Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Schefter: Steelers Not Close To Signing Bell Long-Term With Deadline Looming

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Schefter: Steelers Not Close To Signing Bell Long-Term With Deadline Looming

This team gets no closer to a SB without Bell, that's a fact.

They'll have contract talks again after the season. Playing the year on the FT could be smart for both parties, especially for the Steelers.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Re: Schefter: Steelers Not Close To Signing Bell Long-Term With Deadline Looming

Bell would need to be high not to sign. I think they are holding him accountable to availability.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    This team gets no closer to a SB without Bell, that's a fact.
    Gronk has every bit as much impact as Bell and the Patriots won without him. He's not indispensable. Valuable but not indispensable.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Bell speaks

"It's a little frustrating, but it's a business," said Bell, who declined to comment on the particulars of the Steelers' offer or his own projection of his worth. "I'm not in a rush to sign for something I'm not valued at, if I feel I'm worth more than what they are offering me." ...

"The running back market definitely took a hit, and I can't be the guy who continues to let it take a hit," Bell said. "We do everything. We block, we run, we catch the ball. Our value isn't where it needs to be. I'm taking it upon myself to open up some eyes and show the position is more valuable." ...

"I definitely don't want to play for anybody else," Bell said of the Steelers. "You never know what will happen. Today was a big eye opener. I'm going to definitely enjoy my best year with the Steelers and be happy with it." ...

"I guess when it comes to camp and doing extra things when I'm training, I can't be as aggressive as I normally would be because there's no longevity," Bell said. "But I'm still going to be out there and be Le'Veon Bell. ... The way I train, all it's going to take for me is a few practices and some game action. I haven't thought about it that far. I'm game-planning today. I was thinking the deal would be done. I'm going to take it day-to-day and see what happens."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ke-121-million

In other words Bell shows up no earlier than late August

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Gronk has every bit as much impact as Bell and the Patriots won without him. He's not indispensable. Valuable but not indispensable.

That's the reason I mentioned drafting Saquon Barkley earlier. He is the running back I am most excited about since Bell came out of school. He's that good.

He also catches the ball well with great size, speed, and moves. He is very similar to Bell in his abilities, but with breakaway speed.

Imagine drafting Barkley, and he becomes an impact player immediately. He will also be playing for far less money than Bell, and the team will have the opportunity to use that savings towards other areas of the team.

I love Bell. I wanted them to draft him. I said he would be the best RB in the NFL. He's a beast, and probably the best player on the team. I hope he stays with the team for a long time, but only at a reasonable price.

It would be difficult to replace his abilities, but outside of a franchise quarterback....there is nobody irreplaceable if the money demands become too much.

BurghBoy412

12 games a season doesn't earn you the top contract at your position. When a team commits a shit load of money they expect 16 games out of that player.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Glad he didn't get more than the franchise tender. He may be a special player, but he's been injured and suspended too often for that kind of money. Let him prove he deserves a long term contract here

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Glad he didn't get more than the franchise tender. He may be a special player, but he's been injured and suspended too often for that kind of money. Let him prove he deserves a long term contract here
    Its really the best move the front office could make. Forcing Bell to prove his worth.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

They have the GOAT.

Also, they had Martellus Bennett replacing him, a very good TE.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Bell speaks

"It's a little frustrating, but it's a business," said Bell, who declined to comment on the particulars of the Steelers' offer or his own projection of his worth. "I'm not in a rush to sign for something I'm not valued at, if I feel I'm worth more than what they are offering me." ...

"The running back market definitely took a hit, and I can't be the guy who continues to let it take a hit," Bell said. "We do everything. We block, we run, we catch the ball. Our value isn't where it needs to be. I'm taking it upon myself to open up some eyes and show the position is more valuable." ...

"I definitely don't want to play for anybody else," Bell said of the Steelers. "You never know what will happen. Today was a big eye opener. I'm going to definitely enjoy my best year with the Steelers and be happy with it." ...

"I guess when it comes to camp and doing extra things when I'm training, I can't be as aggressive as I normally would be because there's no longevity," Bell said. "But I'm still going to be out there and be Le'Veon Bell. ... The way I train, all it's going to take for me is a few practices and some game action. I haven't thought about it that far. I'm game-planning today. I was thinking the deal would be done. I'm going to take it day-to-day and see what happens."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ke-121-million

In other words Bell shows up no earlier than late August

from what I get from the reports of what he was offered , the way he talks here ...12 million a year just isnt gonna get it done ( that's 2 mill more than I would want to pay if it where my team ) sounds to me like he believes he is a 15 million dollar man ....#nothanks

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    from what I get from the reports of what he was offered , the way he talks here ...12 million a year just isnt gonna get it done ( that's 2 mill more than I would want to pay if it where my team ) sounds to me like he believes he is a 15 million dollar man ....#nothanks
    But this of course is not just for himself - it is for all running backs

The running back market definitely took a hit, and I can't be the guy who continues to let it take a hit

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    He wants more guaranteed money and more money up front than the Steelers have offered.
    100% he does.

--two knee injuries
    --a torn groin
    --the life-expectancy of a RB is 2.5 years
    --Bell is on his way to doubling that life-expectancy

One bad step, one late hit, one slip on a patch of ice... and his career could be over.

SUMMATION:
    Bell cares little about the $60 million that he "could" get (because, he most likely won't get all of it); he wants as much money as possible up front (for all of the aforementioned reasons).

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

what Bell just may end up realizing is ...

He should have taken the money !

he most likely will not get another offer as good next year in a city that has a lot less success ..

that is providing he stays clean and does not suffer yet another injury between now and then

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    what Bell just may end up realizing is ...

He should have taken the money !

he most likely will not get another offer as good next year in a city that has a lot less success ..

that is providing he stays clean and does not suffer yet another injury between now and then
    Not only that... but, the Steelers can franchise tag him again (for cheaper than the contract that they offered).

"Run the the wheels off of him" for two years / $24 million... and then let him walk.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Not only that... but, the Steelers can franchise tag him again (for cheaper than the contract that they offered).

"Run the the wheels off of him" for two years / $24 million... and then let him walk.
    Yep - it's a business

true ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Bell is "worth" 12-15 per year. But that's QB and WR money. Never gonna hit that as a back because their careers are too fragile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Agree. But I think the total number would be $26M, as it bumps to $14M next year.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    They have the GOAT.

On a serious note, I find the "GOAT" BS as tiresome as I find the "elite" QB/WR/RB/CB/LT/DT/DE/OLB/ILB/SS/FS BS.

Agree. But I think the total number would be $26M, as it bumps to $14M next year.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

On a serious note, I find the "GOAT" BS as tiresome as I find the "elite" QB/WR/RB/CB/LT/DT/DE/OLB/ILB/SS/FS BS.
    Oh I do also, I've only used the "GOAT" phrase for one person(Michael Jordan for basketball) until this past season. I have a strong dislike for the Pats(All Boston Fans can go **** themselves), but I can't deny Brady's greatness anymore.

Now I'm hoping the Steelers end the Pats this upcoming season.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

GOAT = Ali.

But Jordan and Brady get to be in the conversation as well!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    But this of course is not just for himself - it is for all running backs
    If I were Le'Veon, I wouldn't even worry about other player's salaries at that position. Let them deal with it.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

100% he does.

--two knee injuries
    --a torn groin
    --the life-expectancy of a RB is 2.5 years
    --Bell is on his way to doubling that life-expectancy

One bad step, one late hit, one slip on a patch of ice... and his career could be over.

SUMMATION:
    Bell cares little about the $60 million that he "could" get (because, he most likely won't get all of it); he wants as much money as possible up front (for all of the aforementioned reasons).
    On one hand, as a supporter of the players, the reasons you posted are the very reasons I want Bell to get is total worth. Not just the market value. But, those are also the reasons I CANNOT see signing him to a big guaranteed money contract. Sure, the rest of the players run the same risks, ask Golson, but Bell holds both the most valuable player, and the most injury risk all in one. He should be paid as this team's #1 weapon. I don't believe he should get paid up front though. Without using actual numbers, I would love to see; a) A large signing bonus, b) The largest contract for a RB, c) The lion's share of his contract is paid over years and incentives. This way he's locked in with us, gets a huge payday up front, yet most of his money he still has to put in a lot of effort and work for. AND, I believe that's probably the same thing most on here are thinking also.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    If I were Le'Veon, I wouldn't even worry about other player's salaries at that position. Let them deal with it.
    I highly doubt Bell gives a rip about other running backs except to the extent their salaries are a benchmark for what he should be paid. Saying it is about the market for running backs allows him to try for some PR points by claiming this is not just about him seeking to max out his salary.

There is nothing wrong with self-interest when it comes to getting paid in pro sports anymore than any other occupation, but Bell knows many fans get tied up in knots about professional athletes seeking to cash in when those same fans would do the same if they had the opportunity to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    On one hand, as a supporter of the players, the reasons you posted are the very reasons I want Bell to get is total worth. Not just the market value. But, those are also the reasons I CANNOT see signing him to a big guaranteed money contract. Sure, the rest of the players run the same risks, ask Golson, but Bell holds both the most valuable player, and the most injury risk all in one. He should be paid as this team's #1 weapon. I don't believe he should get paid up front though. Without using actual numbers, I would love to see; a) A large signing bonus, b) The largest contract for a RB, c) The lion's share of his contract is paid over years and incentives. This way he's locked in with us, gets a huge payday up front, yet most of his money he still has to put in a lot of effort and work for. AND, I believe that's probably the same thing most on here are thinking also.
    Sounds great but he's wheels are likely gonna be off in 2-3 years. RB is not like WR or OL in terms of longevity. RBs have been devalued for a reason.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Sounds great but he's wheels are likely gonna be off in 2-3 years. RB is not like WR or OL in terms of longevity. RBs have been devalued for a reason.
    That is the risk exactly. And why I don't like the bulk of the money up front. To get the most out of his contract, he not only needs to be one of the best at his position, but also the most durable. Goes hand in hand. I see it as getting other-worldly money, with real-world demands and incentives.

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

The deal i just heard that they offered him was pretty high and he probably should have took it. 14 million for 3 years! Don't know about guaranteed money they offered but he wont get anywhere near 14 million on the open market if we let him go after this year. Just heard this on NFL radio

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMayhem72 View Post
    The deal i just heard that they offered him was pretty high and he probably should have took it. 14 million for 3 years! Don't know about guaranteed money they offered but he wont get anywhere near 14 million on the open market if we let him go after this year. Just heard this on NFL radio

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Was it $14M over 3 years, or $14M per year for 3 years? Less than $5M per year is crazy low, and $14M per year is too high, IMO.

Relatively upbeat assessment on the consequences of Bell not signing in the Washington Post

Bell is one of the few running backs who remains a difference maker. The Steelers seem to know that, and they appear intent upon trying to get a deal done with him. They struck a deal with wide receiver Antonio Brown earlier this offseason. That deal took longer to come together than Brown wanted, but the Steelers got it done.

They probably will do the same with Bell. It won’t be precisely on the timetable that Bell wants, and it won’t be for precisely the terms he’s seeking. But the Steelers are all about stability. They want to keep Bell and Brown together with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and take a few more shots at unseating the New England Patriots for AFC supremacy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.32e797320479

Of course anything looks better than how Washington has botched Kirk Cousins getting franchise tag $$ two years in a row

Some offseason, Washington Redskins. It began with a team official anonymously detailing Scot McCloughan’s alcohol abuse to justify firing the popular general manager. And it ended Monday afternoon with Bruce Allen, the team president and director of deception, breaking policy and common NFL courtesy, releasing the details of a failed contract negotiation with quarterback Kirk Cousins and demolishing a relationship’s trust just to combat a little criticism.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.d5a249719fd2

When you look at front office/ownership situations for teams like Cleveland and Washington you are reminded how fortunate Steelers fans are