Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strength and Weakness of Mike Tomlin after 10 seasons?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Strength and Weakness of Mike Tomlin after 10 seasons?

What are the strengths and weaknesses of Mike Tomlin after 10 seasons with steelers?

I mean, the things you're happy about Tomlin and the things you'll like that Tomlin gets better.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Strength and Weakness of Mike Tomlin after 10 seasons?

Strengths:

Cool Shades
    A Walking Meme
    Talent Acqusition
    Team Building
    Excellent Home Coach
    Building O-Line (Grabbing Mike Munchak)

Weaknesses:

Bad Injury Luck.
    X's and O's
    Losses to crappy teams.
    Recent Road Woes.
    Slight Underachievement.

The Steelers have a team that potentially win 13-14 games, but due to bad losses and horrid luck with injuries, they only win 10-11 games, costing them a higher seed and potentially a bye in the postseason.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Strengths:
    Overcoming adversity
    Building a talented team
    No losing seasons
    Great motivator
    Advancing deep in the playoffs with a young team

Weaknesses:
    Too many losses to bad teams
    In-game adjustments
    Sticks with garbage players for too long

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Want to blame someone for the losses to bad teams? look no further than your starting QB.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Strengths: demands a "team-first" mentality from his players
    great motivator
    emphasizes physical football as a way to win
    his teams don't give up
    bonafide wordsmith

Weaknesses: losses to clearly inferior teams
    weak at making adjustments/X's and O's in game
    too aggressive/stubborn in going for 2 point conversions (especially when the first one fails)
    clock management (but getting better)

Overcoming adversity
    This. His coaching job for the 2013 season was the stuff of the greats. To pull that talent-deficient team together to the doorstep of the playoffs after that disastrous start was fantastic. If Ryan Suck Up doesn't miss that kick, It would've been one of the greatest Steelers stories of our generation.

I was all the more willing to let that season tank, but Tomlin didn't.

The miss kick by the kicker of the chiefs is one of the most painful moments I have seen.

2010 and 2015 were also excellent coaching job (if we exclude the situation of Blake in 2015) because his two teams had a lot of injury and suspension, but they never gave up.

For the negative side, the 2009 season and the game against Tebow in 2011 are the two biggest black spots of Tomlin.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

In before this devolves into a fire Tomlin thread. If the Rooneys love him, so do I. All coaches have strengths and deficiencies. All I care about is championships and this team year in and year out is in contention for championships.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    In before this devolves into a fire Tomlin thread. If the Rooneys love him, so do I. All coaches have strengths and deficiencies. All I care about is championships and this team year in and year out is in contention for championships.

This is not my goal.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    This is not my goal.
    I understand that and respect what you're thread is really about, but these threads always devolve to the lowest common denominator. Keep up the good posting PB. :-)

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The miss kick by the kicker of the chiefs is one of the most painful moments I have seen.
    Indeed

At that point in time, my wife was still a Chargers fan (she bleeds black & gold now). I wrote an editorial (which is now lost) over at SF about sitting on the couch next to her during that game.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Tomlin as head coach took over a super bowl team, stacked with Bill Cowher players in their primes, many of whom were pro bowl players and leaders.

He got to work with Kevin Colbert an excellent GM/draft person, hired by the Steelers before Tomlin, and Ben Roethlisberger, who will end up as a Hall of Fame quarterback. If there's a better owner than Rooney, I do not know his name. This foundation is a head coach's dream. I honestly believe without Ben or Colbert he would not have lasted this long.

Strengths:

Great with the media. A wordsmith, who can take some pressure off the players.

Seems to be able to keep his focus through the ups and downs of an NFL season whether they are injuries, suspensions, or unfair NFL related decisions. Players pick up on this

Has built a culture of a team, a player's coach. Players enjoy being here.

A believer in playing physical football, which I think rubs off on his team.

Youth. He's in his prime for a head coach far from old.

Weaknesses:

Not an X's and O's type of coach. Relies heavily on his coordinators such as HOF coach Dick LeBeau who prefer a 3-4, while Tomlins's specialty was supposed to be a 4-3 cover 2. The secondary has been average for years under Tomlin, and until recently has not been fixed. The best coaches take a part of the game and add their own specialty to it. Tomlin has never done this.

A poor clock management coach, in terms of managing his timeouts. The Steelers should hire a math/clock management guy to do this, yes--I'm serious.

Unable to make half time adjustments.

Too much of a gambler, who kicks when he should go for it and goes for it when he should kick.

A horrible track record of losing to inferior teams. This above all else needs to stop. It's about preparation and keeping the players focus on easier games.

Mediocre in the playoffs was 0-4 in his last playoffs until last season.

A bad history of dealing with injured players and not lighting the load of key dinged up players when needed it. Tomlin prefers to let a player play rather than rest him while injured. These type of gambles have come back to bite us a few time.s

Unable to steer poor character players. Some coaches can, others can't. We have too many failed drug test types and suspensions, more than more teams in the NFL.

A lack of a plan B at quarterback. He's been very lucky here.

Has developed a reputation that precedes him with the officials.

Never takes full responsibility for a loss.

Tomlin as head coach took over a super bowl team, stacked with Bill Cowher players in their primes, many of whom were pro bowl players and leaders.
    Not defending Tomlin, but that is simply wrong. Mike Tomlin took over an 8-8 team with a young Quarterback coming off a season where he led the league in interceptions, and facing several question marks regarding his motorcycle accident a year earlier.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Strength: Overcomes adversity well.
    Weakness: Uses the word 'obviously' too much. Obviously.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Not defending Tomlin, but that is simply wrong. Mike Tomlin took over an 8-8 team with a young Quarterback coming off a season where he led the league in interceptions, and facing several question marks regarding his motorcycle accident a year earlier.
    An 8-8 team that won the super bowl 2 seasons ago with something to prove, several pro bowl players in their primes, a few likely hall of fame players on the roster, and an easier 8-8 schedule. Yep.

In the playoffs players ripped Tomlin as they were beaten up because of too many full contact practices. Max Starks had a very honest take, saying they lost to the Jaguars because a rookie head coach wore his own team down.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Tomlin has lots of energy, but he likes to be pals instead of the HC sometimes. The team often lacks discipline and is frequently off to slow starts putting them in holes and low seeds. Tomlin also out thinks himself at times and then gets caught going in circles while digging a deeper hole.

Yes, he is better than most coaches, but he ain't no Chuck Noll- who is?
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

He's been a mostly successful coach, I wont say he's great, but in the end he could come off that way. I could blab on and give you the pro's and cons, but that's mostly been covered. In the end it comes down to this. His one glaring weakness is that Bellichick more or less owns him. If he ever wants to be considered truly great he has to beat Bellichick on even terms. ( 08 Patriots didn't have Brady, and in 10 Jets took them out) This year should afford him a great chance. The game's in Pittsburgh. He's got to beat the Patriots to assure a potential playoff game is in Pittsburgh as well. If he could beat Bellichick and Brady both in the regular season and in the playoffs in the same season you could start measuring his bust for Canton.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Tomlin could beat the Pats and then lose to Jacksonville and the Browns back-to-back.
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    An 8-8 team that won the super bowl 2 seasons ago with something to prove, several pro bowl players in their primes, a few likely hall of fame players on the roster, and an easier 8-8 schedule. Yep.

In the playoffs players ripped Tomlin as they were beaten up because of too many full contact practices. Max Starks had a very honest take, saying they lost to the Jaguars because a rookie head coach wore his own team down.
    An 8-8 team with an O line that was headed into the crapper without any serviceable backups, perhaps their best linebacker jumping ship (or talking his way off the ship), and their best O-line player literally working against the coaching staff when he was on the field because he was pissed off Wisenhut didn't get the position.

Yes, Tomlin made a rookie mistake and worked them too hard. What many people forget is that he learned from his mistake. Note how many players, especially veterans are forced to take days off during camp now.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

10 years. 5 division championships. 7 playoff appearances. 2 AFCCGs. 1 SB championship. 0 losing seasons. .644 win %.

Strengths? Damn good coach.

Weaknesses? Missed the playoffs 3 times.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Yes, Tomlin made a rookie mistake and worked them too hard. What many people forget is that he learned from his mistake. Note how many players, especially veterans are forced to take days off during camp now.
    And how many fans nowadays refer to Steelers TC as "Camp Cupcake."

Is Tomlin the best? Nope. Is he better than most of the coaches in the league at the moment? Absolutely.

What I really want to see is how he compensates for Ben's retirement, which is more than likely coming fairly soon.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Weaknesses? Missed the playoffs 3 times.
    And, in each of those three seasons, it came down to the final weekend... specifically, Succop missing a gimme FG.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    And, in each of those three seasons, it came down to the final weekend... specifically, Succop missing a gimme FG.
    Exactly. I think people honestly believe we would win every single game if we had better coaching. Those other teams in the league are just for show.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

I don't want to be negative, but 2009 was a failure and 2012, the steelers were eliminated after our defeat against the Bengals in week 16.

Still a very good coach.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Weakness: Shorter than Bill Cowher

Judge: "How do you measure yourself with other golfers?"

Ty: "By height."

Bill is closer in the photo, therefore he looks bigger.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Obviously!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I don't subscribe to that Hocus pocus

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Like many have mentioned Tomlin not the best coach but, he is better than most. He gambles a little too much for my liking and, it seems we don't have much of a backup plan after Ben. Still Tomlin is a pretty good coach and, he needs to beat the cheats when it counts hopefully this year in the playoffs.