Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So, why did YOU become a Steelers fan?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: So, why did YOU become a Steelers fan?

My family has always laughed at the TV announcers who say Steelers fans travel well. We've always thought it was expat Yinzers who moved for economics and kept their team.

Seems like some on this board are in that boat.

I'm a Bucs and Steelers fan as well as a chipped ham eater due to folks leaving the Western PA valleys but never forgetting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So, why did YOU become a Steelers fan?

Last edited by Mojouw; 07-05-2017 at 05:27 AM.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

grew up in the 60s-70s in the 412 , that has since changed to the 724 ( in my area ) even though I am in the same small town of 500 people 40 mins from the Stadium via 376 or 79/279 or a little longer rt 19 or 51 or hell even 8-22 for that matter

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

It's stamped on my birth certificate from Allegheny General Hospital.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Im From Jersey.

My parents got divorced when I was 6. Dad was a Jets fan mom was a giants fan. I chose my own team and it was Steelers(since I didn't want to chose family team because i felt like I was favoring a family) I was fascinated by Jerome Bettis.

I am 30 younger then most here. sorry not a native thorough bred like most of you here.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    Im From Jersey.

My parents got divorced when I was 6. Dad was a Jets fan mom was a giants fan. I chose my own team and it was Steelers(since I didn't want to chose family team because i felt like I was favoring a family) I was fascinated by Jerome Bettis.

I am 30 younger then most here. sorry not a native thorough bred like most of you here.
    No need for us to apologize because we aren't from the 'Burgh, all that matters is that we're true fans of the team we love. It doesn't matter if they go 20-0 or 0-16, I'm gonna be rooting for them.

Hophead Array title="SCSTILLER has a spectacular aura about"> SCSTILLER's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    My family has always laughed at the TV announcers who say Steelers fans travel well. We've always thought it was expat Yinzers who moved for economics and kept their team.

Seems like some on this board are in that boat.

I'm a Bucs and Steelers fan as well as a chipped ham eater due to folks leaving the Western PA valleys but never forgetting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I always laugh also when I hear the announcers say Steelers fans travel well...Steelers fans are already there. I was born and raised in Beaver County and my Grandparents had season tix since the late '70s, now my Uncle has them. I have relocated to Charleston, SC but still a die hard.

Speaking of the travel well part, has anyone read this:
    http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news...h1j1yb1kqv30d9
    "The mountains are calling and I must go!" -- John Muir

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    No need for us to apologize because we aren't from the 'Burgh, all that matters is that we're true fans of the team we love. It doesn't matter if they go 20-0 or 0-16, I'm gonna be rooting for them.
    I've live in a couple different places, including Dallas for 30 years. Can't prove it, but I have an idea that there are more Steelers fans that are not from Pittsburgh than there are that live there.

AML

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I live in a military town/ region so we have quite a few (active duty and retired) from Pittsburgh and surrounding areas.

I keep getting asked if I am from there because every Steeler fan I meet, is from there lol.

Our local CBS affiliate news anchor is a die hard fan and she always gets an interview from the hometown cool shades coach. Also, we seem to get most Steeler games (that are not national), which is strange because we're supposed to be slated for Ratbirds games for CBS. Any time a Steeler game is not shown, their phones ring off the hook and the emails flood them.

We even have a Pittsburgh themed food truck in our area with the Primanti Bros sandwich, Pittsburgh Salad, Pierogies, etc.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Same ... Can't wait for the season !

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

I was born this way!
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Nadroj 20 View Post
    I was born this way!
    I love this answer!!

Junior Member Array title="usoutpost31 is an unknown quantity at this point">

- - - Updated - - -

I was a fan of another team, Rams, for almost 20 years. There was a time when I thought it was for life.

To make a long story short, that experience nearly killed my interest in the NFL entirely. I won't list all the things that went wrong there, but suffice it to say I wasn't going to stay in an abusive, dead end relationship for the sake of "loyalty". I had to find something better.

I'm a Steeler fan, but for only a few months now. I needed a new team to root for and I picked them. They're going to give me what I need as a sports fan. Committed, stable management. Passionate, knowledgeable fan base. A brand of football people want to watch. And ownership that doesn't bilk every last dollar from their fans but tries to give them their money's worth.
    Last edited by usoutpost31; 07-24-2017 at 06:11 AM. Reason: duplicate post

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by usoutpost31 View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

I was a fan of another team, Rams, for almost 20 years. There was a time when I thought it was for life.

To make a long story short, that experience nearly killed my interest in the NFL entirely. I won't list all the things that went wrong there, but suffice it to say I wasn't going to stay in an abusive, dead end relationship for the sake of "loyalty". I had to find something better.

I'm a Steeler fan, but for only a few months now. I needed a new team to root for and I picked them. They're going to give me what I need as a sports fan. Committed, stable management. Passionate, knowledgeable fan base. A brand of football people want to watch. And ownership that doesn't bilk every last dollar from their fans but tries to give them their money's worth.
    Welcome.

My wife is in a similar boat. Once the Chargers moved to LA, she "officially" became a Steelers fan.

Of course, it was an easy transition, considering she has watched every single Steelers game with me since we have been dating/married... and has worn Steelers yoga pants & a Steelers shirt while doing so.

Junior Member Array title="Steel 36 Bus is an unknown quantity at this point"> Steel 36 Bus's Avatar

Born and raised in Gettysburg/Hanover area. moved to L.A. in 1988. growing up my Dad and all of my uncles were Steelers fans. we would watch all of the games. they were bad in the late 60's when I started following them. I was really young. they have always been my team.

when the wife and I fly back to visits the families. we have to fly into Baltimore. and I always have Steelers gear on 365 days of the yr. So I am always getting their crap at the airport. so I have to give history lessons. I tell them when I grew up here. the Colts were here and your team was in Cleveland wearing orange. that shuts them up every time. lol.

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

I love this answer!!
    It's congenital in my family. My son has it too!
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~