Thread: Steelers Actively Trying To Sign Tuitt To Extension

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers Actively Trying To Sign Tuitt To Extension

According to Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Steelers team president Art Rooney II said Thursday that the organization is currently attempting to get Tuitt signed to an extension before start of season.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08...act-extension/

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Steelers Actively Trying To Sign Tuitt To Extension

Get it done.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

"With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Yes.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

rumors already floating around he wants Heyward money .... no link its just rumors and nobody of " note" substantiating

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    rumors already floating around he wants Heyward money .... no link its just rumors and nobody of " note" substantiating
    I saw that too. Honestly, I don't think that's totally unreasonable.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Honestly, that sounds about right.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Honestly, that sounds about right.
    Heyward is the " leader" not sure it is ever a good idea to pay his line mate equal money .

I love Tuitt don't get me wrong hell I mocked him to the Steelers in the second round the year we drafted him in the contest here ( Had Tuitt , Martavis and Big Dan in my mock that year )

But I have to ask myself this .... with Heyward out was he able to step up and take over or was his play the same or stagnated slightly and I failed to see that step up you look for ...

so for me Heyward is still " The Guy " and Tuitt is his very good side kick ..

so money can not be equal or surpass that of Heywards IMO

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Heyward is the " leader" not sure it is ever a good idea to pay his line mate equal money .

I love Tuitt don't get me wrong hell I mocked him to the Steelers in the second round the year we drafted him in the contest here ( Had Tuitt , Martavis and Big Dan in my mock that year )

But I have to ask myself this .... with Heyward out was he able to step up and take over or was his play the same or stagnated slightly and I failed to see that step up you look for ...

so for me Heyward is still " The Guy " and Tuitt is his very good side kick ..

so money can not be equal or surpass that of Heywards IMO
    Excellent point(s).

Allow me to play the role of Tuitt's agent.

First, there is inflation. Heyward's contract was in 2015 ($10 million/season), and two years later, that contract would be about $10.5 million/season. So, even if Tuitt is merely "Robin" (to Heyward's Batman) $10 million/season is indeed the correct amount.

Secondly, as a second round pick who has played like a first round pick, it could be argued that Tuitt has been slightly underpaid for the past four seasons. In order to recoup that "missed" money, we feel that $10 million/season is reasonable & fair.

BTW: Over at Steelers Fever, we did a member poll mock draft, and the overwhelming majority of us voted that Tuitt wound be the second round pick that year (like 97 out of 100 votes). Since it was a "foregone conclusion" that Tuitt would be a Steeler, I feared that the Ravens would steal him away. Thankfulky, Ozzie did not draft him. Whew!!!

Excellent point(s).

Allow me to play the role of Tuitt's agent.

First, there is inflation. Heyward's contract was in 2015 ($10 million/season), and two years later, that contract would be about $10.5 million/season. So, even if Tuitt is merely "Robin" (to Heyward's Batman) $10 million/season is indeed the correct amount.

Secondly, as a second round pick who has played like a first round pick, it could be argued that Tuitt has been slightly underpaid for the past four seasons. In order to recoup that "missed" money, we feel that $10 million/season is reasonable & fair.

BTW: Over at Steelers Fever, we did a member poll mock draft, and the overwhelming majority of us voted that Tuitt wound be the second round pick that year (like 97 out of 100 votes). Since it was a "foregone conclusion" that Tuitt would be a Steeler, I feared that the Ravens would steal him away. Thankfulky, Ozzie did not draft him. Whew!!!
    touche now for my inner Colbert response ...

We appreciate Stephon's contributions over the past few years but as a team we do not set the rookie pay scale that is done by the league .

We can not get into a paying a bonus for past performance as the league already has a system in place for that when players performance out weights his pay scale if Stephon did not get any bonus from that system perhaps his play did not exceed said performance vs pay disparities .

We also can not pay a guy more who does not accomplish more than our highest paid man on the same line that would be setting us up for future contractual issues with our #1 lineman

We do not get into a habit of paying extra based on perceived value in terms of potential , we pay based on what we believe the market dictates and as a 3-4 end those numbers are not as high as 4-3 end numbers

we will offer what we believe to be a fair offer and are willing to get him some money a year sooner than he would otherwise be able to get it and that has to be worth something in the grand scheme of things as if he gets hurt this year his value likely diminishes in a contract year and at the same time we are saving him and his family the element of the unknown in terms of where he may end up , we know he likes it here and we are offering him the chance to stay here again we see value in that ..

we are prepared to offer him a 5 year extension worth $40 million dollars and 10 million of that up front in the form of a signing bonus , that is a whole lot of reasons to sign it and have peace of mind over the next 6 seasons..

think about it but don't take to long , once we kick off on Week 1 we do not make any deals until the off season

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Sign X_________________________________________________
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

We appreciate Stephon's contributions over the past few years but as a team we do not set the rookie pay scale that is done by the league .

We can not get into a paying a bonus for past performance as the league already has a system in place for that when players performance out weights his pay scale if Stephon did not get any bonus from that system perhaps his play did not exceed said performance vs pay disparities .

We also can not pay a guy more who does not accomplish more than our highest paid man on the same line that would be setting us up for future contractual issues with our #1 lineman

We do not get into a habit of paying extra based on perceived value in terms of potential , we pay based on what we believe the market dictates and as a 3-4 end those numbers are not as high as 4-3 end numbers

we will offer what we believe to be a fair offer and are willing to get him some money a year sooner than he would otherwise be able to get it and that has to be worth something in the grand scheme of things as if he gets hurt this year his value likely diminishes in a contract year and at the same time we are saving him and his family the element of the unknown in terms of where he may end up , we know he likes it here and we are offering him the chance to stay here again we see value in that ..

we are prepared to offer him a 5 year extension worth $40 million dollars and 10 million of that up front in the form of a signing bonus , that is a whole lot of reasons to sign it and have peace of mind over the next 6 seasons..

think about it but don't take to long , once we kick off on Week 1 we do not make any deals until the off season
    Would you mind coming to my next annual review? What is your fee?

Excellent rejoinder.

Now... agent time!!!

Mr. Colbert, you of all people should know how asinine the past collective bargaining agreement was, considering your employer was the ONLY owner to vote against it.

Regardless, the agreement is indeed in place; so, we shall concede that point.

The franchise tag goes up 20% per season. Using a modest amount of interest, let's say a mere 5%, we would have seen Heyward's contract go from $10 million/season in 2015, to $10.5 million/season in 2016, and $11 million/season in 2017.

Ergo, as you can see, we are not asking for Batman's salary ($11 million/season); we are indeed asking for Robin's salary ($10 million/season). And, truth be told, we are about to see the emergence of Nightwing (i.e. it will be money well spent).

BurghBoy412

Excellent rejoinder.

Now... agent time!!!

Mr. Colbert, you of all people should know how asinine the past collective bargaining agreement was, considering your employer was the ONLY owner to vote against it.

Regardless, the agreement is indeed in place; so, we shall concede that point.

The franchise tag goes up 20% per season. Using a modest amount of interest, let's say a mere 5%, we would have seen Heyward's contract go from $10 million/season in 2015, to $10.5 million/season in 2016, and $11 million/season in 2017.

Ergo, as you can see, we are not asking for Batman's salary ($11 million/season); we are indeed asking for Robin's salary ($10 million/season). And, truth be told, we are about to see the emergence of Nightwing (i.e. it will be money well spent).
    I won't insult you with a bunch of drivel as I know you have a job to do just like the rest of us .

But I will say at the end of the day we like to deal in real numbers with real players and since Heyward is not a franchised player we do not believe we should negotiate with Mr Tuitt and act as if he is or even consider the what ifs of something we all know is not a fact .

if you in fact want to use base pay of Heyward as a negotiating tool or strategy we will play along and use his base pay as a basis for Stephon , but considering the base Pay of Heyward is a meager 5 million per year in 2017 it may not be wise for your camp to float that particular boat ...

we stand firm in our offer of 5 years 40 million with 10 million of it in the form of a signing bonus

again you are free to turn it down but know in doing so you are walking away from a solid offer a full year earlier than he will be able to cash in .

signing this deal puts him where he wants to be with a chance to win Lombardis , gives his family a lifetime of stability in a solid player friendly environment where he will be treated like part of the family ...

he could end up in Detroit or Cleveland chasing the money where his chances of winning are nil and he has to wait another year to cash in .
    time is never on the side of the player where average career expectancy is less than 4 years he is 1 injury away from never cashing in and that injury God forbid could be before he gets a payday if he waits

that ball is in your court , are you going to look at it or play ball ?
    speaking of time , its ticking 3 weeks and deal is off the table as week 1 will be here and we do not negotiate during the season

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

The Steelers will never chase a player, but at least you know you get a fair shake and an opportunity to win. Plus, if you show any talent you will be a hero in the city. Look for a fair offer with high guarantees and that's where you want to play. That is available on only a few teams. One drawback is the winters absolutely suck in Pittsburgh.
    All Defense!

I won't insult you with a bunch of drivel as I know you have a job to do just like the rest of us .

But I will say at the end of the day we like to deal in real numbers with real players and since Heyward is not a franchised player we do not believe we should negotiate with Mr Tuitt and act as if he is or even consider the what ifs of something we all know is not a fact .

if you in fact want to use base pay of Heyward as a negotiating tool or strategy we will play along and use his base pay as a basis for Stephon , but considering the base Pay of Heyward is a meager 5 million per year in 2017 it may not be wise for your camp to float that particular boat ...

we stand firm in our offer of 5 years 40 million with 10 million of it in the form of a signing bonus

again you are free to turn it down but know in doing so you are walking away from a solid offer a full year earlier than he will be able to cash in .

signing this deal puts him where he wants to be with a chance to win Lombardis , gives his family a lifetime of stability in a solid player friendly environment where he will be treated like part of the family ...

he could end up in Detroit or Cleveland chasing the money where his chances of winning are nil and he has to wait another year to cash in .
    time is never on the side of the player where average career expectancy is less than 4 years he is 1 injury away from never cashing in and that injury God forbid could be before he gets a payday if he waits

that ball is in your court , are you going to look at it or play ball ?
    speaking of time , its ticking 3 weeks and deal is off the table as week 1 will be here and we do not negotiate during the season
    Mr. Colbert... Detroit? Cleveland??? At no point has my client ever considered leaving the Steelers. I will not mention that you said this about my client... because, he holds you & Mr. Rooney in the highest regard.

Back to the numbers...

My comment about the franchise tag going up by 20% was merely used to point out the fact that NFL salaries go up every year; I wasn't trying to insinuate that Heyward was franchise tagged. My bad if that came across wrong. Regardless, I used the figure of 5%... which was actually a little low: the cap this past season went up 7%. That alone would proportionally increase Cameron Heyward's $10 million/season contract up to $10.7 million/season...

...and, again, we are asking for only $10 million (not $10.7 million nor $11 million). If we were asking for "proportional" Heyward money, we'd be asking for $10.7 - $11 million/season... which we are not. We only want $10 million/season.

As far as Heyward only making $5 million this year, his average is still $10 million. We will gladly take a similar contract where Stephon makes $5 million this year and $15 million in his final season... because, we both know we will renegotiate and extend his contract after year four anyway.

One last thing to ponder, here are both players' stats for their first three seasons:

Heyward sacks: 1, 1.5, 5 (7.5 total)
    Tuitt sacks: 1, 6.5, 4 (11.5 total)

Heyward tackles: 11, 20, 59 (90 total)
    Tuitt tackles: 17, 54, 38 (109 total)

Yes, Heyward is undoubtedly the leader and captain of the defense, something that goes beyond mere numbers... but... Tuitt does indeed have the numbers to back up his position.

We wish Stephon the best in the 2017 season as the better he plays the better we will play as a team however ,

we again feel that we have a competitive offer on the table , an offer we are at this point in time not obligated to extend as he is under contract for 2017 .

if he wants a nice fat check prior to 2018 and wants to know his future is here for the next 6 seasons at least he knows where to find us , offer voids Sept 9 at midnight

and we can take another look at this after the season provided he remains healthy and productive .

Kevin Colbert

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Take the $10M or whatever is reasonable for a high-quality defensive lineman.

Subtract the difference between that and what he is supposed to make this year on his rookie contract, which we are generously tearing up for him.

Bingo, $8M a year or so, $40M/5 years.

If he wanted to get paid like a first-round pick, he should've gotten drafted in the first round. Then he'd have two more years to go before he could taste any big money, at no risk to us.

Whoops, guess being a second-round pick worked out pretty good after all.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Take the $10M or whatever is reasonable for a high-quality defensive lineman.

Subtract the difference between that and what he is supposed to make this year on his rookie contract, which we are generously tearing up for him.
    Deal.

$10 million/season x 5 seasons = $50 million

Subtract his salary from this season: $1.2 million

$48.8 million divided by 5 years = $9.75 million/season

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I believe Tuitt is a stud. With Heyward solid on the other side, Hargrave starting to wreak havoc, a healthy Dupree, and TJ Watt as a versatile pass rusher and player to also allow Harrison to stay fresh and effective.....Tuitt is going to put up impressive numbers.

I believe signing him now is the smart thing to do because his future cost is going to go up considerably.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Deal.

$10 million/season x 5 seasons = $50 million

Subtract his salary from this season: $1.2 million

$48.8 million divided by 5 years = $9.75 million/season
    Subtract the DIFFERENCE between his salary and $10M, not the salary itself which is almost nothing (and the reason why we're doing him a favor by giving him a real contract).

$50M minus $8.8M is $41.2 million over 5 years. Seems about right.
    See you Space Cowboy ...