me an expert on everything anyone wants to know about Josh Allen

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    no way he goes in the top 10, I've watched him play one full game in his career and that pretty much makes me an expert on everything anyone wants to know about Josh Allen
    I actually agree with this. But NFL coaches are somewhat arrogant if that is the right word to use, they believe they can fix any prospect, so his report isn't shocking.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

What is everyone's thoughts on Will Grier?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    I actually agree with this. But NFL coaches are somewhat arrogant if that is the right word to use, they believe they can fix any prospect, so his report isn't shocking.
    the Cleveland Browns might take Josh Allen with the first pick

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Steelers scouts will be at the Oklahoma St. - West Virginia game.

Scouting Mason Rudolph AND Will Grier in one fell swoop.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

May get close to 1000 passing yards combined in that game. I'll be watching that one too.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Think how much social media you exposure the Steelers could garner if they draft Grier. His brothers have more followers than Justin Bieber.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Think how much social media you exposure the Steelers could garner if they draft Grier. His brothers have more followers than Justin Bieber.
    Bike vines for everyone!!!

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

It's all Mason Rudolph in the Grier-Rudolph matchup so far. Not a QB duel at all.

Grier has looked...frankly garbage.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    It's all Mason Rudolph in the Grier-Rudolph matchup so far. Not a QB duel at all.

Grier has looked...frankly garbage.

He is terrible...2 INT right now in this game

another interception....

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    3 now.

Look at it this way. His stock will fall after this one at this rate, so the Steelers can grab him.

Ugly throw by Rudolph.

WVU just scored two TD's on turnovers in less than a minute. It's now a one-score game.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Rudolph is looking like the second coming of Ben vs the Jags. I think we found our next Ben.

Now a pick 6 for Rudolph

In his defense, his receiver had a huge drop on 3rd down at the drive before and West Virginia has had a punt block for a TD after

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Am waiting for the Penn State game but this one is getting interesting.

make that 4 ints now

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    make that 4 ints now
    Yep seen enough of him and let The Browns draft him.

The QB draft class in 2018 is now less promising than before the season....

- - - Updated - - -

And remember, the scout of the steelers are in this game!

The QB draft class in 2018 is now less promising than before the season....

- - - Updated - - -

And remember, the scout of the steelers are in this game!
    Yep last class had a bad rap but this class don't look all that either.

- - - Updated - - -

Grier seems to hook up more to AJ Green then Dalton does.

Wasted trip for the scouts and Steelers won't have the draft picks to get Rudolph and Grier looks like trash. Hope the scouts at least enjoy a great dinner on the Steelers tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Yep seen enough of him and let The Browns draft him.
    They're not done destroying Kizer yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    They're not done destroying Kizer yet.
    They will trade for Cousins next year and ruin his career.

Scouts attend games all of the time, but when they specifically let you know, it’s to see how you handle the pressure. Grier failed miserably.

Josh Rosen is looking pretty average against UW today also, maybe this year's QB class really isn't all that good after all

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

We probably can cross Will Grier off the list