Thread: You are the weakest link:DEFENSE

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

You are the weakest link:DEFENSE

Who is the weak spot of our projected defensive starters? A recent article put Dupree as our weakest starter on defense. I disagree with that opinion but some of you may agree. VW taking over for Timmons leaves some nervous about our starting ILBs. Can Burns and/or Cockrell play with more consistency? What about the weekly scapegoat Mitchell? Gay is still projected to start at the slot CB position.

Thoughts....

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: You are the weakest link:DEFENSE

Dime back. Every time Golden or Dangerfield were forced into heavy coverage responsibilities, the defense got burned.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Starter: Mitchell, inconsistent, better suited as strong safety. Burned too often. Including backups it's Dangerfield and Golden. Those two get burned everytime they are on the field

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I'll agree that safety is currently our weakest position group, but is Mitchel or Davis the weakest starter? In sub packages, I can completely understand Golden being considered the weakest on the field. But what about Burns? He was highly inconsistent at best. He did show some flashes and played well at stretches, but he made some costly mistakes as well. Looking at Dupree's pass rush. Has he achieved 10 sacks for his career yet? 2 seasons under his belt. These are young players, and improving hopefully, but are they currently stronger starters than MM? I don't think it's just that easy.

BurghBoy412

I vote Cockrell.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Hard to tell, we have so many new faces at DB that hopefully one of them can step into that void.

I'd say ILB, simply because we have almost zero depth and constant injuries there. The starters are good, but if Shazier isn't out for at least four games with a nagging injury and semi-effective for another couple, then I don't know this team.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Hard to tell, we have so many new faces at DB that hopefully one of them can step into that void.

I'd say ILB, simply because we have almost zero depth and constant injuries there. The starters are good, but if Shazier isn't out for at least four games with a nagging injury and semi-effective for another couple, then I don't know this team.
    So Shazier is the weakest link as a starter then, from the viewpoint of, not if, but when, he misses playing time? I can see that line of logic as well. He did stay pretty healthy last season though. Hopefully he can make that 2 seasons in a row.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Mike Mitchell come on down .... but your going to have to race Willie Gay to get the award ...since Mitchell is faster as long as he doesn't stop to thump his chest he should win this one

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    I vote Cockrell.
    coming off a season where he allowed 2 TD's all year including the playoffs?

Mitchell gets exposed without a dominating front 7
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Probably Dupree.
    Hater = Realist

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Low sack production.
    All Defense!

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    coming off a season where he allowed 2 TD's all year including the playoffs?

Mitchell gets exposed without a dominating front 7
    That is a good stat no argument. But zero INT's on the year is not a good stat. I can't find it but I remember him getting beat on a lot of 3rd down conversions as well.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Vince Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

This play pretty much illustrates how I feel about Mike "Out of Posizzle" Mitchell:

Sure, Burns was also burned, but he's a rookie earning 1/20th of what Mitchell is making, who should be more than capable of tackling twinkle toes Wallace. Under Mitchell's current contract, he'll keep his position of team boat anchor for years to come.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Peon View Post
    This play pretty much illustrates how I feel about Mike "Out of Posizzle" Mitchell:

Sure, Burns was also burned, but he's a rookie earning 1/20th of what Mitchell is making, who should be more than capable of tackling twinkle toes Wallace. Under Mitchell's current contract, he'll keep his position of team boat anchor for years to come.
    At least Mitchell has been durable.

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    At least Mitchell has been durable.
    I could make a wise-crack about how not tackling people helps you avoid injuries, but that wouldn't be fair considering he frequently plays injured. https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...njuries-speaks I also seem to remember that Tomlin almost benched him once, but I can't find any articles about that, so that'll just be another Mandela Effect moment for me. The point is though, you are correct, he never misses games.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Vince Williams.
    I know you been very out spoken do not like. Vince will prove you wrong and others see this besides me!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    I know you been very out spoken do not like. Vince will prove you wrong and others see this besides me!
    I hope so. It would make me very happy...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    So Shazier is the weakest link as a starter then, from the viewpoint of, not if, but when, he misses playing time? I can see that line of logic as well. He did stay pretty healthy last season though. Hopefully he can make that 2 seasons in a row.
    Yeah, not just him, but I really can't remember a season in which one or both of our inside LBs hasn't been beaten up for a good stretch of the year. It just seems like it comes with the territory. Usually we have a third guy who is at least decent and can step in when needed. This year we don't. Unless maybe Moats can fill that role? I know he's played both inside and outside in the past.

DB is probably the "weaker" position in theory, but it's really hard to say how that will turn out. So many variables, lots of potential but not yet realized. So I guess I'm crossing my fingers that it will break our way. Really only one and a half guys out of about four need to do that for it to be a positive.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Yeah, not just him, but I really can't remember a season in which one or both of our inside LBs hasn't been beaten up for a good stretch of the year. It just seems like it comes with the territory. Usually we have a third guy who is at least decent and can step in when needed. This year we don't. Unless maybe Moats can fill that role? I know he's played both inside and outside in the past.

DB is probably the "weaker" position in theory, but it's really hard to say how that will turn out. So many variables, lots of potential but not yet realized. So I guess I'm crossing my fingers that it will break our way. Really only one and a half guys out of about four need to do that for it to be a positive.
    There really are many question marks on this defense. Maybe not so much with the starters, but depth is unknown and a bit scary. Hopefully our offense can put it in a higher gear now and make opponents more one dimensional to keep pace. That is my hope. That will help our defense better hide it's weaknesses. Plus, allow for younger guys to get quality snaps and acclimate to the NFL. I'm really excited to add in Watt and Sutton as well.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

One thing that clip shows is that ArtiebBurns is fast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Dime back. Every time Golden or Dangerfield were forced into heavy coverage responsibilities, the defense got burned.
    Say no more! But the coaches playing this soft zone stuff vs the better QB is formula for losing. Attack or you die via 1,000 paper cuts. By playing tighter, you might force a mistake.