Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers Send Scouts To Watch Top QB Prospect

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Steelers Send Scouts To Watch Top QB Prospect

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Rosen has been impressive.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Moj, the NFL teams wont adapt game plans to what college spread offense QB's do. The last one they did that for was Bob Griffin and all that NFL defenses did was to call their friends in college and use their defensive schemes to defend the college offense that Shanny put in place for Bob. BTW, it involves disguising the read of the end and making the QB make the wrong choice to not hand it off....then it involves getting as many "hits on the QB as possible".

The hashmarks in NCAA are wider and the overall speed of defenses is slower, so RB's like Reggie Bush, or QB's like Bob Griffin can outrun defenders. In the NFL the hashmarks are wider and most players run a 4.3- 4.6 on defense and will chase down players going lateral. You gotta make hay vertically in the NFL, whether its running between the tackles or getting a QB some protection and throwing to small windows.

College coaches do what they can to win games and keep their jobs, not to develop players that fit an NFL system. NFL coaches need to win to keep their jobs and running a college offense gets you the Steve Spurrier or Bobby Petrino treatment.

You're correct. The field gets so compressed if the offense is unable to produce anything vertically. The defense just keeps playing downhill and all the coverages get tighter and tighter like a noose. The NFL game is definitely more of a North/South game. You can get the corner with misdirection sometimes or with a reverse or bootleg action, but to just consistently do toss sweeps and take the ball to the boundary and down the sideline is something that really doesn't exist at the pro level.

In the passing game, only Peyton Manning and the Patriots have managed to have 80% of their success with crossing routes which are almost exclusively illegal pick plays to create separation. The Patriots and Tom Brady have made a living using the horizontal passing game. I know everyone uses it, but they have that as the foundation of everything they do in the passing game. Funny how it only works for them.

As for the college quarterbacks, I try to never make a final determination until they have completed their last year in school. A guy like Jackson is such a phenomenal athlete that if he can continue to make strides with his accuracy and ability to read defenses, he has a chance to be considered at the next level. I noticed an improvement in his game this year too. The real test is when they play a legitimate defense. Unfortunately, Louisville doesn't have a ton of strong defenses with big time talent on their schedule. The big numbers he puts up are impressive, but I truly believe that the lack of competition will hurt him in the draft process. If it's me, I need to see him do more against great defenses. When you don't play a tough schedule, he can't afford to come up small in big games like at the end of last year.

I just think that quarterbacks in the spread offenses are just a tougher evaluation because of the footwork, easier reads, play calls from the sideline, and the offenses just seem to have a lot less anticipation throws because of the numbers game with the spread and what it dictates to the defense. It doesn't mean that they can't be great quarterbacks in the NFL, obviously. It just makes them harder to identify and evaluate the traits and abilities that translate directly to the next level.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The way Josh Allen is going so far, he just may fall to the Steelers.

Another unimpressive performance against a Power 5 team. A 49-13 destruction at home against Oregon. I know it's may not be all his fault, but thems the breaks.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

You've got to be joshing me...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The way Josh Allen is going so far, he just may fall to the Steelers in round 4.
    slight edit

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Louisville QB Lamar Jackson played a legit, big-time defense and didn't look the same as he does against weaker competition. His numbers at the end of the game looked OK, but during the time of the game when the outcome was decided, he had less than 200 yards passing, not many rushing yards, threw a pick-6, and had a lucky TD completion where it looked like he was throwing to another guy.

He still needs to improve and work on some things, and his offensive line just didn't match up with Clemson's front. He's an amazing athlete that had a huge run called back for a cut block that wasn't anywhere near the play, and is a very talented and dangerous player. He needs to be able to throw with more anticipation, and he still needs to work on his accuracy.

He's still fun to watch though! He still has a lot of time to get better.

Josh Rosen has no defensive help. Ergo, he feels like he has to do it all, which in turn, fosters his penchant for "gambling" (INTs). His overconfidence doesn't help, either (he thinks he can make impossible throws).

Anyway, Rosen vs. Fergeson was epic. Two legit R1 picks.

(Keep your eye on Fergeson.)

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Josh Rosen has no defensive help. Ergo, he feels like he has to do it all, which in turn, fosters his penchant for "gambling" (INTs). His overconfidence doesn't help, either (he thinks he can make impossible throws).

Anyway, Rosen vs. Fergeson was epic. Two legit R1 picks.

(Keep your eye on Fergeson.)

That game was awesome to watch. I thought it was the best game that I saw yesterday.

Riley Furguson outplayed Rosen yesterday.

Just as exciting is the play of Memphis WR Anthony Miller. He looks a little AB-like out there! He was fantastic.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

The way Josh Allen is going so far, he just may fall to the Steelers.
    In round 3....

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I thought there were several good games this week. UCLA/Mem was a shootout between 2 very good college QBs.(Football's version of a pitcher's duel) Florida/Tennessee was a chess match, mostly due to both team's lack of homerun talent this year. But it ended in typical FL/TN style. I have OleMiss/Cal recorded but haven't watched yet. Mason Rudolph was the unstoppable force against Pitt. USC/Texas went OT for the fans that like a little extra football. And how about SDState knocking off Stanford? That was a fun Saturday.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Shea Patterson of Ole Miss is only a sophomore, so not in a draft thread discussion yet. Put a pin in this name though. Kid can park the ball just about anywhere he wants to. Great pocket awareness too.

The PAC-12 is loaded.

Everyone knows Darnold and Rosen.
    Falk has had a resurgence.
    Herbert is rising... fast.
    Even Browning is a viable NFL QB.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Steelers send more scouts to Wyoming. Colbert to USC-ND game.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/10...-quarterbacks/

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Steelers send more scouts to Wyoming. Colbert to USC-ND game.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/10...-quarterbacks/
    Ugh. No to both.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Steelers send more scouts to Wyoming.
    I watched Josh Allen very closely against the U of Hawaii which is not a good defensive team and tbh I was very unimpressed, I wouldn't want the Steelers to draft him.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I watched Josh Allen very closely against the U of Hawaii which is not a good defensive team and tbh I was very unimpressed, I wouldn't want the Steelers to draft him.

Allen hasn't looked very good this year. I know there are other issues with the team contributing to his play, but he certainly isn't playing like a quarterback you would want to take early in the draft.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

I never look at draft prospects this early but I've always read that Josh Allen has nothing as far as weapons are concerned and a shit O0line featuring 2 true freshman. Is the guy really that bad or is he just getting absolutely no help?
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

SEASON CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT RAW QBR ADJ QBR
    2017 107 192 1216 55.7 6.33 47 8 6 16 116.4 54.9 51.8
    2016 209 373 3203 56.0 8.59 54 28 15 27 144.9 74.2 73.8
    2015 4 6 51 66.7 8.50 19 0 0 0 138.1 - -
    *Career stats are updated nightly.

Allen's career stats are not so impressive either. 56% completion rate at less than 10 yards per attempt is pretty awful actually.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I'll wait until I see some breakdowns on these QB's during the draft process before I judge.

From Matt Miller, NFL teams like Josh Allen, even with his struggles. He has all the tools to be a successful QB, comparable to Ben.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    I'll wait until I see some breakdowns on these QB's during the draft process before I judge.

From Matt Miller, NFL teams like Josh Allen, even with his struggles. He has all the tools to be a successful QB, comparable to Ben.
    After watching him for the first time last night, I'll take Dobbs over that kid.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post

Allen's career stats are not so impressive either. 56% completion rate at less than 10 yards per attempt is pretty awful actually.
    Issues with accuracy and interceptions, no thank you

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Shame there wasting there time when the future QB is on our team named Golden.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Shame there wasting there time when the future QB is on our team named Golden.
    he took advantage of a "Golden Opportunity", Robert Golden is now a perfect 2-2 in his career. wonder what his career passer rating is?

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    he took advantage of a "Golden Opportunity", Robert Golden is now a perfect 2-2 in his career. wonder what his career passer rating is?
    Lol he is better then LJ.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post

eah. I want nothing to do with a college QB who can't hit "college open" passes because those won't be there in the NFL. Also, those yards per attempt point to a check down artist.

So, this guy is some sort of cross between Flacco and Alex Smith? Nope. Nope. Nope.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Issues with accuracy and interceptions, no thank you
    Interesting. Questionable interceptions and accuracy was a red flag for Deshawn Watson last year too. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...eshaun-watson/

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Interesting. Questionable interceptions and accuracy was a red flag for Deshawn Watson last year too. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...eshaun-watson/
    And all of that was basically a load of crap because people were not actually watching games.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...-watson-1.html

Watson was completing passes at a 67% clip and throwing downfield (average yards per attempt was over 12!)

Watson throw 17 INTS out of 579 attempts (so just under 3% of his passes are being picked). Allen is getting picked at just over 3%. So maybe that balances, but he is doing it at HALF the yards per attempt.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    And all of that was basically a load of crap because people were not actually watching games.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...-watson-1.html

Watson was completing passes at a 67% clip and throwing downfield (average yards per attempt was over 12!)

Watson throw 17 INTS out of 579 attempts (so just under 3% of his passes are being picked). Allen is getting picked at just over 3%. So maybe that balances, but he is doing it at HALF the yards per attempt.
    But it was PFT, ESPN, Kiper, Steelersdepot, and just about everybody but WalterFootball. They were all pegging him at a 3rd round pick despite his performances. I'm just saying that its funny all the hacking he got, yet I thought he was probably the best QB in the draft and definitely didn't get the Kizer hype.

Stats-wise, Baker Mayfield leads the pack by a lot. Over 70% completion rate, and over 11 yards per attempt.