Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coates to the Browns

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Coates to the Browns

Cates to Cleveland for a 6th.

Color me shocked.

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10285/sammie-coates

BurghBoy412

Re: Coates to the Browns

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Color me shocked.

Does this mean Hunter made the team?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Martavis is a Genius...

Senior Member Array title="Method28 is a name known to all">

Damn, hate to see us give the Browns someone thats actually shown some skill....but what else could we do. At least they got something out of hin

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

We got our Justin Gilbert 6th round pick back and gave up Coates and a 7th round pick in 2019.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Color me shocked.

When Ju Ju was drafted and they brought Hunter in it was insurance for Bryant that then put Coates in jeopardy

IMO the coaches did not like how Coates handled adversity after he was injured in the 2016 Jets game- Ben was loud and clear what he thought about the young receivers after the AFC championship loss

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I like it. Completely undid giving up a 6th for Justin f-ing Gilbert. Likely even end up trading in the 6th round

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Good move.

Coates is very soft, and has no hands. If he isn't absolutely wide open, he's not going to catch the ball. DB's also easily force him to the sideline. He also did not fight for the ball.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I can't get what Coates did to open the season out if my head. If he's that guy, the Browns just robbed the Steelers blind.

But all signs point to him not being that. If Hunter makes the roster, also pissed. The whole NFL knows Hunter isn't that guy. Why would he change now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt Coates will do anything in Cleveland anyway

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Great news, we even got a pick for him!

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Method28 View Post
    Damn, hate to see us give the Browns someone thats actually shown some skill....but what else could we do. At least they got something out of hin

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    don't worry, they'll suck whatever skill and life he has left right out of him like they do everyone else
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG Ī-

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

It sounds to me like he was getting cut and they were just looking to get something for him. I liked when we drafted him and liked his potential but he never showed the toughness and attitude that I expected out of him. I also expected his hands to improve but they got worse.
    “I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!” - Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I can't get what Coates did to open the season out if my head. If he's that guy, the Browns just robbed the Steelers blind.

But all signs point to him not being that. If Hunter makes the roster, also pissed. The whole NFL knows Hunter isn't that guy. Why would he change now?

I'm torn too........ but that guy from the first 5 games will probably never be seen again. At least not in Cleveland where there's no QB.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Coates is a slot machine. He either pays off once and a while or keeps taking your money often for no payout.

The knocks on him before the draft was inconsistent hands and doesn't track the deep ball well. You could see in his NFL combine workout that he wasn't a natural catcher of the football and "fought the catch" often. If he improved his hands, then he had a real chance to be a productive WR, but I just don't think that is going to happen consistently. What we saw those first few games is the potential that could be if he works on his hands and stays healthy, but I think JuJu and Hunter are better insurance for Bryant if he starts smoking the hippie lettuce again. Good move to get a pick for somebody that you were going to release.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

So it was Coates AND a 7 in 2019 for a 6 in 2018.......

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Better to let the Browns have him for a 6th, than to cut him out right and let Flacco throw moon balls to him against us.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Wasn't he originally a 2nd round pick? We lost overall on the deal.
    All Defense!

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Wasn't he originally a 2nd round pick? We lost overall on the deal.
    3rd round pick.
    “I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!” - Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

good riddance. hated that guy.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Smh.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Ok now who returns kicks? Knile, Frenchy, Coates gone.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Ok now who returns kicks? Knile, Frenchy, Coates gone.
    Take a Knee!..This is the only thing that I will ask to the news KR...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Take a Knee!..This is the only thing that I will ask to the news KR...
    Very true

That trade just sucks more the details emerge. Gave the Browns a borderline NFL wideout and a future 7th to get the Steelers own 6th rounder back?

Hopefully thats a low 6 - basically a high 7. Could've waited until draft day to pick up a 6th round pick for a future 7. No need to throw the player on top of it.

Not an argument for keepin Coates, but that return is barely anything. Ill trust the front office on this one, but it just doesn't look that good on paper.

That trade just sucks more the details emerge. Gave the Browns a borderline NFL wideout and a future 7th to get the Steelers own 6th rounder back?

Hopefully thats a low 6 - basically a high 7. Could've waited until draft day to pick up a 6th round pick for a future 7. No need to throw the player on top of it.

Not an argument for keepin Coates, but that return is barely anything. Ill trust the front office on this one, but it just doesn't look that good on paper.
    He was obviously going to be a cut.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    He was obviously going to be a cut.
    Sure. But what I don't get is that Coates, Hunter, and DHB are basically the same guy.

DHB has "veterans" I guess and Ive made that argument myself. Hunter just seems to not get any better ever. Coates was only a handful of games into his NFL career. He could still get better.

I guess I wish they could've pulled this same move off for Hunter instead of Coates. But what do I know?

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Unless Coates hands are damaged goods, this was a bad trade.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Sure. But what I don't get is that Coates, Hunter, and DHB are basically the same guy.

DHB has "veterans" I guess and Ive made that argument myself. Hunter just seems to not get any better ever. Coates was only a handful of games into his NFL career. He could still get better.
    To use some Tomlinisms, when Coates was handed the starter's job after Bryant was suspended the moment was too big for him and he blinked

Then he had the bad luck to get hurt when camp opened

The offseason moves showed the Steelers had little faith that Coates could ever be dependable and as this week's moves have shown are not in the mood to wait for improvement at any position

Coates was just an athlete who flashed in the pan for 5 games. He wasn't any good, and certainly Cleveland isn't going to get much of anything out of him