Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joshua Dobbs Shows Why Landry Jones Is Still The Backup

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: Joshua Dobbs Shows Why Landry Jones Is Still The Backup

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    8:00 of this video.

PB is a Ninja!!! Beat me by a minute posting it.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Asked if No. 3 QB Josh Dobbs can move up depth chart, Mike Tomlin says, 'the door's never been closed.'

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=2...778914450370-4

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Asked if No. 3 QB Josh Dobbs can move up depth chart, Mike Tomlin says, 'the door's never been closed.'

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=2...778914450370-4
    When you have Landry Jones as your #2, any opportunity is there to move up.

It's basicially Dobbs' shot to lose.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    When you have Landry Jones as your #2, any opportunity is there to move up.

It's basicially Dobbs' shot to lose.

You mean this guy doesn't inspire confidence that he is the solid #2 quarterback and the future starter in Pittsburgh?

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    You mean this guy doesn't inspire confidence that he is the solid #2 quarterback and the future starter in Pittsburgh?

"Relax. I got this."

I do not remember seeing a QB still being in the NFL for so long because of just one half of Football

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Comparing Dobbs to Landry isn't a plus in my opinion. Landry after all the year's under his belt is a 'good' QB at best. Nothing to base a team on in my opinion. Dobbs needs a lot of work. I sure hope Ben stays around Steeler town for many year's yet, I sure don't feel comfortable with anything I'm seeing from the bench.

I do not remember seeing a QB still being in the NFL for so long because of just one half of Football

I think Landry did well because no one expected him to do well. He was uninspired garbage at that point.

The Steelers had absolutely no business winning that game, but Ol' Brucey made it possible.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Comparing Dobbs to Landry isn't a plus in my opinion. Landry after all the year's under his belt is a 'good' QB at best. Nothing to base a team on in my opinion. Dobbs needs a lot of work. I sure hope Ben stays around Steeler town for many year's yet, I sure don't feel comfortable with anything I'm seeing from the bench.
    I understand what you're saying, but that's the only apples to apples comparison you can make.

Senior Member Array title="Buckinnuts is on a distinguished road"> Buckinnuts's Avatar

not sure on this but my opinion..i would rather see Dobbs as number 2 than landry the kid did some good stuff last night..held in when pressured and new when to run..th last 2 plays were really good ..albiet that they were against some 3-4th stringers but still looked better than jones

KNOCKIN ON 7'S DOOR!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Landry at the 1 down by 4 after the Steelers got to the one by running Watson and a pass interference: Throws an interception

Dobbs at the 1 down by 4 after the Steelers got to the 1 by Dobbs passing: Scores the game winning TD

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Isnt Dobbs supposed to be the next Dak Prescott because he is a 4th round pick from the SEC??

Dobbs was the 5th best QB at the Senior Bowl this year, so I am not having any delusions that he will ever be the Steelers starting QB, but rather the future #2. The Steelers next starting QB will likely come from this seasons NFL draft with their 1st round pick.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I'm not getting my hopes up for Josh to be the heir apparent.

I do think he could eventually beat out Laundry for the #2. Unless he gets Batchwich Glass Sam Jackson Unbreakable syndrome.

Four Preseason Games, Dobbs is definitely a work in progress. The next Dak? Not really, but then again, very few will be.

Dobbs definitely has ability to succeed, but he is definitely a rookie. His accuracy is spotty and seems to be getting accustomed to the speed and nuances of NFL Defenses.

The best attribute of Dobbs is that he has a gamer mentality. He doesn't break down when things go hard. He doesn't make the same mistake twice, either. I think this is HUGE for him going forward.

Dobbs was the 5th best QB at the Senior Bowl this year, so I am not having any delusions that he will ever be the Steelers starting QB, but rather the future #2. The Steelers next starting QB will likely come from this seasons NFL draft with their 1st round pick.
    Two problems with that:

1) The Steelers will have to tank or trade up to get a chance at drafting a QB in the first round.

2) They don't know who is coming out in 2018 that is even worth a first rounder. For all we know, 2018 may nothing but crap.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Two problems with that:

1) The Steelers will have to tank or trade up to get a chance at drafting a QB in the first round.

2) They don't know who is coming out in 2018 that is even worth a first rounder. For all we know, 2018 may nothing but crap.
    There may be as many as 6 QB's drafted in the 1st round next year according to several sites and mocks. Use the Google and you will see there is a lot of potential QB talent this upcoming year.

Yes, some may choose to stay, but if as many as 6QB's get 1st round grades by NFL advisory sources, then why stay in school. There will be a QB at #32 that is better than Josh Dobbs or Landry Jones in the 2018 draft.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Hey El nice to see you!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Ben is not going to be replaced. The next QB and probably the one after him, will get compared to Ben and they won't look good in comparison. Ben is lightning in a bottle. If everyone knew how good he would be, he wouldn't have dropped to us. This is not to say a different QB can't lead this team. I think we all know by now that's not Jones. Dobbs is in the 'remains to be seen' category. But I think we already know he's not looking like the next franchise. YET. Safer to assume we still need to draft our next franchise QB. Fortunately, there seems to be a great crop entering the draft next year. Fingers crossed.

The steelers will need to make a trade up (give a first round in the year after),be very bad one year or be lucky to find a QB franchise like the cowboys last year, if Dark is the real deal.It's not easy, but it's possible.

If the steelers had drafted Dan Marino in 1983, the steelers would have had 3 HOF QB in the last 45 years for most of the time.

If they have the chance to take one, they must not missed their chance, otherwise it may take another 20 years to find one

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    There may be as many as 6 QB's drafted in the 1st round next year according to several sites and mocks. Use the Google and you will see there is a lot of potential QB talent this upcoming year.

Yes, some may choose to stay, but if as many as 6QB's get 1st round grades by NFL advisory sources, then why stay in school. There will be a QB at #32 that is better than Josh Dobbs or Landry Jones in the 2018 draft.
    So you can enter the draft the following year and be among the one or two decent QBs, and therefore get panic-picked at #1 or #2 by some desperate team instead of at #23. There will still probably be a QB far better than Jones or Dobbs this year; the bar is not high.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Ben is not going to be replaced. The next QB and probably the one after him, will get compared to Ben and they won't look good in comparison.
    This is probably true. We'll most likely get a guy we're excited about for a couple years and then he turns out to be like ... Jeff Garcia or something. My biggest worry is we get someone like Tony Romo or Andy Dalton who isn't good enough to win anything, but just good enough, for just long enough, to lock us into a shitty contract.

If they have the chance to take one, they must not missed their chance, otherwise it may take another 20 years to find one
    It won't take 20 years. It took that long the first time because we didn't make it a priority. I don't think we'll make that mistake again.

For example, without moving in the draft at all, between Marino and Ben we could've had our choice of Boomer Esiason, Randall Cunningham, Brett Favre, Drew Brees, plus a bunch of second-tier guys who would probably be "good enough" to win a championship with a strong team around them (think Jake Plummer, Chad Pennington, and so on). Instead we took no one in the first round for 25 years and Kordell Stewart in the second. That was it for QBs. Today even the densest head coach and front office understands that's not going to cut it. You are absolutely right, though, that you have to take a chance if you have one, because you are going to get zero franchise QBs without trying. If there's someone who might be a future starter there when we pick, we're idiots if we don't take him.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    So you can enter the draft the following year and be among the one or two decent QBs, and therefore get panic-picked at #1 or #2 by some desperate team instead of at #23. There will still probably be a QB far better than Jones or Dobbs this year; the bar is not high.
    Are you saying the Steelers cant find a franchise QB at pick #32 in 2018??

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Maybe. I'm saying if you were one of the six QBs and not being touted as "the" top one or two, you might stay in school. So maybe there end up being four or five top QBs available. In that case, with the way teams snap up QBs, it's conceivable all the top prospects will be gone by the middle to mid-late R1. Not guaranteed, just conceivable. Figure a minimum of three will go in the top 10 no matter what, then it all depends who's looking.

It will still definitely be easier to get your hands on one of the prospects than in most years - even if we had to trade up, maybe we'd have to move up to something like #20 instead of #7. But I think it is a mistake if you believe that a glut of talented players at a position means you'll have first-round talent available in rounds 2 and 3, second-round talent available in rounds 3 and 4, and so on. Six top-15 worthy QBs in a class means you'll have a run on QBs early, that's all. By the end of the first round everything's back to normal, or maybe there's one guy hanging around who wouldn't be normally. Same as with the glut of CBs or pass rushers that happens every few years.

Franchise QBs aside, I think there will be someone better than Jones or Dobbs available at the end of R1, but that's pretty much every year in every round.

edit: I don't meant this to sound overly pessimistic. As I said in the second part, this may be a year when we would only have to trade into the middle of the round to get a top QB, not the very top of the round. If we get that shot, we should take it, no question. I would just be somewhat surprised if that guy is there for a team standing pat at #32.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Remember when Tomlin really wanted Dak Prescott in R4, but the management threw Munchak a bone by drafting Jerald Hawkins instead.

Good times.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Remember when Tomlin really wanted Dak Prescott in R4, but the management threw Munchak a bone by drafting Jerald Hawkins instead.

Good times.
    I'd throw Munchak a bone too......if he asked for it. It wasn't that long ago when every thread here, turned into a "our O-Line sucks" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Good times.
    Different Situation. The Cowboys were dealing with a brittle, overrated QB in Romo whose age and injuries were piling up on him. Prescott was supposed to be a project but exceeded all of his expectations.

If the Steelers drafted Dak, Ben would still be the man. He'd be sitting on the bench, much like Dobbs is.

And if Dak was such a slam-dunk QB prospect, why did he go in the fourth round and not the first after Carson Wentz, who turned into a pumpkin in 2016 and Jared Goff who is on his way to being hot garbage? We as Steeler fans should attest to the fact that sometimes the best players don't get drafted where they should be. Our WR core doesn't have a single first-rounder. James Harrison wasn't even drafted. Hell, Ben was supposedly the third-best QB in the 2004 draft class.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Different Situation. The Cowboys were dealing with a brittle, overrated QB in Romo whose age and injuries were piling up on him. Prescott was supposed to be a project but exceeded all of his expectations.

If the Steelers drafted Dak, Ben would still be the man. He'd be sitting on the bench, much like Dobbs is.

And if Dak was such a slam-dunk QB prospect, why did he go in the fourth round and not the first after Carson Wentz, who turned into a pumpkin in 2016 and Jared Goff who is on his way to being hot garbage? We as Steeler fans should attest to the fact that sometimes the best players don't get drafted where they should be. Our WR core doesn't have a single first-rounder. James Harrison wasn't even drafted. Hell, Ben was supposedly the third-best QB in the 2004 draft class.
    Its different with QBs. Dak got dropped for a DUI and some nonsense about "spread offense QB".

Anyone who watched the kid play and didn't freak out about gimmick offenses and one off the field thing would've realized the kid could play.

Plus, we aren't talking about the 1st round. We're talking about the 4th.

I know I agree with Teegre and was yelling at my computer screen for them to draft Prescott.

It would be very hard, since 15 teams may need a young QB next year.

Bills
    Jets
    Dolphins(maybe)
    Steelers
    Browns
    Broncos(maybe)
    Chargers
    Jaguars
    Giants
    Redskins
    Saints
    Rams(if Goff is terrible again)
    49ers
    Cardinals
    Vikings

True that it is going to be less than that, since good QB will be free agent next year, like Cousins, Brees, Bradford or on the trade market like Alex Smith or Garapolo but even to that, several teams will need a QB so much that the steelers will have to give a first round pick of the 2019 draft to have the QB that the steelers want.

Its different with QBs. Dak got dropped for a DUI and some nonsense about "spread offense QB".
    Nobody runs "spread offenses" in the NFL.

Anyone who watched the kid play and didn't freak out about gimmick offenses and one off the field thing would've realized the kid could play.
    One "off the field" thing. After the mess the Steelers have already gone through with Bell, and Bryant's (who by the way, was just suspended for a year at the time due to his stupidity) off-season antics the past few years, you can't blame the Steelers for trying to stay away. A DUI reeks of irresponsibility and bad choices. It may or may not be Dak's fault, but when so much is on the line, your choices will be heavily scrutinized.