Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Report: Steelers showing interest in trade for Rams CB Trumaine Johnson

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Report: Steelers showing interest in trade for Rams CB Trumaine Johnson

The Pittsburgh Steelers don’t often execute trades, but they do when they feel it is necessary. Like they did when trading for Brandon Boykin prior to the 2015 season, the Steelers are reportedly showing interest in possibly trading for Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson.

Per CBS Jason LaConfora:

"The Rams have been open to other trade options as well, though this deal of Gaines makes it even less likely they move top corner Trumaine Johnson, who is making $17 million this season after being franchised a second straight year," La Canfora wrote. "Sources said the Steelers have been among the teams sniffing around on a possible Johnson trade."

read more

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...tsburgh-rumors

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Report: Steelers showing interest in trade for Rams CB Trumaine Johnson

Don't believe this.

He's making $17mil on the franchise tag. They don't have that type of money.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

can not believe anything Lacanfora says ... 17 million and plays like a 12 million guy

BurghBoy412

I'd be all for it. Johnson would immediately be the best CB on the roster. Probability of this actually happening I'd say is less than 10%.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

After the last 2 years I am opposed to giving up more draft picks for another corner, particularly a guy they can't afford

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

If he's slated to make that much money, there's no way in hell that happens.

Maybe not for Trumaine Johnson but this is possible that the steelers trade for a CB before the season for the third years in a row....

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Maybe not for Trumaine Johnson but this is possible that the steelers trade for a CB before the season for the third years in a row....
    I could definitely see that happening. I really wonder how much faith they have in Cockrell. He can't cover elite level guys. Just ask AB

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    I could definitely see that happening. I really wonder how much faith they have in Cockrell. He can't cover elite level guys. Just ask AB
    Cockrell is grab happy like Ike.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Cockrell is grab happy like Ike.
    but without Ikes speed or tact at grabbing .... lack of elite speed makes cockrells mistakes magnified

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    but without Ikes speed or tact at grabbing .... lack of elite speed makes cockrells mistakes magnified

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Trade Bell to them and a 3rd for him and Gurley.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

In Oder for it to happen, you'd have to see some contract restructures occur to free up that space and then they would have to make a trade and sign Johnson to a long term deal. I'm not opposed to it at all and I'd definitely consider trading Bell and a third (most likely get that back via Timmons) for Johnson and Gurley. I'd try to get a 4 or 5 pick in return as well. I mean you are trading one of the best backs, by far, in the league and getting a back of a little lesser talent who may only be s one year wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Don't like the idea of paying Johnson $15mil+ per year.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

This sounds like Johnson's agent or the Rams floating a story because Johnson is no longer a good fit in LA

Steelers do not operate this way and have major costs coming up with new contracts for other defenders such as Tuitt (please get that negotiation done) and Shazier

Given their experience with Bell being tagged I assume they are not interested in bringing in a rent a player for 2017 that will require other contracts to be reworked to get under the cap

BurghBoy412

Johnson is an impressive player on paper. 6'2" 213lbs.
    The price tag is the obvious hurdle here. My question is how much would his presence ensure a super bowl victory? If signing him would ensure another Championship. Why not make it happen?http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/...umaine-johnson

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Johnson is an impressive player on paper. 6'2" 213lbs.
    The price tag is the obvious hurdle here. My question is how much would his presence ensure a super bowl victory? If signing him would ensure another Championship. Why not make it happen?http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/...umaine-johnson
    This is not the NBA where only 5 players are playing at any one time and Johnson is not Kevin Durant - one CB is not going to ensure anything

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    This is not the NBA where only 5 players are playing at any one time and Johnson is not Kevin Durant - one CB is not going to ensure anything
    Well it wouldn't be a good move then.

- - - Updated - - -

It's funny to me how badly Steeler fans want to win another title yet refuse to realize it can't always be done by being frugal and conservative. These players have a limited time to make as much money as they can. You can't always play it cheap and expect to win a Super Bowl every year. You have to negotiate the contract of Tuitt, Shazier, and Bell. I won't be surprised if one of those top tier players ends up on another team.

It's funny to me how badly Steeler fans want to win another title yet refuse to realize it can't always be done by being frugal and conservative. These players have a limited time to make as much money as they can. You can't always play it cheap and expect to win a Super Bowl every year. You have to negotiate the contract of Tuitt, Shazier, and Bell. I won't be surprised if one of those top tier players ends up on another team.
    The steelers won 2 super bowl, were in another super bowl and had a 15-1 season between 2004 to 2010 by being conservative.

I do not think the steelers will change this year.

- - - Updated - - -

It's funny to me how badly Steeler fans want to win another title yet refuse to realize it can't always be done by being frugal and conservative. These players have a limited time to make as much money as they can. You can't always play it cheap and expect to win a Super Bowl every year.
    Steelers have only won six - disgraceful result for a team that has managed for the long term since Noll arrived - fire Tomlin and make Art Rooney II sell now!

Leaving aside how the Steelers would fit almost $17 million under the cap for 2017, Johnson may not be the second coming of Mel Blount and Rod Woodson

The NFL franchise tag players have been determined for the 2017 season, and while only really two of the players tagged (RB Le’Veon Bell and DT Kawann Short) rank among the very best couple of players at their respective positions, there is one clear anomaly among the seven players that received the tag this year: CB Trumaine Johnson....

So just how far short of that elite level is Johnson? This past season, he ranked as the 26th-best CB by PFF grade, with a score of 81.0; a year ago, he was 25th (80.9). In abstract terms, 64 cornerbacks start in the NFL, with another 32 playing more often than they are on the bench given the propensity for nickel defense throughout the league, so ranking around the top 25 is far from a bad thing, but neither does it justify almost $17 million a season....

The Rams now run the risk of doubling down on what looks to be a mistake

https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...k-for-the-rams

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

- - - Updated - - -

And spending a bunch of resources to acquire another player because He's the "final piece of the puzzle" almost never works. Being reckless in order to avoid being conservative is not wise.

BurghBoy412

The steelers won 2 super bowl, were in another super bowl and had a 15-1 season between 2004 to 2010 by being conservative.

I do not think the steelers will change this year.
    I wouldn't expect them to change a thing. Their formula works great when it comes to staying competitive. I suppose I grow tired of all the "arm chair GM's" That shoot down a move as soon as it's proposed. Instantly stating " it won't happen. the money the money the money" blah blah blah. I don't even have to read the threads about possible transactions anymore. I know the road its going down as soon as I see it. So predictable. So Boring.

I wouldn't expect them to change a thing. Their formula works great when it comes to staying competitive. I suppose I grow tired of all the "arm chair GM's" That shoot down a move as soon as it's proposed. Instantly stating " it won't happen. the money the money the money" blah blah blah. I don't even have to read the threads about possible transactions anymore. I know the road its going down as soon as I see it. So predictable. So Boring.
    OK - since not being boring is your metric for a good post, on what are you basing your conclusion that the Steelers should consider blowing through the cap ceiling to pursue Johnson other than the fact he is not Ross Cockrell?

BurghBoy412

OK - since not being boring is your metric for a good post, on what are you basing your conclusion that the Steelers should consider blowing through the cap ceiling to pursue Johnson other than the fact he is not Ross Cockrell?
    Look guy I don't work for the Pittsburgh Steelers. I'm a Union Sheet Metal Worker living in Denver. I don't have spread sheets with player salaries and cap numbers available to me. All I'm saying is I'll let the people that get paid to work the numbers do their job. I refuse to be so realistic that it ruins the fun of being a football fan.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Johnson is a 27 year old CB whose current team questions whether or not he fits man coverage focused 3-4 schemes.

I really hope we get him.

I can't wait to give up a series of draft picks and players for a CB whose play consistently ranges between William Gay's worst day and Cockerell's best day.

Then the team would get to pay him top $$.

If we don't want boring transaction hypothetical threads - then lets make something realistic.

The real missed opportunity here was to trade a WR for Darby (CB from the Bills). Coates may have been enough to get it done. JOrdan Matthews has not really shown anything in the NFL as of yet.

Look guy I don't work for the Pittsburgh Steelers. I'm a Union Sheet Metal Worker living in Denver. I don't have spread sheets with player salaries and cap numbers available to me. All I'm saying is I'll let the people that get paid to work the numbers do their job. I refuse to be so realistic that it ruins the fun of being a football fan.
    If trashing other posters without explaining why you contend they are wrong works for you go for it - have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Johnson is a 27 year old CB whose current team questions whether or not he fits man coverage focused 3-4 schemes.

I can't wait to give up a series of draft picks and players for a CB whose play consistently ranges between William Gay's worst day and Cockerell's best day.

If we don't want boring transaction hypothetical threads - then lets make something realistic.

The real missed opportunity here was to trade a WR for Darby (CB from the Bills). Coates may have been enough to get it done. JOrdan Matthews has not really shown anything in the NFL as of yet.
    This is the only thing that makes sense in this thread.

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

I suppose that you've watched a lot of film on Johnson?

- - - Updated - - -

If trashing other posters without explaining why you contend they are wrong works for you go for it - have fun
    Pretty sure I stated exactly why I contend they are wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    This is the only thing that makes sense in this thread.
    Not really. Why would the Bills trade for a guy with a bum hand who cannot catch the ball. Sounds pretty realistic.

Not really. Why would the Bills trade for a guy with a bum hand who cannot catch the ball.
    Coates was very good in the first 5 week before his injuries.

BurghBoy412

Coates was very good in the first 5 week before his injuries.

5 weeks of good play is really a measure of consistency