Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Zeise: The Steelers need to sign Colin Kaepernick immediately

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Paul Zeise: The Steelers need to sign Colin Kaepernick immediately

The Steelers don’t have a healthy legitimate backup quarterback right now. That isn’t to suggest that rookie Josh Dobbs is a bust, it’s just clear he isn’t ready yet. And it is also clear he won’t be ready with a few more weeks of practice, either.

Dobbs has an interesting skill set, he has some natural talent and he has all the physical tools to be a good quarterback. Sunday, though, he showed yet again that his decision making is suspect, he isn’t terribly consistent with his throws and he still needs a lot of work on his footwork and fundamentals.

He is only starting and playing because backup quarterback Landry Jones is out with an abdominal injury. Jones is back practicing — sort of — but that is the kind of injury that could linger all season.

There is way too much on the line for the Steelers to gamble with their backup quarterback position. This is a team that is built to compete for a Super Bowl. As such, they need a legitimate backup quarterback who has proven he can win NFL games. Ben Roethlisberger has generally been durable but is getting old.

read more

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/z...s/201708210119

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Re: Paul Zeise: The Steelers need to sign Colin Kaepernick immediately

Why? I would have the punter take over the QB spot before ever signing that sack of....
    Hater = Realist

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Dobbs has an interesting skill set, he has some natural talent and he has all the physical tools to be a good quarterback. Sunday, though, he showed yet again that his decision making is suspect, he isn’t terribly consistent with his throws and he still needs a lot of work on his footwork and fundamentals.
    Which are reasons 1 and 2 why Kaepernick still doesn't have a job...

There are many bad teams out there that need help at quarterback that have passed on Colin Kaepernick. He is a polarizing figure, whether you agree with him or not, and bad teams rightfully believe he isn’t worth the backlash because he isn’t good enough to significantly raise their profile as a team.

That’s different than the situation the Steelers are in as one of the best teams in the league. Kaepernick has already proven he can take a good team to the Super Bowl.
    Sure, that's why Seattle passed on him. The bottom line is HE ISN'T A GOOD ENOUGH QB TO JUSTIFY THE BAGGAGE HE BRINGS, PERIOD. And he should have thought twice before he decided to try and become a SJW.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Don't want any player on this team that doesn't represent this country. Neither does James Harrison, so it's not going to happen, nor should it.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Don't want any player on this team that doesn't represent this country. Neither does James Harrison, so it's not going to happen, nor should it.
    Harrison doesn't care, he's on recorded saying "it's their right" if they want to sit.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

he showed yet again that his decision making is suspect, he isn’t terribly consistent with his throws
    One is a rookie quarterback who has room to grow and develop, doesn't cost much and doesn't have baggage attached to him.

The other basically already plateaued at this stage of his career, costs far more money, and brings a shitload of media baggage to himself and those around him.

Take your pick on who would you want the Steelers to hold on to.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Based on the current roster and who is available on the free agent marketplace - this is the most talented QB depth chart the Steelers could field:

Ben R.
    Kaepernick
    Dobber

I personally don't really care either way. If Ben R goes down for more than 3 games, the Steelers will struggle to make the post-season. If he goes down for the post-season, they won't win a SB.
    So depending on what your goals as a fan and a team are -- you may or may not have really strong feelings on the QB depth chart.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

my QB depth chart would be

Ben
    Dobbs

or

Ben
    Matt Schaub ( if Atlanta cuts him )
    Dobbs

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    my QB depth chart would be

Ben
    Dobbs

or

Ben
    Matt Schaub ( if Atlanta cuts him )
    Dobbs
    Fair enough. I just can't shake how bad the last time we all saw Matt "pick six every time" Schaub throw in real NFL action.

Like I said in the preseason thread, I think the later cutdown deadline this season will mean less guys getting signed. You either make the team you went to camp with or you don't make a team. Very few players will be able to get on "the moving train" this late in the pre-season process.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Fair enough. I just can't shake how bad the last time we all saw Matt "pick six every time" Schaub throw in real NFL action.

Like I said in the preseason thread, I think the later cutdown deadline this season will mean less guys getting signed. You either make the team you went to camp with or you don't make a team. Very few players will be able to get on "the moving train" this late in the pre-season process.

100% agree , moving trains are tough ... but for a backup Veteran QB I could still see a market because well everyone hopes he never sees the field anyways

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Here is mine QB depth chart if BR goes down

Landry
    Dobbs
    Anyone but Kaepernick and Vick
    Hater = Realist

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Much rather have Jones and Donna than anything else suggested in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Keep him away from my team...I will watch 0 games if he puts on a Steelers jersey.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Is Kaepernick even prepared to play football in the first place? As far as I can tell, he's spent the entire offseason and a good part of last year's regular season marching around complaining about politics. Not to mention he was already known as a half-present, low-focus kind of guy even when he was winning games in San Francisco. If your mind is elsewhere to that extent, I have my doubts as to whether you'd be effective anyway, even if you were good.

Is he going to come in knowing the playbook and having practiced with the offense? Or would it be like Michael Vick, coming in at the last minute knowing like 10 plays and trying to wing it on instinct, to the tune of 40 passing yards a game?

All this on top of the obvious, which is that nobody likes him because he's a fuckball. I know the media are absolutely breaking their necks to try to get him a job and strike a blow for social justice, but here in the real world he's just a shitty quarterback with a shitty attitude, so no thanks. They all scream that he's being "blacklisted," but really it's just that 32 GMs are looking at the same exact thing and drawing the same exact conclusion that is obvious to everyone.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Seems like Paul Zeise at the Post-Gazette has been advised by his bosses at the Post-Gazette to get his page clicks up by posting ridiculous hot takes to stir readers up

If the Steelers lose this weekend in preseason week three maybe Zeise can submit a post that it is time for Tomlin to go and to bring back Cowher

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    Keep him away from my team...I will watch 0 games if he puts on a Steelers jersey.
    What was your thoughts when James Harrison beat the shit out of his girlfriend?

Wanted to stop watching? Stop rooting for him?
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Paul Zeise needs a drug test.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post

Big difference - Harrison was coming off an 8.5 sack and second team All Pro 2007 season

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...tm#all_all_pro

"There is always room on TV for a man who can beat people to jelly in nine flat" - Hunter S. Thompson Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Big difference - Harrison was coming off an 8.5 sack and second team All Pro 2007 season

Basically "It's fine if you beat your girlfriend as long as you play well on the field." Holy f'n shit.

Kaepernick would be one of the better back up QB's in the league, hell, he produced for the 49ers as a starter even though they have been a shit show(front office) and rebuilding. Remember when the 49ers had a team with legit talent? He almost won the Super Bowl.

There is no doubt in my mind he can produce on another team, he would be a way better signing for Miami than Jay Cutler.

Basically "It's fine if you beat your girlfriend as long as you play well on the field." Holy f'n shit.

Kaepernick would be one of the better back up QB's in the league, hell, he produced for the 49ers as a starter even though they have been a shit show(front office) and rebuilding.

There is no doubt in my mind he can produce on another team, he would be a way better signing for Miami than Jay Cutler.
    While Kap may not be a good move for this roster -- there are at least 3 and as many as 5 starting spots he could be an improvement over and about twice as many back-up spots.

This is a league that is most likely going to start Bortles, Goff, Osweiler, and Glennon in Week 1. That doesn't even cover what horrid option the Jets eventually land on. We haven't even started to discuss the sad state of affairs that is the #2 spot across the league.

But the most important thing is to remember: ANGRY POLITICAL OPINION HERE!!!!! LOUD STATEMENT ABOUT SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE MEDIA!!!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

IIRC, at the time the only thing clear was that he kicked down a door, and he wasn't directly accused or charged with anything, and it wasn't until years later that the whole story came out.

So that seems like a question asked for no other purpose than to elicit an answer that would either be auto-attacked or brushed off depending on what it is.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Sorry my cynicism concerns you - are you saying that is not how the NFL operates?

I posted this last week in response to a discussion in the Marshawn Lynch thread of alleged threats to quit watching if players do not stand for the Star-Spangled Banner

Quote Originally Posted by SCSTILLER View Post
    Question, what would any fans do if one of the Steelers players sat or kneeled for the National Anthem? I know I would be done with pro football all together, my man/Steelers cave would be stripped and all stuff given away. They have a right to protest, I have a right to not watch and spend my money else where. Only exception would be is if the Steelers organization chastised said player and condemned his actions and he stood from that point forward, I might in that instance keep watching and keep the Steelers cave.
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    At least 99% of the fans would keep watching.

Do not recall any drop off in viewing habits or attendance when Ernie Holmes wounded a police officer while shooting at a police helicopter in the 70s and did not miss a down, the starting QB was accused of multiple sexual assaults, this happened to the 2008 defensive player of the year

Domestic violence charges were dropped Thursday against Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison, who was arrested in early March after hitting his girlfriend.Allegheny County prosecutors announced the decision as a judge was preparing to open a preliminary hearing for Harrison on charges of simple assault and criminal mischief.

"He has entered domestic abuse counseling. The victim did not request any further restitution and the victim did not wish to pursue further prosecution," said Mike Manko, a spokesman for the district attorney.

Harrison told police he and Beth Tibbott were arguing on March 8, and then he broke through her bedroom door, slapped her in the face and snapped her cell phone in half.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=3327255

and this happened to the receiver who caught the winning TD pass in SB XLIII

On June 19, 2006, in Franklin County, OH, Santonio Holmes was arrested and charged with domestic violence and assault stemming from an alleged incident with the mother of one of his children. In a police report, LaShae Boone said that Holmes, "chok[ed her], [threw] her to the ground, grabb[ed] her arms, and slamm[ed] her into a door, leaving her with bruises, pain, and a torn shirt." Holmes pleaded not guilty to the charges. Boone would not testify in court.

The charges were later dismissed by a Franklin County Municipal Court judge after Holmes' two lawyers said that their client would participate in ongoing counseling offered through the NFL. In an interview with press after the hearing, Holmes said, "It doesn't mean anger management classes. It just means I needed someone else to talk with about all the situations and to get an understanding of what was going on."

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/9ae7p3/santonio-holmes-wide-receiver-accused-of-domestic-violence-and-assault

Fans including me (and including you?) cheered for Harrison, Roethlisberger, Santonio Holmes and Ernie Holmes (who may be before your time) after they engaged in conduct far more deplorable than failing to stand for the national anthem.

Virtually all fans quit cheering and teams cut a player loose only when the player quits producing for their team - I am not condoning it, just stating a fact.

Jerry Seinfeld put it well

I just don't get what is so threatening about some one else believing and acting differently than what you believe?

An individual chose to protest in about the least confrontational manner possible, did not advocate violence or disobedience towards any individuals or groups, and did not demand anyone else participate.

How is that such a table banging mouth foaming angering issue?

Dude may or may not be knowledgeable on the issue(s) he has chosen to advocate for. Personally, I stopped listening a long time ago. I suspect that I know far more about the particular issues than Kaepernick does. Plus, for me, if you don't vote - you can't complain.

All that being said, I could give a crap what his political views are if he would help the team win ballgames.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I just don't get what is so threatening about some one else believing and acting differently than what you believe?

An individual chose to protest in about the least confrontational manner possible, did not advocate violence or disobedience towards any individuals or groups, and did not demand anyone else participate.

How is that such a table banging mouth foaming angering issue?

Dude may or may not be knowledgeable on the issue(s) he has chosen to advocate for. Personally, I stopped listening a long time ago. I suspect that I know far more about the particular issues than Kaepernick does. Plus, for me, if you don't vote - you can't complain.

All that being said, I could give a crap what his political views are if he would help the team win ballgames.

At least for me, I'm less disgusted with Kaepernick for his specific views than I am with him as the guy who dragged politics into a fucking football game.

Yes, you have a right to your opinion, but fuck you for polluting sports with it. That and video games were about the last two things you could do to just chill and be entertained without being bombarded with political bullshit constantly, and now one of them has been fucked up. Sports now has to have its share of Dead Serious with everyone's causes and social justice issues taking center stage. A lot of people are not happy about that.

Yes, I realize Kaepernick's not the first to do that, or the only one, and that he doesn't control all the media coverage ... but god damn, did he ever pick the one time when people were sick and tired of politics and feeling attacked on all sides by it, and it was going to make tempers flare. Sorry bro, wrong venue wrong time; now people hate you for it and they've got just as much right to that opinion as you do yours.

And no, it didn't help that the manner in which he protested, combined with the way he carries himself overall, resulted in his "protest" looking like an immature shitfit from some punk kid, not a poignant struggle.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    At least for me, I'm less disgusted with Kaepernick for his specific views than I am with him as the guy who dragged politics into a fucking football game.

Yes, you have a right to your opinion, but fuck you for polluting sports with it. That and video games were about the last two things you could do to just chill and be entertained without being bombarded with political bullshit constantly, and now one of them has been fucked up. Sports now has to have its share of Dead Serious with everyone's causes and social justice issues taking center stage. A lot of people are not happy about that.

Yes, I realize Kaepernick's not the first to do that, or the only one, and that he doesn't control all the media coverage ... but god damn, did he ever pick the one time when people were sick and tired of politics and feeling attacked on all sides by it, and it was going to make tempers flare. Sorry bro, wrong venue wrong time; now people hate you for it and they've got just as much right to that opinion as you do yours.

And no, it doesn't help that the manner in which he protested, combined with the way he carries himself overall, resulted in his "protest" looking like an immature shitfit instead of a poignant struggle.
    Fair enough. I find it super easy to tune most of the political stuff out - at least for sports. I've cut out sports radio and haven't missed it AT ALL. I stay off "popular" sports websites and comment threads (ESPN, SI, FOX, etc) and have not missed that either. And I haven't had cable for years - so no 24/7 nonsense programming.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    A-Freaking-Men

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Oh HELL NO !! Fk that communistic piece of SHIT ! That's my opinion, just as he is entitled to his. But, as a veteran, anyone who disrespects my flag by sitting during the national anthem better be in a wheel chair.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

He would be a locker room cancer.
    All Defense!