Re: Report: Steelers showing interest in trade for Rams CB Trumaine Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    5 weeks of good play is really a measure of consistency
    Better that Jordan Matthews.

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Better that Jordan Matthews.
    Did you even bother to look and compare their career stats before you posted?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Matthews had more than 100 targets each year.

Coates had almost the same number of yards that Antonio Brown after 5 weeks last year but his season was ruined because of an injury.

He had made an big play (40 yards or more)in each of his first 5 games.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I have not watched hours of film on Trumaine Johnson. However, what I can do is click all the links that are posted here and the dozens that come up when you Google about any NFL player.

The consistent opinion of those that have watched hours of film on Johnson is that he is a "bend but don't break corner", "inconsistent from game to game", not worth top $, struggles a bit in man coverage, gives up some big plays, etc etc etc.

Johnson is a good CB - in fact he is a darn good one. He is not so much better than the current starters that he would be worth multiple draft picks/players and the chance to wreck the entire salary structure of the roster.

But again, that is just my opinion. It does not have to be shared by everyone - nor does it mean I have to trash anyone else.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412;597504Not really. [B
    Why would the Bills trade for a guy with a bum hand who cannot catch the ball[/B]. Sounds pretty realistic.
    I'm looking for anyway possible to trade or get a draft pick for Coates.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    the Jets are still in dire need for wrs

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    I would trade Coates only if it's against a TE, CB or position of need

Otherwise the steelers would have no more than a fifth round draft pick for Coates

- - - Updated - - -

The steelers need a deep threat in their offense, if Bryant is injured or suspended, at least the steelers would have Coates if he is still with the steelers.

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I have not watched hours of film on Trumaine Johnson. However, what I can do is click all the links that are posted here and the dozens that come up when you Google about any NFL player.

The consistent opinion of those that have watched hours of film on Johnson is that he is a "bend but don't break corner", "inconsistent from game to game", not worth top $, struggles a bit in man coverage, gives up some big plays, etc etc etc.

Johnson is a good CB - in fact he is a darn good one. He is not so much better than the current starters that he would be worth multiple draft picks/players and the chance to wreck the entire salary structure of the roster.

But again, that is just my opinion. It does not have to be shared by everyone - nor does it mean I have to trash anyone else.
    Sounds like he'd just be a more expensive Cockrell. Not worth the hassle

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    If we could package Cockrell and Coates. I'd be jumping for joy!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Being reckless in order to avoid being conservative is not wise.
    Game.
    Set.
    Match.

/thread

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

IMO the Bills won the series of trades they made here is why

Additions

WR Jordan Mathews -consistent 800-900 yards a season and perhaps more importantly he is active on Sundays
    CB E.J.Gaines- solid but under rated cover corner who excels in man coverage

Subtractions
    Sammy Watkins - all world ability but off the field as often as on it , top 10 money so fairly expensive vs everyone else in this discussion ( less productive on average than Mathews )
    Ronald Dardy -good corner no question but Gaines has as much ability IMO

each player the Bills received makes less money than those they gave away that is a Plus for the Bills
    they got what I believe time will prove to be a push at CB and perhaps slight advantage at WR because Watkins has not proved to be reliable due to injury

here is the real kicker ... Bills also get a 2nd and 3rd round pick in the 2018 draft while giving up just a 6th ..

so in summery they do not lose much if anything in terms of talent , they are paying out less $ and they gained a couple of nice picks in next years draft ...I fail to see how that is not a great deal for them

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    If we could package Cockrell and Coates. I'd be jumping for joy!
    you still need to come up with 17 million dollars

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Problem is the rest of their roster is absolute hot garbage. Currently they are starting Shamarko at SS.

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/NYJ

Other than Wilkerson, who would you even want back in a trade?

- - - Updated - - -

IMO the Bills won the series of trades they made here is why

Additions

WR Jordan Mathews -consistent 800-900 yards a season and perhaps more importantly he is active on Sundays
    CB E.J.Gaines- solid but under rated cover corner who excels in man coverage

Subtractions
    Sammy Watkins - all world ability but off the field as often as on it , top 10 money so fairly expensive vs everyone else in this discussion ( less productive on average than Mathews )
    Ronald Dardy -good corner no question but Gaines has as much ability IMO

each player the Bills received makes less money than those they gave away that is a Plus for the Bills
    they got what I believe time will prove to be a push at CB and perhaps slight advantage at WR because Watkins has not proved to be reliable due to injury

here is the real kicker ... Bills also get a 2nd and 3rd round pick in the 2018 draft while giving up just a 6th ..

so in summery they do not lose much if anything in terms of talent , they are paying out less $ and they gained a couple of nice picks in next years draft ...I fail to see how that is not a great deal for them
    Bills won both of those trades on paper. Even if Watkins returns to health and dominates (which he won't because even if he is healthy - Jared Goff still exists) - that's not much lost by the Bills because they are never going to throw the ball a ton anyways.

I'm not sure I want to be ready for the Bills to start making good decisions again. Amazing what happens when you get rid of the Ryan brothers.

Problem is the rest of their roster is absolute hot garbage. Currently they are starting Shamarko at SS.

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/NYJ

With the first overall pick in the 2018 NFL draft,the New York Jets select __________

Seriously, the Jets can be this year the worst team since the 2008 Detroit Lions and we've seen some awful teams in that time like the 2009 Rams or last year Browns.

If Shamarko is an starter, this is the bottom of the barrel.Remember the preseason game against the Bills in 2015!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Bills also get a 2nd and 3rd round pick in the 2018 draft while giving up just a 6th ..

so in summery they do not lose much if anything in terms of talent , they are paying out less $ and they gained a couple of nice picks in next years draft
    Yep. The Bills now have the second-most trade capital for next year's draft (where everyone will be trying to get in the top five).

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Seriously, the Jets can be this year the worst team since the 2008 Detroit Lions and we've seen some awful teams in that time like the 2009 Rams or last year Browns.

If Shamarko is an starter, this is the bottom of the barrel.Remember the preseason game against the Bills in 2015!
    I'd actually love to see what Shamarko does as a 16-game starter. We might be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I'd actually love to see what Shamarko does as a 16-game starter. We might be surprised.
    Will Allen is an HOF if we compare to Shamarko.

Junior Member Array title="griz5700 is an unknown quantity at this point">

For this Montana alum and die hard Steelers fan - this would be a dream come Tru. Used to play Intramural softball with Trumaine. Good dude and a hell of a talent. GoGriz

draft picks ! as they will almost certainly be selecting top 3 ( probably 1st over all )

so any pick you get from them will be like a late pick from the prior round ....

a 5th would be like a late 4 ...
    a 4 a late 3 etc ...

send them ( let them pick 3 ) Severin , Ayers , DHB , Hamilton , Coates .... for a 3rd round pick most of those wont make our roster anyways and no guarantees any of them do ..( Coates aside )

sure they can wait till cut downs and get some guys but that don't give them time to acclimate them to the system and playbook ... there is value in trading them now ( or should be anyways )

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Johnson is a 27 year old CB whose current team questions whether or not he fits man coverage focused 3-4 schemes.

I really hope we get him.

I can't wait to give up a series of draft picks and players for a CB whose play consistently ranges between William Gay's worst day and Cockerell's best day.

Then the team would get to pay him top $$.

If we don't want boring transaction hypothetical threads - then lets make something realistic.

The real missed opportunity here was to trade a WR for Darby (CB from the Bills). Coates may have been enough to get it done. JOrdan Matthews has not really shown anything in the NFL as of yet.
    Jordan Matthews has shown plenty. He stinks. He quite possibly may be one of the more overrated receivers in the game. Steelers definitely could've sent a package with Coates in it for Darby. No doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I would trade Coates only if it's against a TE, CB or position of need

Otherwise the steelers would have no more than a fifth round draft pick for Coates

- - - Updated - - -

The steelers need a deep threat in their offense, if Bryant is injured or suspended, at least the steelers would have Coates if he is still with the steelers.
    DHB is just as good a deep threat as Coates is at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    DHB is just as good a deep threat as Coates is at this stage.

DHB has never had more than 400 yards in 5 games like Coates last year ....

He runs just as good a go route as Coates does and he catches just about as good right now. Unless Coates steps it up, there's no reason to keep him if they could trade him for a player that is going to contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    He runs just as good a go route as Coates does and he catches just about as good right now. Unless Coates steps it up, there's no reason to keep him if they could trade him for a player that is going to contribute.

I agree with the bold.

For DHB, I'm not sure, especially at his age.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

I agree with the bold.

For DHB, I'm not sure, especially at his age.
    Coaches like DHB for his special teams play (although given how horrible special teams have been I suppose that is sort of like being singled out as one of the better players on the Browns)

BurghBoy412

It will be interesting to see if a move is made.

a correction to an earlier post here not gonna look to see who posted it but Shamarko Thomas looks to be 3rd on the depth chart

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Jets = Steelers North

McClendon
    Beachum
    W.Johnson
    Sharknado
    Todman

Oops. Another depth chart I saw from a Non-Jets site had Sharknado listed as the #1.

Still, that is not a good roster.

Gotta be the worst roster in the league.