Thread: Is this the season we get more sacks and turnovers on defense?

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Is this the season we get more sacks and turnovers on defense?

I think so. Last season we were +5 in the turnovers department with 38 sacks.

I tend to think with the development of Burns and Davis, combined with a healthy Heyward and Dupree, plus the addition of TJ Watt will create even more turnovers and sacks.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Is this the season we get more sacks and turnovers on defense?

Maybe, but what is the most important is putting constant pressure on the opponents QB and play and being able to play man to man.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I think the QB pressure will come from being able to rotate Tuitt and Heyward in and out more this season so they are not completely worn out come playoffs. Our DLine is going to be the part which helps our OLB rush more than anything this season I think. Losing Heyward was big last season, as long as he and Tuitt stay healthy, Hargraves takes that next step and Alualu can rotate in without much of a drop off they should dominate most OL's which should provide good 1-1 matchups for Dupree and Harrison/Watt to get pressure even faster.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Maybe, but what is the most important is putting constant pressure on the opponents QB and play and being able to play man to man.
    I agree, but with better pressure the coaches might allow the DB's to play more man. The thing that drives me nuts is these 6-9 yard cushions on 2nd or 3rd down with 5 or less yards to go.

Our off man zone will not work without a good pass rush. The better QB's pick it apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    I agree, but with better pressure the coaches might allow the DB's to play more man. The thing that drives me nuts is these 6-9 yard cushions on 2nd or 3rd down with 5 or less yards to go.

Our off man zone will not work without a good pass rush. The better QB's pick it apart.
    Agreed.

It takes both against Brady.

If your pressure is great, but you play the zone(against Brady) behind that, you will be destroyed because Brady throw the ball very quickly....

If you play Man to man, but the pressure is not there, you will also be destroyed.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

A lot of people forget or overlook the fact that Heyward was out for a nice portion. Getting him back will be huge. I don't recall exactly but he wasn't really there at the time Burns and Davis started to "get it".

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The entire offseason mission statement has been 'more pressure on the QB and better man coverage in the secondary'. If we don't see those 2 things, then, we can worry.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Senquez, just stay healthy and make it through the whole season and contribute. That's the plan for you, dude.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Maybe a few more sacks with Jones gone. It depends on how Harrison holds up.
    Hater = Realist