Thread: Former No. 1 pick Heyward likes what he sees from No. 1 pick Watt.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Former No. 1 pick Heyward likes what he sees from No. 1 pick Watt.

OTAs are an introductory process as much as anything else, an opportunity for rookies to show veterans exactly where it is they’re coming from in their transition into the NFL.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...e-99af9815ef0f

Re: Former No. 1 pick Heyward likes what he sees from No. 1 pick Watt.

Here's hoping he works out. Like I said in previous threads, I was excited when we first got him, then I watched tape and grew pretty doubtful based on what I saw. I can say that I heard some good things since, things I was worried about that both prove I might have been right, but also that he knew those were weaknesses and has been working on them (mainly, strength and burst).

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Can he sack the QB? My gut feeling is he will struggle to get to the QB. If he fails at OLB they could try him at ILB.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    they could try him at ILB.
    When he was drafted, I had that thought (not that Watt would fail at OLB, but that he could/might play ILB).

Can he sack the QB? My gut feeling is he will struggle to get to the QB. If he fails at OLB they could try him at ILB.
    That's my big concern as well. But as I said previously, it seems he's putting forth the effort to get stronger, which will greatly improve in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    That's my big concern as well. But as I said previously, it seems he's putting forth the effort to get stronger, which will greatly improve in that area.
    I haven't hear anything on whether or not he is working out to get stronger. That's good news that he is putting in at the weight room. That's something Jarvis Jones refused to do.

My fear is Watt will get locked up too easily and too often. I think he could play ILB if he doesn't work out at OLB. He has the speed/agility and intelligence to succeed in the middle, or so it seems.

Something needs to happen next season. Harrison isn't what he used to be. Someone needs to step up and demand double-teams. I foresee Chickillo and Watt as the immediate backups.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Did you see his results last season in the big ten. Heck yes he can sack the QB. He can also play the run, and deflect passes. Tj is just scratching the surface of what he's capable of.

He's not an athletic reject either, he was a combine leader in many areas for the linebackers.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I haven't hear anything on whether or not he is working out to get stronger. That's good news that he is putting in at the weight room. That's something Jarvis Jones refused to do.

My fear is Watt will get locked up too easily and too often. I think he could play ILB if he doesn't work out at OLB. He has the speed/agility and intelligence to succeed in the middle, or so it seems.

Something needs to happen next season. Harrison isn't what he used to be. Someone needs to step up and demand double-teams. I foresee Chickillo and Watt as the immediate backups.
    How can you be so down on Watt but so up on Chickillo? Chickillo is your fears about Watt come to life and he's been on an NFL team for a few cycles now.

For me, the key to the OLB position is Dupree. Either he is the guy and their fine or he isn't and their screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    How can you be so down on Watt but so up on Chickillo? Chickillo is your fears about Watt come to life and he's been on an NFL team for a few cycles now.

For me, the key to the OLB position is Dupree. Either he is the guy and their fine or he isn't and their screwed.
    Is Chickillo even in the equation? Chickillo isn't a first round pick. If Chickillo was a first round pick I would be disappointed right now. I am not writing off Watt, but my gut feeling is he will struggle disengaging linemen. In college he showed he can be locked up by TEs. It all remains to be seen. Obviously I hope he is a terror on the field. They can't keep relying on Harrison to do it all.

I feel the same about Dupree too. If he shows nothing this year the Steelers will again have to draft an OLB in the first round.
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Did you see his results last season in the big ten. Heck yes he can sack the QB. He can also play the run, and deflect passes. Tj is just scratching the surface of what he's capable of.

He's not an athletic reject either, he was a combine leader in many areas for the linebackers.
    That was college. The NFL is totally different. Did you see Jarvis Jones, Huey Richardson, Aundray Bruce, Eric Curry, Trev Alberts, Vernon Gholston etc...? They put up sack numbers in the NCAA, but flopped in the NFL.

Being a combine leader does not mean success in the NFL. Do you remember Tony Mandarich, Mike Mamula, Vernon Gholston, Matt Jones, Heyward-Bey, Bruce Campbell, Adam Archuleta, Aaron Curry?

I don't see any issues with his athleticism/pass coverage/intelligence. My concern is his ability to get to the QB on his own. Can he do it in the NFL? It remains to be seen. I am of course pulling for him to be the next Harrison/Lloyd.
    Hater = Realist