Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bryant is still in the process of being fully reinstated

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Bryant is still in the process of being fully reinstated

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    It's true. Steelers traded the 5th round pick they got for Holmes and traded it to the Cardinals. They got Bryant McFadden and a 6th round pick in return. That 6th round pick was AB
    Sometimes, better be lucky than good!

I mean, the steelers have selected Jonathan Dwyer 7 pick before Antonio Brown with their 188th pick.Not a bad draft pick for a 6 round draft pick, but if Brown had been drafted at the 188th pick instead, Holmes's trade would have been bad and it was an overreaction.

I know that Holmes would have left the year after, but the Steelers would have had a 3rd round compensation pick instead, but better to be lucky than good sometimes!

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The trade of Santonio Holmes was bad for the steelers.....It was a overreaction with the situation of Holmes and also Roethisberger....
    As posted above, the draft pick received for Holmes worked out OK

In the spring of 2010 Holmes was going into the 5th year of his initial contract and was not going to get a new contract with the Steelers. Holmes had been acting out through 2009 and once he rejoined the team following his 4 game suspension would have made the Mike Wallace 2012 season look like a walk in the park if he had stayed with the team through 2010.

The prelude to the Holmes and Ben crack ups in 2010 was the entire Super Bowl hangover 2009 season, which included Ward calling out Ben on national TV for sitting out a game with a concussion and the team falling apart with a five game losing streak (remember unleash hell?). I think the Rooneys and Tomlin knew a lot about that 2009 team that never came out and decided to send a message that nonsense was over by dumping Holmes.

Rather than face losing Holmes and Ben to start the 2010 season Steelers made the right decision to cut their losses

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Which part of Bryant's history instills confidence in you that he has actually met all the conditions for reinstatement?
    By the same token, which part of Goodell's history in general regarding player discipline should instill confidence that Bryant's case has actually been handled competently and fairly?

In regard to player discipline, Goodell has an established history of making shit up as he goes along and it's usually dictated by the level of media "outrage" a specific player's case generates as to how he handles it. And it's also the absolutely wrong way to handle player discipline.

Yes, Martavis Bryant is a knucklehead, but Goodell is an incompetent assclown and IMO, the worst commissioner in professional sports by a pretty good margin.

Personally, I'm certainly not prepared to give Goodell or the league any benefit of the doubt.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    By the same token, which part of Goodell's history in general regarding player discipline should instill confidence that Bryant's case has actually been handled competently and fairly?

In regard to player discipline, Goodell has an established history of making shit up as he goes along and it's usually dictated by the level of media "outrage" a specific player's case generates as to how he handles it. And it's also the absolutely wrong way to handle player discipline.

Yes, Martavis Bryant is a knucklehead, but Goodell is an incompetent assclown and IMO, the worst commissioner in professional sports by a pretty good margin.

Personally, I'm certainly not prepared to give Goodell or the league any benefit of the doubt.
    Agreed. It's plausible that Bryant the idiot just didn't follow through with everything but thought he did, and at the same time it is plausible that Bryant did everything asked of him and Gotohell is holding up full reinstatement for the singular purpose of giving himself something else to laugh about while he is talking to himself about how great of a commissioner he thinks he is. Frankly, I just wish this easily avoided shit show would end

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

One would think his agent/advisors would be aware of any outstanding requirements and have made sure that all of them were fulfilled. Not to mention the Steelers FO would be monitoring at this point, since the clock is ticking towards the season opener. They have to know something that we don't. (imagine that)

Something just doesn't smell right.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

The Holmes trade was good? You've got to be kidding me. That was the biggest "get the fuck out of here, we don't even care if we get a sandwich for you" trade in the history of the league. Usually, what we got in return will end up being this: A guy who doesn't even make the team, or struggles every time he's on the field until he's cut after a year or two. That we were later incredibly lucky with a draft pick two trades removed from the Holmes deal is completely unrelated.

Same logic as saying Emmanuel Sanders was a "home run" draft pick because he went on to be good with another team when we got nothing in return.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    The Holmes trade was good? You've got to be kidding me. That was the biggest "get the fuck out of here, we don't even care if we get a sandwich for you" trade in the history of the league. Usually, what we got in return will end up being this: A guy who doesn't even make the team, or struggles every time he's on the field until he's cut after a year or two. That we were later incredibly lucky with a draft pick two trades removed from the Holmes deal is completely unrelated.

Same logic as saying Emmanuel Sanders was a "home run" draft pick because he went on to be good with another team when we got nothing in return.
    This

And even if Holmes would probably leave the steelers the following year, we will probably have had a 3rd round compensation pick because of his big contract that Holmes would have had with another team.

The steelers had another 5th round pick, if the steelers wanted Bryan McFadden, the steelers could have made this trade with the 5th round draft pick that we had instead of selecting a no name!

The steelers were very fortunate in this situation.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

For the record, I'm in the minority, but I have no problems with Roger as commissioner.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post

Addition through subtraction - they got rid of a player who admitted he butted heads with Tomlin throughout 2009 and that they were going to cut if they did not receive a draft choice for him

Unless you assume with Holmes the Steelers would have won the Super Bowl (without having him for the first 4 games in 2010) hard to say it was bad trade since Holmes was gone in 2011 even if he stayed in 2010

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

For the record, I'm in the minority, but I have no problems with Roger as commissioner.
    Fair enough. To each their own...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

This is all most likely on the league. Most "Twitter insiders" have been saying so - Fowler, Glazer, etc. If it was on.Bryant, this story would be every where. League sucks at things, not interesting and no one outside of Steelers fans cares. Bryant sucks at things tons of clicks and content gets generated by interest from fantasy football, general NFL fans, and internet rubberneckers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I guess my issue in all this is ....

1) he was suspended for the 2016 season

2 ) this is the 2017 season , he did his time there should be no other restrictions the NFL is not a judicial branch of government

3) precedent ... there is none like this case and should have been appealed by the NFLPA yet those yes men have been silent

4) the NFL is headed into uncharted waters , where they give players guidelines to follow , dole out punishments far greater than the actual Law would administer and fines that are crazy huge on top of it all considering no play no pay ( a fine in itself to some degree ) then once time is served more burdens places upon you and hoops to jump through just to get back into the game ....

point being I guess is the hoops themselves are a punishment , the suspension is a punishment , the lack of pay is yet another punishment , the fines are another punishment ... at what point is this all just to damned much ...

get caught with a little weed by a cop $100 bill in fines ends the entire thing ....

when did the NFL become greater than the law of the land and is it a smart thing for them to be ???

something to ponder

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

In my opinion, a draft pick is a chance to identify guys that can.play and play well in the NFL. If free agency, the cap, and roster constraints prevent that from happening on your team - that doesn't mean the pick was not a great pick.

Borland by the 49ers was a great later round pick. He had to retire due to injury. But for one season he showed he could be good. Pretty good draft pick.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post

2 ) this is the 2017 season , he did his time there should be no other restrictions the NFL is not a judicial branch of government

3) precedent ... there is none like this case and should have been appealed by the NFLPA yet those yes men have been silent

4) the NFL is headed into uncharted waters , where they give players guidelines to follow , dole out punishments far greater than the actual Law would administer and fines that are crazy huge on top of it all considering no play no pay ( a fine in itself to some degree ) then once time is served more burdens places upon you and hoops to jump through just to get back into the game ....

point being I guess is the hoops themselves are a punishment , the suspension is a punishment , the lack of pay is yet another punishment , the fines are another punishment ... at what point is this all just to damned much ...

get caught with a little weed by a cop $100 bill in fines ends the entire thing ....

when did the NFL become greater than the law of the land and is it a smart thing for them to be ???

something to ponder
    Every company has the right to create and enforce terms of employment. It's like the old freedom of speech argument. You can say whatever you want, but that doesn't mean there aren't consequences.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Every company has the right to create and enforce terms of employment. It's like the old freedom of speech argument. You can say whatever you want, but that doesn't mean there aren't consequences.
    the league isnt the employer the teams are , and yes I agree they have some rights but should those rights be allowed to be what I would call " double jeopardy terms " which is above and beyond the law

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    This is all most likely on the league. Most "Twitter insiders" have been saying so - Fowler, Glazer, etc. If it was on.Bryant, this story would be every where. League sucks at things, not interesting and no one outside of Steelers fans cares. Bryant sucks at things tons of clicks and content gets generated by interest from fantasy football, general NFL fans, and internet rubberneckers.

Why the apparent silence from the NFLPA and the agent?

If I am the agent I want other potential clients to know I push for my players when I think the league office is screwing around and while impotent the NFLPA has not been bashful about calling out the league office when it is jerking a player around.

the league isnt the employer the teams are , and yes I agree they have some rights but should those rights be allowed to be what I would call " double jeopardy terms " which is above and beyond the law
    The NFLPA negotiated a crappy collective bargaining agreement that allowed it to happen - in defense of the NFLPA the players were unwilling or unable (unlike MLB and NBA players) to shut down a season as leverage to get a better deal after the NFL hired replacement players to break the 1987 strike

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

something to ponder

Is the NFL taking lessons from Congress and Robert Mueller? The shit is getting ridiculous.
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Is the NFL taking lessons from Congress and Robert Mueller? The shit is getting ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    I am getting tired of all of the political and marijuana bullshit. They are just as bad as the cheap shots players take on each other. Stop it already.

Goodell works for the owners. He represents their interests. All indications are that they are very happy with business since RG took over. Players agreed to the CBA, with all the terms spelled out. Life sucks that way. You know... make millions of dollars in a few short years, playing a game. Just don't get caught doing drugs multiple times, beat your wife in the elevator or refuse to stand during the National Anthem.

BurghBoy412

Goodell works for the owners. He represents their interests. All indications are that they are very happy with business since RG took over. Players agreed to the CBA, with all the terms spelled out. Life sucks that way. You know... make millions of dollars in a few short years, playing a game. Just don't get caught doing drugs multiple times, beat your wife in the elevator or refuse to stand during the National Anthem.
    Exactly! Goodell works for the owner's. This is why I suspect this hold up has something to do with Rooney and Colbert. They may say differently but I suspect there is some underlying resentment with Bryant. They may be using him to make an example. Screw around on us and see how hard it is to get back in the good graces. I may be way off. However I can imagine deep down the Steelers front office is still pretty pissed off with this guy.

I won't be surprised to see Bryant get cut. Especially if Justin Hunter is viewed as a dependable replacement, without the baggage.

This is obvious that the NFL product is much worse since Goodell is the Commissioner.

So much inconsistent in its punishments and I hope that the NFLPA will dominate Goodell during the lockout in 2021.

Bryant was suspended for the 2016 season, not 2017, so enough is enough

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    Exactly! Goodell works for the owner's. This is why I suspect this hold up has something to do with Rooney and Colbert. They may say differently but I suspect there is some underlying resentment with Bryant. They may be using him to make an example. Screw around on us and see how hard it is to get back in the good graces. I may be way off. However I can imagine deep down the Steelers front office is still pretty pissed off with this guy.

I won't be surprised to see Bryant get cut. Especially if Justin Hunter is viewed as a dependable replacement, without the baggage.

Please, it would be a major mistake.

BurghBoy412

This is obvious that the NFL product is much worse since Goodell is the Commissioner.

So much inconsistent in its punishments and I hope that the NFLPA will dominate Goodell during the lockout in 2021.

- - - Updated - - -

It depends on how they view things not me. Not saying it will happen but it wouldn't surprise me.

- - - Updated - - -

What exactly is worse about the product?

What exactly is worse about the product?

The games

As the referee are worse, because he has so many complicated rules now, the Thursday night games are horrible because the teams have very little time to prepare and often at least one of his teams play their worst game of the year on a Thursday night and etc.

The fact that the pro bowl is now before the super bowl is horrible, because too many players are selecting and it's almost an insult now if you're not selecting and when it's the 14th and 15th best QB are at pro bowl ,It's a shame

and several other things that I have problems.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

yeh what the hell is going on here?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

There is no way that will happen unless Bryant failed a drug test and I don't think that is the case at all. I think he'll be at work by Monday. By the way, I believe Hunter was injured today, but not sure what the issue was. If Hunter replaces anyone it will be Coates. Alex update on Hunter, out holding his shoulder, but came back in later. Good News!

“He’s (Bryant) now been with us since the Spring and he’s been dedicated, working out, doing everything he can, Rooney said. “He looks like he’s in great shape and we’re just anxious to get him back in full in practice here and hopefully it will be any day now.”

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08...-will-day-now/

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post

There is no way that will happen unless Bryant failed a drug test and I don't think that is the case at all. I think he'll be at work by Monday. By the way, I believe Hunter was injured yesterday but not sure what the issue was. If Hunter replaces anyone it will be Coates.

“He’s (Bryant) now been with us since the Spring and he’s been dedicated, working out, doing everything he can, Rooney said. “He looks like he’s in great shape and we’re just anxious to get him back in full in practice here and hopefully it will be any day now.”

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08...-will-day-now/
    I'm thinking Monday too so he will be able to practice some this week with the team. Maybe a chance he can play in the preseason opener.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    I'm thinking Monday too so he will be able to practice some this week with the team. Maybe a chance he can play in the preseason opener.
    Lets hope for tomorrow!

We never know with Goodell....

it will not happen ...UNLESS he fails a test