Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst starters of the steelers in 2017?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Worst starters of the steelers in 2017?

For me, it's easily Jesse James, but some think it's Ross Cockrell or Mike Mitchell.

Who is for you the worst starter of the steelers for the next season?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: Worst starters of the steelers in 2017?

Don't get me going on not drawing a TE!

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

It's James.

Mitchell is a very good safety. Now that he has a legit safety partner in Davis, fans will see that, we'll some anyways. (This team just made the conference championships and some fans want Tomlin fired. So obviously, everyone can't be happy)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Drawing with a ink pen, paint brush or pencil?
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    It's James.

Mitchell is a very good safety. Now that he has a legit safety partner in Davis, fans will see that, we'll some anyways. (This team just made the conference championships and some fans want Tomlin fired. So obviously, everyone can't be happy)

- - - Updated - - -

Drawing with a ink pen, paint brush or pencil?

LMAO!

On that TE note, McGee looks good as a blocker, hopefully he'll get more playing time this week.

A few plays from the last game.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08...ee-looks-part/

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Shoes, are those charcoal sketches perhaps?

Also, the worst starter is clearly TJ Watt. He has been handed a starting spot based on draft position not through proving it on the field.

In all seriousness, it has to be Jesse James.

The TE position is a problem that is under the radar.

I mean, some think that James is a good TE because of the playoffs games against the chiefs where James had huge gain on some catchs but it was because of a blow coverage by the Chiefs on his huge gain.

I was against to draft a TE in 2016, since the steelers had a huge need on defense(And I was confident with Green...), but now our defense is better, the next big need is the TE position.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Shoes, are those charcoal sketches perhaps?

Also, the worst starter is clearly TJ Watt. He has been handed a starting spot based on draft position not through proving it on the field.

In all seriousness, it has to be Jesse James.
    Yes, charcoal sketches of George Kittle going to SF.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Yes, charcoal sketches of George Kittle going to SF.
    I bet they are spectacular!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I bet they are spectacular!
    LMAO!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

1. Cockrell
    2. V. Williams
    3. James
    4. Mitchell

I'm not worried about J. James though. I think he takes a leap this year with his YAC.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    1. Cockrell
    2. V. Williams
    3. James
    4. Mitchell

I'm not worried about J. James though. I think he takes a leap this year with his YAC.
    I would be very surprised.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

[/B]
    LMAO!

On that TE note, McGee looks good as a blocker, hopefully he'll get more playing time this week.

A few plays from the last game.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08...ee-looks-part/
    McGee is a dark horse to make the 53, he's been very impressive with his blocking, think he makes the PS for sure.

Truthfully I hope they look to trade for a TE. I'd like to see them try to get someone like Niles Paul from Washington, not a big TE, but has solid receiving skills and good speed. Stealing Trey Burton from the Eagles would be great but no way they move him(would they move long time vet Brent Celek?). Vance McDonald from the 49ers would be intriguing, but SF would need to eat some of his money so that's probably unlikely.

Clearly The Steelers like James but he isn't truly a #1 TE, albeit I believe he'll be fine with the weapons around him. Grimble is just a guy at this point, just not consistent enough.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    1. Cockrell
    2. V. Williams
    3. James
    4. Mitchell

Wait till James takes the field with Bell, Brown, Bryant and Eli. Dude is going to be left wide open regularly!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I think the worst starter is Mitchell. He just isn't good and I really don't know why some people say he is good. He is out of position a lot, he attempts to tackle exclusively with his shoulder pad, and he always gets exposed without a monster front 7 in front of him. How can I forget that flea flicker that Mitchell bit hard on the AFC Championship game? He isn't good, particularly as a starting free safety. A lot of people are saying James, and he is near the top of my list

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    Wait till James takes the field with Bell, Brown, Bryant and Eli. Dude is going to be left wide open regularly!
    My thoughts as well.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

No

James will be covered by a slow linebacker of the other team and James will be unable to produce despite that.

Mitchell is one of the best single high safeties in the NFL(good fielding free safeties are rare.), he is asked to do a lot and does it well. I need some breakdowns on why he is a bad player, like legit proof. Don't bring up one play(or even one game), consistent proof that he isn't a good player. The coaching staff believe he is good safety, and even the beat writer round the team felt like he was snubbed from the pro bowl last year.

He was a flat out stud mid-season and beyond last year.

Mitchell is always saving the defense with plays like this.

BurghBoy412

My only gripe with Mitchell is the constant attempts to lay the big hit. Sometimes I wish he'd just make the tackle instead of waste so much energy trying to lay people out. I also wish he would play the ball a little more instead of looking for the devastating hit. All in all Mitchell is still a very good player and far from a liability.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    No

James will be covered by a slow linebacker of the other team and James will be unable to produce despite that.
    I believe this Offense is only going to have one problem this season. Not enough touches to go around.

My only gripe with Mitchell is the constant attempts to lay the big hit. Sometimes I wish he'd just make the tackle instead of waste so much energy trying to lay people out. I also wish he would play the ball a little more instead of looking for the devastating hit. All in all Mitchell is still a very good player and far from a liability.
    This, I'm not saying Mitchell doesn't have his flaws, but considering him as a weak link, or not a good player is wrong. Such an underrated player that it's a shame.

Can't wait to see how he'll play where he doesn't have to constantly worry about the mistakes the players around him make. No more old Will Allen, or Golden at the other safety spot, no more Antwon Blake at corner.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    This, I'm not saying Mitchell doesn't have his flaws, but considering him as a weak link, or not a good player is wrong. Such an underrated player that it's a shame.

Can't wait to see how he'll play where he doesn't have to constantly worry about the mistakes the players around him make. No more old Will Allen, or Golden at the other safety spot, no more Antwon Blake at corner.
    I hope Mitchell will be healthy and ready for the regular season.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Worst starters of the steelers in 2017?

Easily Cockring. His Antwan Blake approach to the position is becoming terrifying.

In a pretend world, I'd take James and Ike Taylor over Heath Miller and Cockring any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Easily Cockring. His Antwan Blake approach to the position is becoming terrifying.
    Agreed but what is the alternative since the Steelers decided to rely on draft picks that cannot get on the practice field to possibly replace him after getting burned by trading for DBs off the scrap heap rather than make a serious play in free agency?

Looking grim - if Shazier cannot stay healthy the pass defense is going to revert to 2014-15 levels of awfulness

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

a month ago Jesse James was my answer and said he isnt that bed so a nice problem to have ....

I have since changed my mind .

unequivocally it is Ross Cockrell based on what we have seen this preseason and it is not even that close

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Since we're talking so much about James in here, I'd like to thank whoever pointed out his lopsided ear. Now I can't NOT look at it. Lol

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

BurghBoy412

CB Kyle Fuller might be available soon! 2014 1st Rd pick. https://www.google.com/amp/chicago.s...ith-bears/amp/

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

If Fuller got cut the Steelers should run to get that waiver request in...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

BurghBoy412

No doubt. I think he'd be a huge upgrade. I read the Eagles have been showing a lot of interest in him.

Or, the Steelers once again trade a 5th, or 6th round pick a corner(Fuller)

Likely not enough time to learn the defense. Fuller has been hurt almost as much as Golson.