Thread: Preseason Opener Indicates Big Change In Steelers’ Defense

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Preseason Opener Indicates Big Change In Steelers’ Defense

We are just going through the Pittsburgh Steelers’ preseason opening win over the New York Giants. As we’ve done for years now, we chart the Steelers’ offense and defense. I do the latter charting and found something very interesting from Friday’s game.

Here’s the short of it: On 32 of 53 snaps versus 11 personnel (3 WR sets) the Steelers remained in their base 3-4 defense. That’s something the defense hasn’t done to that degree under Keith Butler.

In 2015, the Steelers’ regular season defense remained in base versus “passing personnel” (mostly 11 personnel) just 2.6% of the time. There was a small bump last year to 6.4%. And in Game One against the Giants, that number showed a crazy spike up to 60.4%.

That wasn’t just after the starters left. In fact, the opposite. The stats skewed a bit at the end with the Giants in their hurry-up offense and the Steelers stayed in nickel. When the game was early/close, and the starters in, base was the dominant package.

But last year’s minor uptick did seem to indicate a change. And Friday, Butler may have knocked that door down against the Giants. I don’t expect the Steelers to actually play base that often all the time but it’s an idea that makes sense. For three reasons

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08...medium=twitter

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Re: Preseason Opener Indicates Big Change In Steelers’ Defense

I think them staying in their base with 3 WR sets is due to having LBs that can cover this year opposed to last. Watt is already way better in dropping than Harrison or Jones from last year. Could result in a lot more sacks this year if we can stay in our base against 11 personnel. Really excited to see all of our backers on the field at once. That's a lot speed and athleticism. Can't wait!

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Jarvis Jones is addition by subtraction.

People denote T.J Watt's performance Sunday as just "gimme" and "dong" sacks. I wish Jarvis would get "gimme" sacks like that even on his best day.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    People denote T.J Watt's performance Sunday as just "gimme" and "dong" sacks. I wish Jarvis would get "gimme" sacks like that even on his best day.
    If you are referring to that other thread, I hope that you know that we're joking (making fun of a certain website).

The Giants' LT (Flowers) tried to use Watt's overaggressiveness against him, by leading Watt upfield. Watt smartly kept his eyes on the QB, and broke inside for a sack. That is not a dong sack*.

*(unless you habitually refer to James Farrior as "Taunto: the winged God of linebacking)

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    If you are referring to that other thread, I hope that you know that we're joking (making fun of a certain website).
    Just remembered that "Dan Rooney" clown from SF who thought Still Mill (the inventor of the "Dong sack") was a "great writer."

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Just remembered that "Dan Rooney" clown from SF who thought Still Mill (the inventor of the "Dong sack") was a "great writer."
    I'm convinced that it was indeed Mill, trolling us in order to bump up his clicks over at his site.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

As good as Artie Burns & Sean Davis are, Javon Hargrave might be the best player from the '16 draft.

As good as Artie Burns & Sean Davis are, Javon Hargrave might be the best player from the '16 draft.

This is for this reason that steelers could be in defense base formation more often this year.

He needs to be on the field as often as possible.

An 3-3-5 would be also an good idea against the 3 wide formation.

This is for this reason that steelers could be in defense base formation more often this year.

He needs to be on the field as often as possible.

An 3-3-5 would be also an good idea against the 3 wide formation.
    Goid point.

Or... play Hargrave some at DE (in a 2-4-5)

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

The Giants' LT (Flowers) tried to use Watt's overaggressiveness against him, by leading Watt upfield. Watt smartly kept his eyes on the QB, and broke inside for a sack. That is not a dong sack*.

*(unless you habitually refer to James Farrior as "Taunto: the winged God of linebacking)
    Hahahahahahaha!

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Keeping that d-line group off the field will be hard to do.

No way they'll treat Hargrave like a regular ol NT that sees the field about 20% of the time, guy is going to be a flat out monster.

- - - Updated - - -

That's kinda scary. (depending on how high you, or someone thinks of the other two.)
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

I know you guys were joking around. Stillers.com is a joke. That's where the term "dong sack" came from.

I was also joked in the gamethread for the dong sacks

It's true that his 2 sacks were not very impressive, but Watt put one pressure at every 7 snap, which is really excellent.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Preseason Opener Indicates Big Change In Steelers’ Defense

It was the first preseason game with a lot of young players. Not sure I would go to that degree that the Steelers are going base defense that often until we see it a couple more times and in Week One of Real Games...

As for Watts sacks, both were very impressive. The first one he was able to get off his block to make the sack, the second he didn't fall into the tap of rushing up field and being taken advantage of. He read the play and made the tackle. Anyone who says they were gimmes isn't really watching the whole game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Wasn't that supposed to be Vernon Butler and Jackson III? I seem to remember that I was intended to be distraught and angry when the Ateelers weren't able to get those guys.

All seriousness, Hargrave is gonna be a monster.