Thread: Steelers Offense Most Balanced In NFL In 2016 On 1st & 10

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers Offense Most Balanced In NFL In 2016 On 1st & 10

Trying to stay balanced with play calling in the NFL is certainly a tough chore as score, down and distance and other variables make it challenging for offensive coordinators to do so. However, when it comes to the Pittsburgh Steelers last season, offensive coordinator Todd Haley and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger did an excellent job of remaining balanced in certain down and distance situations.

According to Connor Orr of NFL.com, the Steelers were tied with the Kansas City Chiefs for the most balanced offense in the NFL in 2016 on first and 10 plays. Orr has the Steelers run/pass split at 49.5%/50.5% and if you’re curious, that was on 418 total offensive plays.

Further research of mine shows that the Steelers averaged 4.08 yards on all first and 10 runs and 6.33 yards on all first and 10 passes.

When it comes to third and 1 plays last season, the Steelers offense was the third-most balanced in the NFL with a run/pass split of 60%/40%, according to Orr. However, as Orr also points out, the Steelers were the third-most pass-happy offense in the NFL last season when it comes to that down and distance.

Being as you’re probably curious to know what happened on those third and 1 pass plays, I researched them for you and in total, the Steelers threw the football just 8 times on that down and distance with only two going for incompletions.

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/06...l-2016-1st-10/

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Steelers Offense Most Balanced In NFL In 2016 On 1st & 10

But I thought the Steelers only threw drive killing incompletions and interceptions on third and short!

I say "Pooh!" to your facts and figures and will continue harping on my preconceived notions!

Cool article, thanks for posting.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Steelers should be in two-down hurry up offense all the time. When they start to think about things is when they get in trouble.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">