Thread: 4 Steelers’ Defenses Ranked In 30 Best Of Last 30 Years

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

4 Steelers’ Defenses Ranked In 30 Best Of Last 30 Years

The Pittsburgh Steelers have certainly had some great defenses during the Super Bowl era and four of them wound up making the 30 best of the last 30 years rankings that Aaron Schatz of Football Outsiders put together for ESPN.com.

2008,1990,2004 and 2010.

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/06...last-30-years/

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: 4 Steelers’ Defenses Ranked In 30 Best Of Last 30 Years

1990 defense? If only we had a real QB at that time .....

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The opponents QB against the Steelers in 1990 had 9 TD, 24 INT and a QB rating of 54.3!

Almost at the level of the 2002 Tampa Bay defense against the pass.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Very cool.

I am curious if our offense has ever been ranked #1?...and if not, how close have we been.

My guess is if the offense stays healthy we have a shot this year.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Very cool.

I am curious if our offense has ever been ranked #1?...and if not, how close have we been.

My guess is if the offense stays healthy we have a shot this year.
    I think the 1979 Steelers lead the league in points scored and were pretty high in yards. They also lead the league in turnovers. A very sloppy team.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I think the 1979 Steelers lead the league in points scored and were pretty high in yards. They also lead the league in turnovers. A very sloppy team.
    Good memory

1979 offense was first in yards and points (only Steelers team to lead the league on offense in either category)

Defense has been first in points allowed 7 times (1946, 1976, 1978, 2004, 2008, 2010 & 2011) and in yards allowed 10 times (1957, 1974, 1976, 1990, 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2011, & 2012)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I miss those dominant defenses of the 2000s mentioned in the article that helped win the 2 Super Bowls. I hope in the near future the defense becomes a dominant force again

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

You kids should read about the 1976 defense which was probably the best in the Super Bowl era despite the fact they did not go that season because of too many injuries on offense. After a 1-4 start and a come to Jesus meeting with Sir Chaz they allowed 28 TOTAL POINTS in the last 9 games of the regular season while pitching 5 shutouts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_P...teelers_season

http://www.steelersuk.com/history/se...20defense.html
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    You kids should read about the 1976 defense which was probably the best in the Super Bowl era despite the fact they did not go that season because of too many injuries on offense. After a 1-4 start and a come to Jesus meeting with Sir Chaz they allowed 28 TOTAL POINTS in the last 9 games of the regular season while pitching 5 shutouts.

The article goes back 30 years. They should have gone back 40 so the 76 D would be included.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post

At the time, I was too young to understand, but my dad is adamant that that team was the best Steelers team ever.

(Losing both Bleier AND Harris in the same playoff game was too much to overcome.)

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

1976 was the most dominant display of defense I have ever witnessed. If the offense was healthy, it would have been a trifecta, and the only team to ever win 3 SBs in a row.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

I think the article purposely left out the 1976 defense because it is undisputed as the best in team history. They wanted to cover the later teams as a primary focus instead. Brad's elbow was acting up in 1976 too. It wasn't just the loss of our 2 starting RBs. Much different than the 2000 Ravens that rode a great D with a mediocre QB .
    Last edited by ALLD; 06-24-2017 at 04:34 PM.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

They don't have the data needed to run their analytics beyond 30 years ago. Football Outsiders uses results of per play data and chatting to derive their numbers and rankings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Dave Bryan is not a football outsider though, IMO. I think 30 was just an easy earmark. Now, take that entire ranking and compare to the '76 Steelers' defense. Best ever? The SteelCurtain defense was the best ever, the best year of it doesn't matter. Again, IMO.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Bryan is not. The author of the article is. Database only goes to 1987.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Bryan is not. The author of the article is. Database only goes to 1987.
    My bad....I thought Bryan was the author. I really don't have any strong feelings about this anyway. LOL! Best vs best has always been however you want to line up the stats.