Thread: 2017 Camp Notes by Alex Kozora

Hybrid View

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

2017 Camp Notes by Alex Kozora

Steelers Training Camp Diary: Day One

Life is good, Steelers’ Nation. A little soggy but good. Football. Is. Back. After braving a near monsoon driving down to Latrobe that drove the Pittsburgh Steelers to Greater Latrobe High School a couple miles away from St. Vincent College, the team hit the turf field at 3:55 PM. Six yellow school buses brought the team over. Big kudos to the Steelers’ staff for the last second change.

Quick aside: want to thank our training camp sponsor, Touring Plans, who is supporting the meals throughout camp. Had to have my McChicken’s today. Thanks again to Touring Plans, who you should check out if you’re ever planning a trip to Disney, the second most magical place on Earth (SVC being the first, of course). You can hit up their website here.

Already had one delay today so let’s not waste any more time. Here’s what happened at Training Camp: Day One.

At 3:44 PM, the players and coaches all pretty much piled out at once. Antonio Brown was technically the first man out, beaming that pearly smile and the crowd (still sizable, despite the weather) went bonkers for him. I know it might not feel like much, and maybe I’m being over the top, hyped up on football’s return, but AB is showing some leadership traits. Calling out Le’Veon Bell, being the first guy out to practice. Remember, there was one day of practice where he showed up late, after the initial whistle at 2:55. I hope he continues this course and embraces the leadership role the way someone like Ben Roethlisberger has done.

Injury roundup: Lavon Hooks the only non-PUP player to be held out of practice today. Unknown injury unless Mike Tomlin said something I missed. JuJu Smith-Schuster briefly hurt something but was able to return and finish practice. Whew. James Harrison went through individual work, sporting his grey sweats and pants but didn’t participate in team drills............

Read more @
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/07...diary-day-one/

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Re: 2017 Camp Notes by Alex Kozora

Steelers’ Training Camp Diary: Day Two

A much nicer day of camp today. But with St. Vincent still drying out, the team again shifted practice back to Greater Latrobe High School. Which is fine by me. It’s a really nice stadium and with only one field available, you get a better look at the defense than usual.

Quick aside: want to thank our training camp sponsor, Touring Plans, who is supporting the meals throughout camp. Thanks again to them, who you should check out if you’re ever planning a trip to Disney, the second most magical place on Earth (SVC being the first, of course). You can hit up their website here.

Ok, let’s dive into today’s report. Injury wise, not too much different than yesterday. Lavon Hooks still out for unknown reasons. JuJu Smith-Schuster did not practice today after suffering an ankle injury yesterday. While he finished out yesterday’s session, it apparently felt a little worse today – not uncommon – and Mike Tomlin said they were going to keep him out for a couple of days. Tomlin also noted Cameron Sutton left with a lower body injury.

James Harrison was still not working in team sessions. Don’t expect that to change tomorrow when the pads come on.His sweats were still – well – sweaty, by the end of practice. Canaan Severin practiced fully after being activated off PUP.

To Smith-Schuster’s credit, he was in wide receivers coach Richard Mann’s hip pocket all day, paper of presumably, playcalls, in hand. No one better to learn from.............

read more @ http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/07...diary-day-two/

Steelers’ Training Camp Diary: Day Three

Whew, what an intense day. Maybe ratcheted down a tad with Ben Roethlisberger missing and some of the injuries, but we’re officially into football season. Pads came on today at St. Vincent College. Great weather, great football, let’s dive in.

Quick aside: want to thank our training camp sponsor, Touring Plans, who is supporting the meals throughout camp. Thanks again to them, who you should check out if you’re ever planning a trip to Disney, the second most magical place on Earth (SVC being the first, of course). You can hit up their website here.

Injury roundup, which I’m sure many of you already know. Not pretty for the first day of pads but it rarely is. Not practicing today were Cam Sutton (lower body), JuJu Smith-Schuster (ankle), James Harrison (old – was in individual work), Lavon Hooks (unknown), Roethlisberger (excused absence), and Vince Williams (unknown).

Sammie Coates was already warmed up on the JUGS machine by the time I got to practice a little after two. He caught some more towards the end before the final whistle when Antonio Brown and the gang come over and spend 45 minutes there. Also spotted him doing some light stretches on the middle field during the early part of practice.

Smith-Schuster caught towards the end of practice as well.............. Read more @ http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/07...y-day-three-2/

Steelers Training Camp Diary: Day Four

We’re through the first leg of the Pittsburgh Steelers’ 2017 training camp. The team is off tomorrow before returning for their longest stretch, practicing Wednesday through Sunday. Let’s get into what happened.

Injury report getting longer: Those out today: James Conner (shoulder), Mike Mitchell (foot/ankle), Senquez Golson (hamstring), Lavon Hooks (unknown), Cam Sutton (lower body), and Vince Williams (shoulder). Conner and Golson were in Pittsburgh, per Mike Tomlin. Ramon Foster also appeared to get the day off. B.J. Finney ran as first team left guard.

Injuries during practice all seemed pretty minor. Landry Jones and Stephon Tuitt got dinged up but both hung around practice without the aid of trainers.
    The good news regarding injuries: Keion Adams and Xavier Grimble were back after heat-related problems yesterday. JuJu Smith-Schuster appeared to take some big steps forward. Began practice with some light jogging and cutting and then went through routes with the rest of the receivers in individual work. Ran nearly full speed in a straight line..............

read more @ http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/07...ry-day-four-2/

Steelers Training Camp Diary: Day Five

Another great day of practice, one that was won by the Pittsburgh Steelers’ defense. Let’s jump in.

Quick aside: want to thank our training camp sponsor, Touring Plans, who is supporting the meals throughout camp. No McDonalds today; leftover diner food from yesterday’s off today. Thanks again to them, who you should check out if you’re ever planning a trip to Disney, the second most magical place on Earth (SVC being the first, of course). You can hit up their website here.

Injury roundup: seven guys not working today. Cam Sutton (lower body), James Conner (AC Sprain), Senquez Golson (angered Football Gods), Landry Jones (abdomen strain), Mike Mitchell (ankle/foot), Antonio Brown/Cam Heyward (wife had baby).

On the good news. JuJu Smith-Schuster went through a full practice and looked good. Vince Williams suited up his pads for the first time all camp and Lavon Hooks got his first practice in after dealing with an unknown injury. Stephon Tuitt came back after missing the back half of Monday’s practice and Ramon Foster returned after getting that practice off.

Sutton looks to be starting the very beginning of his rehab, tracing the sideline of the middle field, the first sign of on-field rehab. Sammie Coates was more aggressive and looks closer to a return, doing some light jogging alongside Martavis Bryant, who was running close to full speed.............

read more @ http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08...ry-day-five-2/

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Sammie Coates was more aggressive and looks closer to a return, doing some light jogging alongside Martavis Bryant, who was running close to full speed.............
    This can't be. Alex must be mistaken. I thought they were feuding???

Steelers Training Camp Diary: Day Six

The Pittsburgh Steelers’ training camp practice today was certainly a lower intensity one than any of the others they’ve had in pads so far. It is a long stretch of practice, five in a row, and the always impactful Friday Night Light’s practice is happening tomorrow evening. So smart to ramp things down a tad, many players wearing shorts today, and no live tackling during team drills. Let’s get into what happened.

Injury roundup. Came out looking ok today. Still out: Cam Sutton (lower body), Mike Mitchell (ankle/foot), Cam Heyward (excused), Senquez Golson (received a monkey’s paw, wishes backfired), and James Conner (shoulder). Some minor appearing bumps and bruises throughout the day. Ryan Shazier with a hamstring, Alejandro Villanueva with the most minor or lower body injuries (he didn’t miss a rep), and Ben Roethlisberger reportedly turned an ankle and sat out the last team session. He’s fine, too.

Bud Dupree looked ok but was held out of the latter three team sessions. Chickillo started at LOLB. Not sure what’s up...........

Read more @ http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08...ary-day-six-2/

Steelers Training Camp Diary: Day Seven

Still a good practice out at Latrobe Memorial High School tonight but it was dampened, literally, by some severe weather. Lightning drove fans out of the stadium for about 15 minutes, with many evidently deciding not to return and just go home. Truth be told, I missed seven shots and the beginning of one-on-one work while I was making my way back to the field. So that, well, that sucked pretty hard. Steelers.com should have the recap of 7 shots.

Read all about it at the link here.

Quick aside: want to thank our training camp sponsor, Touring Plans, who is supporting the meals throughout camp. Late dinner tonight but when it’s Friday Night Lights, it’s well worth it. Thanks again to them, who you should check out if you’re ever planning a trip to Disney, the second most magical place on Earth (SVC being the first, of course). You can hit up their website here.

– Injury roundup. Whew, lot of guys missing today. Some rest, some injury. The usual suspects: Mike Mitchell (maybe something with his thigh, was wrapping it up at the end of practice), Cam Sutton (lower body), James Conner (AC Sprain), Senquez Golson (Goodell suspending his left hamstring for “conduct detrimental to the league”), Greg Ducre (unknown), Justin Hunter (unknown), Ben Roethlisberger (rest), Marcus Gilbert (rest?), Maurkice Pouncey (possibly rest, did have a small wrap around his lower left leg), James Harrison (old), Ryan Shazier (hamstring), Landry Jones (abdominal strain), Bud Dupree (unknown)..........

read more @ http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08...y-day-seven-2/

Steelers Training Camp Diary: Day Eight

An intense but shorter practice today for the Pittsburgh Steelers out at St. Vincent College. Wrapped up at 5:03, 10-15 minutes earlier than usual, but there was a good bit of hitting going on today.

Quick aside: want to thank our training camp sponsor, Touring Plans, who is supporting the meals throughout camp. Late dinner tonight but when it’s Friday Night Lights, it’s well worth it. Thanks again to them, who you should check out if you’re ever planning a trip to Disney, the second most magical place on Earth (SVC being the first, of course). You can hit up their website here.

Injury roundup. Some good, some bad news. After days of rest, Ben Roethlisberger, Marcus Gilbert, and Maurkice Pouncey all returned to the lineup. Sean Davis also practiced after missing most of yesterday with a reported shoulder injury. Justin Hunter was also a welcome sight, though he tweaked his left shoulder early in team. Did finish out the day so that’s good news.

Those who did not practice. Buckle up: Mike Mitchell (leg), Cam Sutton (hamstring), Greg Ducre (had pads on but didn’t do anything, unknown), Artie Burns (left leg/groin), Senquez Golson (refused to defend every blade of grass), James Conner (AC sprain), Landry Jones (abdominal strain), Bud Dupree (unknown), Ryan Shazier (hamstring), Mike Matthews (unknown – right leg?), Keion Adams (left shoulder?), and Ramon Foster (rest).

Conner did go through at pretty much full speed with the other RBs in positional work, running routes and catching passes. Made a one-handed snag on a corner route. So he’s gotta be close...........

Read more @ http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08...y-day-eight-2/

Steelers Training Camp Diary: Day Nine

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08/steelers-training-camp-diary-day-nine-2/

Steelers’ Training Camp Diary: Day Ten

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08/steelers-training-camp-diary-day-ten-2/