Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Schefter: Steelers Not Close To Signing Bell Long-Term With Deadline Looming

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar
    Galagon 2004 Champion!

Re: Schefter: Steelers Not Close To Signing Bell Long-Term With Deadline Looming

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    whats left to negotiate though , we know what he wants and its so far out of the realm of possibility the only thing left to do is laugh at his joke of demands of self worth ....

the deadline was to get a long term deal done before the Tag officially kicks in ...

Ike suggests he MIGHT hold out and really make a statement ... since the tag is unsigned wondering if we can rescind it if it lingers into the season ??

I want this team focused on winning not on what Bell is doing ..last thing we need is a distraction
    Bingo. Ben's window (and as a result, the team's window) is closing rapidly, and that's what really matters at this point.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Schefter: Steelers Not Close To Signing Bell Long-Term With Deadline Looming

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Yes, but that's also if the issue is straight up figures. It sounds, however, like the issue was guaranteed money. Personally, I'd rather take a 3 mill a year cut from each of those figures but be guaranteed 40 or 50 percent of it.
    That's the thing, let's assume he does indeed get injured/cut (even though I find it likely that he doesn't get at least two years of his contract)...

Year 1, Contract: $12 million
    Year 1, No contract: $12 million

Year 2, Contract: 0
    Year 2, No contract: 0

Not signing doesn't help him in the least (nor does it truly hurt him). That said, if he doesn't get injured, not signing could indeed end up hurting him...

Contract: 2 years/$30 million
    No contract: 2 years/$26 million

SUMMATION:
    As it is now, either way, he is not guaranteed anything beyond this season. Sure, the contract does not guarantee anything beyond that first year, but it does have a lofty salary of $18 million... which would be $4 million more than his current situation. Plus, more importantly, The Rooney are like The Lannisters: they always pay their debts. (As in: there is little chance that Bell doesn't see at least the first two years of his contract.)

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has much to be proud of">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

SUMMATION:
    As it is now, either way, he is not guaranteed anything beyond this season.
    Which IMO is in the overall best interests of the Steelers

As was posted above, the nightmare scenario for the Steelers if Bell had signed a long time deal is a significant injury (not unlikely given Bell's history) or the Woodley scenario (get the big contract and then slack off - again not an unlikely possibility given two suspensions) that has the Steelers carrying a big signing bonus as dead money for a player that does not perform to the level of his contract

At this point Bell has to show up for the first regular season game since the Steelers could not renegotiate his 2017 contract even if they wanted to and now still needs to play for a payout in 2018 and beyond

And if the rumored offer by the Steelers is correct, the other players know the terms of their deals and presumably are not going to think the Steelers lowballed Bell because he could always be tagged for 2017

My guess is Bell is gone by 2019

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has much to be proud of"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Which IMO is in the overall best interests of the Steelers

As was posted above, the nightmare scenario for the Steelers if Bell had signed a long time deal is a significant injury (not unlikely given Bell's history) or the Woodley scenario (get the big contract and then slack off - again not an unlikely possibility given two suspensions) that has the Steelers carrying a big signing bonus as dead money for a player that does not perform to the level of his contract

At this point Bell has to show up for the first regular season game since the Steelers could not renegotiate his 2017 contract even if they wanted to and now still needs to play for a payout in 2018 and beyond

And if the rumored offer by the Steelers is correct, the other players know the terms of their deals and presumably are not going to think the Steelers lowballed Bell because he could always be tagged for 2017

My guess is Bell is gone by 2019
    After 2 more years of runnng his wheels off (which I hope they do), I'm not sure he'll have much value going into his 7th year in the league. Besides that, Ben is likely gone at that point. We don't need a $15M RB with a rebuild going at QB.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

If Bell was smart he would work for the extra $ with commercials and promos. My guess is he retires in 2 years and opens a weed shop in Denver to live out the rest of his days.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    After 2 more years of runnng his wheels off (which I hope they do), I'm not sure he'll have much value going into his 7th year in the league. Besides that, Ben is likely gone at that point. We don't need a $15M RB with a rebuild going at QB.
    At that point, I love the "Hershel Walker trade" idea someone posted previously. If only....

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold is a name known to all"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Imo, Bell and the Steelers will agree on a deal after the season, or he'll get tagged, and a deal will be made then.

Bell could get 3 years of guaranteed money(counting this years tag) in both scenarios.

Also, the Mike Wallace comparisons are wrong. MW's on the field production(drops), or skill set(horrible route runner, just a go route option) was never worth the contract he received. Bell on the field is worth $15mil or maybe even more.
    Godless, fearless of the flood.