Thread: Steelers Must Show They’ve Learned From Last Franchise QB Search

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers Must Show They’ve Learned From Last Franchise QB Search

There comes a time in every football organization’s life—several times, if they’re lucky—during which they find that they have to move on from a franchise quarterback. The Pittsburgh Steelers understand that they are on the precipice of embarking upon that journey for a second time, whenever current quarterback Ben Roethlisberger chooses to call it a career.

It is not altogether clear, to the team, to the fans, or to Roethlisberger himself, when that might be. He may have three years remaining on his contract, but at 36 years old and three children at home, he is taking his future in the game on a yearly basis, not wanting to commit beyond the current season.

But given the team’s history in the somewhat dark years between the retirement of Terry Bradshaw—their first franchise quarterback—and the drafting of Roethlisberger—their second—it raises some questions about what the team as a whole has learned not only about the importance of the quarterback position, but also of the process of finding one.

Of course, there is virtually no continuity between then and now. Not even Dan Rooney remains to bridge the gap. Even Roethlisberger was not drafted by the Steelers’ current head coach, Mike Tomlin, although general manager Kevin Colbert was there, and remains in place today.

It was a different era of the game then, naturally, speaking of the early- to mid-eighties when they first had to move on from Bradshaw, compared to 2004, when the dramatic shift to a greater emphasis on the passing game—both in terms of how the game was played and how it was officiated—when Roethlisberger was drafted.

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/07...se-qb-ssearch/

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Steelers Must Show They’ve Learned From Last Franchise QB Search

Life as a Steelers fan is going to suck when Ben retires...

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Franchise QB's don't grow on trees. It may as well be another 20 years until the Steelers find another quarterback. Maybe even longer.

The fandom of many a Steeler fan will be tested for the next few years.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

So is the article hinting that Landry Jones is not the guy????

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by salamander View Post
    Life as a Steelers fan is going to suck when Ben retires...
    Life as a Browns or Bengals fan sucks. Life as a Steelers fan never sucks.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I recommend dealing with the Broncos for Paxton Lynch.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

So ... don't sit there for 25 years not trying to find a QB and thinking you can get by with random journeymen? Got it.

No, it does not take nearly as long to find a good QB if you are actually trying. We cannot possibly be that stupid again.

The main thing I'm worried about is that we end up with someone in Andy Dalton/Tony Romo/Ryan Tannehill territory, which means just good enough to get a big contract and become uncuttable, but not good enough to actually win anything. Then every couple years you barely manage to squeeze out a winning season like forcing out a fart, and then wonder why you're drifting aimlessly the next.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

It could be very fast but it could be very long.

20 years without QB franchise is very long, but this is worse for the bears

The Bears have never had a franchise QB in the super bowl era, although they have tried a few times, including this year or when the bears thought they had the answer with Jay Cutler.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    So ... don't sit there for 25 years not trying to find a QB and thinking you can get by with random journeymen? Got it.

No, it does not take nearly as long to find a good QB if you are actually trying. We cannot possibly be that stupid again.

The main thing I'm worried about is that we end up with someone in Andy Dalton/Tony Romo/Ryan Tannehill territory, which means just good enough to get a big contract and become uncuttable, but not good enough to actually win anything. Then every couple years you barely manage to squeeze out a winning season like forcing out a fart, and then wonder why you're drifting aimlessly the next.
    Define "trying".

My off the cuff guess is that maybe 1 out of every 20 or 30 QB's drafted ends up being better than Dalton or Romo?

I don't think the odds are very good, no matter how you slice it.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

You need the luck too....Like having a bad year at the right time(colts in 1998 and 2012)) or that a good QB is available when it's your turn to draft.

The steelers were lucky that Roethlisberger was available at 11 in 2004.If it would be today, Eli, Rivers and Roethlisberger would easily be drafted in the top 5 and you would need to trade up for one of his 3, and we know that a trade up for a QB is very expensive.

Finding a good QB is no problem.

Finding a GREAT QB is the problem.

Contrary to popular belief, the Steelers actually had Good QB's between Bradshaw and Roethlisberger. Neil O'Donnell and Stewart. They even went to a Super Bowl with one. The issue is that Neil bolted after his greasefire performance in XXX, and Kordell was inconsistent, both on part of himself as well as the Steelers piss poor mismanagement of him (five OC's in six years?).

I think a big part in why it took so damn long to find a consistent QB was the fact that the Steelers, especially in the Cowher years, never respected the Quarterback position. They didn't believe in a "Franchise QB" and what it takes to groom him. Cowher saw it fit to go with Mike Tomczak for a year after Neil left and thought he was enough to take the Steelers over the top. Well, he wasn't.

We live in an era that is a lot more offense and QB-friendly. It shouldn't be that hard to find another Quarterback after Ben. Even Landry Jones managed to overachieve.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    It could be very fast but it could be very long.

20 years without QB franchise is very long, but this is worse for the bears

The Bears have never had a franchise QB in the super bowl era, although they have tried a few times, including this year or when the bears thought they had the answer with Jay Cutler.
    That's the problem. Jay Cutler was never going to be the answer. He was a stop-gap. That is simply incompetence on part of the Bears.

Mitch Trubisky could be the answer for them, but right now the Bears are so bad as a team, Trubisky is likely going to flame out. That's another thing the Steelers need to watch out for. If the team overall sucks, a "franchise Quarterback" isn't going to do jack.

That's another thing the Steelers need to watch out for. If the team overall sucks, a "franchise Quarterback" isn't going to do jack.
    Yes, but their team overall has rarely been awful.

In the last 45 years, maybe only in 1988 their team overall was terrible and it's probably not at the level of the Bears right now.

Yes, but their team overall has rarely been awful.

In the last 45 years, maybe only in 1988 their team overall was terrible and it's probably not at the level of the Bears right now.
    I think you forgot the 2003 team. Of course, I think we all are trying to forget that team as well, so I can't say I blame you.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I think you forgot the 2003 team. Of course, I think we all are trying to forget that team as well, so I can't say I blame you.

It was bad but with a -27 point differential, it was not the worst team of the NFL in 2003

10 teams were worse than the steelers that year.

It was bad but with a -27 point differential, it was not the worst team of the NFL in 2003

10 teams were worse than the steelers that year.
    Naa, our Superbowl that year was defeating the Browns. That in itself means the team was terrible. (and terrible was the measuring stick).

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

maybe there wont be a " search " ?

maybe they got their guy in Dobbs ?

I was critical of the pick ( not the player as much as when )

but lets face some facts here ....

many claim that 90% of the game is played above the neck .... if we are to believe that is close to accurate Dobbs is literally already probably the smartest man in the locker room , perhaps in any locker room ?

He has a BIG arm , he can make the throws but some claim accuracy issues are a concern ..

many NFL starters have had that knock and a good amount of them over come it by having better receivers at the next level ( meaning guys who will go get the football )

with great receivers you do not have to thread needles just get the ball in the same window ..

time will tell and I wouldnt bank on it as the odds are against him ( they are against every QB regardless of round drafted though )

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I'd take a Romo type in a second as the successor to Ben. You'd be an idiot not to...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler