Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Joshua Dobbs Shows Why Landry Jones Is Still The Backup

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Joshua Dobbs Shows Why Landry Jones Is Still The Backup

In a year in which there were some—perhaps many—who worried that the quality of talent at the quarterback position during the draft was dubious at best, we certainly saw a number of encouraging performances from some of the top names that came off the board, including Mitchell Trubisky, Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, and DeShone Kizer.

Two rookie quarterbacks squared off last night between the Giants and the Pittsburgh Steelers, with the former trotting out third-round pick Davis Webb at the end of the game with the third-string personnel, and the latter giving fourth-round Joshua Dobbs the opportunity to start the game—though there was really no other viable alternative, given their circumstances.

Veteran backup quarterback Landry Jones has been dealing with an abdominal injury for the bulk of the past week, and Ben Roethlisberger is obviously far too valuable to see much of any playing time in the opening game of a preseason schedule, so that left just Dobbs and undrafted rookie camp arm Bart Houston to command the offense against the Giants.

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08...-still-backup/

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: Joshua Dobbs Shows Why Landry Jones Is Still The Backup

Dobbs made some bad throws granted, but he also made some very good ones, scrambling and throwing to his right & left (because Hawkins shit himself) and balls were dropped. He also threaded the needle under pressure to Grimble for a TD that was called back. One preseason game for Dobbs and this guy Marczi is tooting Jones horn?

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Dobbs showed more in one preseason game than Landry Jones showed in four years, after being basically forced into the fire.

Oh, and the Steelers actually won a preseason game.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Dobbs played like a rookie.

BB and Dak were anomalies. Case in point: Tom Brady didn't even suit up his rookie season.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Dobbs showed more in one preseason game than Landry Jones showed in four years, after being basically forced into the fire.

Oh, and the Steelers actually won a preseason game.
    not sure i 100% agree with this but its close enough

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Dobbs Beginning: 1 of 5 4 yards 2 INTS.

Dobbs After: 7 of 10 95 yards 1 TD, and he had another TD pass that was taken away from him, along with a few drops, and made quite a few plays with both his arms and legs. He did not buckle or break down at all after that horrible start.

I was more impressed by his "second" TD pass. It was vintage Ben Roethlisberger. Flushed out of the pocket due to pressure because of crap pass blocking (Hawkins), and delivered a strike.

I think Dobbs will be fine. I'd rather have a QB who inspires than a QB who plays it safe and does nothing like Jones.

Remember that Landry Jones, in his 4th season had 4 interceptions in one half against the Eagles last year!

Also, the Dobbs struggles at the beginning of the game was against one of the best defense of the NFL.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Dobbs in less than 3 quarters showed about as much as Landry did in 4 years. The Steelers also scored 20 points last night by. I think the only time the Steelers scored 20 in a preseason game the last 4 years was any game in which Ben led a first quarter td

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Dobbs After: 7 of 10 95 yards 1 TD, and he had another TD pass that was taken away from him, along with a few drops, and made quite a few plays with both his arms and legs. He did not buckle or break down at all after that horrible start.

I was more impressed by his "second" TD pass. It was vintage Ben Roethlisberger. Flushed out of the pocket due to pressure because of crap pass blocking (Hawkins), and delivered a strike.

I think Dobbs will be fine. I'd rather have a QB who inspires than a QB who plays it safe and does nothing like Jones.

Agreed! Hawkins got Dobbs sacked at least three times.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

So far, so good for Dobbs. After a rocky start, which was to be expected, in my opinion, I was quite pleased in what I saw from him.

This.
    What impressed me even more was a ten yard pass he made. He rolled out to his left under pressure, but kept his eyes downfield and the ball up in a passing position with both hands on the ball for protection, then squared his shoulders before throwing the ball where he only could catch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    This.
    What impressed me even more was a ten yard pass he made. He rolled out to his left under pressure, but kept his eyes downfield and the ball up in a passing position with both hands on the ball for protection, then squared his shoulders before throwing the ball where he only could catch it.
    That is what really caught my eye as well, he is always looking down field and is really smooth in stepping up in the pocket, plus he has the advantage of having happy feet if all else fails. He throws the ball well rolling out to the left or right and has a strong arm.

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Dobbs rebounded pretty damn well after calming down. If it wasn't for shitty O-line play and drops by the WR's, his stats would look so much better.

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

Dobbs has a LONG way to go...he looked like shit against a lot of first stringers (collins)...but looked good against 3rd stringers. That is actually to be expected for a qb that is gonna be a third stringer himself

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

This is also why tomlin didnt give a lot of props to guys that played really well against 2nd and 3rd stringers

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMayhem72 View Post
    Dobbs has a LONG way to go...he looked like shit against a lot of first stringers (collins)...but looked good against 3rd stringers. That is actually to be expected for a qb that is gonna be a third stringer himself

Dobbs does have a long way to go.

Starting QB's will struggle against the Giants starting defense, that d-line unit is no joke. They take away the run, which takes away the playaction, two things you want to have success in while starting a rookie QB(which the Steelers didn't that basically backed Dobbs into a corner).
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Even Prescott had not been very good against the Giants last year, despite having all his weapons.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...1609110dal.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...1612110nyg.htm

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Dobbs does have a long way to go.

Starting QB's will struggle against the Giants starting defense, that d-line unit is no joke. They take away the run, which takes away the playaction, two things you want to have success in while starting a rookie QB(which the Steelers didn't that basically backed Dobbs into a corner).
    I'm looking forward to seeing some progress next game.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing some progress next game.
    Wonder if they'll hold Ben out again? Last year he only played in the 3rd preseason game against the Saints.

LJ may return, but I'm hoping Dobbs gets another start.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Wonder if they'll hold Ben out again? Last year he only played in the 3rd preseason game against the Saints.

LJ may return, but I'm hoping Dobbs gets another start.

If it would be me the HC, I would play Roethlisberger against the Falcons instead of the colts, since we are not playing against the Falcons this year and we have a game against the colts ....

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    If it would be me the HC, I would play Roethlisberger against the Falcons instead of the colts, since we are not playing against the Falcons this year and we have a game against the colts ....
    That is true, and would be interesting how MT plays that out.

But we have owned the Colts in the past few years, probably wouldn't matter lol.

That is true, and would be interesting how MT plays that out.

But we have owned the Colts in the past few years, probably wouldn't matter lol.

Good point!

I think most of us are savvy enough to believe the "eye test". Though Dobbs made some mistakes, they seemed to be "mostly" rookie nerves and inexperience. However...the athleticism and the potential is most certainly there.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

It's hard to understand how anyone would be too hard on Dobbs after his first NFL preseason start. There is nothing that Dobbs did on the field that showed me "Why Landry Jones Is Still the Backup". Landry Jones still rolls out steaming turds on a regular basis and he's been in the NFL for 4 years. Let's give Dobbs a break and give him a chance to grow.

He was obviously a little nervous early, and he failed to make a few easy reads. The interception was the best example of that.

After his early struggles, he really settled down and made some plays. He made some good reads, made some good downfield throws, and showed his athleticism. It was his ability to shrug off a tough start that impressed me the most. So many others would have continued to throw gasoline on that fire, but Dobbs figured it out and overcame some nerves the rest of the way.

That's extremely impressive. Especially when you consider how badly the offensive line played in front of him.

I have no idea what he does from here, but that's about as good a start as you can hope for from a young quarterback in his first NFL action. He showed me a little something.

Onward and upward young man.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Dobbs made some bad throws granted, but he also made some very good ones, scrambling and throwing to his right & left (because Hawkins shit himself) and balls were dropped. He also threaded the needle under pressure to Grimble for a TD that was called back. One preseason game for Dobbs and this guy Marczi is tooting Jones horn?
    does anyone have video.of the grimble TD that was called back... i was driving listening to the radio . was curious how the play looked.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    does anyone have video.of the grimble TD that was called back... i was driving listening to the radio . was curious how the play looked.
    8:00 of this video.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Josh-D...ebut-106050586

The TD to Grimble should have stand. That holding call was very "meh"

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

thanks guys

The TD to Grimble should have stand. That holding call was very "meh"
    They should have called the throat holds NY had on TJ but they didn't.