Thread: Rating our Cornerbacks and Safeties?

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Rating our Cornerbacks and Safeties?

While I think an improvement in our front seven will benefit our secondary this year,

I do believe our secondary will need to improve for us to have a strong chance of winning the Lombardi.

Where do you think our secondary rates now and where do you hope they will be heading into playoffs?*

Middle Third? Bottom third?

Cornerbacks (6) –

Artie Burns
    Ross Cockrell
    Coty Sensabaugh
    Cameron Sutton
    William Gay
    Mike Hilton

Safeties (4) –

Mike Mitchell
    Sean Davis
    Robert Golden
    Jordan Dangerfield

*-assuming we make it.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: Rating our Cornerbacks and Safeties?

great question but it might be difficult to find that line in the sand of how much the secondary itself improved and the secondary improved because of the front 7 ..

I believe both units will be better in 2017 but exactly what the cause is to create the effect is where it gets a little fuzzy and will be difficult to say until we see some live games that matter ..

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Judging by the way we have addressed our front seven compared to our back 4, I think we are counting our front seven to elevate the back four. I honestly think we need another year getting our defensive backfield where we want it. We have all the pieces in place for our front seven, minus another stud ILB. However, I am one of the few who think Vince is going to be better than everyone expected so maybe we're good there too.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

The CB position is the spot to watch, if Burns does indeed take the next step, and becomes a #1 WR, that group could become very good. Worried about the slot corner but with Hilton/Sutton it could be in solid hands. Cockrell as a #2 will help also.

Mitchell, and Sean Davis could be one of the top safety duos in the league this season if Davis, like Burns, takes another step. Davis played very well late last season, should build off that.

But for them to truly live up to potential, they'll need help from the pass rush.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I rate our secondary in the bottom 3rd. The best secondary players, Artie and Sean at this point are the best in the secondary based purely on promise they showed as their rookie years progressed. Cockrell is average at best, Mitchell is below average and isn't worth half of wh at he is paid, the slot corner features William gay who is approaching his last legs an d unknown commodities who haven't played a down, some of whom are injured. Also the safety depth is almost non-existent.

I am hoping they are at least a top half (which would have to involve artie and Sean taking the next step in year 2) probably a top third unit entering the playoffs and throughout. The secondary needs to hold up if the team is to have a shot at a super bowl. They can't get picked apart at will anbd expect the offense to bail them out

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Personally, I have great expectations about Davis and Burns this year.

If Sutton or others do the job as slot corner, our secondary will not be a weakness.

We are far from the secondary that the steelers had between 2013 to 2015.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I think the corners are terrible. It will be this teams downfall this season...unless an unknown like Hilton elevates his game to #1 or #2 status.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Average...Maybe...Terrible...NO

Our corners are much better than those of the 2013 to 2015, especially if Burns take the next step.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I'll have to go with incomplete. Outside of Gay and Mitchell, we are still grading on potential.

If Davis, Burns, and one of the new guys (Golson, Hilton, Sutton) can all progress, then by Week 16 they could be really good. Alternatively, they could spend all season getting torched.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I'll have to go with incomplete. Outside of Gay and Mitchell, we are still grading on potential.

If Davis, Burns, and one of the new guys (Golson, Hilton, Sutton) can all progress, then by Week 16 they could be really good. Alternatively, they could spend all season getting torched.
    This is the best answer.

But for now, they look much better in practice this year than last year.....Let's hope it's going to be the same in the games.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Average...Maybe...Terrible...NO

Our corners are much better than those of the 2013 to 2015, especially if Burns take the next step.
    I think Burns is the only corner on here worth anything and like the way Hilton played Friday. As for the rest, I don't see it. Better than Blake but not by so much...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I think Burns is the only corner on here worth anything and like the way Hilton played Friday. As for the rest, I don't see it. Better than Blake but not by so much...

I don't think that Cockrell is terrible.Average yes,but he is not terrible.Remember the week 2 last year against A.J Green.

BurghBoy412

Cockrell is a liability period. Watch enough game tape and you'll see. The guy cannot be left on single coverage outside. They always, always have to leave help up top for him. That means you are always devoting Cockrell plus a Safety to one player. Way to easy for the QB to find the open / uncovered man.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    Judging by the way we have addressed our front seven compared to our back 4,

I think we are counting our front seven to elevate the back four.

I honestly think we need another year getting our defensive backfield where we want it.

We have all the pieces in place for our front seven, minus another stud ILB.

However, I am one of the few who think Vince is going to be better than everyone expected so maybe we're good there too.
    While I am hopeful this D gels by the playoffs, I agree it may be another year.

One hope I have is that Ben sees the potential this team has for the next few years and decides to hang in there a few more seasons and hopefully pick up another lomabardi....or two.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

If Burns become a very good CB this year, the steelers could put the second best WR of the other team one on one against Burns and the steelers will be able to double the best WR of the other team.

If Burns takes the next step this year, it will have a big impact in this secondary and the entire defense.

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    While I am hopeful this D gels by the playoffs, I agree it may be another year.

One hope I have is that Ben sees the potential this team has for the next few years and decides to hang in there a few more seasons and hopefully pick up another lomabardi....or two.

This defense has gels in the second half of last year.

It's time to take the next step.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Steelers should look into Saints CB Delvin Breaux, he's a starting caliber corner that has dealt with some injury issues. The Steelers had interest in him until he signed with the Saints in 2015.

Shouldn't be expensive with him being a FA(and as I wrote, has dealt with some injury issues) after the season. I'd try to offer them one of our WR's(Hunter/Ayers) to see if they bite, if not, a 2019 7th round pick could do it.
    Last edited by BlackAndGold; 08-14-2017 at 01:09 PM.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

I would be willing to trade a WR to pick up another CB. Some of our #3s & #4s could be legitimate #2s on another team.
    All Defense!

BurghBoy412

It would be nice to see what Sutton can do. They had him on the outside in OTA's . I'm almost certain he can take Cockrell's job.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

The bigger problem in the secondary is safety. The only positive I see right now from this group is the potential of Sean Davis. As a whole defensive back is the biggest weakness on the team, and if Davis or burns get injured or regress, this team could be in trouble

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    The bigger problem in the secondary is safety. The only positive I see right now from this group is the potential of Sean Davis. As a whole defensive back is the biggest weakness on the team, and if Davis or burns get injured or regress, this team could be in trouble
    You could make an argument that most teams in the league would be in trouble if their starting safety and #1 corner went down. I agree that we need to improve our depth there, but it won't be the end of the world if someone suffers a slump or minor injury.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I love Burns and Davis. And, Sutton (IMO) is gonna be a steal.

That's 3/5 of the starting secondary that I like... which is better than the past half decade.

(3/5 assuming Sutton is the slot corner.)

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Healthy: middle third
    Injured: bottom third

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Vernon Golson
    Burns
    Hilton.

- - - Updated - - -

sorry senquez * golson ... i was being sarcastic and ruined my own joke lol.