Thread: Four Potential Replacements For Daniel McCullers

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Four Potential Replacements For Daniel McCullers

It is June 21st and I’ll admit it, there isn’t much going on right now. Wanted to dive into some game tape from last year but NFL Game Pass is overhauling their system (and making it worse, sadly). For now, that’s a bit on the backburner.
    Switching gears, I wanted to throw out a couple names as possible replacements for Daniel McCullers. Been asked about it a lot and I haven’t given much of an answer because I hadn’t done a lick of research. McCullers still could make the roster but it’s clear the Pittsburgh Steelers have one foot out the door. Bad sign when LT Walton runs ahead of you. In theory, the team could find his replacement in-house, using Walton or Tyson Alualu, but neither have ever played the 3-4 nose before. Ditching McCullers opens up that roster spot anyway.
    Assuming they go out-of-house, here are four names the Steelers may consider.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/06...iel-mccullers/

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Re: Four Potential Replacements For Daniel McCullers

McClendon would be an interesting pickup.

Wasn't there a stat a few years ago (can't say if causal or correlation) that our run stuffing numbers were significantly better on the run downs he was playing?

Here is an article link I just grabbed.

So You Think Steve McLendon Was Bad Against The Run In 2013?

BY DAVE BRYAN DECEMBER 31, 2013 AT 07:45 AM

There a lot of fans that are wanting the Pittsburgh Steelers to draft a nose tackle early in the 2014 NFL Draft because they feel like Steve McLendon isn’t doing his job against the run. I’m here to tell you, McLendon played well against the run in his first full season as a starter when he was in the game.

While I certainly can’t walk you through every running play, I can give you some stats from our charting project that we are wrapping up and the numbers will probably surprise you.

When McLendon was on the field in 2013, opponents ran “up the middle” 47 times for 103 yards. That equates to 2.19 yards per rush and only one of those runs, a 14 yarder, went for more than 10 yards. McLendon was credited with being in on 10 tackles on those runs as well.

While it is a bit unfair to McLendon, we will also look at all runs that went from left guard all the way over to right guard when he was on the field and that includes the aforementioned runs up the middle. In total, there 112 such runs for 458 yards with four going for more than 10 yards. Three of those runs I am sure you all remember as they went for 23, 55 and 60 yards respectively. If you forgot about them, I have included the animated gifs of them below.

(Continued)

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/12...e-run-in-2013/
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

People keep saying the NT position isn't the same as it used to be. While there may be truth in that, it's a bit scary running a 3-4 without a true NT.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post

Wasn't there a stat a few years ago (can't say if causal or correlation) that our run stuffing numbers were significantly better on the run downs he was playing?

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    People keep saying the NT position isn't the same as it used to be. While there may be truth in that, it's a bit scary running a 3-4 without a true NT.
    We were already doing that for like 5 years after Hampton left.

Here's the thing about nose tackle. It's not valuable to have a guy whose primary job is to stuff the run up the middle. The game HAS changed in that respect; a player like that is only going to be useful like a third of the time. That's why McLendon wasn't useful.

What a defensive tackle DOES need to do is either create pressure, or create space for the guys who do generate pressure. That goes whether you're in a 3-4 or a 4-3, no exceptions. Hargreaves can do that from the interior even though he's not a "true" nose tackle, so he's immediately valuable. McCullers can create space, but in a 3-4 you need someone to create space more like Hampton's way; there's a difference. McLendon couldn't do either of those as a nose tackle; he probably could've created some pressure but needed someone else creating the space. Both McLendon and McCullers were unfortunately probably better suited for a 4-3 or a hybrid defense. Together they could've made quite a tandem in that respect, actually. Wrong place wrong time.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Miss the days of arguing about how good McLendon actually was as a NT.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    We were already doing that for like 5 years after Hampton left.

Here's the thing about nose tackle. It's not valuable to have a guy whose primary job is to stuff the run up the middle. The game HAS changed in that respect; a player like that is only going to be useful like a third of the time. That's why McLendon wasn't useful.

What a defensive tackle DOES need to do is either create pressure, or create space for the guys who do generate pressure. That goes whether you're in a 3-4 or a 4-3, no exceptions. Hargreaves can do that from the interior even though he's not a "true" nose tackle, so he's immediately valuable. McCullers can create space, but in a 3-4 you need someone to create space more like Hampton's way; there's a difference. McLendon couldn't do either of those as a nose tackle; he probably could've created some pressure but needed someone else creating the space. Both McLendon and McCullers were unfortunately probably better suited for a 4-3 or a hybrid defense. Together they could've made quite a tandem in that respect, actually. Wrong place wrong time.
    That's the truth of it. With us rushing 4 and dropping 7 scheme(seems to be our approach), the point of the NT has become blurred. With Hampton, he could rush and run stuff. Hargraves has some of that talent too. The beauty is our pass rush CAN come from anywhere in our front 7 now with the athletes we have. However, to really increase our odds of getting to the QB more this season, I would like to see more rush 5 and drop 6. Because that opens up holes, a true NT is still optimal. Our young DBs need to continue to grow rapidly.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Speaking of Replacements, I watched John Wick II two nights ago and it was awesome. Pew Pew pew Pew!

"With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Speaking of Replacements, I watched John Wick II two nights ago and it was awesome. Pew Pew pew Pew!

I just saw John Matrix II as well. They set up for #3.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The role of a 3 man line is changing. It used to be their primary goal was to take up space and occupy blockers to let the LBs clean everything up. That was in a run focused league.

Now, it is all about creating space (as someone else phrased it) and being position/role flexible. I'm not sure that anyone really knows what a NT looks like anymore. Might be morphing into one of the most unreasonably demanding positions on a 3-4 defense.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

I hope Big Dan visits and reads the title of this thread.

If it doesn't light a fire under his ass nothing will. The guy is going to training camp and there's talk about potential replacements....like it's a given.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The role of a 3 man line is changing. It used to be their primary goal was to take up space and occupy blockers to let the LBs clean everything up. That was in a run focused league.

Now, it is all about creating space (as someone else phrased it) and being position/role flexible. I'm not sure that anyone really knows what a NT looks like anymore. Might be morphing into one of the most unreasonably demanding positions on a 3-4 defense.
    Could be the reason why we are seeing fewer teams deploy a 3-4 in general.