Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Steel Curtain

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The New Steel Curtain

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...eelers-defense

An interesting read. Even if it assumes much.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: The New Steel Curtain

I hope to see this defense become dominant again. Certainly the defense will have to step up, especially in the postseason, if this team is going to win the Super Bowl. They can't win the Super Bowl with just offense alone

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I hope to see this defense become dominant again. Certainly the defense will have to step up, especially in the postseason, if this team is going to win the Super Bowl. They can't win the Super Bowl with just offense alone
    Actually, if this offense reaches and plays to it's full potential, they could score 30+ points and beat the Patriots even with last years defense imo.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Actually, if this offense reaches and plays to it's full potential, they could score 30+ points and beat the Patriots even with last years defense imo.

No, not with the way our defense played against the pats ....If our offense would have scored 30 points or more against the Pats, the Pats would have scored 55 points like in 2013.

I mean, the pats have only had ONE Punt and no turnovers in this game and the punt was in the first quarter on the second drive of the game.

The Pats defense is very good, so the Steelers offense need help from their defense.Our offense has always no margin of error against the Pats.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    No, not with the way our defense played against the pats ....If our offense would have scored 30 points or more against the Pats, the Pats would have scored 55 points like in 2013.

I mean, the pats have only had ONE Punt and no turnovers in this game and the punt was in the first quarter on the second drive of the game.

The Pats defense is very good, so the Steelers offense need help from their defense.Our offense has always no margin of error against the Pats.
    No.

If Ben and this offense play to their full potential they could score 40 points on anyone and with our increased time of possession we would keep the patriots under 40.

In 34 games Bellichick has been head coach of the Patriots, his team had only surrendered 30 or more points in only 3 playoff games. Can't bank on scoring 30 points in the postseason against the Patriots and you can't surrender a lot of points in general in the postseason and expect to win the Super Bowl. Defense needs to step up, the defense has young players with potential, it just has to translate

No.

If Ben and this offense play to their full potential they could score 40 points on anyone and with our increased time of possession we would keep the patriots under 40.

The time of possession is not the problem against the pats

The pats only had 8 drives in the AFC title game and they scored 36 points !!!!

Against every defense, the steelers offense are going to make punt and sometimes a turnover, if our defense is not able to force the pats to make a punt, we have no chance.

In 34 games Bellichick has been head coach of the Patriots, his team had only surrendered 30 or more points in only 3 playoff games. Can't bank on scoring 30 points in the postseason against the Patriots and you can't surrender a lot of points in general in the postseason and expect to win the Super Bowl. Defense needs to step up, the defense has young players with potential, it just has to translate
    We have arguably the best runningback, # 1 receiver and arguably the best receiving corp with Bryant as #2, a top 3 line and arguably a top 3 quarterback.

What is the last offense that can boast this?...

My point is simply that there is no reason we cannot beat them this year with a likely much improved offense. None.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

We have arguably the best runningback, # 1 receiver and arguably the best receiving corp with Bryant as #2, a top 3 line and arguably a top 3 quarterback.

My point is simply that there is no reason we cannot beat them this year with a likely much improved offense. None.
    Wrong. If the Steelers had scored 37 in the AFCCG, they still would have lost, because they didn't play man coverage.

But... 37 is more points than 36.

Nope.

BostonBlackie

If the Patriots and Steelers play for the AFC Championship, and I hope they do, and I hope everybody is healthy, both defenses better be on their game.

NFL's top 10 offenses in 2017: Pats, Steelers look scary

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ers-look-scary

I think it's time to go back and look at a few stats, and then put them in context.

Last year, the Steelers were 13th best against the rush (total rushing yards allowed), but tied for 18th in yards per rush allowed (although, 1/10 of a point from sixteenth). So, rush only, they were an average defense last year. Against the pass, they were 16th in total yards allowed and 15th in yards per pass allowed. Although not too good against the rush for TDs, they were tenth best in least TDs through the air and tied for 9th in total sacks and 10th in total points allowed. Interestingly, they were tied with the Patriots* in INTs at 15th place, and one INT away for 12th place. Their also tied for ninth for fumble recoveries and seventh for forced fumbles. Another stat that excited me was 92 passes (ninth place) defended against.

What does that all mean? It means that last year, our defense was average with the ability to rise up and make some plays. Now, we should remember, this was with three rookies, two of whom were DBs, and one of whom played injured. It was also with our veteran DL player injured. This year, those three rookies come in with a season under their belts, and there is a good chance that two of the three other Rookie defenders coming in this year will make a difference as well. With that all said, I can see the argument for this defense becoming dominant, fast.

Now - What About the Pats*

Screw 'em.

Why do I say that? The problem last year was not a coaching staff that did not know how to call a defense. The problem, as it turns out, was a nightmare defensive match-up where we simply did not have the bodies to play man-coverage. I can't even blame the coaching staff for that. They drafted a guy to play the slot and keep up in man coverage, but Golson got injured two years in a row. That's not the coaches fault. No, the more I look at this defense, the more excited I get. My two worries are the run defense with Timmons gone and a rookie LB that got stymied against good technique in college (but looks to have been putting a lot of effort into getting better).

Ū Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Seeing is believing. Until I actually see a change I predict they will be the same this season. I am really hoping they can add consistent pressure(pass rush) this year. Last year was horrible in terms of consistent pressure. Dupree really needs to have a break out year.
    Hater = Realist

Only 3 teams in nfl history have won the super bowl by scoring more than 500 points in a season(1998 Broncos,1999 Rams and 2009 Saints)

I do not care how our offense is great, we need our defense to be better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Wrong. If the Steelers had scored 37 in the AFCCG, they still would have lost, because they didn't play man coverage.

Nope.

If the steelers would have scored 37 points against the pats, both teams would probably have had more drives in this game, so more drive, more chance to score points.It would have been a game like in 2013 when the pats scored 55 points

I do not consider our game in 2013 worse than the one in the AFC title game in defense since the pats would not have scored 55 points in this game if they would have only 8 drives.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

If the steelers would have scored 37 points against the pats, both teams would probably have had more drives in this game.
    Ugh... no. Several of the Steelers' drives ended with them settling for a FG or turning the ball over on downs. TDs instead of FGs (or instead of zero points) doesn't change the time of possession/give the Taperiots more drives/opportunities... but, it would indeed have given the Steelers more points.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Dupree needs to become a Demarcus Ware, Vonn Miller, James Harrison in his prime, level pass rusher. Without that, the defense will stagnate. There are many other exciting players on the defense who will likely take steps forward this season, but without a devastating edge rusher, none of the rest of it works.

Ugh... no. Several of the Steelers' drives ended with them settling for a FG or turning the ball over on downs. TDs instead of FGs (or instead of zero points) doesn't change the time of possession/give the Taperiots more drives/opportunities... but, it would indeed have given the Steelers more points.

The pats had only 8 drives in this game.This is very few.

I never said that our offense was good in this game, but our defense was worse than the stats say.

I mean, the pats had 33 points after 3 quarters and they stopped scoring points because the game was over.

In the game in 2013, the pats had 27 points after 3 quarter and they continued to score points in the 4th quarter since the game was close after 3 quarter.

The context is very important.

The pats had only 8 drives in this game.This is very few.

I never said that our offense was good in this game, but our defense was worse than the stats say.

I mean, the pats had 33 points after 3 quarters and they stopped scoring points because the game was over.

In the game in 2013, the pats had 27 points after 3 quarter and they continued to score points in the 4th quarter since the game was close after 3 quarter.

The context is very important.
    Cobi Hamilton catching a TD changes nothing else in that game... except it adds 7 points for the Steelers. Same goes for Coates on the opening drive. And, Hamilton a second time. That's 21 points (that isn't affected by anything else in the game).

You really think that the Taperiots took their foot off of the gas? Really??? I've seen them score a TD with 12 seconds left and up by 28. It is not Belichick's way. When asked about it, Belichick has averred that if the opposition wants his team to not score as much... the opposition should play defense.

Proof of this:
    As you stated, the Taperiots scored on 7/8 of their drives with the only drive that they didn't score on being the second drive of the game. In other words, they did not let up (as you indicate).

But... I know, I know... after 40+ threads on the same topic, I know: if the Steelers had simply played man coverage, Hamilton & Coates would have scored those three touchdowns.

Cobi Hamilton catching a TD changes nothing else in that game... except it adds 7 points for the Steelers. Same goes for Coates on the opening drive. And, Hamilton a second time. That's 21 points (that isn't affected by anything else in the game).

You really think that the Taperiots took their foot off of the gas? Really??? I've seen them score a TD with 12 seconds left and up by 28. It is not Belichick's way. When asked about it, Belichick has averred that if the opposition wants his team to not score as much... the opposition should play defense.

Proof of this:
    As you stated, the Taperiots scored on 7/8 of their drives with the only drive that they didn't score on being the second drive of the game. In other words, they did not let up (as you indicate).

But... I know, I know... after 40+ threads on the same topic, I know: if the Steelers had simply played man coverage, Hamilton & Coates would have scored those three touchdowns.

It was in 2007 that the patriots loved to run the score.They have not done that in recent years, especially against us.

In week 1 in 2015, the pats would have scored 38-42 points against us if they wanted to, but they did nothing in their last two drive since the game was safe at that time after scoring 4 easy TDs in their first 6 drives.

In the AFC title game, the pats had only 2 drives in the fourth quarter, one of its drives ended with a FG, the other was their victory formation.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

There is no "new" Steel Curtain. There was only one "Steel Curtain"

Blitzburgh was the nickname in the 90s.

They need a new nickname.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

No.

The pats only had 8 drives in the AFC title game and they scored 36 points !!!!

Nope.

Gotta go with the still-would've-lost on this one.

When you are allowing almost five points PER POSSESSION, the only way to win is to score a touchdown every time, and we were not/are not likely to do that.

Let's talk about time of possession and why it's bullshit. By definition, both teams are guaranteed the same number of possessions. Unless there's an onside kick or some random luck with timing at the end of a half, the math is very straightforward: You score more than the other team PER DRIVE, you win; if not, you lose. Time of possession is usually a good indicator of which way the game is going - but it's a symptom, not a strategy. It means you're stringing together successful drives and not allowing the opponent to do the same - in other words, you're playing better defense than them also. It does not mean "both offenses are scoring uncontested, but we had the ball more, so we win, 180-120."

Maybe there's a little auxiliary benefit to having better time of possession, like the opposing defense gets worn down or the opposing offense gets demoralized. But again, those are side effects of you ALREADY controlling the game, they're not a strategy to take control of the game in the first place.

Really, you are not going to beat New England by scoring a lot while also letting them score a lot. How many times has that ever happened - like 3 games ever out of 200+? Playing well on offense is a prerequisite, that's all. The teams that succeed also come out on defense and punch Brady in the dick, or whatever his equivalent of that is. If you're giving up 5 points per possession, you've basically got no chance to win at all. Our defense needs to be better than it was.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

No offense is going to score 37 points against the Pats defense in the postseason, especially in Foxboro, and you can't give up 36 points against anyone and expect to win

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Gotta go with the still-would've-lost on this one.

When you are allowing almost five points PER POSSESSION, the only way to win is to score a touchdown every time, and we were not/are not likely to do that.

Let's talk about time of possession and why it's bullshit. By definition, both teams are guaranteed the same number of possessions. Unless there's an onside kick or some random luck with timing at the end of a half, the math is very straightforward: You score more than the other team PER DRIVE, you win; if not, you lose. Time of possession is usually a good indicator of which way the game is going - but it's a symptom, not a strategy. It means you're stringing together successful drives and not allowing the opponent to do the same - in other words, you're playing better defense than them also. It does not mean "both offenses are scoring uncontested, but we had the ball more, so we win, 180-120."

Maybe there's a little auxiliary benefit to having better time of possession, like the opposing defense gets worn down or the opposing offense gets demoralized. But again, those are side effects of you ALREADY controlling the game, they're not a strategy to take control of the game in the first place.

Really, you are not going to beat New England by scoring a lot while also letting them score a lot. How many times has that ever happened - like 3 games ever out of 200+? Playing well on offense is a prerequisite, that's all. The teams that succeed also come out on defense and punch Brady in the dick, or whatever his equivalent of that is. If you're giving up 5 points per possession, you've basically got no chance to win at all. Our defense needs to be better than it was.
    great post!

- - - Updated - - -

No offense is going to score 37 points against the Pats defense in the postseason, especially in Foxboro, and you can't give up 36 points against anyone and expect to win

especially in only 8 drives.

It was in 2007 that the patriots loved to run the score.They have not done that in recent years, especially against us.

In week 1 in 2015, the pats would have scored 38-42 points against us if they wanted to, but they did nothing in their last two drive since the game was safe at that time after scoring 4 easy TDs in their first 6 drives.

In the AFC title game, the pats had only 2 drives in the fourth quarter, one of its drives ended with a FG, the other was their victory formation.
    If the Taperiots can score any number of points that they want, at any time that they want, why did they punt on the second possession of the game??? The game was hardly out of reach at the time. And, the Taperiots did not suddenly become altruistic and only score 36 (instead of 55); they scored 36 because that is what they scored.

Going back to to my point of contention, GBMelBlount stated that if the Steelers had put up 40, the Steelers could have won. (I agree 100%.) You aver that the Taperiots would simply have scored 41 (or 55), because somehow Brady & Belichick are able score any amount they choose. No, no, no.

The truth is: the Taperiots scored & earned all 36 points that they got. Nothing more, nothing less.

Now, I will say this: that final drive (victory formation) would have been different... and very interesting: Steelers up by 4, Brady needs a TD.

If the Taperiots can score any number of points that they want, at any time that they want, why did they punt on the second possession of the game??? The game was hardly out of reach at the time. And, the Taperiots did not suddenly become altruistic and only score 36 (instead of 55); they scored 36 because that is what they scored.

Going back to to my point of contention, GBMelBlount stated that if the Steelers had put up 40, the Steelers could have won. (I agree 100%.) You aver that the Taperiots would simply have scored 41 (or 55), because somehow Brady & Belichick are able score any amount they choose. No, no, no.

The truth is: the Taperiots scored & earned all 36 points that they got. Nothing more, nothing less.

Now, I will say this: that final drive (victory formation) would have been different... and very interesting: Steelers up by 4, Brady needs a TD.
    It's very rare you win in the NFL, when your defense gives almost 5 points per drive !!!!..I don't think it's hard to understand.The best offense in 2016 (Falcons) had 3 points per drive....The pats had 4.5 points per drive against us!

If the pats and the steelers would have had 12 drives, as this is often the case in the NFL, the pats would have had 54 points.

This is my point.

It's very rare you win in the NFL, when your defense gives almost 5 points per drive !!!!..I don't think it's hard to understand.The best offense in 2016 (Falcons) had 3 points per drive....The pats had 4.5 points per drive against us!

If the pats and the steelers would have had 12 drives, as this is often the case in the NFL, the pats would have had 54 points.

This is my point.
    But, again, GBMelBlount's point was "if the Steelers had scored 40 points" (which would have been 5 points/drive), they could have won.

You keep saying that the Taperiots would have simply scored more points.

I contend that the Steelers scoring more points would have indeed improved their chances vastly of winning.

Everyone can continue ignore the offense's lackluster output and blame that loss solely on "not playing man coverage." But, in reality, 17 points wasn't going to cut it. Yes, the defense sucked, but to continue to say that the offense had zero part in the loss is asinine (and frustrating to read hundreds upon hundreds of times).

Let me put it this way...

Let's say that the Steelers had played man-coverage, and the defense is lights out... holding the Taperiots to only FGs on all of their scoring drives. That's six scoring drives, plus the punt, and the victory formation... which comes to a total of 18 points.

The Steelers still lose 17-18.

But, again, GBMelBlount's point was "if the Steelers had scored 40 points" (which would have been 5 points/drive), they could have won.

You keep saying that the Taperiots would have simply scored more points.

I contend that the Steelers scoring more points would have indeed improved their chances vastly of winning.

Everyone can continue ignore the offense's lackluster output and blame that loss solely on "not playing man coverage." But, in reality, 17 points wasn't going to cut it. Yes, the defense sucked, but to continue to say that the offense had zero part in the loss is asinine (and frustrating to read hundreds upon hundreds of times).

It's not realistic to think that the steelers will score 5 points per drive against a very good defense and a great defensive coach(BB of course) as the Pats have.

It's almost impossible and even if they do that, they are not certain to win if our defense continues to be bad against them.This is the problem.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Time of possession is fairly important.

The Pats comeback win in the SB was in a larger part because the Falcons offense ran like 2 plays in the entire second half. That defense was gassed.

If the Steelers score more in the AFCG, play-calling for the rest of the game changes. A butterfly flaps it's wings in Asia and their is a tornado in Kansas...etc.

Man coverage is not some magic bullet that does or could fix all the flaws in a team.

The AFCG would have still featured:
    1. A lack of L. Bell - arguably the most important non Ben Roethlisberger cog in the Steelers offense.
    2. No credible pass catching threats aside from AB - a season long problem that was deeply exposed in the playoffs.
    3. Not enough competent DB's for any coverage scheme. When you have Golden, Dangerfield, and Gay all in the game and all responsible for someone or a large area of grass -- Brady's gonna find that match-up and beat it like a drum.

The only thing that is important for the possession time is for not that our defense for 35-40 minutes in a game.

The job of a defense is to give the ball to your offense as quickly as possible by forcing the opponent to make a punt or make a turnovers.

No doubt, our offense has not do a good job against the pats, but this thread is on our defense and our defense needs to be better against great passing offense.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The only thing that is important for the possession time is for not that our defense for 35-40 minutes in a game.

The job of a defense is to give the ball to your offense as quickly as possible by forcing the opponent to make a punt or make a turnovers.

No doubt, our offense has not do a good job against the pats, but this thread is on our defense and our defense needs to be better against great passing offense.
    Right. But the point of the thread is looking ahead at what this defense CAN become. There are no stats to back up the article. It's just a fluff piece for the fans to talk about how good this very young defense has looked, and about possible future greatness. Forget the AFCCG already. Move on. Enjoy what is here and now for a day.