Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You are the weakest link: OFFENSE

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

You are the weakest link: OFFENSE

Who is this offense's weakest projected starter? As a group TEs are probably our weakest position, but is Jesse James our weakest offensive starter? Maybe it's someone from our starting Oline? Slot receiver is a good discussion, some have Rogers, others would start JuJu. If your weakest starter is Bell, I would love to read that explanation.

Thoughts......

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: You are the weakest link: OFFENSE

No doubt, this is the TE position.

As long as James or others will not have 10 yards per catch or more, it will be a weakness.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Easily it's James by a mile. He just isn't productive. He's better served as a no. 2 TE. Every other offensive position is strong

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I see James as a weak link too. Is he a weaker starter though than Rogers/JuJu in the slot? I think our slot guys get help from AB, and will get more from Bryant, being on the field. Has James improved as a blocker and/or pass catcher? As a starter, i would rather lose one of Rogers/JuJu than James. That may speak more to the position group as a whole, rather than the one player though.

BurghBoy412

Ben. He must play better on the road

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

TE and it's not even close. Every other position has one or more All-Pro level players. I worry a bit about backup RB, but we're not talking about backups unless the starter gets hurt.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    Ben. He must play better on the road
    I wondered if I would see Ben's name in this thread. With weapons like the Steelers have right now, it could very well come down to QB play and Ben's decision making. However, I see Ben as the catalyst for the entire team's performance. Therefore, he has to be our strongest link. And I think he has been that over his career. I can't see why that won't continue this season.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    TE and it's not even close. Every other position has one or more All-Pro level players. I worry a bit about backup RB, but we're not talking about backups unless the starter gets hurt.
    When has the starting RB not missed playing time? Maybe not a weak link from the standpoint of ability, but what about availability? Could also look at it the same way and say Bryant is a weak link? The TE position as a group is definitely weakest. What if...news out of TC, James and Rogers lost for the season. Which loss means more?

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I wondered if I would see Ben's name in this thread. With weapons like the Steelers have right now, it could very well come down to QB play and Ben's decision making. However, I see Ben as the catalyst for the entire team's performance. Therefore, he has to be our strongest link. And I think he has been that over his career. I can't see why that won't continue this season.
    I wanted to go with something different. I didn't want to bash a young unproven TE group. I'd have to say they're unproven not a weak link. I could say 12 game LeVeon. This guy has a knack for disappearing at the wrong time. But then you also have to wonder where the team would be without him all together. So I suppose I'd rather have him for 12 games a year and a game and a half in the playoffs than not have him at all.

Surprised that no one has said Todd Haley right now!

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Fire Tomlin!

I wanted to go with something different. I didn't want to bash a young unproven TE group. I'd have to say they're unproven not a weak link. I could say 12 game LeVeon. This guy has a knack for disappearing at the wrong time. But then you also have to wonder where the team would be without him all together. So I suppose I'd rather have him for 12 games a year and a game and a half in the playoffs than not have him at all.
    Agreed. Without Bell probably no playoffs, without James, I don't see how our playoff chances change much. But hoping James makes a much bigger impact this season.

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Agreed. Without Bell probably no playoffs, without James, I don't see how our playoff chances change much. But hoping James makes a much bigger impact this season.
    James is just 23 and entering his 3rd season. I'm really excited to continue watching his progression. I believe he has all the pieces to make a few pro bowls before he's done.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Its the Outlaw Jesse James so I will agree with the majority here , that being said when a player as good as James is ( not that he is great but he is a decent player ) is considered the weakest link its a good problem to have

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

James.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Jesse James yards per catch is horrid, much of it being a result of him taking so long to secure the ball and move upfield after catching it. His 3rd down catch rate is shit (4 for 12 targets), and half of those receptions on 3rd down didnt even move the chains. And he had something like 2 explosive plays in around 1000 snaps? Gotta look for the steelers depot article on that one. i think he'll be able to fix his problems to a degree but i think any breakout season will be more a result of him being a tertiary level weapon among our arsenal if anything.

Never did understand the disproportionate disappointment with Rogers on this board and the optimism with James. Rogers put up bigger numbers than Antonio Brown and Manny Sanders COMBINED across the board as a rookie. But somehow steeler fans were excited about those 2 and not Rogers.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

I have much more confidence in Rogers than in James.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

NFL marijuana rules.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    NFL marijuana rules.

Really though, that is indeed the biggest hurdle for this offense.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

WR. There's no proven/dependable depth beyond AB. He goes down and the team is crippled. Jesse James hasn't been the weakest link...he gets shit on because he's an easy target but his play hasn't been the weakest link in the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    WR. There's no proven/dependable depth beyond AB. He goes down and the team is crippled. Jesse James hasn't been the weakest link...he gets shit on because he's an easy target but his play hasn't been the weakest link in the offense.
    I like James, but out of all the starters on offense I would say he is the weakest.
    Hater = Realist

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

There will come a day when it will be shocking that players where suspended for marijuana use. I wonder how many careers will needlessly be affected by this archaic rule.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Camp can't get here soon enough. Just because you can start a thread............

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Road Ben

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    No Sproles/Spindenfall or Joe Thomas. The whole offense sux!!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Away games?

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

I was trying really hard to not sound like a broken record, but I can't help it, so whoever's occupied the #2 WR position since Hines Ward retired has been our weakest link, consistently.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

That would make Leveon/Martavis the weakest links. Those boneheads can't even stay on the field because they come up dirty on a drug test they know is coming.

There will come a day when it will be shocking that players where suspended for marijuana use. I wonder how many careers will needlessly be affected by this archaic rule.
    Not enough. I hope the rule stays. After all, marijuana is still illegal at the federal level, which trump all state level laws. Of course, using archaic is pretty strange seeing as almost half the states still have laws against all marijuana use and only eight states have legalized it across the board.

Perhaps, you meant something more along the lines of "This passe rule." I'd still argue it, but . . .

And, getting this post back on track . . . until Bell and Bryant can stay sober, I'm in complete agreement they're the weakest links. Sure, they're great on the field. But they can't contribute when they're sitting at home.

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Not enough. I hope the rule stays. After all, marijuana is still illegal at the federal level, which trump all state level laws. Of course, using archaic is pretty strange seeing as almost half the states still have laws against all marijuana use and only eight states have legalized it across the board.

Perhaps, you meant something more along the lines of "This passe rule." I'd still argue it, but . . .

And, getting this post back on track . . . until Bell and Bryant can stay sober, I'm in complete agreement they're the weakest links. Sure, they're great on the field. But they can't contribute when they're sitting at home.
    I suppose by stating " not enough". You're implying the hopes for more punishment against users of marijuana? Why would you hope for people to be punished for using a substance that has been scientifically proven safer than alcohol?

Archaic- adj. Very old or old fashioned. Synonym : Obsolete
    I said archaic because the rule/law is archaic.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Peon View Post
    I was trying really hard to not sound like a broken record, but I can't help it, so whoever's occupied the #2 WR position since Hines Ward retired has been our weakest link, consistently.
    Not when Bryant is on the field.

The loss of Heath Miller still looms....James is our weakest starter.