Thread: UPDATE: Bell not at Steelers minicamp

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

UPDATE: Bell not at Steelers minicamp

Le'Veon Bell is recovering from groin surgery and is not under contract.

Those two reasons -- particularly the second -- could keep Bell out of Pittsburgh Steelers minicamp, which begins Tuesday.

He has the option to be with his team, and no doubt the Steelers wouldn't mind having him around. But NFLPA records confirm Bell has not signed his franchise tender. That's not unusual for players looking for long-term deals before the July 15 deadline for franchised players. It also absolves him from attending. He can't be fined since he's not technically a member of the Steelers.

Having the luxury of staying away is the only negotiating ploy a franchise player has...........

Read more @ http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-...because-he-can

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Re: UPDATE: Bell not at minicamp

UPDATE:

Le'Veon Bell not at Pittsburgh Steelers minicamp

Le'Veon Bell is not at Pittsburgh Steelers minicamp.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported that the running back wasn't spotted at camp on Tuesday, the first of the three-day session, which is mandatory for all players under contract.

Bell hasn't signed his franchise tender, is therefore not currently under contract and can't be fined for missing mandatory minicamp.
    The 25-year-old skipping camp doesn't come as a surprise..............

Read more @ http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...gn=Twitter_atn

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: UPDATE: Bell not at Steelers minicamp

Dude ... you're not going to get a blockbuster contract until you can go a full season without being suspended for weed.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Dude ... you're not going to get a blockbuster contract until you can go a full season without being suspended for weed.
    ...as well as making it through a full season healthy...

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Waste of money for what he is going to want. Not easily replaced, but replaceable. Stupid to sign him to a long term deal. Should have tried to trade him.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    ...as well as making it through a full season healthy...
    Indeed!

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Sorry, bud. You're good, no doubt, but you're only hurting yourself by not being there.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

A deal will get done, not really worried about that.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    A deal will get done, not really worried about that.
    I'm not worried, either.

While his off the field issues are one thing, I can't really fault him for the games missed due to the way he received his injuries. I'm sure both Tomlin and the FO knows what is glaringly obvious....we are a significantly better team when he is on the field.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    I'm not worried, either.

While his off the field issues are one thing, I can't really fault him for the games missed due to the way he received his injuries. I'm sure both Tomlin and the FO knows what is glaringly obvious....we are a significantly better team when he is on the field.
    Yep, and the Steelers never let great young players go.

Like you basically said, he's a big part of this team. If we want to compete for a Super Bowl, #26 needs to be here, and I'm sure the Steelers know this.

On his injuries, didn't stop them giving Pouncey a big contract...

The team is in a great cap situation, I expect Bell, Big Al, and Tuitt to get new deals.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Indeed!
    However, to be completely fair, he's been an absolute workhorse when he has been healthy. The coaching staff has to start being smarter about the number of reps Bell gets over the course of the season, even though it's tempting to keep him out there all the time because he's so good at everything (running, receiving and blocking).

BurghBoy412

Not surprising or alarming.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

With Bell on the field the Steelers are a superbowl contender. PERIOD!

Without Bell on the field the Steelers have been very one dimensional on offense, and therefore, average.

Bell is a difference maker for this team. I do agree with the assessment some of you have. He has been hurt and/or suspended every season and missed games. BUT, when on the field, we are exponentially better as a team. I think he gets his new contract.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

No. You're wrong.

He's a bum for not showing up...............................