Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Greatest NFL Team of Last 50 years?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: 2nd Greatest NFL Team of Last 50 years?

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Boston has a shitty (and richly deserved) reputation in general. And yeah, it kills me whenever they bring up Bill Russell and the '60s Celtics in particular while beating their chests about Boston's "sports tradition":

Read more: Playing Through the Pain

And another "gem": Why Boston's Sports Teams Can't Escape the City's Racism

And another one whose undivided attention will probably turn back to DA SAWX after Brady retires and the Patriots fall back to mediocrity. At its heart, Boston is still a baseball town, first and foremost...
    I wonder what they would do if Brady was black? Or better yet, Welker or Edelman?!

Junior Member Array title="BengalGirl5150 will become famous soon enough"> BengalGirl5150's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBlackie View Post
    I would agree that the question is who is the second greatest team over the last 50 years, because without question this Patriot team is number 1. Same coach, same QB, 16 years, 14 playoffs, 7 Super Bowl appearances, 5 wins, only one season under 10 wins. Who's the troll? Anyone who doubts that the crown is on display at Gillette.
    LOL omg are u serious? u guys play in the WORST div in pro sports for the past 20 years & then act like yr the best b/c u get cakewalked into a bye week homefield adv every year. Try playing in a REAL division and youd be lucky to win 10 games most years. lol, no playoffs for U!

I dont like the STEALERS but at least when they win they win by beating the BEST! Not like your whiny qb and his coach who never won anything before he started CHEATING! LOL!!

anyway I guess thanks to yr cupcake schedule AGAIN we'll see u in the playoffs where you lose yr 1st game half the time anyway. ooh, we beat up on the jets & dolphins all year again, look at us, we're so great. maybe u can comfort urself w/ that while yr smoking your cigar after LOSING to da AFC NORTH!

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    We are going on 50 years since the merger and if I am not mistaken the Steelers have been blessed to have more Lombardi's and wins than any other team.

So while they are without question the greatest team in the last 50 years, I am curious what team you consider for the 2nd best by whatever standard YOU choose.

Superbowl wins

Regular season wins

Great coaches, players and rivalries.

etc.

For me #2 is the Cowboys.

A very good and not so easy question to answer! The Steelers are the best team since the AFL-NFL merger winning the most super bowls.

2nd best could be Dallas, San Fransisco, or New England.

I'd lean toward New England being the second best, though cheating taints their legacy somewhat.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I guess going back to the original question ... you've basically got three eras of football in the last 50 years.

The "original" era, where men were men and everyone just went out and played the game and the best team won, but it was actually modern football, not semi-pro rugby.

Then the "evolved" era of the 80s and 90s where teams started looking at every angle that could give them an edge - contract stuff, new schemes, specialization (this is the first time you started seeing 300-pound linemen, etc.) ... I firmly believe this is where you would find the best teams of all-time; the top several teams of that era would probably beat the best from any other era hands-down.

Then the salary-cap era, where your skill at navigating the surrounding rules dictate much more about your team's capabilities than simply finding talented players. Definitely a lower skill-cap and higher skill-floor era. So you have:

Steelers:
    - Dominant in original era
    - Competitive in evolved era
    - Great in salary-cap era

Cowboys:
    - Great, maybe dominant in original era
    - Dominant in evolved era
    - Destroyed by salary cap

49ers:
    - Sucked in original era

Packers:
    - Great in original era
    - Sucked in evolved era
    - Revived by salary cap

Raiders:
    - Great in original era

Giants:
    - Mediocre in original era
    - Great in evolved era, almost dominant
    - Competitive, almost great in salary cap era

Patriots:
    - Sucked in original era
    - Sucked in evolved era
    - Created by the salary cap

So I guess I'd have to revise my list to have the Cowboys #2, and then pick whoever you want from 3-6. Over 50 years, the 49ers definitely had less success than almost all of those teams, really just one lengthy run. But they clearly had a better run than the Patriots and were the superior football team head-to-head. So if we're including teams with one big run of glory and 30 years of sucking, New England would be #7 at best.

I guess you could throw a couple other teams up there in the mix, like Denver (I was surprised how few losing seasons they've had) or Washington, but they are not really who I think of when I think about "best in the past 50 years."
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Looking at the SB era as a whole, there's only a 5-6 year period in the 80s when anyone can say the Steelers were bad. Some down seasons but not bad teams. Every other team has had some very bad teams over extended periods.
    Steelers are #1. The rest can fight and argue over who's 2nd. I don't really care.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The Patriots was so bad in the late 1980s and early 1990s that their stadium was empty....

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Looking at the SB era as a whole, there's only a 5-6 year period in the 80s when anyone can say the Steelers were bad. Some down seasons but not bad teams. Every other team has had some very bad teams over extended periods.
    Steelers are #1. The rest can fight and argue over who's 2nd. I don't really care.

That's almost 100% correct, although looking through some overall team records, I was surprised to see that the Broncos have only had a handful of non-competitive seasons since the merger, and no back-to-back losing seasons since 1972.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/

Obviously they haven't had as much success at their peak as the top teams did - but as far as long-term stability it's a pretty remarkable record. In general though, you're exactly right; even the teams that have dominated the league at times have flat-out sucked for long stretches.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    That's almost 100% correct, although looking through some overall team records, I was surprised to see that the Broncos have only had a handful of non-competitive seasons since the merger, and no back-to-back losing seasons since 1972.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/

Obviously they haven't had as much success at their peak as the top teams did - but as far as long-term stability it's a pretty remarkable record. In general though, you're exactly right; even the teams that have dominated the league at times have flat-out sucked for long stretches.
    The Broncos are very underrated....Since the Broncos have Pat Bowlen as owner, the Broncos have more super bowl appearance than losing season.

Bowlen would have deserved to be in the HOF before Jerry Jones.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The Patriots was so bad in the late 1980s and early 1990s that their stadium was empty....
    I actually heard in the early 90s they considered moving the team to St. Louis, there was so little interest in the team

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I guess going back to the original question ... you've basically got three eras of football in the last 50 years.

The "original" era, where men were men and everyone just went out and played the game and the best team won, but it was actually modern football, not semi-pro rugby.

Then the "evolved" era of the 80s and 90s where teams started looking at every angle that could give them an edge - contract stuff, new schemes, specialization (this is the first time you started seeing 300-pound linemen, etc.) ... I firmly believe this is where you would find the best teams of all-time; the top several teams of that era would probably beat the best from any other era hands-down.

Then the salary-cap era, where your skill at navigating the surrounding rules dictate much more about your team's capabilities than simply finding talented players. Definitely a lower skill-cap and higher skill-floor era. So you have:

Steelers:
    - Dominant in original era
    - Great in salary-cap era

Cowboys:
    - Great, maybe dominant in original era

49ers:
    - Sucked in original era

Packers:
    - Great in original era
    - Sucked in evolved era
    - Revived by salary cap

Raiders:
    - Great in original era

Giants:
    - Mediocre in original era
    - Great in evolved era, almost dominant
    - Competitive, almost great in salary cap era

Patriots:
    - Sucked in original era
    - Sucked in evolved era
    - Created by the salary cap

So I guess I'd have to revise my list to have the Cowboys #2, and then pick whoever you want from 3-6. Over 50 years, the 49ers definitely had less success than almost all of those teams, really just one lengthy run. But they clearly had a better run than the Patriots and were the superior football team head-to-head. So if we're including teams with one big run of glory and 30 years of sucking, New England would be #7 at best.

I guess you could throw a couple other teams up there in the mix, like Denver (I was surprised how few losing seasons they've had) or Washington, but they are not really who I think of when I think about "best in the past 50 years."
    I would place Oakland behind New England actually. The Raiders were dominant from 67-85, but they haven't had a lot of success since. Since 1986, they have only been to the postseason 7 times. They have made only 1 Super Bowl appearance and lost, and they haven't even won a road playoff game since 1980.

I also think San Fran is getting a bad rap. They had some success outside of the 80s. The 90s they were as good as any team to win 1 Super Bowl in a decade, averaging 12 wins from 90-98, 5 NFC Championship appearances and 1 Super Bowl win, that was a great team. Outside of those decades, they're running thin on success, but 70-72 with John Brodie they won the NFC West 3 straight years losing the NFC Championship game to the great Dallas teams of the 70s in 70 and 71. Then there was that recent run in the early part of this decade with 3 straight NFC Championship appearances and a Super Bowl appearance. It's a shame that Jim Harbaugh and the moronic Trent Baalke were assholes that couldn't get along

BostonBlackie

The Patriots’ Place in History

Is the New England dynasty of Bill Belichick and Tom Brady the best in football history? Evaluating how these Patriots stack up against other teams in the running for the title of greatest ever

It will take a while, and some reflection, to put these New England Patriots into historical perspective. The NFL has been around for 97 years, through several eras and leagues, and so there’s no definitive statement to make about where the Patriots rank with the greatest teams of all time—except to say that they’re absolutely in the discussion.

The MMQB looked at the best teams in league history over at least a 12-year period, and here were the interesting findings about where the Patriots of 2001 to 2016 rank with them:

• New England’s regular-season winning percentage of .766 over these 16 seasons is the best of any team in league history in a span of at least 12 years.
    • New England has won 14 division titles in those 16 seasons, the highest rate of division/conference titles won by a franchise over that span.
    • Including playoff games, no team over a long term has averaged as many wins as New England, 13.8, in a season. That, of course, is helped by the fact that playoffs have expanded. But it’s still an impressive number. The Patriots’ 13.8 wins is a full win better, on average, than San Francisco’s 12.7 wins from 1981 to 1998.
    • What makes the long-term greatness of the Patriots unique in league history is that the same coach, Bill Belichick, and quarterback, Tom Brady, have led the team in every season of their 16-year run … and there’s no sign either is going to step away soon. No other coach-quarterback pair has been together for such a length of great play, and that longevity is particularly impressive considering the rate of coaching changes today.

Every year we think the Patriots must be close to the end. Belichick turns 65 in April; he’s said nothing about his future plans, but no one thinks his departure from football
    will come soon. Watch him on the sideline. Do you ever see stress? You don’t. Maybe there is inside, but the game doesn’t seem to eat him up the way it has others. Bill Walsh retired at 57 after having been talked out of quitting a couple of times in the years before that, and he never returned to the sidelines. Belichick has coached in the NFL for 42 seasons. It’s just hard to see him, at least soon, do anything else.

Tom Brady turns 40 in August, which means his last football game in his 30s was quite possibly the best in his life—the 34-28 overtime win in Super Bowl LI against Atlanta, rebounding from a 25-point second-half deficit. He has always said (and repeated recently) that he intends to play football into his 40s. Why quit? At 39, Brady had his second-highest passer rating ever, and his touchdown-to-interception differential this season, 35-to-5, was better than Joe Montana had at any age.

That’s the amazing part of this great run. Never do you hear either of these cornerstones talk about being weary of the game, or longing to do something else. Which means the challenge by the Patriots to the legacies of the other great long-term teams of all time will continue.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/09/best-nfl-dynasty-ever-new-england-patriots-cleveland-browns-san-francisco-49ers

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

The Patriots’ Place in History

Is the New England dynasty of Bill Belichick and Tom Brady the best in football history? Evaluating how these Patriots stack up against other teams in the running for the title of greatest ever

It will take a while, and some reflection, to put these New England Patriots into historical perspective. The NFL has been around for 97 years, through several eras and leagues, and so there’s no definitive statement to make about where the Patriots rank with the greatest teams of all time—except to say that they’re absolutely in the discussion.

The MMQB looked at the best teams in league history over at least a 12-year period, and here were the interesting findings about where the Patriots of 2001 to 2016 rank with them:

• New England’s regular-season winning percentage of .766 over these 16 seasons is the best of any team in league history in a span of at least 12 years.
    • New England has won 14 division titles in those 16 seasons, the highest rate of division/conference titles won by a franchise over that span.
    • Including playoff games, no team over a long term has averaged as many wins as New England, 13.8, in a season. That, of course, is helped by the fact that playoffs have expanded. But it’s still an impressive number. The Patriots’ 13.8 wins is a full win better, on average, than San Francisco’s 12.7 wins from 1981 to 1998.
    • What makes the long-term greatness of the Patriots unique in league history is that the same coach, Bill Belichick, and quarterback, Tom Brady, have led the team in every season of their 16-year run … and there’s no sign either is going to step away soon. No other coach-quarterback pair has been together for such a length of great play, and that longevity is particularly impressive considering the rate of coaching changes today.

Every year we think the Patriots must be close to the end. Belichick turns 65 in April; he’s said nothing about his future plans, but no one thinks his departure from football
    will come soon. Watch him on the sideline. Do you ever see stress? You don’t. Maybe there is inside, but the game doesn’t seem to eat him up the way it has others. Bill Walsh retired at 57 after having been talked out of quitting a couple of times in the years before that, and he never returned to the sidelines. Belichick has coached in the NFL for 42 seasons. It’s just hard to see him, at least soon, do anything else.

Tom Brady turns 40 in August, which means his last football game in his 30s was quite possibly the best in his life—the 34-28 overtime win in Super Bowl LI against Atlanta, rebounding from a 25-point second-half deficit. He has always said (and repeated recently) that he intends to play football into his 40s. Why quit? At 39, Brady had his second-highest passer rating ever, and his touchdown-to-interception differential this season, 35-to-5, was better than Joe Montana had at any age.

That’s the amazing part of this great run. Never do you hear either of these cornerstones talk about being weary of the game, or longing to do something else. Which means the challenge by the Patriots to the legacies of the other great long-term teams of all time will continue.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/09/best-nfl-dynasty-ever-new-england-patriots-cleveland-browns-san-francisco-49ers
    Repeat to me the name of this thread!!! I swore I wasn't going to get dragged into this person's idiocy, but he got smoked by BengalGirl and had to stick with AFC north comrades.

BostonBlackie

Team Period Win Pct.
    New England 2001-16 .766
    Chicago 1932-50 .751
    San Francisco 1981-98 .747
    Cleveland 1946-69 .746
    Green Bay 1929-44 .742
    Oakland 1967-85 .733
    Dallas 1966-85 .731
    Pittsburgh 1972-84 .690
    Green Bay 1960-72 .664

BostonBlackie

BTW, when talking the best team in the history of the NFL, Pittsburgh isn't even in the discussion.

BostonBlackie

The Patriots Are The NFL’s Greatest Dynasty

BEST DYNASTY SECOND-BEST THIRD-BEST
    # OF YEARS TEAM AVG. ELO TEAM AVG. ELO TEAM AVG. ELO
    1 Patriots2007 1824 Patriots2004 1816 Bears1985 1796
    2 Cowboys1992-93 1786 Patriots2003-04 1782 Dolphins1972-73 1779
    3 Cowboys1992-94 1759 Dolphins1972-74 1751 Steelers1974-76 1743
    4 Cowboys1992-95 1751 Patriots2004-07 1747 49ers1989-92 1734
    5 Patriots2003-07 1747 Steelers1975-79 1727 49ers1988-92 1725
    6 Patriots2003-08 1732 49ers1989-94 1727 Steelers1974-79 1726
    7 49ers1988-94 1722 Patriots2003-09 1713 Patriots2010-16 1713
    8 49ers1987-94 1718 Patriots2003-10 1713 Steelers1972-79 1700
    9 Patriots2003-11 1715 49ers1987-95 1715 Steelers1972-80 1689
    10 Patriots2003-12 1714 49ers1987-96 1709 Steelers1972-81 1677
    11 49ers1984-94 1712 Patriots2003-13 1711 Cowboys1971-81 1671
    12 Patriots2003-14 1714 49ers1984-95 1710 Cowboys1970-81 1670
    13 Patriots2004-16 1710 49ers1984-96 1706 Cowboys1970-82 1667
    14 Patriots2003-16 1713 49ers1984-97 1700 Cowboys1970-83 1663
    15 Patriots2002-16 1702 49ers1984-98 1697 Cowboys1970-84 1655
    16 Patriots2001-16 1700 49ers1983-98 1692 Cowboys1970-85 1647
    17 49ers1981-97 1685 Patriots2000-16 1684 Cowboys1970-86 1637
    18 49ers1981-98 1683 Patriots1999-2016 1673 Cowboys1970-87 1628
    19 49ers1980-98 1666 Patriots1998-2016 1665 Packers1994-2012 1617
    20 Patriots1997-2016 1662 49ers1981-2000 1654 Packers1995-2014 1614
    21 Patriots1996-2016 1660 49ers1981-2001 1651 Packers1995-2015 1614
    22 Patriots1995-2016 1650 49ers1981-2002 1645 Packers1995-2016 1615
    23 Patriots1994-2016 1646 49ers1981-2003 1639 Packers1994-2016 1614
    24 Patriots1993-2016 1635 49ers1980-2003 1628 Packers1993-2016 1611
    25 Patriots1992-2016 1621 49ers1980-2004 1615 Cowboys1971-95 1611

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...atest-dynasty/

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

BTW, when talking the best team in the history of the NFL, Pittsburgh isn't even in the discussion.
    That would be either the NYGiants or Packers.

But, that's a different discussion.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

This is a helluva a top 5 teams in the last 50 years.

I am wondering if we have jumped into number 1 in the last year?

We are only 3 points behind the Cowboys.

I am sure if you use different criteria (besides ignoring 35 of the last 50 years) that you might have slightly different results.

Here is the CBS Sports 2015 ranking of the top nfl teams of the superbowl era.

1. Dallas Cowboys (164 points)

2. Pittsburgh Steelers (161 points)

3. San Francisco 49ers (129 points)

4. Oakland Raiders (126 points)

5. Green Bay Packers (124 points)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/th...uper-bowl-era/
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The Patriots Are The NFL’s Greatest Dynasty
    Yes, I'd agree/I've also mentioned: the past 16 years are phenomenal...

...but, again, that's a different discussion.

Too much to reply to. Some thoughts...

1) Somehow this thread got tangented into who had the better dynasty (70s Steelers, 80s Niners, current Tapes). That's a whole different discussion.

2. I think some of us are slighting the accomplishments of the Taperiots over the past 16 years. It doesn't mean they're the "best" for the past 50 years, but what they've done over the past two decades shouldn't be ignored.

3) Some reeeally good points were made. It had me re-look at a lot of factors... and simply, we need to establish the criteria for "best ever (and/or "second best ever").
    --SuperBowl victories
    --SuperBowl appearances
    --playoff wins
    --playoff games played
    --playoff winning percentage
    --division titles
    --playoff berths
    --winning seasons
    --overall winning percentage

SUPERBOWL VICTORIES:
    6 Steelers
    5 Cowboys, Niners, Taperiots

SUPERBOWL APPEARANCES:
    9 Taperiots
    8 Steelers, Cowboys, Broncos

PLAYOFF WINS:
    33 Steelers, Cowboys
    30 Niners
    25 Raidahs
    24 Taperiots
    23 Packers

PLAYOFF GAMES PLAYED:
    58 Cowboys
    53 Steelers
    49 Niners

PLAYOFF WINNING PERCENTAGE :
    .652 Ravens
    .645 NYGiants
    .612 Niners
    .609 Taperiots
    .607 Steelers

I got tired of looking up stats (for division titles, playoff berths, winning seasons, overall winning percentage)...

BostonBlackie

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Too much to reply to. Some thoughts...

1) Somehow this thread got tangented into who had the better dynasty (70s Steelers, 80s Niners, current Tapes). That's a whole different discussion.

2. I think some of us are slighting the accomplishments of the Taperiots over the past 16 years. It doesn't mean they're the "best" for the past 50 years, but what they've done over the past two decades shouldn't be ignored.

3) Some reeeally good points were made. It had me re-look at a lot of factors... and simply, we need to establish the criteria for "best ever (and/or "second best ever").
    --SuperBowl victories
    --SuperBowl appearances
    --playoff wins
    --playoff games played
    --playoff winning percentage
    --division titles
    --playoff berths
    --winning seasons
    --overall winning percentage

SUPERBOWL VICTORIES:
    6 Steelers
    5 Cowboys, Niners, Taperiots

SUPERBOWL APPEARANCES:
    9 Taperiots
    8 Steelers, Cowboys, Broncos

PLAYOFF WINS:
    33 Steelers, Cowboys
    30 Niners
    25 Raidahs
    24 Taperiots
    23 Packers

PLAYOFF GAMES PLAYED:
    58 Cowboys
    53 Steelers
    49 Niners

PLAYOFF WINNING PERCENTAGE :
    .652 Ravens
    .645 NYGiants
    .612 Niners
    .609 Taperiots
    .607 Steelers

I got tired of looking up stats (for division titles, playoff berths, winning seasons, overall winning percentage)...
    good post

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    That would be either the NYGiants or Packers.

But, that's a different discussion.
    Yes, probably is. I'm just making sure the Patriots get a fair shake here.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

There is nothing greater to behold than a fan of the Patriots acting like the NFL has only existed for 16 years.

Let's recap for the troll:

The most racist sports city in the USA by a mile....Check

A 16 year run that has been tainted by cheating that has been proven, and is THE most consistent thing about the team.....Check

Playing in an historically bad division with the gold standard of ineptitude to boost their winning percentage and "greatness"......Check

A fan base that has no historical perspective and is filled with more bandwagon jumpers than all other franchises combined over the last 16 years.....Check

Most of these bandwagon jumpers and great NFL minds need to have it explained to them who Steve Grogan was..........Check (You can start Googling now)

Without a doubt the biggest douchebag fans in sports..........Check

The franchise most likely to lose half of their fans once they stop winning and never be heard from again.........Check

Go away.

What a fucking loser.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    There is nothing greater to behold than a fan of the Patriots acting like the NFL has only existed for 16 years.

A 16 year run that has been tainted by cheating that has been proven, and is THE most consistent thing about the team.....Check

Playing in an historically bad division with the gold standard of ineptitude to boost their winning percentage and "greatness"......Check

A fan base that has no historical perspective and is filled with more bandwagon jumpers than all other franchises combined over the last 16 years.....Check

Most of these bandwagon jumpers and great NFL minds need to have it explained to them who Steve Grogan was..........Check (You can start Googling now)

The franchise most likely to lose half of their fans once they stop winning and never be heard from again.........Check

Go away.

What a fucking loser.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

This moron and all the other Brady/Bellicheat groupies are pounding their collective fists now about how great this franchise is, but everyone knows that once Bellichick and Brady retire and this team falls back into mediocrity, if Dallas becomes and remains a perennial Super Bowl contender by then, they'll hop on/return to (depending on age) the Cowboys bandwagon. If not, they will just claim whatever team happens to be the current defending Super Bowl champions and that stadium will be empty just like it was before Brady and Bellicheat arrived

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post

Go away.

What a fucking loser.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

To our resident Pats fan, are you being willfully ignorant? Several of the dynasties you posted occur outside of the period up for debate (1966-2016 or there about) and it isn't a matter of having the best run for a portion of that period but over the entire period.

16 years of awesome doesn't totally counteract 34 years of truly awful. The Pats spent much of their franchise history being Browns and Jags level of inept. Until this recent run we are talking about Grogan and Andre Tippett being the best the Pats had to offer.

The last decade and a half puts the Pats in the conversation. But ultimately I think they lose out to one or more of the Cowboys, Steelers, Raiders, Packers, Giants, or Broncos.

If the Pats have a strong run of post Brady success, they may overtake everyone else.

Again, guys, don't feed the troll. It's obvious to anyone where the Patriots' real place is, but like their typical dickhead fan, he just wants to stir up shit. More proof that the team might stop losing, but you can't take the loser out of the fan base. This is nothing special to see.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

BostonBlackie

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Until this recent run we are talking about Grogan and Andre Tippett being the best the Pats had to offer.
    Not really. More like John Hannah, and Mike Haynes.

- - - Updated - - -

Not really. More like John Hannah, and Mike Haynes.

Prior to 1994, the Pats had about 12 winning seasons in 34 years. That is not good. So the point still holds.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Wasn't Mike Haynes a Raider?