Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raiders RB Marshawn Lynch remains seated during national anthem

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Raiders RB Marshawn Lynch remains seated during national anthem

Marshawn Lynch appeared to stage a silent protest in his return to the NFL, as the Oakland Raiders running back remained seated during the national anthem prior to the team's 20-10 loss to the Arizona Cardinals.

Photos show Lynch, who suited up but did not play, sitting on a cooler while holding a banana during the anthem..........

read more @ http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ational-anthem

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: Raiders RB Marshawn Lynch remains seated during national anthem

"[Lynch] said, 'This is something I've done for 11 years. It's not a form of anything other than me being myself...'"
    That's right. Junkgrabber has pretty much always been a horse's ass...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

The League could stop this nonsense , Teams could stop this nonsense but instead they allow it to continue and create more social divide ...

NFL Stadiums are a work place , when you walk into a stadium you have walked into " your office " at such time you are a representative of your employer .

It is not a time or the place for anyone to grandstand , picket , or anything else ... its a place of business

either the league or the teams need to make a clear statement walk into the stadium and conduct business in said fashion or go outside the stadium and picket the choice is yours but only those who show up to conduct business will be paid ...

for me the flag has everything to do with those who fight or have fought to keep her standing and nothing to do with race relations , police brutality or anything the like ...

show respect for those who have had the courage to defend that flag stand up its not that hard !!

do your social change movement things on your time not on the leagues time or the teams time or my time ...

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

ML defines 'piece of shit'
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

He's got nothing to lose, unlike Kap.

- - - Updated - - -

The NBA made it illegal not to stand for the anthem. Time for the NFL to do the same. They can protest on their own time/dime.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    He's got nothing to lose, unlike Kap.

- - - Updated - - -

The NBA made it illegal not to stand for the anthem. Time for the NFL to do the same. They can protest on their own time/dime.
    QFT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Give him a tour in Afghanistan, the shit bag.

BostonBlackie

Angry runners are an odd lot.

Hophead Array title="SCSTILLER has a spectacular aura about"> SCSTILLER's Avatar

Question, what would any fans do if one of the Steelers players sat or kneeled for the National Anthem? I know I would be done with pro football all together, my man/Steelers cave would be stripped and all stuff given away. They have a right to protest, I have a right to not watch and spend my money else where. Only exception would be is if the Steelers organization chastised said player and condemned his actions and he stood from that point forward, I might in that instance keep watching and keep the Steelers cave.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go!" -- John Muir

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SCSTILLER View Post
    Question, what would any fans do if one of the Steelers players sat or kneeled for the National Anthem? I know I would be done with pro football all together, my man/Steelers cave would be stripped and all stuff given away. They have a right to protest, I have a right to not watch and spend my money else where. Only exception would be is if the Steelers organization chastised said player and condemned his actions and he stood from that point forward, I might in that instance keep watching and keep the Steelers cave.
    At least 99% of the fans would keep watching.

Do not recall any drop off in viewing habits or attendance when Ernie Holmes wounded a police officer while shooting at a police helicopter in the 70s and did not miss a down, the starting QB was accused of multiple sexual assaults, this happened to the 2008 defensive player of the year

Domestic violence charges were dropped Thursday against Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison, who was arrested in early March after hitting his girlfriend.Allegheny County prosecutors announced the decision as a judge was preparing to open a preliminary hearing for Harrison on charges of simple assault and criminal mischief.

"He has entered domestic abuse counseling. The victim did not request any further restitution and the victim did not wish to pursue further prosecution," said Mike Manko, a spokesman for the district attorney.

Harrison told police he and Beth Tibbott were arguing on March 8, and then he broke through her bedroom door, slapped her in the face and snapped her cell phone in half.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=3327255

and this happened to the receiver who caught the winning TD pass in SB XLIII

On June 19, 2006, in Franklin County, OH, Santonio Holmes was arrested and charged with domestic violence and assault stemming from an alleged incident with the mother of one of his children. In a police report, LaShae Boone said that Holmes, "chok[ed her], [threw] her to the ground, grabb[ed] her arms, and slamm[ed] her into a door, leaving her with bruises, pain, and a torn shirt." Holmes pleaded not guilty to the charges. Boone would not testify in court.

The charges were later dismissed by a Franklin County Municipal Court judge after Holmes' two lawyers said that their client would participate in ongoing counseling offered through the NFL. In an interview with press after the hearing, Holmes said, "It doesn't mean anger management classes. It just means I needed someone else to talk with about all the situations and to get an understanding of what was going on."

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/9ae7p3/santonio-holmes-wide-receiver-accused-of-domestic-violence-and-assault

<em>

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I do not think you have to worry about players on the Steelers . not with AV on the roster , it would be like walking up to him and smacking him in the face ... not sure how well that ends for whomever would have the guts to do that

BostonBlackie

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    At least 99% of the fans would keep watching.

Do not recall any drop off in viewing habits or attendance when Ernie Holmes wounded a police officer while shooting at a police helicopter in the 70s and did not miss a down, ......................
    Yeah, not too many people even new about that incident. Imagine if that happened today?

Have never seen this happen at an NHL game. They even stand for Canada's national anthem. Half of them aren't even American or Canadian and they still stand and show respect.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Have never seen this happen at an NHL game. They even stand for Canada's national anthem. Half of them aren't even American or Canadian and they still stand and show respect.

#Truth

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

I am blessed and thankful that I don't watch the news, read newspapers, engage in social media, or have any friends like this ignorant and ungrateful shitstick.

P.S. OK, maybe someone who does not read the paper or watch the news should not call someone else, ignorant.

Still...
    Last edited by GBMelBlount; 08-14-2017 at 09:17 PM.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

I don't think these people even understand what they are protesting... What a bunch of maroons.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

You would never see that happen at a hockey game. There's a sense of gamesminship among hockey players that you'll never see in football.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

After getting into the Pens Cup run this spring, hockey players and fans are the best

Check this out when the PA system failed when the Star Spangled Banner was to be sung in Edmonton this past spring

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    I do not think you have to worry about players on the Steelers . not with AV on the roster , it would be like walking up to him and smacking him in the face ... not sure how well that ends for whomever would have the guts to do that
    Agreed, I honestly don't think Tomlin would let that happen. I somehow sense that Tomlin has made know his thoughts to the players on this subject. I don't think it will be an issue in Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Agreed, I honestly don't think Tomlin would let that happen. I somehow sense that Tomlin has made know his thoughts to the players on this subject. I don't think it will be an issue in Pittsburgh.
    Maybe - I am avoiding political discussions and am not pushing my agenda here but as crazy as 2016 was 2017 has been crazier - lots of folks of all political views are on the edge

another BIG reason to NOT sit during the anthem if you are a steelers player

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

I never did care for Lynch or Bennett from the sea hags!

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

As a life long Raiders fan, I'd like to him released before he ever plays. I knew he would be an ass..... I just knew it.

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    another BIG reason to NOT sit during the anthem if you are a steelers player

Turns out this quote attributed to Harrison was fake

Harrison’s true thoughts on a player sitting for the anthem are rather simple.

“That’s up to the individual,” Harrison told The MMQB on Thursday. “If they feel like that’s something they want to do, that’s their right.”

He never tweeted “if you are on my team and not standing for Anthem better be because a broken leg or I’m gonna give you one. #EyesonuCK” last year. What you saw was a Photoshopped tweet. A poorly Photoshopped tweet. And he did not tell an author who shares a name with the title character of an Adam Sandler film, working for a generically named sports outlet, that “anyone on my team sits for the anthem, they better be in a wheelchair.”

The fake news didn’t irk Harrison, necessarily, but it puts the focus on a greater issue we’re facing.

“I mean, I guess it speaks to the gullibility of people,” Harrison says. “Just because you read something on social media doesn’t make it true. If you were to do that and believe everything that you hear or see, written or there, the world would be in a real bad place. And we’re already in a tough place now.” ...

As for the participation trophy comments? “Now that was real,” Harrison says. “Oh yeah.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08/18/ja...jeremy-roenick

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

That fake tweet was put out last year and Deebo debunked it last year.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    That fake tweet was put out last year and Deebo debunked it last year.
    Since it showed up again this week with an August 13, 2017, twitter date tied to it, the quote got some more circulation and Steelers PR decided to aggressively snuff the rumor once again

On Aug. 13, “Happy Gilmore” posted the fake story. It apparently made its way to Facebook, and by the following morning, former NHL star Jeremy Roenick had tweeted a screengrab of the post with the following message: “Now this is a man I want on my team! Too bad we have to sit around and watch disrespectful athletes sit on coolers!! Disgraceful!”

Roenick’s tweet still stands days later with more than 3,300 retweets, despite numerous replies informing him the news was fake.

Burt Lauten, the Steelers’ PR honcho, got word of the story around lunchtime that day. He called Harrison to make sure he hadn’t said it—Harrison confirmed he had not, and Lauten promptly put out a tweet at 1:51 p.m. stating the alleged comments “are false & should not be used as a reference.” Lauten’s tweet, which is almost identical to the one he had to put out around this time last year, has 229 retweets at the time of publication.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08/18/james-harrison-fake-news-anthem-protests-happy-gilmore-jeremy-roenick

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Its not even the sitting that is so stupid.

It's the fact that this is all phony grandstanding. These "protesters" don't even believe half of the shit they're being told.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Its not even the sitting that is so stupid.

It's the fact that this is all phony grandstanding. These "protesters" don't even believe half of the shit they're being told.
    Cannot imagine where the players learned about phony grandstanding

This story from 2015

The NFL reportedly accepted millions of dollars from the Defense Department over the course of three years in exchange for honoring troops and veterans before games, the New Jersey Star Ledger reports.

The Pentagon reportedly signed contracts with 14 NFL teams — including the New York Jets, the Indianapolis Colts and the Baltimore Ravens — between 2011-2012 stipulating that teams would be paid sums ranging from $60,000-$1 million each (in federal taxpayer money) to pause before the start of games and salute the city's "hometown heroes," according to nj.com.

Agreements also include advertising on stadium screens and sideline 'Coaches Club' seats for soldiers.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-p...t-games-2015-5

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Are these the same athletes claiming belief that the world is really flat? Pro athletes just keep getting weirder. Protest an unjust world by sitting? Better NEVER stand up then.