Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Offseason Questions: What 90s Steelers Defender Would You Plug Into Today’s Defense?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: Offseason Questions: What 90s Steelers Defender Would You Plug Into Today’s Defense?

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    The original question was which player from the 1990's Steelers defense would you plug in.

Mel Blount would be awesome, but doesn't qualify.

that being said , not sure how well he would handle todays game , I mean his play style makes Richard Shermans hands on approach look like a timid choir boy .... Blount flat out abused guys , he didn't just grab the jersey he would body slam you , head smack you and make your momma cry

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Offseason Questions: What 90s Steelers Defender Would You Plug Into Today’s Defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    He is arguably the greatest center of all-time and he was very durable. He's 4th on my list. He would be a huge upgrade over Pouncey.
    Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    defense
    ^^^
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    that being said , not sure how well he would handle todays game , I mean his play style makes Richard Shermans hands on approach look like a timid choir boy .... Blount flat out abused guys , he didn't just grab the jersey he would body slam you , head smack you and make your momma cry

I was just reminding him of the original subject of the post. That doesn't mean I would choose Blount if he was part of the discussion.

The discussion about Blount would be fascinating.

Could he play today's game as a shut down corner with today's rules? I don't know, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Could he be a dominant physical force and perhaps be a great safety? I think so.

I think Blount was so physically gifted, that he would be able to adjust and still be able to be a great player in today's game at corner or safety.

Woodson would still be my choice because he does translate to the modern game very well. An elite athlete with elite speed and cover skills. He became the physical standard of the modern cornerback from a size, speed, athleticism standpoint. A truly dominant, great player.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I'd take Woodson all day at CB or S.

But since it was brought up, I think the player from the 70s that could translate best to today's game is Stallworth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    He is arguably the greatest center of all-time and he was very durable. He's 4th on my list. He would be a huge upgrade over Pouncey.
    As much as would agree with you about adding Dawson and moving Pouncey to LG, because it would make this one of the all-time most talented O-lines in history...

...as steelreserve was trying to point out, the question is about defense (and, Dawson played offense). Make sense?