Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bryant to practice Tuesday for first time since 2015

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Bryant to practice Tuesday for first time since 2015

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Bryant to practice Tuesday for first time since 2015

I hope!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Let it begin!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Bongtavious vs ScissorCoates?

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

nice of him to join the team
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Good. No nonsense and won't give him time to slack off...

chances of Of him missing a test???

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Good. No nonsense and won't give him time to slack off...

chances of Of him missing a test???
    100%.

It is not a question of if Bryant misses a test, it is a simple question of when. To comply with the NFL's requirements, Bryant's life would have to be rigorously structured 24/7/365. That is an unattainable goal for anyone.

Not saying that he shouldn't continue to face testing and scrutiny, but based on what I have read - he is being set up to fail.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/05...ers-2017-otas/

As for Bryant’s perceived condescending remarks to fellow Steelers wide receiver Sammie Coates on social media following the selection of wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster in the second round of the draft, he said those comments were made jokingly.
    People really thought that was serious? LOL. I joke w/friends and co-workers all the time like that.

Of course, his ass needs to stay clean.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    100%.

It is not a question of if Bryant misses a test, it is a simple question of when. To comply with the NFL's requirements, Bryant's life would have to be rigorously structured 24/7/365. That is an unattainable goal for anyone.

Not saying that he shouldn't continue to face testing and scrutiny, but based on what I have read - he is being set up to fail.
    I am fairly confident most people could pass random tests for illegal drugs administered 2 -3 times a week. He is not under house arrest - the tester may come to his house or more likely he has to report for testing - convicted criminals out on probation go through this all the time without a recidivism rate of 100%.

His main responsibility other than passing the tests is providing his whereabouts so he can be tested within 4 hours of notice - this from the NFLPA site

Your travel will not interrupt your testing. Testing WILL be conducted at international locations and players are still required to comply with testing while traveling internationally. You will have four hours to provide a specimen after you are contacted by the collector just like when you are state side. ...

If you are in the Substances of Abuse Program, you must keep your contact information, including temporary travel, up to date.

https://www.nflpa.com/active-players/drug-policies

That having been said, I expect Bryant to screw up, not because of a system that is set up to screw him but his repeated actions to screw himself.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    I am fairly confident most people could pass random tests for illegal drugs administered 2 -3 times a week. He is not under house arrest - the tester may come to his house or more likely he has to report for testing - convicted criminals out on probation go through this all the time without a recidivism rate of 100%.

That having been said, I expect Bryant to screw up, not because of a system that is set up to screw him but his repeated actions to screw himself.
    If you read about how the NFL drug testing/screening program is set-up, it becomes pretty clear that their notification/scheduling procedures are less than ideal. These are not scheduled and confirmed visits with a detailed notification system. My understanding is that some random NFL drug tester calls the player and is like - "Hey get here now and take this test." As a result players have missed (which means failed to the NFL) tests for incorrect phone #'s being on file, being on vacation, conflicting mandatory scheduled things, etc. Now, how much of what the players claim is reality? I don't know since the NFL is basically silent on the issue.

In Bryant's case a missed test is the same as a failed test. Have you ever missed an email, forgotten to check a voicemail, etc? I certainly have. Bryant does that once, at any point in his NFL career, and he is done forever. I am not arguing that Bryant can not and should not be sober all the time. That is a whole other discussion. My point is that based on what I have read on the issue (Josh Gordon and Leveon Bell specifically) the NFL testing program is fairly ridiculous and very much feels like something set-up to have the highest failure rate possible.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Ed Bouchette
    @EdBouchette
    Martavis Bryant acknowledged he ran with the first Steelers offense right off the bat. Said he watched no football during his suspension.

Is it just me or is he always bragging about how little he does or how much it affects the team? I don't know about you guys but if I was suspended I'd try to stay in the loop as much as possible rather then take it as a year long vacation. Is he talented? Yes. Is he bright? I don't think so...
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    [COLOR=#1C2022][FONT=Helvetica][URL="https://twitter.com/EdBouchette"]

Is it just me or is he always bragging about how little he does or how much it affects the team? I don't know about you guys but if I was suspended I'd try to stay in the loop as much as possible rather then take it as a year long vacation. Is he talented? Yes. Is he bright? I don't think so...
    He trained hard but said that he didn't watch on Sundays. I hear that from many athletes who can't participate for various reasons. Us not being professional athletes, I don't think we can relate to not being there to compete. We're fans so we watch regardless, but these guys do way less watching than we do. For them, it's all about being on the field.

Bryant says many things that bother me, but that's not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

His main responsibility other than passing the tests is providing his whereabouts so he can be tested within 4 hours of notice - this from the NFLPA site

Your travel will not interrupt your testing. Testing WILL be conducted at international locations and players are still required to comply with testing while traveling internationally. You will have four hours to provide a specimen after you are contacted by the collector just like when you are state side. ...

If you are in the Substances of Abuse Program, you must keep your contact information, including temporary travel, up to date.

https://www.nflpa.com/active-players/drug-policies

From this article - http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/le...to-be-better/:

"I've never purposely missed any tests. I've never failed any tests," Bell said in the video, according to the Observer-Reporter's Dale Lolley. "I had surgery in November of last year. They tried to test me in November and December and missed those tests. I couldn't make it to the facility to get tested and they couldn't come to me and I missed those tests. I put all the blame on myself. In April, they tried to test me on a Saturday at 7 a.m. and I was sleeping. I can't put the blame on anyone but me."

Now does that sound like a system set-up to nab players for doing illegal drugs OR a system designed to create the highest percentage of missed/failed tests possible? Of course, we have to take Bell's word for the way it all went down. But assume he is correct - that's a screwed up system.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    He trained hard but said that he didn't watch on Sundays. I hear that from many athletes who can't participate for various reasons. Us not being professional athletes, I don't think we can relate to not being there to compete. We're fans so we watch regardless, but these guys do way less watching than we do. For them, it's all about being on the field.

Bryant says many things that bother me, but that's not one of them.
    I agree. I mean if I was suspended from my job, I certainly wouldn't spend my weekends watching other people do it.

That being said, I also agree with the other poster, Bryant is likely all kinds of dumb.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

From this article - http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/le...to-be-better/:

"I've never purposely missed any tests. I've never failed any tests," Bell said in the video, according to the Observer-Reporter's Dale Lolley. "I had surgery in November of last year. They tried to test me in November and December and missed those tests. I couldn't make it to the facility to get tested and they couldn't come to me and I missed those tests. I put all the blame on myself. In April, they tried to test me on a Saturday at 7 a.m. and I was sleeping. I can't put the blame on anyone but me."

Now does that sound like a system set-up to nab players for doing illegal drugs OR a system designed to create the highest percentage of missed/failed tests possible? Of course, we have to take Bell's word for the way it all went down. But assume he is correct - that's a screwed up system.
    As you state, we have to take Bell's word for it. I have my doubts. Standard advice to those on probation is if you miss a request to be drug tested call the probation officer ASAP to take the test. No claim by Bell he requested to be tested when he "woke up" after he did not answer the door for the 7 a.m. request or called anyone (his agent?) after the tester allegedly refused (twice) to come to his house to test him after he had surgery.

I had to deal with this sort of nonsense at probation revocation hearings so I admittedly am cynical about excuses for missed or failed drug tests.

That being said, I also agree with the other poster, Bryant is likely all kinds of dumb.
    ^^^^^^^
    This

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

I get what Mojouw is saying and agree to a certain extent. But Drug testing isn't supposed to be easy, and if he wants to make millions and have have fame in the NFL he better get his ass to the facility no matter what time of the day it is. IMO he should kiss the NFLs ass for giving him another chance.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

With that much testing he's bound to miss one. It's inevitable.

I think where each of us stand on this issue really comes down to what your opinion is on the NFL's drug and alcohol policy to begin with. I have long been on record that I think it is a farce and an overly punitive attempt to ensure good public relations and the financial well being of the league. Further, I believe the policy has no real design to assist, rehabilitate, or reform players actions or relationships with drugs and alcohol.

The fact that the NFL hands out HIGHLY addictive painkillers like Halloween candy, refuses to test for HGH (Gee...I wonder why?), offers moderate at best initial punishment with little in the way of follow-up or counseling for domestic violence offenders, and continues to play fast and loose with brain injuries is just more evidence that the pot and booze program is a PR stunt.

Players self-medicating with marijuana and/or alcohol can result in a player losing their ability to play in the NFL. But being addicted to pills (funny how that didn't get mentioned at all Favre's HOF stuff), pain killing shots, and other "legal" chemicals in order to play on Sundays is all well and good.

Furthermore, the NFL's various "rehab" programs do little to address the underlying physical, mental, or life problems that may be contributing to an individual's problematic use of drugs and alcohol. In addition, during suspensions and bans - it removes the player from almost all support and assistance structures in their lives by barring them from interactions with the team facilities.

Put it this way - Martavis Bryant has missed tons of games and has been put one misstep away from being permanently banned from the NFL and he has never (to my knowledge) been arrested, beaten someone up, harmed a child, done something stupid with a gun, sexually assaulted someone, had physical or verbal altercations with law enforcement, or otherwise transgressed. Yet players guilty of one or more of those criminal offense are currently playing in the NFL and in many cases faced little to no punishment from the league and certainly were not placed in a program that can instantly end their careers.

That is why I think all of this is a crock. But all of that being said - it is ultimately the player's responsibility to abide by the stipulations of their assigned league program. Which brings me to my other question -- why the hell don't owners/teams just hire people to take care of this? Bell gets a notification that he is to be tested. He calls one number - and all arrangements are made for him to meet the league's requirements. If the owner had to pay that person $200K/year plus expenses (like courier delivery of pee samples or something) - how the hell would that not be worth it?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I think where each of us stand on this issue really comes down to what your opinion is on the NFL's drug and alcohol policy to begin with. I have long been on record that I think it is a farce and an overly punitive attempt to ensure good public relations and the financial well being of the league. Further, I believe the policy has no real design to assist, rehabilitate, or reform players actions or relationships with drugs and alcohol.
    Exactly. And the funny thing is, instead of "good public relations," all it does is call more attention to the problem, i.e., hey, look at how many players are getting suspended, the league is full of potheads. I can't think of anyone who benefits from league-mandated testing for recreational drugs. As far as I'm concerned, that should be between you and your employer, which is the team you're playing for. If they judge it to be a problem, that's their call; if you shoot heroin all week and then show up for the games and produce, that's their call too. The only thing the league should be testing for is performance-enhancing drugs.

That is why I think all of this is a crock. But all of that being said - it is ultimately the player's responsibility to abide by the stipulations of their assigned league program. Which brings me to my other question -- why the hell don't owners/teams just hire people to take care of this? Bell gets a notification that he is to be tested. He calls one number - and all arrangements are made for him to meet the league's requirements. If the owner had to pay that person $200K/year plus expenses (like courier delivery of pee samples or something) - how the hell would that not be worth it?
    No matter how dumb the rule is, you're even dumber if you know the consequences and still break it. As I said last year about this - if there's a sign that says "don't pet the kitty-cat or it's a 12-month suspension," and you go ahead and pet the kitty-cat anyway, that's still YOU being a dumbass.

I really don't know why teams don't have people to take care of this exactly like you said. You keep one guy from getting suspended ever, and it's already paid for itself for the next 5 years or so. Keep a star player from getting in trouble, and it's paid for itself many times over.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Put it this way - Martavis Bryant has missed tons of games and has been put one misstep away from being permanently banned from the NFL and he has never (to my knowledge) been arrested, beaten someone up, harmed a child, done something stupid with a gun, sexually assaulted someone, had physical or verbal altercations with law enforcement, or otherwise transgressed. Yet players guilty of one or more of those criminal offense are currently playing in the NFL and in many cases faced little to no punishment from the league and certainly were not placed in a program that can instantly end their careers.

I agree completely. These last two paragraphs sum up the glaring problems with the program perfectly.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The fact that the NFL hands out HIGHLY addictive painkillers like Halloween candy, refuses to test for HGH (Gee...I wonder why?), offers moderate at best initial punishment with little in the way of follow-up or counseling for domestic violence offenders, and continues to play fast and loose with brain injuries is just more evidence that the pot and booze program is a PR stunt.

Players self-medicating with marijuana and/or alcohol can result in a player losing their ability to play in the NFL. But being addicted to pills (funny how that didn't get mentioned at all Favre's HOF stuff), pain killing shots, and other "legal" chemicals in order to play on Sundays is all well and good.

Furthermore, the NFL's various "rehab" programs do little to address the underlying physical, mental, or life problems that may be contributing to an individual's problematic use of drugs and alcohol. In addition, during suspensions and bans - it removes the player from almost all support and assistance structures in their lives by barring them from interactions with the team facilities.

I think you are 100% correct. And with the Bell comments earlier pointing out the way the system 'doesn't' work, further proves that. How many times did we see JH get called in randomly last season? Offseason would be even worse. PlayerA is on vacation with family at a resort somewhere...gets a call to be at the testing facility at 7am....automatic missed/failed test results? Just a stupid system.

I think the NFL policy on marijuana is a crock and have posted in the NFL section of the board my views on the NFL's hypocritical pattern and practice of condoning the abuse of painkillers to get players back on the field.

But based on my experiences in dealing with criminal defendants who need to stay clean prior to sentencing or while on probation after release from incarceration the drug testing program implemented by the NFL (as negotiated with the NFLPA) is in line with other drug testing programs for those who have placed themselves in a position to be subjected to random testing. As posted above, if the NFL would test for nicotine or any other substance then it is in the financial self-interest of the player to not test positive for that substance.

It is not too hard to be a regular consumer of marijuana and beat the NFL testing for that substance in order to avoid being enrolled into the random testing regimen.

NFL players are tested for recreational [non-PED] drugs once a year, during a window mandated by the collectively bargained substance-abuse policy. That window opens in the spring (this year, coincidentally, it’s on 4/20) and ends early in the preseason. But largely because of the cost of dispatching drug testers, the vast majority of players are tested during training camp, when they’re all in one place. All a player usually needs to do is make sure he pisses clean by the time he reports to camp, and once he’s tested, he can smoke as much as he wants for the next year.

If a player passes his one test, he won’t be tested again until the next April-August. One former medical personnel called it an “intelligence test, because it’s once a year, and you know it’s coming.” One agent quipped that players sometimes will throw “smoking parties” as soon as their testing is complete.

http://deadspin.com/its-remarkably-e...ing-1695935246

Given how few players have been suspended for significant periods of time for testing positive for marijuana use compared to the estimated % of users in the league, most players apparently have figured that out. Bryant (and Bell by blazing while driving to the airport for an exhibition game) did not - hard to blame anyone but themselves for their stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan;592482[I
    One former medical personnel called it an “intelligence test, because it’s once a year, and you know it’s coming.”

http://deadspin.com/its-remarkably-e...ing-1695935246
    [/I]
    Given how few players have been suspended for significant periods of time for testing positive for marijuana use compared to the estimated % of users in the league, most players apparently have figured that out. Bryant (and Bell by blazing while driving to the airport for an exhibition game) did not - hard to blame anyone but themselves for their stupidity.
    I completely agree. Most of the problems that players have during their careers are because these guys are total idiots and not smart. I'm not shifting the blame for getting caught from anyone besides the player. I am pointing out the fact that the league even tests and talks about this issue is ludicrous.

I know why they do but completely dislike the fact that they NFL hides behind helping their players. The NBA had concerns and issues with the same image problems as the NFL does. They did a couple of things but decided to ignore marijuana and alcohol. Hasn't been a problem. Can't tell me that there are less guys drinking and smoking in the NBA than the NFL.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The NFL is just pathetic.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert