Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raiders RB Marshawn Lynch remains seated during national anthem

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Raiders RB Marshawn Lynch remains seated during national anthem

The thing that annoys me most is that TE morons aren't even protesting the right thing. You protest the National Anthem and The Flag...so you protest the two things that stand for equality, liberty, justice and freedom? You should actually be trying to support that more than ever. You should be standing at the forefront...maybe protest by standing in front of everyone else, take a step forward.

Wonder if they would sit during MLKs speech. Would only make sense...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

BostonBlackie

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Cannot imagine where the players learned about phony grandstanding

This story from 2015

The NFL reportedly accepted millions of dollars from the Defense Department over the course of three years in exchange for honoring troops and veterans before games, the New Jersey Star Ledger reports.

The Pentagon reportedly signed contracts with 14 NFL teams — including the New York Jets, the Indianapolis Colts and the Baltimore Ravens — between 2011-2012 stipulating that teams would be paid sums ranging from $60,000-$1 million each (in federal taxpayer money) to pause before the start of games and salute the city's "hometown heroes," according to nj.com.

Agreements also include advertising on stadium screens and sideline 'Coaches Club' seats for soldiers.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-p...t-games-2015-5

There's nothing wrong with the Department of Defense wanting to reach potential volunteers through the NFL. I would suggest though that the effort should be concentrated here in the New England area in order to increase the IQ of the average soldier, sailor, or marine.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBlackie View Post
    There's nothing wrong with the Department of Defense wanting to reach potential volunteers through the NFL. I would suggest though that the effort should be concentrated here in the New England area in order to increase the IQ of the average soldier, sailor, or marine.
    Doubtful many volunteers signed up because they found out there are U.S. armed forces by watching NFL game time ceremonies

Even the NFL, which is a pretty shameless operation, thought this money grab was too much even by its low standards once it was publicized

The NFL is returning more than $700,000 of taxpayers' money that was paid to teams for sponsored military tributes.

After being criticized for "paid patriotism," in which money came out of the armed forces budget for various measures of public recognition during games, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said that the league would pay that money back.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...itary-tributes

If the NFL wants to wrap itself in the flag do it for free but then do not wonder why some players decide they too can use the flag as a prop for their own purposes

BostonBlackie

Doubtful many volunteers signed up because they found out there are U.S. armed forces by watching NFL game time ceremonies

Even the NFL, which is a pretty shameless operation, thought this money grab was too much even by its low standards once it was publicized

The NFL is returning more than $700,000 of taxpayers' money that was paid to teams for sponsored military tributes.

After being criticized for "paid patriotism," in which money came out of the armed forces budget for various measures of public recognition during games, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said that the league would pay that money back.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...itary-tributes

If the NFL wants to wrap itself in the flag do it for free but then do not wonder why some players decide they too can use the flag as a prop for their own purposes

I don't see why the Department of Defense wouldn't take advantage of a sporting event that salutes "manliness", is already beginning with the national anthem, etc., etc.? Sounds like a match made in heaven. Further, if they want to use the NFL's stage to advertise, why shouldn't the NFL charge them? The pentagon has an advertising budget.

Your comment about finding out about our military by watching an NFL game falls flat. It's that the military is being honored at a national sporting event on the level of the NFL, obviously.

Another staged event. Should we be cynical about the loss of life this represents also?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

There's nothing wrong with the Department of Defense wanting to reach potential volunteers through the NFL.

Your comment about finding out about our military by watching an NFL game falls flat. It's that the military is being honored at a national sporting event on the level of the NFL, obviously.
    You made the argument that the expenditures can be justified as a recruiting expense. Do you actually believe someone is going to sign up because of some pregame ceremony?

Another staged event. Should we be cynical about the loss of life this represents also?

I was unaware the military paid the photographer to take that photo of a battlefield victory and newspapers to publish it or that commemorating Iwo Jima is the same as whooping it up pregame before a professional sports event

And nice try to twist my post into an attack on the DoD. My point was the NFL has tied itself up with patriotism to advance its own interests rather than selflessly support the armed forces for decades and had the chutzpah to take $$$ for it rather than do it for free - giving the $$$ back once it was publicized is a further indication of how cynical that enterprise was

But everything with the NFL is a marketing opportunity

http://www.nflshop.com/Salute_To_Service

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

I would suggest though that the effort should be concentrated here in the New England area in order to increase the IQ of the average soldier, sailor, or marine.

Browns gotta be Browns

A group of Cleveland Browns players chose to kneel and huddle during the national anthem before Monday's preseason game against the New York Giants....

The players' stance comes after Browns coach Hue Jackson was criticized last week for saying he hoped player protests "wouldn't happen here."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...hem/588485001/

The main story here is that a group of players effectively flipped off their head coach

BostonBlackie

You made the argument that the expenditures can be justified as a recruiting expense. Do you actually believe someone is going to sign up because of some pregame ceremony?

I was unaware the military paid the photographer to take that photo of a battlefield victory and newspapers to publish it or that commemorating Iwo Jima is the same as whooping it up pregame before a professional sports event

And nice try to twist my post into an attack on the DoD. My point was the NFL has tied itself up with patriotism to advance its own interests rather than selflessly support the armed forces for decades and had the chutzpah to take $$$ for it rather than do it for free - giving the $$$ back once it was publicized is a further indication of how cynical that enterprise was

But everything with the NFL is a marketing opportunity

http://www.nflshop.com/Salute_To_Service
    That Iwo Jima photograph was staged just like the "patriotic" display of the American Flag, in conjunction with the pentagon, at the beginning of some NFL games. And the NFL is no more or less a marketing exercise than the DoD, or any other large organization. In fact if anybody is being cynical it's the Department of Defense. That act at the beginning of games can cost a young man who joins up his legs, his eyesight, his reproductive equipment, not to mention his soul.

You have to use your head in this world, little is what it's portrayed to be, including Kaepernick who is putting on an act just like everyone else who's involved.

BostonBlackie

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

10 Of Forbes’ Top 20 American Colleges Are In New England

July 5, 2016 1:34 PM
    Filed Under: colleges, Education, FORBES, Higher Education
    Harvard University (WBZ-TV)

BOSTON (CBS) – Half of the top 20 colleges in the country are located right in New England, according to the latest Forbes ranking.

That Iwo Jima photograph was staged just like the "patriotic" display of the American Flag, in conjunction with the pentagon, at the beginning of some NFL games.
    Not as clear cut as you might believe

The image was so good that critics accused [photographer Joe ] Rosenthal of staging it -- a myth he fought for more than 60 years. The rumor started for a good reason. Rosenthal actually did stage a photo on the summit. But the photo he posed was a different picture that was taken after the famous flag-raising. In the staged photo, Marines posed in front of the flag, victoriously holding their helmets and rifles in the air.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/22/world/...ima/index.html

You have to use your head in this world, little is what it's portrayed to be, including Kaepernick who is putting on an act just like everyone else who's involved.
    I think you more or less just agreed with my initial point below (aside from you being fine with the money grab, which even the NFL found embarrassing once it was revealed)

So we are in agreement that the NFL is a cynical organization that will use all available marketing tools, including manipulation of patriotic images, to sell football games and cannot be surprised when players start to use the same tools for their own purposes since the NFL has been doing it long before the kneeling by Kaepernick and others started

Glad we cleared that up

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

BOSTON (CBS) – Half of the top 20 colleges in the country are located right in New England, according to the latest Forbes ranking.

So what you are saying is most of Boston attends out of state schools. Did not know that. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

BostonBlackie

Not as clear cut as you might believe

The image was so good that critics accused [photographer Joe ] Rosenthal of staging it -- a myth he fought for more than 60 years. The rumor started for a good reason. Rosenthal actually did stage a photo on the summit. But the photo he posed was a different picture that was taken after the famous flag-raising. In the staged photo, Marines posed in front of the flag, victoriously holding their helmets and rifles in the air.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/22/world/...ima/index.html

I think you more or less just agreed with my initial point below (aside from you being fine with the money grab, which even the NFL found embarrassing once it was revealed)

So we are in agreement that the NFL is a cynical organization that will use all available marketing tools, including manipulation of patriotic images, to sell football games and cannot be surprised when players start to use the same tools for their own purposes since the NFL has been doing it long before the kneeling by Kaepernick and others started

Glad we cleared that up

They thought the first flag wasn't big enough, so the picture you see was of Marines who were ordered to put up a bigger flag. Clearly not some spontaneous flag raising like what had happened originally. Further, the picture was used to sell war bonds. Just like the scene at the beginning of NFL games is designed to attract volunteers by the military. And no, the NFL isn't manipulating patriotic images, the DoD is, and is paying the NFL to do so on their stage, in front of their audience, on TV time bought by the NFL. So yes, the DOD owes the NFL. Even further, Kaepernick is using the NFLs, and the DODs, bought and paid for stage to push his own agenda. His bill has come due.

I'm happy I could help you get a better understanding of the issue.

BostonBlackie

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    So what you are saying is most of Boston attends out of state schools. Did not know that. Thanks.
    Original quote, "I would suggest though that the effort should be concentrated here in the New England area in order to increase the IQ of the average soldier, sailor, or marine." Nothing about Boston. Of course if you want to talk about Boston and environs we can start with Harvard, and MIT.

Thanks - always glad to learn from someone sharing their unsubstantiated opinions with no supporting cites to other sources of information

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

With all that education you would think that they would have better oral linguistics. Fenway Pahk? Pahk yer cah? Perhaps they are teaching the art of the BJ and the side effects are how they speak.

BostonBlackie

Early Lead
    ‘We have work to do’: 12 Browns — including one white player — take a knee during anthem

I would suggest that these players take out an ad in a newspaper, or tweet their concerns, rather than suck off the NFLs tit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/08/22/we-have-work-to-do-12-browns-including-one-white-player-take-a-knee-during-anthem/?utm_term=.ba9989fef0ce

Original quote, "I would suggest though that the effort should be concentrated here in the New England area in order to increase the IQ of the average soldier, sailor, or marine." Nothing about Boston. Of course if you want to talk about Boston and environs we can start with Harvard, and MIT.
    Which one did you attend?

BostonBlackie

Thanks - always glad to learn from someone sharing their unsubstantiated opinions with no supporting cites to other sources of information
    There's no documentation available for commonsense. You either have it, or you don't.

- - - Updated - - -

Which one did you attend?
    I went to an international school, the University of Vietnam, then used the GI Bill to attend Northeastern.

I went to an international school, the University of Vietnam, then used the GI Bill to attend Northeastern.
    Oh - so when you contend the superior intelligence of those in New England is established by the number of New England schools listed in a Forbes article that excludes you since you did not attend one of those schools

Thanks for the common sense clarification

BostonBlackie

Oh - so when you contend the superior intelligence of those in New England is established by the number of New England schools listed in a Forbes article that excludes you since you did not attend one of those schools

Thanks for the common sense clarification
    Weak. What I'd expect from a Steeler poster from Atlanta.

Weak. What I'd expect from a Steeler poster from Atlanta.
    It is your definition of how to measure superior intelligence, not mine

Pro tip - do not establish a debating point if the facts regarding it undermine your position

BostonBlackie

It is your definition of how to measure superior intelligence, not mine

Pro tip - do not establish a debating point if the facts regarding it undermine your position
    You make a lot of stuff up, and then believe it. Not particularly flattering.

You make a lot of stuff up, and then believe it. Not particularly flattering.
    What did I "make up"?

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

They thought the first flag wasn't big enough, so the picture you see was of Marines who were ordered to put up a bigger flag. Clearly not some spontaneous flag raising like what had happened originally. Further, the picture was used to sell war bonds. Just like the scene at the beginning of NFL games is designed to attract volunteers by the military. And no, the NFL isn't manipulating patriotic images, the DoD is, and is paying the NFL to do so on their stage, in front of their audience, on TV time bought by the NFL. So yes, the DOD owes the NFL. Even further, Kaepernick is using the NFLs, and the DODs, bought and paid for stage to push his own agenda. His bill has come due.

I saw the film of Rosenthal's photo. Yes, they changed flags, but it was done on the fly. Now during the war they reenacted the scene during war bond drives.
    All Defense!

BostonBlackie

What did I "make up"?
    "Pro tip"

That you're a pro debater. You're not, yet you have talked yourself into believing you are. In other words you're a blowhard.

"Pro tip"

That you're a pro debater. You're not, yet you have talked yourself into believing you are. In other words you're a blowhard.
    Consider learning the terminology before you lob an accusation even though it appears that is not how you roll

PROTIP
    (sometimes spelled Pro Tip) is an Internet slang term commonly used in online communities and social networking platforms to preface a piece of advice or suggestion that may either be genuinely helpful or self-explanatory in nature.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/protip

Anything else?

BostonBlackie

Former federal prosecutor
    Former federal blowhard.

Former federal blowhard.
    That all you got? Still waiting to hear what I made up

BostonBlackie

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    With all that education you would think that they would have better oral linguistics. Fenway Pahk? Pahk yer cah? Perhaps they are teaching the art of the BJ and the side effects are how they speak.