Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Colbert: Steelers 'have to be prepared' for life without Ben Roethlisberger

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Kevin Colbert: Steelers 'have to be prepared' for life without Ben Roethlisberger

Fans will get a chance to see what it might be like in the coming years when the Steelers play their first preseason game Friday night without Ben Roethlisberger, and the franchise is starting to prepare for the day when they do not have him at all.

“I hope he stays here more than one year, but we have to be prepared,” Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert told the Post-Gazette Wednesday.

The Steelers drafted quarterback Josh Dobbs in the fourth round this year and coach Mike Tomlin said the rookie will start against the New York Giants while a healthy Roethlisberger and injured backup Landry Jones will not play.

But with Roethlisberger, 35, not committing to playing beyond the 2017 season and considering his age, the Steelers are thinking about the future while hoping their star sticks around. Roethlisberger talked about possible retirement in January. He eventually committed to playing this season, but not beyond. Toward that end, Colbert may pay closer attention to quarterbacks when he makes his scouting rounds of colleges this year.

read more

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201708090125

- - - Updated - - -

Colbert said he was somewhat surprised that Roethlisberger was thinking about retirement in January....

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Re: Kevin Colbert: Steelers 'have to be prepared' for life without Ben Roethlisberger

They should draft 2 QBs next time.
    All Defense!

BurghBoy412

Re: Kevin Colbert: Steelers 'have to be prepared' for life without Ben Roethlisberger

Brian Schor/ James Madison U he's the future of this franchise!

Steelers clearly not prepared for life after Ben Roethlisberger

https://www.fanragsports.com/nfl/ste...oethlisberger/

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Nobody is prepared when a franchise QB retires.

Unless they find a way to strike gold(please Dobbs!!!) like a few teams before did, but that is rare.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post

Unless they find a way to strike gold(please Dobbs!!!) like a few teams before did, but that is rare.
    Only the Packers(Favre) was prepared in the last 10-15 years.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post

Colts were. Packers were. Cowboys turned out to be. Patriots appear to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Colts were. Packers were. Cowboys turned out to be. Patriots appear to be.

The Colts have been very lucky of the timing of the neck surgery of Manning.

And I don't think Jerry Jones thought Dark was going to be good like that.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Regardless of luck or not, they had the sense to draft the guy they did and they would up with the next guy on the team and ready. You could add the Redskins to that list as well.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The Colts have been very lucky of the timing of the neck surgery of Manning.
    Yeah, Colts don't get Luck if Manning stays healthy.

But that doesn't matter. Fact is they had the sense to get him.

I feel bad for Luck, poor guy is getting killed.

- - - Updated - - -

...and then not get him any help......that's looking after your QB future.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post

yeah...The colts have a horrible owner and the colts had a horrible GM.

Hopefully their new GM will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post

- - - Updated - - -

...and then not get him any help......that's looking after your QB future.
    Yeah he's getting killed. He's a franchise QB out there on his own.

Yeah he's getting killed. He's a franchise QB out there on his own.
    Kind of pointless,isn't it.

It was not because of their competence that the Colts have had Luck.

The Colts always had one of the worst backup QB of the NFL when Manning was there and they were lucky that Manning was healthy during his first 13 years and when Manning could not play it was in a year that the best prospect QB Since Manning was in the following draft.

So okay. Take the Colts out. There's still plenty of examples where teams had the next guy on the roster.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Dallas the last 2 changes at starting QB ... not just Prescott but Romo himself was already on the roster to replace Bledsoe after bledsoe was replaced by Brady in NE

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

QB Josh Dobbs to start Steelers' preseason opener

Aug 9, 2017
    Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

LATROBE, Pa. -- Pittsburgh Steelers rookie quarterback Josh Dobbs will start Friday at MetLife Stadium against the New York Giants, coach Mike Tomlin said Wednesday.

Ben Roethlisberger will rest for the first preseason game, and primary backup Landry Jones is dealing with an abdominal injury.

"One man's misfortune is another man's opportunity," Tomlin said. "I know [Dobbs is] excited about it. I know I'm excited about watching him play the quarterback position in that group."

to read rest of article:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2029 ... son-opener

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Ben's replacement is busy tonight bagging groceries at ALDI.

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    Dallas the last 2 changes at starting QB ... not just Prescott but Romo himself was already on the roster to replace Bledsoe after bledsoe was replaced by Brady in NE
    And how many Lombardies did that line of succesion got them?

Quote Originally Posted by Drazo85 View Post
    And how many Lombardies did that line of succesion got them?

You can have a very good QB, even if you do not have a Super Bowl!

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    You can have a very good QB, even if you do not have a Super Bowl!
    Yes you can. But you play to win titles, and QBs are defined by them. Sure there are Marino, Kelly, Moon, etc but those men won consistently. Romo and Bledsoe have two or three (i' m guessing, correct me if i'm wrong) playoff wins combined. I'm not calling that successfull, for that is waste a time and money.

Bledsoe and Romo weren't a waste of time. They were bothe very good QBs. By your logic, you'd rather ride or die with Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson than have Bledsoe or Romo?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

This got weird. I mean Rex Grossman played in a Super

http://beardownuk.com/wp/wp-content/...anbendover.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    This got weird. I mean Rex Grossman played in a Super

http://beardownuk.com/wp/wp-content/...anbendover.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lol. I forgot about him.

I'm sorry, I didn't understand well about what we are talking here. I thought we are talking about franchise quarterbacks, not journeymens who accidentaly stumbled to superbowl appearances or wins. Somehow Dilfer has similar playoff record like Romo. Sure i would rather have Marino, Kelly, Moon than Dilfer or Brad Johnson, but Romo was waste of time and money. So was Bledsoe in Dallas, so is Tannenhill in Miami, Palmer in Cincinnaty, Oakland and Arizona, Stafford in Detroit, Alex Smith in KC... Rivers and Luck are stuck with incompentent owners and organisations.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drazo85 View Post
    I'm sorry, I didn't understand well about what we are talking here. I thought we are talking about franchise quarterbacks, not journeymens who accidentaly stumbled to superbowl appearances or wins. Somehow Dilfer has similar playoff record like Romo. Sure i would rather have Marino, Kelly, Moon than Dilfer or Brad Johnson, but Romo was waste of time and money. So was Bledsoe in Dallas, so is Tannenhill in Miami, Palmer in Cincinnaty, Oakland and Arizona, Stafford in Detroit, Alex Smith in KC... Rivers and Luck are stuck with incompentent owners and organisations.
    Not sure I'm following. What is the reason that Romo was a waste? That he didn't win a Super Bowl and/or more playoff games?

So how should teams be evaluating QBs? How many playoff wins per season? 1? 2? 4? What about if the team fails to make the playoffs? Do they cut the QB and draft another guy for his spot?

I'm not saying Romo is great or whatever, but not sure what the standard between "worth the money" and "waste of money" is falling.

I would be glad if the replacement of Roethlisberger would be a QB caliber of Romo since it is realistic to think that you can win a super bowl with him.

Ask Bill Cowher if he would have been glad to have Romo in his first 12 years!

So who should Dallas have had in place of Romo that wasn't a "waste of time and money." It's not like you can just go pick a Franchise QB off a tree.

You mentioned Moon. He was 3-7 in the playoffs. Romo was 2-4. Moon was pretty much a waste of time and money then.

You've almost named half the league as a waste of time. Again, where are those team supposed to get QBs that aren't a "waste of time"?