Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coates to the Browns

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Re: Coates to the Browns

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Sure. But what I don't get is that Coates, Hunter, and DHB are basically the same guy.

DHB has "veterans" I guess and Ive made that argument myself. Hunter just seems to not get any better ever. Coates was only a handful of games into his NFL career. He could still get better.

I guess I wish they could've pulled this same move off for Hunter instead of Coates. But what do I know?
    Hunter showed way more in TC and preseason than Coates did. He actually made plays. Coates is soft with bad hands and poor ball tracking. Hunter has never been on a team with a good QB. He also seems to get that this is probably his last chance in the NFL.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Would have been better not to give up the 7th round pick, but at least they net something for a player who hasn't shown much of anything in the NFL

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    He was obviously going to be a cut.
    Thank you for summarizing this transaction to those that think it was a bad deal.

If they cut him, they get nothing and that was going to happen. So this way, they swap a 7th round pick for a 6th round pick and Cleveland takes his $615,000 salary for this season. Movin' on to Justin Hunter....movin on.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Tomlin said it in an interview. There are no 3rd string positions. The farther you get from starting, the more you need to offer on ST. AB and Rogers look to be our PR and KR for now. I thought Coates would stick for one more season. I also thought Davis would be Colbert and Haley's pet project this season. Wrong on both. Do we keep Trey Williams for PR and Terrell Watson for KR? Not sure the direction so far. Been a fun ride today.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Coates was good for 5 games and then terrible the rest of the season, off season and training camp. Someone called it in here that they may be able to trade him to a division rival. Better to get rid of him and his salary than cut him and get nothing. Hunter has at least shown life and DHB can play special teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The draft rule of thumb is a year later diminishes a pick by a full round. So, the R7 pick a year later is equivalent to a R8 pick (URFA).

Regardless, even if the rounds stayed the same, the Steelers moved to the top of R6, from the bottom of R7. Add in a few compensatory picks, and the Steelers traded Coates in order to move up 60 spots in the draft (for a guy who was going to get cut anyway). Not too shabby.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

It may work out, but don't forget that Hunter has never had even a 5 game stretch as good as Coates pre injury in his entire career.

The draft picks are a push for me.

Hope Hunter surprises me. He is an excellent candidate for a Richard Mann rehabilitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I'd take the potential of Hunter on the Steelers than the disaster that was Coates on the Steelers.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Great news. It's even better that it is in our division. One less WR to cover.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I'd take the potential of Hunter on the Steelers than the disaster that was Coates on the Steelers.
    I really hope I am wrong. But they are the SAME guy.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...C/CoatSa00.htm
    https://www.pro-football-reference.c...H/HuntJu00.htm

And Hunter was cut by 2 teams that are rolling with hot garbage at WR instead. I guess Tennessee is at least trying draft picks, but still.

I was really excited about the Hunter move in the off-season. Then even more so early in camp. And then the pads came on and Hunter does what Justin Hunter does. Drops ball, plays soft, and basically disappears for massive stretches.

I mean the bottom line is that I'm wringing my hands over the last WR on the roster - so pretty much the opposite of a big deal.

In both the moves the Steelers made today, I see more "potential"/"upside" in the guy they traded than the player they kept instead. But, they are also professional evaluators of football players and I am so dude on my computer. Wanna guess who is most likely right?

I really hope I am wrong. But they are the SAME guy.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...C/CoatSa00.htm
    https://www.pro-football-reference.c...H/HuntJu00.htm

And Hunter was cut by 2 teams that are rolling with hot garbage at WR instead. I guess Tennessee is at least trying draft picks, but still.

I was really excited about the Hunter move in the off-season. Then even more so early in camp. And then the pads came on and Hunter does what Justin Hunter does. Drops ball, plays soft, and basically disappears for massive stretches.

I mean the bottom line is that I'm wringing my hands over the last WR on the roster - so pretty much the opposite of a big deal.

In both the moves the Steelers made today, I see more "potential"/"upside" in the guy they traded than the player they kept instead. But, they are also professional evaluators of football players and I am so dude on my computer. Wanna guess who is most likely right?
    I won't argue with you. My feeling is very similar although I guess I'd rather see what The potential of Hunter may be versus what we know Coates is. Hunter has a "real" team around him now...Coates had a real team and they were the same player. Hunter on the Bills/Titans equaling Coates on the Steelers should theoretically mean that Hunter on the Steelers would be better than Coates on the Steelers. Or maybe it's just wishful thinking...lol.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Not to pat my own back, but I called the Coates trade to a division team in another thread. Also, called the Cockrell trade in the same post. Does that make me an insider?

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Not to pat my own back, but I called the Coates trade to a division team in another thread. Also, called the Cockrell trade in the same post. Does that make me an insider?
    Good work by you. Was trying to give you props but couldn't remember where or who said it.

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

if you are a WR and join the Steelers, please don't choose number 14.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayC View Post
    if you are a WR and join the Steelers, please don't choose number 14.
    QBs neither.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Good work by you. Was trying to give you props but couldn't remember where or who said it.
    Appreciate it brother!

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

At least Coates has a chance to get on the field in Cleveland and show how many drive killing passes he can drop. The Steelers did him a favor by offering some opportunity for redemption.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Coates was indeed a younger version of DHB. Well on his way to being a good ST player. That's not what we need right now. Hunter is not, has not ever been, a ST player. If he doesn't show up this season, this is a bad trade. In that Hunter should have been the one traded. DHB holds no value in trade, or as a WR really. IMO, Coates had the bigger upside of the 3. We will see who we get for him in the draft.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Steelers are going to regret this trade when Coates torches Haden for 180 yards and 2 td's next week.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Basically they traded Coates for JJ Wilcox, they used the 6th round pick to acquire him and then recouped the 7th round pick. In light of that, getting rid of Coates looks even better

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Basically they traded Coates for JJ Wilcox, they used the 6th round pick to acquire him and then recouped the 7th round pick. In light of that, getting rid of Coates looks even better
    Until Coates beats Wilcox over the top next Sunday

Lol...ouch

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

FWIW Peter King thinks the Browns did well with the Coates acquisition

I like Sammie Coates in Cleveland—a big, imposing receiver who got trumped by Martavis Bryant’s return....

One contributing player was acquired Saturday, when the Browns got the better end of a deal, trading a sixth-round 2018 pick to Pittsburgh for a 2015 third-round receiver from Auburn, Sammie Coates, plus Pittsburgh’s seventh-round pick in 2019.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/04/cl...ick-stats-mmqb

As has been discussed, it is not as if the Steelers traded someone that had locked up a roster spot

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    FWIW Peter King thinks the Browns did well with the Coates acquisition

I like Sammie Coates in Cleveland—a big, imposing receiver who got trumped by Martavis Bryant’s return....

One contributing player was acquired Saturday, when the Browns got the better end of a deal, trading a sixth-round 2018 pick to Pittsburgh for a 2015 third-round receiver from Auburn, Sammie Coates, plus Pittsburgh’s seventh-round pick in 2019.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/04/cl...ick-stats-mmqb

As has been discussed, it is not as if the Steelers traded someone that had locked up a roster spot
    Straight trade, yeah the Browns got the better part of the deal. A viable NFL player with potential is far more of a sure thing than a low round pick.

Im starting to think that the Wilcox trade or something like it was already in the works. If you look at the entire series of trades, Coates become Wilcox. That is far less of a clear win.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

I think we all need to admit there is a possibility that Coates grows into a Demaryius Thomas type WR.

Now do I think that will happen, not really -- but the physical tools are all there.

Justin Hunter better have one whale of a season is all I'm saying.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

I think we all need to admit there is a possibility that Coates grows into a Demaryius Thomas type WR.

Now do I think that will happen, not really -- but the physical tools are all there.

Thomas?....NO...Coates will never have 90-100 catch in a season...His celling is maybe Mike Wallace in 2010 and 2011.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

No chance in Hell of that happening. Not really sure why you think Coates has those kind of tools. He's big and fast but plays soft with stone hands.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

Now all he has to do is get his hands "a thousand times stronger." But hopefully, not soon.

He had that great start last year, then all the problems that snowballed.

I still would have kept him over DHB. But DHB having no trade value at all kind of sealed the deal on how things worked out.

Thomas had terrible hands and struggled with drops early in his career and was used as a long ball threat. Then in his third year he broke out:

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...T/ThomDe03.htm

I'm not arguing that Coates will do that, but I'm saying he could. That is why he had actual trade value - unlike Hunter or DHB.

I'm not trying to bash the move or tout a Coates "breakout". I'm just saying that Coates is more than the total junk that some across Steelers internet forums want to cast him as.

If he ever learns how to adjust to the ball in flight and play through the defender to the ball rather than around the DB -- Coates will start posting better #'s.

Again, likely won't happen. But the possibility is still there...