Thread: Will We Run The Tread off Bell Again?

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Will We Run The Tread off Bell Again?

Believing In James Conner As A Receiving Option Out Of The Backfield

As Le’Veon Bell works toward a new contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers organization during his absence from the team, many in the media have continued to tussle with the topic of his workload moving forward with a heavy focus on utilizing rookie running back James Conner.

While the obvious solution on paper is to have Conner relief Bell on occasion, the significant portion of the solution comes down to execution. Those who follow the Steelers are likely well aware of Conner’s ability to be an effective runner from his days in Pittsburgh but there is much more to preserving Bell than just running the football.

No running back in football contributed more to their team’s passing offense than Bell, as his 32.6 routes run per game not only lead all running backs but also surpassed Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones, according to Pro Football Focus.

No one in their right mind is expecting Conner to fool us with a Bell-esque performance out of the backfield. But the former Pitt running back could conserve more miles on Bell’s odometer if the Steelers have confidence in him as a receiving threat out of the backfield.

Fortunately, the Steelers have no reason to doubt Conner as his college career shows every reason to be confident in his receiving skill. Below are some of Conner’s most impressive receptions from his final season as a Pittsburgh Panther.

(Continued)

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/06...ion-backfield/
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Will We Run The Tread off Bell Again?

I hope we run the tread off him and then move on. Solves the problem of overpaying him for years that he will be declining, in his late 20's.
    Last edited by DesertSteel; 06-19-2017 at 11:13 PM. Reason: typo

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I would say, yes. I don't know how many snaps Conner/Davis will get. DWill didn't play much when Bell was healthy, I see no reason to believe our current backups will get more. But aren't NFL RBs supposed to get the tread run off?

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

If it means a SB......hell yes run his wheels.....he's only good for another couple of years anyway!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

You can't be productive when you're not on the field, so yes, please use him as much as you can.

Playing every down or even most downs is not "running the treads off" of someone, by the way. The majority of starters at most positions do exactly that unless there's a reason to come out of the game.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Probably, they will exclusively use Bell and Connor, one of the 3rd round picks will get 0-2 carries per game when Bell is on the field

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I can't recall the Steelers using 2 backs splitting the load since Bam Morris/Eric Pegram or Bam Morris/Barry Foster. Once Bettis got here, it was all him. Famous Amos Z didn't last long and Duce found his calling in modeling sweatsuits. Then Parker's wheels were ridden.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Noll didn't worry about running off Franco's treads.

Tomlin shouldn't worry about running off Bell's treads.

Use great players to win.....save them for what?

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I can't recall the Steelers using 2 backs splitting the load since Bam Morris/Eric Pegram or Bam Morris/Barry Foster. Once Bettis got here, it was all him. Famous Amos Z didn't last long and Duce found his calling in modeling sweatsuits. Then Parker's wheels were ridden.
    I think it was easy to see that Bell was worn out at the end of the season last year. I didn't like it one bit. He's a huge asset to our offense when healthy, and the Steelers take advantage of him too much. Teams that are successful can run the ball in the playoffs. Keep the backs fresh, so when that time comes you don't have guys banged up. I actually thought Cowher was very good at this. I recall him utilizing Bettis, Zeroue, and Big Ma'afala very well. If those teams would had a QB they would have won multiple super bowls. They were built for the playoffs.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    I think it was easy to see that Bell was worn out at the end of the season last year. I didn't like it one bit. He's a huge asset to our offense when healthy, and the Steelers take advantage of him too much. Teams that are successful can run the ball in the playoffs. Keep the backs fresh, so when that time comes you don't have guys banged up. I actually thought Cowher was very good at this. I recall him utilizing Bettis, Zeroue, and Big Ma'afala very well. If those teams would had a QB they would have won multiple super bowls. They were built for the playoffs.
    I mean, I have no problem with giving people a breather, or resting guys at the end of the game when it's mostly decided - but if you've got a guy capable of putting up 2,000-yard seasons, he's not going to do that from the bench. Bell is our best back by far, he does things that other backs can't, and as long as the game is competitive, we SHOULD be taking advantage of that.

To the bolded part - of course there's the theory that by law of averages, the less often you use a player, the less chance he'll get hurt ... but 16 games and what, 350 touches per season is way too small of a sample size. Injuries basically happen at random, it can happen on one play. You might decrease his injury risk 10% by resting him at every opportunity, but he might get injured anyway. You just can't control it very much. Over the course of 100 guys' entire careers, maybe you will see something statistically significant. But most of staying healthy in any one season is just a matter of having good luck.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    I think it was easy to see that Bell was worn out at the end of the season last year. I didn't like it one bit.

He's a huge asset to our offense when healthy, and the Steelers take advantage of him too much.

Teams that are successful can run the ball in the playoffs. Keep the backs fresh, so when that time comes you don't have guys banged up.

I actually thought Cowher was very good at this. I recall him utilizing Bettis, Zeroue, and Big Ma'afala very well. If those teams would had a QB they would have won multiple super bowls. They were built for the playoffs.
    I agree.

I do think players can burn out and I do think when they burn out risk of injury can increase.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quick check of the stats, using Bettis as a benchmark -- Bell is getting about 4-8 more touches (rushing + receiving) per game.

So not sure the whole "wheels come off thing".

Bell's usage is in line with someone like Forte or Marshall Faulk and slightly higher than Lesean McCoy.

In 12 games last year, they did exceed the ideal usage rate -- but that was because they ran out of WRs.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

We should sign denagello again for another year for insurance

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    We should sign denagello again for another year for insurance
    I'd prefer Donatello. He was always my favorite ninja turtle. Idk how his skills would translate to football tho.

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I mean, I have no problem with giving people a breather, or resting guys at the end of the game when it's mostly decided - but if you've got a guy capable of putting up 2,000-yard seasons, he's not going to do that from the bench. Bell is our best back by far, he does things that other backs can't, and as long as the game is competitive, we SHOULD be taking advantage of that.

To the bolded part - of course there's the theory that by law of averages, the less often you use a player, the less chance he'll get hurt ... but 16 games and what, 350 touches per season is way too small of a sample size. Injuries basically happen at random, it can happen on one play. You might decrease his injury risk 10% by resting him at every opportunity, but he might get injured anyway. You just can't control it very much. Over the course of 100 guys' entire careers, maybe you will see something statistically significant. But most of staying healthy in any one season is just a matter of having good luck.
    It's not just the law of averages, though. It's a belief that too much repetition over a certain period of time makes the body much more susceptible to injury then, or even the following year. There are several anecdotal stories to the point, but I don't know if I've ever seen conclusive proof for or against the argument.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

It's kinda hard not to.

Bell is one of those player where the more touches he gets, the better he plays.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

He's been banged up 2 years in a row in the playoffs, where we need him the most. Get Conner up to speed and have him spare Bell on a few series a game. Look at what the Falcons do with 2 RBs. Coleman and Freeman were both fresh in the playoffs and the Falcons made it to the Super Bowl. Of course we wouldn't have to split the carries like Atlanta does, but 5-8 touches a game for Conner could go a long ways in keeping LeVeon fresh. A freak injury can always happen, but I guarantee you the possibility of injury increases when you're tired.
    Last edited by RunNGun; 06-20-2017 at 05:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    It's not just the law of averages, though. It's a belief that too much repetition over a certain period of time makes the body much more susceptible to injury then, or even the following year. There are several anecdotal stories to the point, but I don't know if I've ever seen conclusive proof for or against the argument.
    Well, even in that case, Bell has played 18 games over the past two years. He might see a few more touches per game than other backs because of his pass-catching, but overall his number of snaps played has been less than the top backs. Two of his three injuries have been from taking individual unlucky hits to the knee, and the other happened after a suspension-shortened season. He's been rested three or four full games per year just because of weed. I don't understand what people want us to do - use him even less?

Even talking about usage in individual games - what do we do there? Take him out for an extra couple of series per game, coach's decision? Well, there likely goes at least one scoring chance. Take him out in certain situations? Which ones - he's our best regular back by far, our best short-yardage back, and our best third-down back. He makes plays that other people just can't. You don't take a guy like that off the field. Not to mention, what are other running backs doing when he's out there catching passes? Probably blocking, which is not without its own risks.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Since 2014, I don't think they have really had a choice for the full season due to injuries or people quitting the team anyways. They have had to play Bell a majority of the snaps.

2014 - Suckerpunch quits after Tenn. game which leaves the team with no real backup other than Joshua Harris and for the playoff game, Ben Tate.

2015 - DeAngelo fills in during the suspension but gets hurt before the playoffs leaving Frenchy and Todman as the RBs vs the Bungles and the Broncos in the playoffs. Both of them sat most of the season.
    Even when D Will was healthy and the primary backup, Ben was hurt a few games and they had to have Bell on the field because the backup QBs sucked and needed the best players at the skill positions to make up for their suckiness.

2016 - DeAngelo gets hurt during the season leaving Frenchy as the only backup.

Their goal has been to have the #2 RB play every 3rd or 4th series but game situations and injuries overrule that.

Ok, so those who believe we should rest him, which games last season could we have afforded to do that? Just wondering.

I'm unable to copy and paste, but for those of you who think Bell was used too much last season, take a look at Labs June 20th "Asked and Answered". The answer to the first question puts it perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Since 2014, I don't think they have really had a choice for the full season due to injuries or people quitting the team anyways. They have had to play Bell a majority of the snaps.

2014 - Suckerpunch quits after Tenn. game which leaves the team with no real backup other than Joshua Harris and for the playoff game, Ben Tate.

2015 - DeAngelo fills in during the suspension but gets hurt before the playoffs leaving Frenchy and Todman as the RBs vs the Bungles and the Broncos in the playoffs. Both of them sat most of the season.
    Even when D Will was healthy and the primary backup, Ben was hurt a few games and they had to have Bell on the field because the backup QBs sucked and needed the best players at the skill positions to make up for their suckiness.

2016 - DeAngelo gets hurt during the season leaving Frenchy as the only backup.

Their goal has been to have the #2 RB play every 3rd or 4th series but game situations and injuries overrule that.
    Those are good points you made. We really didn't have a RB we could trust when DeAngelo was hurt. IMO, when DeAngelo was healthy they still didn't spell Bell enough, but that definitely could have been due to the situations of games, but I'm not doing research.

I'm not going to look at some "experts" opinion on why Bell should be in the whole game. This is just my opinion. This year we have nice depth at the RB position, assuming Conner is a serviceable backup.

The Steelers are a playoff caliber team, who will more than likely dominate a few teams next season. There is no reason if we jump out to a 14-0 lead that we can't bring Conner or Davis in for a few series. I'm not saying those are the only circumstances Bell should come off either. They should be game planning around another back for 2 or 3 series a game, every game, or the tread on Bell's tires will be worn out when the playoffs roll around again. A healthy Bell could be the success and failure of this team. Look at the way the Pats and Falcons utilize their RBs.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Maybe I'm wrong but, the Steelers will not beat the cheats with a banged up Bell in the playoffs. I'm still waiting for the steelers to beat the cheats when it counts for once!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Here's what I don't get. D-Will is still out there. Frenchy is still on the roster. Why? Croissant isn't going to get any better than he already is. With the drafting of Connor, LeCafe isn't the "future" anymore either.

Bell/Connor/DWill and Davis on the roster as a kick returner.

That's some solid depth right there.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Here's what I don't get. D-Will is still out there. Frenchy is still on the roster. Why? Croissant isn't going to get any better than he already is. With the drafting of Connor, LeCafe isn't the "future" anymore either.

DWill may get the call this TC. ONLY if 'Baguette' gets hurt. Bell, Conner, and Davis will probably be the depth on the 53. Plus Nix I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Here's what I don't get. D-Will is still out there.

Frenchy is still on the roster. Why? Croissant isn't going to get any better than he already is. With the drafting of Connor, LeCafe isn't the "future" anymore either.

LMAO! Made my afternoon.