Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Steelers and Celebrations

Senior Member Array title="StillCurtains is a name known to all">

The Steelers and Celebrations

I think it's good that Roger has lightened up on player celebrations a bit. I know that it's going to be league wide and that many teams will have a full arsenal of them throughout the season. I'm just hoping that this doesn't have a major affect on the Steelers.

We all know how much AB is "pro celebration." He recently made a comment in getting the offensive lineman involved. That's fine. However, I'm hoping that Tomlin addresses the team on this and keeps it under control. It wouldn't be good to have our players getting together using time on choreographing celebrations instead of focusing on winning.

I really would hate to have a "hot dogging" team that only looks for their next opportunity to dance but doesn't have the drive, composure and will to win when games get tight and plays need to be made. Nothing is wrong with having fun, but hopefuly the Steelers can channel it and keep celebrations and the task at hand in it's proper perspective.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Re: The Steelers and Celebrations

I don't want to win the Celebration Bowl, I want to win the Super Bowl.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

I have no problem with the celebrations.I mean, the steelers must score a TD if they want to make a celebrations!...More than the steelers will score a TD, the more they will be able to make celebrations!

This is a win-win situation!

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I have no problem with the celebrations.I mean, the steelers must score a TD if they want to make a celebrations!...More than the steelers will score a TD, the more they will be able to make celebrations!

This is a win-win situation!
    It may be true that you have to score when you celebrate, but if you are in a shootout with New England (most significantly the playoffs) and start celebrating while going up 37-34 with 2:00 to play, then New England gets the game winning TD to make it 41-37, you look foolish!

What I'm saying is in situations like that, it's better to clamp down and stop the celebrating knowing you're in a dogfight and you need to focus on details and be all in. Celebrating should be more reserved after securing a win when the game is on the line.

Also, what good is it to celebrate every chance you get if you are a team that continues to do it but you are on a 3 game losing streak? At what point do you stop celebrating and focus on securing a win? A losing streak should humble you and have you focus on details. Even after finally getting a win after a losing streak, it should cause you to pause and have more of an appreciation for winning than celebrating.

It just goes to show that celebrations are truly not warranted. If you celebrate, it doesn't mean you need to at every opportunity. There are games and even certain parts of games where your focus is more highly required. If not, excessive celebrations can find you truly humbled which will make a team feel what is truly the point anyway?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by StillCurtains View Post
    It may be true that you have to score when you celebrate, but if you are in a shootout with New England (most significantly the playoffs) and start celebrating while going up 37-34 with 2:00 to play, then New England gets the game winning TD to make it 41-37, you look foolish!

What I'm saying is in situations like that, it's better to clamp down and stop the celebrating knowing you're in a dogfight and you need to focus on details and be all in. Celebrating should be more reserved after securing a win when the game is on the line.

Also, what good is it to celebrate every chance you get if you are a team that continues to do it but you are on a 3 game losing streak? At what point do you stop celebrating and focus on securing a win? A losing streak should humble you and have you focus on details. Even after finally getting a win after a losing streak, it should cause you to pause and have more of an appreciation for winning than celebrating.

It just goes to show that celebrations are truly not warranted. If you celebrate, it doesn't mean you need to at every opportunity. There are games and even certain parts of games where you focus is required. If not, excessive celebrations can find you truly humbled which will make a team feel what is truly the point anyway.

I don' think the steelers are idiot.They will only celebrate when this is the time.

At least, I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I don' think the steelers are idiot.They will only celebrate when this is the time.

At least, I hope!
    I hope so too Polamalu! We have a very talented team, but we are also very young! Tomlin is going to have to make this very clear to them.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

NFL teams scored TD's on between 1 out of 3 (the Falcons with the top mark in the league) and a low of about 1 out 8 drives.

With those kind of success rates, I would be celebrating everytime my team scored too.

I can not wrap my head around all the weird lines that fans draw around what is appropriate and what is not.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I was never a big fan of the pre-planned celebration, because except for a few of the most clever ones, they mostly look contrived and dumb. Doesn't mean they should be banned, but what happened to just being excited that you scored and yelling and spiking the ball?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I don't know. It's been how many years since that started? Times change. This is an entire new generation of players.

Plus you can find group celebrations and pre-planned stuff going back to the 70's.

At one time spiking the ball was the height of disrespect. The Lambeau Leap wasn't a thing. Now both are a big "meh" for most fans.

I think THAT is the difference. Celebrations back then seemed to be more based on excitement. Nowadays it seems more me-ism based and showing up the opponent.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I plan to celebrate every 1st down, as well as every score. I will probably celebrate defensive plays and ST plays also. I have been known to celebrate timely penalties that extend our drives, or put us in FG range for game winning kicks.

I refuse to judge others on how they celebrate football.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Who cares when they celebrate...I don't care if Mitchell celebrates every single tackle or step as long as they win. I don't care if he celebrates a loss as long as they win the Super Bowl...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I plan to celebrate every 1st down, as well as every score. I will probably celebrate defensive plays and ST plays also. I have been known to celebrate timely penalties that extend our drives, or put us in FG range for game winning kicks.

I refuse to judge others on how they celebrate football.
    Hahaha, well said. I'm right there with ya celebrating every good thing our boys do.

Last time I checked, Billy White Shoes Johnson played during the classy respect filled old school days and that cat showed up more people than Deion Sanders - https://youtu.be/K0EVm7fi0iQ

Here is a whole 1980's decade of dancing and "look at me" celebrations - https://youtu.be/E8Wop9c_bGU

The Fun Bunch got pretty darn ridiculous.

Everyone is buying this "hot take" driven nonsense that celebrations are about "me first" modern players or some other nonsense written by a moron with no sense of NFL history or perspective.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Is there going to be a time limit on how long a team can celebrate?

Delay of game penalties?

Denver is looking into hiring professional dance choreographers.

Goodell just opened Pandora's Box.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

way too much hoopla about celebrations. if players want to celebrate then power to them, if they don't they don't. I really don't care either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    way too much hoopla about celebrations. if players want to celebrate then power to them, if they don't they don't. I really don't care either way.
    B-b-b-b-b-b-but your avatar...

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Is there going to be a time limit on how long a team can celebrate?

Delay of game penalties?

Denver is looking into hiring professional dance choreographers.

Goodell just opened Pandora's Box.
    Right - like the 9 million television time-outs don't interrupt the flow of the game.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I would rather have Limas Sweed than AB.

Why?

Sweed didn't celebrate anything.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Right - like the 9 million television time-outs don't interrupt the flow of the game.
    They certainly do.

Now there will be more disruptions to the flow of the game.

Time will tell. We'll probably see the new rule "tweaked" after the preseason games are played.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I would rather have Limas Sweed than AB.

Why?

Sweed didn't celebrate anything.
    In full disclosure, I was huge on Sweed. I figured if they could get his depression and confidence under control the sky was the limit for that kid.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    In full disclosure, I was huge on Sweed. I figured if they could get his depression and confidence under control the sky was the limit for that kid.
    Only after watching Sweed play, did I realize that depression was, in fact, contagious.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

I personally don't like the celebration. 'High' five's are okay, jump bumps are okay, but the stupid antics that draw the 15 yarder's are just plain ridiculous. First of all, we don't have the special team to allow giving the EXTRA yards given. Just for an example, AB does one of his stupid shit acts and we give up a 15 yrd penalty on the kick, then with our special team the opponent either fields the ball and runs it back for a TD or returns it midfield ( already in FG range in some cases) ! Some real intelligent field management in my book. Just score a TD like you are getting paid to do, celebrate back at the bench with the rest of your teammates, and move on. Like a baseball player does after a homer. Just my opinion.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

The new celebration measures are a step in the right direction in terms of scaling back Commissioner Asshat's over-regulation of the game just to show everybody how powerful he is. And I don't have to see AB get penalized for a celebration while a non-steeler doesn't get penalized for the exact same celebration

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    The new celebration measures are a step in the right direction in terms of scaling back Commissioner Asshat's over-regulation of the game just to show everybody how powerful he is. And I don't have to see AB get penalized for a celebration while a non-steeler doesn't get penalized for the exact same celebration
    Nope. AB would still get penalized under the new regulations as "sexualized" celebrations still draw a penalty and a fine.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Nope. AB would still get penalized under the new regulations as "sexualized" celebrations still draw a penalty and a fine.
    AB is quite the pole dancer.

THAT IS FUNNY!

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    I don't want to win the Celebration Bowl, I want to win the Super Bowl.
    This.

I hope the players are more worried about the next play than fruity dance steps.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

can't they have fun and play at a high level?
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-