Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Artie Burns-Antonio Brown matchup heats up on first day of Steelers camp

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Artie Burns-Antonio Brown matchup heats up on first day of Steelers camp

PITTSBURGH -- Steelers coach Mike Tomlin let Antonio Brown know who was ready for him.

"Two-five," Tomlin said to Brown as the star receiver stretched before Friday's rain-soaked training camp opener.

And Brown replied, "Hopefully."

Sure, No. 25, Artie Burns, lost a few downfield plays to Brown, as is customary for anyone guarding him. But early indications are Burns, last year's first-round pick, is better equipped to pester Brown in Year 2.

read more

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-...-steelers-camp

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Artie Burns-Antonio Brown matchup heats up on first day of Steelers camp

If Burns has a few winning plays against Brown we should be excited.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

LATROBE – Antonio Brown jogged over to the sideline to share talk with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger midway through the Steelers’ first full training camp practice Friday.

“He’s getting better,” Roethlisberger said to Brown, who agreed.

The he to which Roethlisberger was referring is second-year cornerback Artie Burns, the Steelers’ 2016 first-round draft pick.

Burns’ skillset was on display in a practice that had to be moved to Latrobe High School’s turf football field because of heavy rains that drenched the area.

As the young cornerback did throughout the offseason workouts, Burns followed Brown all over the football field Friday and made things tough on one of the NFL’s top wide receivers. When Brown went deep, there was Burns running with him stride for stride to break up a pass. When he ran a post pattern, Burns broke on the ball, getting a hand on it with some help from second-year safety Sean Davis, who knocked Brown to the ground.

It’s all part of the master plan.

The Steelers figure that if Burns can cover Brown, who has surpassed 100 receptions in each of the past four seasons, then he can hold up well against anyone on their schedule.

It’s far different from when they challenged Burns last season.

After missing a large portion of training camp and the preseason, Burns broke into the starting lineup in early November at Baltimore. He promptly was beaten by wide receiver Mike Wallace for a 95-yard touchdown. A few weeks earlier in a loss at Miami, Burns struggled with his tackling.

By season’s end, Burns had 64 tackles, 13 pass defenses and a team-high three interceptions.

“Early on, Artie had trouble getting on the field because of injury,” defensive backs coach Carnell Lake said. “Once he got on the field, every team is going to attack rookies and they attacked him. He learned some situations, the Baltimore situation, for example. He had a little trouble in that game. He had a little trouble in the Miami game. After that, he took it to heart and started progressing.

“That’s what we wanted to see. We wanted to see a guy who we drafted in the first round get into the lineup. Teams are going to try to drown you and see if you can sink or swim. He survived. This year, I want to see him drown some players on the other side. That’s where we are with him.”

read more

http://www.observer-reporter.com/201..._heat_on_burns

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

As long as he's showing improvement, and it sounds like he is, that's all anyone can really ask for.

By the way, Burns followed AB around all day. Wasn’t a left side/right side thing. They want Burns to be more comfortable at both spots, giving the defense more flexibility when they choose to shadow, and give Burns the chance to go up against the league’s best wide receiver every single rep.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/07...diary-day-one/

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

This is great news to hear. Maybe we will finally have a good and consistent corner.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Ben getting angry about Burns' coverage is a HUGE indicator that that kid is gonna be GREAT cornerback.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Nice, Artie. Now take care of your DMV issues, dude.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

I like the aggressiveness on display already from the young guys on defense. Just don't get over zealous. Good QBs like gaydy Brady will use that over aggressiveness against us.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

The potential of this defense is there.

I don't know if Butler is the right man for this job, but we'll see, especially in the game against the Packers and the Pats.

Our coaching staff must not lose confidence in their players if our defense gives a big play in the beginning of game, since these are things that they can happen more often if the steelers play man to man, but by playing less zone, this Defense should have more 3 and out, so that means more drive for our offense!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Two words: SHUT DOWN.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    As long as he's showing improvement, and it sounds like he is, that's all anyone can really ask for.
    THIS ....

and we have to remember its his second year , first as a projected full time starter he will still have some growing pains as he is not a finished product YET ...

remember this is a kid who never had a full off season to dedicate to football , a kid who never had a full camp in college either because he spent half or more of the practices at track n field ... he is still learning his craft

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Fingers crossed

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    THIS ....

and we have to remember its his second year , first as a projected full time starter he will still have some growing pains as he is not a finished product YET ...

remember this is a kid who never had a full off season to dedicate to football , a kid who never had a full camp in college either because he spent half or more of the practices at track n field ... he is still learning his craft
    Bingo!!!

What I loved about Burns was that he improved every year; he got better and better and better. A lot of "potential" guys never reach that potential, but Burns' learning curve suggests that he will indeed reach his full potential (which should be amazing).

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Bingo!!!

What I loved about Burns was that he improved every year; he got better and better and better. A lot of "potential" guys never reach that potential, but Burns' learning curve suggests that he will indeed reach his full potential (which should be amazing).
    I think the key to our 2017 season (besides injuries and drug tests), may be the development of this young secondary by the playoffs.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    I think the key to our 2017 season (besides injuries and drug tests), may be the development of this young secondary by the playoffs.
    Indeed

Burns has the "potential" to be an All Pro (by year four); I'll gladly take "very good" by the end of this season.

Similarly, Davis is already very good, and by the end of this season, he could be our best secondary player since Troy.

Lastly, Sutton is a steal.

SUMMATION:
    We are looking at the fledgling stages of The Steel Legion of No Fly Curtain.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Indeed

Burns has the "potential" to be an All Pro (by year four); I'll gladly take "very good" by the end of this season.

Similarly, Davis is already very good, and by the end of this season, he could be our best secondary player since Troy.

SUMMATION:

Indeed

SUMMATION:

Haha...This is the best case scenario!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

This preseason nonsense has me excited about Burns. Gets me every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    This preseason nonsense has me excited about Burns. Gets me every time.
    I agree. Me too. Have to keep in mind Burns knows the ball is coming in drills. It's when he gets faked and beaten in the games was his weakness rookie year. 1 on 1 most will look decent. I want to see Burns improve in recognition this season. Cover skills are there. Year 3 will be Artie's best, I'm thinking. I love the potential of this young defense. I know not all of them will pan out, but still fun and exciting to think about it.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    That's HUGE!

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    That's HUGE!
    Or what Coates has is contagious....

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Just maybe Burns can turn into a shut down corner?

Quote Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
    Just maybe Burns can turn into a shut down corner?
    As I said in a another thread,if Burns and Dupree have a breakout season,this defense will be great this year!

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Remember the freak out when they selected Burns? As I say "trust the front office"

And lol at Kozora being snobby at the fact Brian may have stolen his stats, acting like the whole Depot crew doesn't re-write other writers work.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Remember the freak out when they selected Burns? As I say "trust the front office"

And lol at Kozora being snobby at the fact Brian may have stolen his stats, acting like the whole Depot crew doesn't re-write other writers work.
    I'll always remember that!

Many thought that Burns was a project, it was a panic pick and that he was only going to be a starter in his 3rd or 4th season, but Burns is a starter since the middle of his rookie season.

Sometimes I hate reactions after a draft pick.It happens with Shazier also in 2014.

Our front office is not perfect, but this is one of the best in the NFL and I don't understand why they are so underrated.