Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coates to the Browns

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Coates to the Browns

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Thomas had terrible hands and struggled with drops early in his career and was used as a long ball threat. Then in his third year he broke out:

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...T/ThomDe03.htm

I'm not arguing that Coates will do that, but I'm saying he could. That is why he had actual trade value - unlike Hunter or DHB.

I'm not trying to bash the move or tout a Coates "breakout". I'm just saying that Coates is more than the total junk that some across Steelers internet forums want to cast him as.

If he ever learns how to adjust to the ball in flight and play through the defender to the ball rather than around the DB -- Coates will start posting better #'s.

Again, likely won't happen. But the possibility is still there...
    Thomas was a rookie in 2010 and he had Tim Tebow in 2011....Thomas also destroyed the steelers in the WC game that year

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Thomas also benefited from having Peyton Manning entering his 3rd year which surely helped. Coates will be going from playing with Ben to being stuck in Cleveland. Coates is a lot like Mike Wallace without the year and a half of production

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I didn't love the trade at first but after a little time and the Wilcox trade, I like it a little better. I did like the fact that they got something for someone who was a potential roster casualty.

I look forward to seeing how Coates does now that he's "mentally stronger" and "healthy". I wish his production would've showed signs of those first games of 2016 but he fell so far down, there wasn't a glimmer of a sign. I think he will definitely do better than Hunter at WR and no doubt better than DHB at the position. He's got a leg up just based on opportunity.

Same with Markus Wheaton...look forward to seeing how he does with the Bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

I'm not trying to bash the move or tout a Coates "breakout". I'm just saying that Coates is more than the total junk that some across Steelers internet forums want to cast him as.
    Steeler message boards will always project somebody to be total junk and vilify any player that makes a mistake. Some of the notable exceptions are; if they are from Pitt, WVU or other local ties, are an undersized late round pick or UDFA(the underdog rule), if they make at least 1 great play in the preseason (the training camp hero rule).

Look to recent total junk players like Willie Colon who was beat on from day 1 as a Steeler, but still had a productive 10 year career
    Last edited by El-Gonzo Jackson; 09-05-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Ed B. of the P-G apparently not a big Coates fan based on this summation in his chat today

Coates? Always hurt, always seemed confused

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201709050093

If "confused" is code for could not learn the playbook and learn how to run routes (Ben seemed exasperated on several occasions with Coates about that) might explain why the Steelers said goodbye

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Ed B. of the P-G apparently not a big Coates fan based on this summation in his chat today

If "confused" is code for could not learn the playbook and learn how to run routes (Ben seemed exasperated on several occasions with Coates about that) might explain why the Steelers said goodbye
    Emilio: Why is Senquez Goldon not in the Steelers practice squad?
    Ed Bouchette: Maybe they could sign him to the NEVER PRACTICED squad.

Classic!!!
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

LOL,this is funny Ed!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

He wasn't hurt and he wasn't confused the first 5 games of last season.

I think Ed B likes to cover his complete lack of inside knowledge and laziness by bashing easy targets whenever he can. Ed sounds more confused when talking about Steelers issues that he should know than Coates ever sounded to me.

Douchette strikes again. Kicking a guy in the ass as he's heading out the door.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

BB's comments after the AFCCG were just the tip of the iceberg (in regards to how he felt about him). IMO, Coates was more talented & has more upside than some of the players that they kept... but, my gut says that BB wanted him gone.

Again they essentially traded a WR with numerous issues that they were going to cut anyway for sorely needed safety depth and they traded him to one of the most poorly run teams in the NFL, not sure why this trade is receiving pushback right now

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Again they essentially traded a WR with numerous issues that they were going to cut anyway for sorely needed safety depth and they traded him to one of the most poorly run teams in the NFL, not sure why this trade is receiving pushback right now
    Pushback???

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Pushback???
    Some are questioning trading a young talented player to a division rival though maybe pushback is too strong of a word, had trouble coming up with the right word while making the post

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    He wasn't hurt and he wasn't confused the first 5 games of last season.
    I was at Heinz in week 2 against the Bengals last year - Coates had some long gains and also quit on a route that resulted in a Bengals interception, after which Ben went over to Coates on the sideline to share his thoughts

Coates fell off the cliff after getting injured in week 5 against the Jets but there were issues going back to his rookie season

The Auburn product's season got off to a rough start when Mike Tomlin publicly criticized Coates' conditioning, and overall lack of knowledge of the team's offense, while local media constantly compared Coates to another Steelers mid-round draft pick with similar tangible skills in Martavis Bryant.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...rs-offense-and

And as Teegre posted above Ben was not feeling the love after the New England loss

How tough is it when guys like Sammie Cotes and Cobi Hamilton have given you one big play game at times. How tough is it when they didn't make those plays and those may have been plays you were counting on?
    BR: It's a little frustrating because we talk about sometimes it's just one play here, one play there and tonight we didn't make those plays. Was it too big? Was it just a, I don't know. We need to make every single play in a game like this against an opponent like this.

http://www.patriots.com/news/2017/01...ranscripts-122

Note Hamilton also is gone - if Bouchette delivered a kick today it after those from two others who definitely have insider knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Some are questioning trading a young talented player to a division rival though maybe pushback is too strong of a word, had trouble coming up with the right word while making the post
    Got it.

I am only speaking for myself, but allow me to clarify.

I think it was a GREAT trade. They traded a deep position that was 100% going to be cut, for a position of need. As far as why Coates (as opposed to Hunter), IMO, Coates burned his bridge with BB in the AFCCG.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Got it.

I am only speaking for myself, but allow me to clarify.

I think it was a GREAT trade. They traded a deep position that was 100% going to be cut, for a position of need. As far as why Coates (as opposed to Hunter), IMO, Coates burned his bridge with BB in the AFCCG.
    I can't put my "finger" on it but it may have been before that.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I really don't know why anyone is questioning this trade. He was going to get cut anyway so we did well with getting something for him. Seriously, what did Coates ever do other than run some streaks and screens? He never showed that he was capable of running anything else and he showed no ability to adjust to the ball or catch in traffic.

I liked his potential when we drafted him but I think that's all that he'll ever be, potential.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Not surprised. Soft as tissue paper.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    This is not really an attempt to defend Coates or Britt. I simply don't read or watch enough Browns coverage and games to know what is normal for either player.

But it is a 4th and 7 play down 14 points with 32 seconds left in the game. I mean even Coates can likely handle that basic math. Is it a great "look" for either guy? Not really. But it is garbage time.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    this has gotta be some kind of record
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    That's a joke, right?

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

We actually got something for letting him go

And to think that people on here were complaining about that trade.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Coates couldn't catch a cold during winter in Siberia. He is running out the clock on his contract and stealing a paycheck.
    All Defense!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Coates couldn't catch a cold during winter in Siberia. He is running out the clock on his contract and stealing a paycheck.
    In defense of Coates, I don’t think many people would catch a cold,during a Siberian winter...basically because there wouldn’t be a lot of people there to “pass” the virus and it’s a myth that the cold weather causes colds. It does however cause it indirectly because people stay inside where the rhinoviruses and influenza viruses fester.

So you could say that Coates couldn’t catch a cold during a Siberian Summer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    In defense of Coates, I don’t think many people would catch a cold,during a Siberian winter...basically because there wouldn’t be a lot of people there to “pass” the virus and it’s a myth that the cold weather causes colds. It does however cause it indirectly because people stay inside where the rhinoviruses and influenza viruses fester.

So you could say that Coates couldn’t catch a cold during a Siberian Summer as well.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Old Coates is tearing it up 1 catch for 11 yards. He's on the right team.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Old Coates is tearing it up 1 catch for 11 yards. He's on the right team.
    and it only took him 6 targets to get there!
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.