Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Schefter: Steelers Not Close To Signing Bell Long-Term With Deadline Looming

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: Schefter: Steelers Not Close To Signing Bell Long-Term With Deadline Looming

Le’Veon Bell doesn’t report to Steelers camp

Posted by Josh Alper on July 27, 2017

Steelers players reported to training camp on Thursday, but running back Le’Veon Bell wasn’t among them.

That comes as no surprise as Bell has not signed his $12.1 million franchise tender and players in that position tend to stay away from the early part of camp at the very least. The deadline to sign a longer deal passed on July 17, leaving that deal on the table through the start of the season unless the Steelers offer him more money or a promise not to use the franchise tag to make reporting more worth Bell’s while.

Wide receiver Antonio Brown has been lobbying Bell to report to work recently and continued that effort on Thursday.

“When trying to do something special, we would like all our guys here,” Brown said, via ESPN.com.

to read rest of article:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...steelers-camp/

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Schefter: Steelers Not Close To Signing Bell Long-Term With Deadline Looming

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...false-steelers

Interesting take on the Bell contract #'s. I would argue that this guy has a point. A front-loaded deal is kinda weird...

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Interesting take on the Bell contract #'s. I would argue that this guy has a point. A front-loaded deal is kinda weird...
    While he is "tongue in cheek " quite a bit, he makes a number of good points, especially the part about......"who the hell is this guy, and how is he getting the non-verifiable scoop"?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

It is kind of weird that this was "leaked" and we never got any confirmation from anyone (but if the numbers were BS, wouldn't you have expected Bell's camp to point that out as well? I mean, they'd gain leverage from that, or dissipate the team's perceived leverage.)

On the other hand, why does this guy assume we'd structure it like the worst possible idiots? Not just a frontloaded deal, but a half-assed frontloaded deal where we cut cap space in year one just ... because? ... and then have it balloon out of control when we need the cap space more, then go back down when we don't?

Actually, we had what, $15 million in cap space after signing our draft picks and that includes Bell's franchise tender - so we would probably frontload it in the first year because that's when we had the money available. I know it's automatic to assume that we'll always structure contracts to be comically low in the first year and then become a crippling problem in later years because, hey, that's how it was always done (leading to the salary cap shitfuck a few years back), but there's a legitimate reason to do it the other way around for this one, unless we had our hearts set on carrying around $20 million in extra cap space for the hell of it.

The fact that Villanueva's deal was signed so quickly after the Bell situation played out - but not before then - tells me that Bell was the #1 priority and they were not going to do anything else that might limit their options until that was resolved. They were likely prepared to use nearly ALL of that cap space for Bell, which means they'd have to either be creative with a new (backloaded) contract for Villanueva or tell him to go pound salt until next year. Maybe this means we do get Tuitt's deal done this offseason after all; we only used up like a third of that cap space for the AV contract.

I'd like to also point out the almost eerie similarity between this and the Wallace/Brown situation. Obviously talented but very cash-vocal guy is in negotiations down to the wire, rejects a big offer ... hard-working and deserving guy with a less-urgent contract situation immediately gets his payday. What happened next, we all know.

I'm not saying Bell is going to go somewhere else and flame out, but the similarities about placing so much importance on getting ♫♫ PAAAAIIIIIIYED ♫♫ that you wear it on your sleeve as a badge of honor and a matter of principle are unmistakable, and really do not paint a picture in which I can imagine him here past next season.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I always thought the math on the leaked info was goofy/incomplete.

Year 1 being anything other than the entire signing bonus + a real low salary (exactly what they did with AB) never made sense to me.

The Steelers have learned their lesson(s) from having to restructure salaries because of prorated bonuses out over time. More and More you see them paying out ALL the bonus upfront and then making an escape hatch in the contract around year 2 or 3.

Next off-season is when we will know. Once Bell signs, either here or elswhere is when people will start leaking the #'s and telling the "real" story.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I always thought the math on the leaked info was goofy/incomplete.

Year 1 being anything other than the entire signing bonus + a real low salary (exactly what they did with AB) never made sense to me.

The Steelers have learned their lesson(s) from having to restructure salaries because of prorated bonuses out over time. More and More you see them paying out ALL the bonus upfront and then making an escape hatch in the contract around year 2 or 3.

Next off-season is when we will know. Once Bell signs, either here or elswhere is when people will start leaking the #'s and telling the "real" story.

I think in past years, we always did it that way (signing bonus, low upfront salary) because we had to. Great way of kicking the can down the road when you have no cap space, but boy do you eat shit when it all comes due. Fortunately, we ate shit at a time when all it cost us was Wallace, Sanders, and a bunch of draft busts who weren't worth it anyway.

But if you have the cap space, yeah, the other way of doing it is way smarter. Not just for cap reasons, but for no longer having the choice of having to carry dead-weight players or dead money long after they've stopped being useful to you. I would be surprised if we didn't do it this way with Bell.

I would expect that if we still have Ben on the roster for next year, and Bell isn't injured or suspended, we will just give him a second franchise tag to make one last push. After that, he probably isn't coming back anyway.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I think in past years, we always did it that way (signing bonus, low upfront salary) because we had to. Great way of kicking the can down the road when you have no cap space, but boy do you eat shit when it all comes due. Fortunately, we ate shit at a time when all it cost us was Wallace, Sanders, and a bunch of draft busts who weren't worth it anyway.

But if you have the cap space, yeah, the other way of doing it is way smarter. Not just for cap reasons, but for no longer having the choice of having to carry dead-weight players or dead money long after they've stopped being useful to you. I would be surprised if we didn't do it this way with Bell.

I would expect that if we still have Ben on the roster for next year, and Bell isn't injured or suspended, we will just give him a second franchise tag to make one last push. After that, he probably isn't coming back anyway.
    They are going to potentially have to get "cute" again with a few contracts. IF all of these high round draft picks start panning out on defense, you are going to have to find a way to carry all these guys on the books:

Davis
    Burns
    Dupree
    Shazier
    Heyward
    Tuitt
    Watt
    Hargrave

I'm guessing it can be done by staggering some of the payouts and extensions, etc. But it is going to get tricky. Especially if they try to keep AB, Bryant, and Bell...

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

They are going to potentially have to get "cute" again with a few contracts. IF all of these high round draft picks start panning out on defense, you are going to have to find a way to carry all these guys on the books:

Davis
    Burns
    Dupree
    Shazier
    Heyward
    Tuitt
    Watt
    Hargrave

I'm guessing it can be done by staggering some of the payouts and extensions, etc. But it is going to get tricky. Especially if they try to keep AB, Bryant, and Bell...
    Might have $12 million per year free up in 2018 and 2019 if Roethlisberger does not play out the remainder of his contract

Due base salaries of $12 million each season and including his prorated bonus amount of $6.2 million, Roethlisberger is set to cost Pittsburgh $18.2 million against the cap in 2017. He will account for $23.2 million in both 2018 and 2019 thanks to an additional roster bonus of $5 million owed each year.

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/201...er-retirement/
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburg...isberger-3595/

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Might have $12 million per year free up in 2018 and 2019 if Roethlisberger does not play out the remainder of his contract

Due base salaries of $12 million each season and including his prorated bonus amount of $6.2 million, Roethlisberger is set to cost Pittsburgh $18.2 million against the cap in 2017. He will account for $23.2 million in both 2018 and 2019 thanks to an additional roster bonus of $5 million owed each year.

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/201...er-retirement/
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburg...isberger-3595/
    FREE JOSH DOBBS!

Davis
    Burns
    Dupree
    Shazier
    Heyward
    Tuitt
    Watt
    Hargrave

AB and Heyward shouldn't be a problem, I wouldn't think, since they're both on long-term deals and anything more would be a downside deal ... out of the others, I'd guess basically pick one who we can get for $5-6M, one who will replace Pouncey's contract because I don't think he's going to be around forever, and one or two more out of the rest. We will probably have to find another LB and/or DL prospect in the draft soon, because if Burns or Davis is really any good, I don't think he'll be one we let go of.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Falcons sign Freeman to a 5-year $41.25M deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Falcons sign Freeman to a 5-year $41.25M deal.
    The deal has a $15 million signing bonus and includes $22 million in guaranteed money. Because NFL contracts are not fully guaranteed, Freeman’s deal is essentially a three-year extension with $26 million in the first three years.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/football/f...di2m1dsD1Qq7I/

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

If Bell accepted his contract, he would still be making $4mil more than Freeman, whom just became the highest paid RB.

Bell is an idiot for passing that contract up.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    If Bell accepted his contract, he would still be making $4mil more than Freeman, whom just became the highest paid RB.

Bell is an idiot for passing that contract up.
    Since agents like to get paid either Bell's agent also is a moron or cannot get through to his client

My guess is this is on Bell, given his history of suspensions and puzzling refusal to sign the one year tag deal

Once he does, that money becomes fully guaranteed. Until then, Bell, who has posted on his social media outlets that he is training in Florida, would get nothing if he were injured.
    It’s a risky stance to take on the part of Bell.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/201...r_without_bell

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Since agents like to get paid either Bell's agent also is a moron or cannot get through to his client

My guess is this is on Bell, given his history of suspensions and puzzling refusal to sign the one year tag deal

Once he does, that money becomes fully guaranteed. Until then, Bell, who has posted on his social media outlets that he is training in Florida, would get nothing if he were injured.
    It’s a risky stance to take on the part of Bell.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/201...r_without_bell
    It wouldn't surprise me if a guy like that got hurt doing his own workouts, thus causing the Steelers to rescind their tag.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

If Conner and Watson can combine to be a great tandem of brute and finesse, it becomes less important.

Apparently Colbert has decided this has gone on long enough

“My feeling is there’s nothing to be gained by a holdout,” Colbert told the Post-Gazette at the team’s training camp at Saint Vincent College. “The situation won’t change, it can’t really change from our part on a long-term deal.

“So it hurts him not to be here. It hurts him because he’s not working with his teammates, he’s not getting the conditioning work that he’s going to need to have a great 2017 season. And he’s not working with his teammates to get acclimated to the offense — every year it’s different.”

“Really, a holdout does not benefit him in any way,” Colbert said. “So, again, I hope that he sees the benefits of being here and comes in here sooner than later.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201708090130

BurghBoy412

Why would Colbert expect this guy for more than 12 games of work? If Bell gets his contract I wonder if his play will fall off a cliff? I suspect it will.

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    If Bell gets his contract I wonder if his play will fall off a cliff? I suspect it will.
    After the Steelers saw Woodley quit during his contract and Troy decline drastically during his last contract as his injury history took him down IMO the Steelers share some of those concerns

BurghBoy412

After the Steelers saw Woodley quit during his contract and Troy decline drastically during his last contract as his injury history took him down IMO the Steelers share some of those concerns
    If I was in their shoes I would be wary. IMO Bell will get paid I don't doubt that. I doubt it's in Pittsburgh.

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

I feel absolutely zero sympathy for Bell. The Steelers offered to make him the highest paid RB in the league. The more he holds out, the greedier he looks.

“Really, a holdout does not benefit him in any way,” Colbert said. “So, again, I hope that he sees the benefits of being here and comes in here sooner than later.”
    No shit. By rule, we can't offer him a multi-year deal until the offseason. He's accomplishing the same as he would by yelling at the air. Every day this goes on just deprives the offense of practice time together, and makes him look like more of a dick.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

It seems to me Tomlin and the FO have learned from their mistakes and are making much better decisions on contracts in general.

For example, I think the 2nd contracts for Villaneuva and Browns are examples of getting great value by negotiating at the beginning of a strong upward trajectory.

I was ecstatic when they locked up Brown and let OTP walk.

"With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Don't want him long term anyway. Replaceable.

And yes, he is the best back in the league. On this offense, he is a nice to have, not a need.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
    Don't want him long term anyway. Replaceable.

And yes, he is the best back in the league. On this offense, he is a nice to have, not a need.
    Two more years of pounding and he may no be the GORN.

Bell is not replaceable. Can this offense succeed at a high level without him? Sure. Replaceable? Not even a conversation without a trade for David Johnson or Joe woman puncher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

David Johnson is the only player that could "replace" Bell. No one else could. However, if Bell doesn't show up until mid season and Conner shows some promise and stays healthy, I'd sit Bell in the bench, wait until he becomes a locker room cancer then suspend him for conduct detrimental to the team and then do the whole thing over again next year.

David Johnson is the only player that could "replace" Bell. No one else could. However, if Bell doesn't show up until mid season and Conner shows some promise and stays healthy, I'd sit Bell in the bench, wait until he becomes a locker room cancer then suspend him for conduct detrimental to the team and then do the whole thing over again next year.
    If he didn't show up till mid season, I'd pull the tag.

Schefter: Steelers Not Close To Signing Bell Long-Term With Deadline Looming

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    If he didn't show up till mid season, I'd pull the tag.
    I wouldn't. That would probably be what he wanted you to do. I'd make him suffer. Who would sign a back that's two years older hasn't played in two years and was somewhat injury prone when he did play to an $8M/year deal?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I wouldn't. That would probably be what he wanted you to do. I'd make him suffer. Who would sign a back that's two years older hasn't played in two years and was somewhat injury prone when he did play to an $8M/year deal?
    ...and if he doesn't play, I think the team might still be able to franchise him for two more years if they choose to.

I'm not really sure about that, but I think I heard that somewhere.