Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paul Zeise: The Steelers need to sign Colin Kaepernick immediately

Re: Paul Zeise: The Steelers need to sign Colin Kaepernick immediately

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    What was your thoughts when James Harrison beat the shit out of his girlfriend?

Wanted to stop watching? Stop rooting for him?
    Not even close to being the same. James Harrison immediately returned to the place of the incident once the police were there, admitted his involvement, readily accepted the consequences (including counseling), and has never engaged in that behavior again. It was a one-time mistake. As much as I despise domestic violence, I also can appreciate a man who owns up to his actions and changes his ways immediately after.

K.? Yeah, not so much. He has no concept of the problems he brings teams because he wants to selfishly make an individual statement while representing a team. As was already said, leave the politics off the field of play. It doesn't belong there.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Fair enough. I find it super easy to tune most of the political stuff out - at least for sports. I've cut out sports radio and haven't missed it AT ALL. I stay off "popular" sports websites and comment threads (ESPN, SI, FOX, etc) and have not missed that either. And I haven't had cable for years - so no 24/7 nonsense programming.
    I pretty much do the same, but at the same time I am less than pleased that "tuning out" the political bullshit means avoiding a majority of sports shows and websites entirely. It was much better when sports news sources were about sports, and social commentary only came up occasionally, such as when there was a major scandal involving a player, not every 30 seconds over everything.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Here is a simple two part answer as to why Krapernick doesn't have a job.

1. He's garbage. He has been a bad QB for at least 2 years now, probably 3. He can't read defenses, doesn't put in the work, is inaccurate, never was anything more than a slightly above average QB who barely topped 3,000 yards and 20 TDs with a great supporting cast at his best, and the one thing he did have going for him ever in his career, his speed/mobility may be diminishing at age 30. So yeah, let's not inflate the man's supposed ability

To this people will reply "BU BU BUT, UTHER KORTERBACKS WHO SUK HAV JOBS"

Which brings me to to the 2nd part which ties in to the first

2. He's a walking media circus that would bring too much attention and press to an NFL teams that the other shitty QBs don't. Do you really want to bring a media circus and also overpay for a guy who isn't any good? Of course not. Which is also why it would be wise for the Steelers to stay far away from him

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I compare things like this....Kap is better than Jones as a QB. Kap is a better QB than Dobbs. Until Harbaugh left and Tomsula completed his coup, Kap was a very good starter at SF. Anyone think Kelley is a personnel genuis?

I think Kap is a good QB. I think he could come cheap, especially at this point after he's been snubbed repeatedly this offseason. The demand simply is not there for him.

Flip side, he has agreed to stand for the anthem before games. Agree with him or not, he took a stance. Who better to show him the other side of that stance than AV, and the Rooneys?

I get it that people are angry with him for sitting during the national anthem, I do get that, and I don't disagree with that anger. However, this is football. If you believe Kap should keep his politics out of football, start by removing yours first. What is there to lose?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Kaepernick would be a great backup, but it would have too much distraction.

But the 2012 season was the only time that Kaepernick was very good and it was because nobody knew him and the read option was new at that time.

The Packers also did a good job of making Kaepernick a superstar every time the 49ers played against them in 2012 and 2013.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

No way Art takes this shit boot on his team.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I compare things like this....Kap is better than Jones as a QB.
    Others disagree - excerpts below from this article by Andy Benoit at SI.com earlier this summer

First off, what you’re about to read has zero to do with Colin Kaepernick’s protest of the National Anthem. For proof, here’s an article that I wrote in March 2016, before the protest, saying that Kaepernick would be out of the NFL before he won another 10 games as a starter.

That forecast appears to be coming true, because Kaepernick can’t even find work as a backup. And it’s mostly due to the same reason he couldn’t find work as a starter: teams don’t think he’s good enough....

Let me amend myself—there are actually 15 backup quarterbacks better than Kaepernick, and that doesn’t even include rookies Mitchell Trubisky, Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, DeShone Kizer and Davis Webb.

The list, in no particular order:

The list, in no particular order:

Jimmy Garoppolo, Patriots
    Matt Moore, Dolphins
    Colt McCoy, Washington
    A.J. McCarron, Bengals
    Chad Henne, Jaguars
    Geno Smith, Giants
    Drew Stanton, Cardinals
    Brock Osweiler/Cody Kessler, Browns
    Chase Daniel, Saints
    Derek Anderson, Panthers
    Nick Foles, Eagles
    Ryan Mallett, Ravens
    Matt Barkley, 49ers
    Landry Jones, Steelers
    Matt Cassel, Titans

Kaepernick is talented enough to be an NFL backup. In fact, I think he’s better than almost half of the backup QB in the league, but that’s it. With zero hesitation, I would take any of the 15 backups I listed before I’d take Kaepernick, because those 15 quarterbacks are all willing and able to play from the pocket....

Each backup has his own limitations, but none of them have an utter inability to operate on schedule and from the pocket, like Kaepernick does....

To sign Kaepernick, a team must be willing to take on the distraction that follows lightning rods. And the team must be willing to alter its entire offense (for worse). It’s not worth it, just like it wasn’t worth it a few years ago with Tim Tebow.

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/07/c...p-quarterbacks

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

No, the Steelers do NOT need to sign him. Whether you agree or disagree with him (I personally think he's an asshole) he would bring way too much of a media circus.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

That's the other thing about Kaepernick that the SI guy nailed. He was successful in a certain kind of offense, and when he was later asked to be a traditional passer, he sucked. You either have to go all-in on that style of offense or nothing. Otherwise, as we learned with Vick, you don't get a backup QB who brings an exciting new dynamic to the offense, you get the same offense with a guy who struggles to run it.

Say what you will about Jim Harbaugh, but that guy was an offensive genius. Most teams are not going to be able to have an entire second offensive game plan for the backup QB that they can execute well. His was one of the few teams that could. In fact, the 49ers were already running an unorthodox field-position kind of offense to cover up the shortcomings of Alex Smith, so it was even more impressive that they kept their shit together.

I don't think a lot of teams have the capacity to pull that off. I certainly don't think our coaching staff is even in the mindset to attempt it. So basically we're left with - shitty quarterback with a shitty attitude.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I compare things like this....Kap is better than Jones as a QB. Kap is a better QB than Dobbs. Until Harbaugh left and Tomsula completed his coup, Kap was a very good starter at SF. Anyone think Kelley is a personnel genuis?

I think Kap is a good QB. I think he could come cheap, especially at this point after he's been snubbed repeatedly this offseason. The demand simply is not there for him.

Flip side, he has agreed to stand for the anthem before games. Agree with him or not, he took a stance. Who better to show him the other side of that stance than AV, and the Rooneys?

I get it that people are angry with him for sitting during the national anthem, I do get that, and I don't disagree with that anger. However, this is football. If you believe Kap should keep his politics out of football, start by removing yours first. What is there to lose?
    Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

What was your thoughts when James Harrison beat the shit out of his girlfriend?

Wanted to stop watching? Stop rooting for him?
    James didn't "beat the shit out of his girlfriend". He hit her across the face with an open hand. It's not justified and shouldn't have happened but there's quite a big difference in what happened and what you're saying.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I saw Kaepernick hit the side of a barn once.

Once.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I saw Kaepernick hit the side of a barn once.

Once.
    Was he standing in the barn?

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

If you don't love it, leave it. I'm so sick of these attention whore players kneeling. Do they really believe they're making a statement? To me, the only message is f*** the police, as well as being a race thing. I will never support someone kneeling during the National Anthem. There's not a thing anyone can say to convince me otherwise.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    If you don't love it, leave it. I'm so sick of these attention whore players kneeling. Do they really believe they're making a statement? To me, the only message is f*** the police, as well as being a race thing. I will never support someone kneeling during the National Anthem. There's not a thing anyone can say to convince me otherwise.

first part of that statement reminds me of this song and I honestly couldn't agree more ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Kaepernick is not better than Goff. Goff throws a better ball the Kaepernick by far and has a better grasp of the position. kaeppeenick is a better athlete but Goff is a better QB prospect. Also the jury is still out of Kaepernick.

The other guys are all back up quality...as is Kaepernick. So in essence if it's not a major upgrade, why bother paying extra for little to no better output? It's not like Drew Brees or even Alex Smith are sitting out there where it would be a significant upgrade.

As for the Jets...they're in it to lose out...no doubt...they are battling the Bills for the #1 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Can he play tight end?

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

Amen brother...I concur!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

Basically "It's fine if you beat your girlfriend as long as you play well on the field." Holy f'n shit.

Kaepernick would be one of the better back up QB's in the league, hell, he produced for the 49ers as a starter even though they have been a shit show(front office) and rebuilding. Remember when the 49ers had a team with legit talent? He almost won the Super Bowl.

There is no doubt in my mind he can produce on another team, he would be a way better signing for Miami than Jay Cutler.
    Gase worked with Cutler in Chicago and even if he hadn't I'd take Jay Cutler over Kaepernick 10 times out of 10 regardless of Kaps stance.
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nadroj 20 View Post
    Gase worked with Cutler in Chicago and even if he hadn't I'd take Jay Cutler over Kaepernick 10 times out of 10 regardless of Kaps stance.
    I would also take Cutler over Kap. To me, it's about fielding the BEST football team.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I pretty much do the same, but at the same time I am less than pleased that "tuning out" the political bullshit means avoiding a majority of sports shows and websites entirely. It was much better when sports news sources were about sports, and social commentary only came up occasionally, such as when there was a major scandal involving a player, not every 30 seconds over everything.
    I hear ya. Problem for me is that whenever I do tune in to ESPN or the NFL network, I am hoping for detailed coverage of NFL tactics, strategy, rumored player movement, etc. Instead all I get is "TMZ NFL". Updates on who Tweeted what at who. Which player has a new high-profile girlfriend. Armchair psychoanalysis of cliched soundbites from prominent player and coach press conferences. Breathless coverage of media driven "feuds" between players and coaches or players and players. I could go on.

There is like 5 minutes of actual football coverage/news every 60 minutes of programming. Throw in the political commentary and I don't even understand why anyone would watch...

In contrast, I caught a solid hour of the MLB network in the airport the other week. They had a few highlight packages, a long segment with a detailed breakdown on why that rookie who looks like a leprechaun from teh Dodgers hits for so much power, an interesting retrospective on Dusty Baker, and then another segment on pitch framing. That's good sports tv right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I hear ya. Problem for me is that whenever I do tune in to ESPN or the NFL network, I am hoping for detailed coverage of NFL tactics, strategy, rumored player movement, etc. Instead all I get is "TMZ NFL". Updates on who Tweeted what at who. Which player has a new high-profile girlfriend. Armchair psychoanalysis of cliched soundbites from prominent player and coach press conferences. Breathless coverage of media driven "feuds" between players and coaches or players and players. I could go on.

There is like 5 minutes of actual football coverage/news every 60 minutes of programming. Throw in the political commentary and I don't even understand why anyone would watch...

In contrast, I caught a solid hour of the MLB network in the airport the other week. They had a few highlight packages, a long segment with a detailed breakdown on why that rookie who looks like a leprechaun from teh Dodgers hits for so much power, an interesting retrospective on Dusty Baker, and then another segment on pitch framing. That's good sports tv right there.
    No joke. The entire thing has been dumbed down to the point of being some vapid reality TV/soap opera time filler. It's like they're more interested in getting you tuned in to the drama surrounding the players off the field than on the game itself. Who knows, maybe that appeals to some people, makes them feel "closer" to the game or the players or something. It certainly seems to fit with the groupie-driven mentality that is being pushed relentlessly in every form of entertainment.

MLB and hockey. Those are the ones that still act as if they're running a sports competition first and a packaged entertainment "Experience" second, and act accordingly. I think it's no coincidence that they are the ones that have a little bit of a tougher "sell" than basketball and football to draw people in - they don't get the automatic lowest-common-denominator audience as a backstop - so they work hard at selling the sport, not the bullshit.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    No joke. The entire thing has been dumbed down to the point of being some vapid reality TV/soap opera time filler. It's like they're more interested in getting you tuned in to the drama surrounding the players off the field than on the game itself. Who knows, maybe that appeals to some people, makes them feel "closer" to the game or the players or something. It certainly seems to fit with the groupie-driven mentality that is being pushed relentlessly in every form of entertainment.
    The problem is that ESPN's non-live game programming was built around SportsCenter running scores and game highlights - I am old enough to remember in the pre-internet days that if you wanted scores in the evening before SportsCenter came on you had to watch the crawl across the bottom of the screen on what was then CNN Headline News (another programming concept that the internet killed)

Since anyone who wants highlights can now go online whenever they want ESPN has to figure out what draws viewers - given that ESPN axed a number of reporters this year the choice for now is talking heads over sports news.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

If you believe Kap should keep his politics out of football, start by removing yours first. What is there to lose?
    The problem is, my friend, this isn't politics. It's disrespect to our country in general. I could care less if the buffoon is a Republican or Democrat, hell I understand he didn't even vote....LOL, there is a statement in itself. I would venture to say he couldn't name a politician, senator, congressman of even his state. He's just a spoiled punk that can't make a name for himself by his play so he has to do it with his stupidity and disrespectful actions. Fk 'em.

- - - Updated - - -

AMEN my Friend !! I stand with you !

I mean any position on this issue is by definition political. There are numerous veterans, both individuals and groups, that support Kaepernick's stance (https://www.google.com/search?q=vete...utf-8&oe=utf-8). That is a political belief about what their service meant to/for them. Just as I am sure there are vets and veterans groups that do not support Kaepernick's decision. Which, is again, a political stance. Although, oddly enough Google was not forthcoming with many results on that search. Interesting...

I am by no means saying anyone has to agree, like, or even give a shit about what this dude has to say. But every response is a political response - like it or not.

Remember, this is the same league that got in a bit of PR trouble for funneling government dollars to the league and franchises for all those fancy flag ceremonies and fly-overs. The NFL's displays of patriotism are bought and paid for by our tax dollars. Which, is one hell of a political statement by the league and owners.
    Last edited by Mojouw; 08-22-2017 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    The problem is that ESPN's non-live game programming was built around SportsCenter running scores and game highlights - I am old enough to remember in the pre-internet days that if you wanted scores in the evening before SportsCenter came on you had to watch the crawl across the bottom of the screen on what was then CNN Headline News (another programming concept that the internet killed)

Since anyone who wants highlights can now go online whenever they want ESPN has to figure out what draws viewers - given that ESPN axed a number of reporters this year the choice for now is talking heads over sports news.
    Yeah. I remember both of those things. Video killed the radio star and internet killed decent information based television.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

I couldn't care less about his antics but understand why some of you do. He is just not a good QB.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

OK Admins....time to remove this piece of shit thread....just my opinion.

BurghBoy412

Let's all talk politics on a football forum. Yippee!!!

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/8/14/1...wn-free-agency

Interesting take on the (mostly) football side of things.