Thread: Coty Sensabaugh gets first team reps over Ross Cockrell

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Coty Sensabaugh gets first team reps over Ross Cockrell

The Pittsburgh Steelers couldn’t have been happy about their defensive performance against the Atlanta Falcons in Week 2 of the NFL preseason, and no one would argue with them. The unit couldn’t get off the field on third down, and one cornerback, who hasn’t had the best preseason to date, was being beaten repeatedly. That cornerback would be Ross Cockrell.

Cockrell, who is set to be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the 2017 season, has been burned on more than one occasion this preseason, and it was very evident against Atlanta last Sunday.

After the team digested the film, it wasn’t Cockrell getting first team reps at practice, but veteran journeyman Coty Sensabaugh.

Re: Coty Sensabaugh gets first team reps over Ross Cockrell

Good thing the coaching staff is trying to put the best players on the field ...

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Good thing the coaching staff is trying to put the best players on the field ...
    I agree. Sometimes I feel like they wait too long. I understand why they wait, they want continuity, but at some point you have to try something else. Maybe this will be a wake-up call to Cockrell to get his head out of his ass and start playing ball.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Imo, by December, Burns, Sutton, Hilton will be the trio at corner.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

All the vets got plenty of opportunity to show what they can do. Nobody has said, Oh man those guys are good!

They need to see what the rookies can do knowing the risk of playing rookies. However, you need to know how they will operate in a game situation. Very rarely does a rookie QB leave the bench when the starting QB goes down to injury, never to return. Hopefully, we have something in our new DBs.
    All Defense!

PITTSBURGH - Like David Bowie, the Steelers still don’t know what they’re waiting for in their secondary.

But like Bowie in his famous song, it could include plenty of changes.

Wednesday might have given a glimpse into some of those shifts in the lineup as veteran free agent signing Coty Sensabaugh saw plenty of action with the first-team defense, trading time with Ross Cockrell, while first-year corner Mike Hilton saw time with the first-team nickel defense in the slot, splitting time with William Gay.

read more

http://www.observer-reporter.com/201...nhOnLQ.twitter

Coty Sensabaugh: Similar to Tyson Alualu, a pleasant surprise. Sensabaugh doesn’t have elite physical tools but really strong ball skills. Maybe the second best on the team. Wish I would’ve tracked the number – maybe something for next year – but he was probably third on the team in pass breakups. Sensabaugh isn’t the most reliable tackler but certainly has the want-to and will support it with a high level of effort. He’s likely to be the top backup at both outside spots and maybe even in the slot, too. He didn’t see any reps there in camp but he’s played there in the past and asking Mike Hilton to step in would present its own challenges.

Camp Grade: B+

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08...ap-cornerback/

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

IF Sensabaugh is the no. 2 corner, this team is in trouble

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

And they say Tomlin doesn't learn anything from mistakes.

Ross Cockrell has become a total liability and a weak link in the secondary. Nip it in the bud before it gets worse.

BurghBoy412

Does anybody believe Ross Cockrell may get cut? After his last performance, a poor training camp, and the addition of 2 young CB's via the draft. It wouldn't surprise me if Cockrell ends up getting his walking papers on cut down day. At this point I'm confident the team could find a better player on the open market after cut down. His physical abilities do not come close to matching what his job will require.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    No doubt. Sensabaugh is not a good player. I hope that Sutton gets healthy quick.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Sutton could be what Burns was for us in 2016....Remember Burns almost miss the entire training camp and the entire preseason last year.

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    No doubt. Sensabaugh is not a good player. I hope that Sutton gets healthy quick.
    Likewise. Sensabaugh has pretty much the same career numbers as Cock. He has a more tackles and assists simply because he's been in the league longer. Career INT's are identical at 2. Lord I hope Sutton gets healthy and stays healthy.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Sutton could be what Burns was for us in 2016....Remember Burns almost miss the entire training camp and the entire preseason last year.
    And he's getting healthy, about the same time Burns did last year. (Burns did play in the 4th preseason game)
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    And he's getting healthy, about the same time Burns did last year. (Burns did play in the 4th preseason game)

And I think that Sutton will play against the Colts.

And I think that Sutton will play against the Colts.
    Yep, hopefully he will.

Sooner the better, cause I can see him starting by December.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Yep, hopefully he will.

Sooner the better, cause I can see him starting by December.
    I hope that if our 2nd corner is not good enough and Sutton can be the solution that he will be our 2nd corner before the steelers have a losing streak.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

maybe he surprises us all but I am not thrilled about this being our best option ,I was only luke warm on his signing and hoped he wouldnt even make the team at final cuts and now he is being looked at as a potential starter ....

#UGH
    somehow I hope quick study ( slightly smaller than I prefer on the outside ) Rookie Sutton kills it these next 2 weeks and takes the job

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    maybe he surprises us all but I am not thrilled about this being our best option ,I was only luke warm on his signing and hoped he wouldnt even make the team at final cuts and now he is being looked at as a potential starter ....

#UGH
    somehow I hope quick study ( slightly smaller than I prefer on the outside ) Rookie Sutton kills it these next 2 weeks and takes the job

And Ross Cockrell ultimately ends up getting cut. Dream scenario

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

And people wonder why we keep Senquez Golson around.

BurghBoy412

And there better off with Cockrell?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

at the 30 yard line Cockrell should have stuck his first in the chest of the WR , disrupting the route but he never made that attempt and instead ran right past Ross and almost instantly had him beat by a step and a half

- - - Updated - - -

for whatever reason it placed my reply above inside of the post I quoted ( and I posted after the ) [quote/] is this a new bug ?

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Cockroll has been the weak link in the defense since he has been here! Cut the bum, at least Tennessee can pick him up. His only talent is tackling the catch and sure DL could use him in Tennessee!