Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bryant to practice Tuesday for first time since 2015

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: Bryant to practice Tuesday for first time since 2015

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    The NFL is just pathetic.
    Along with the NFLPA - a players' collective bargaining rep that was not a lapdog (such as the reps for MLB and NBA players) would stop this bulls**t.. Of course baseball and NBA players are willing to strike, unlike NFL players who with few exceptions are disposable

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I think where each of us stand on this issue really comes down to what your opinion is on the NFL's drug and alcohol policy to begin with. I have long been on record that I think it is a farce and an overly punitive attempt to ensure good public relations and the financial well being of the league. Further, I believe the policy has no real design to assist, rehabilitate, or reform players actions or relationships with drugs and alcohol.
    This. I think it's just as big of a sham as Goodell's kanagaroo court for player conduct.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    This. I think it's just as big of a sham as Goodell's kanagaroo court for player conduct.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The return of Steelers WR Martavis Bryant is much larger than anyone may realize

Before I write a single word on Martavis Bryant and his return to the Pittsburgh Steelers, I fully understand his conditional reinstatement, and how him staying on the team is him hanging by a thread.

Nonetheless, I am going to assume he stays clean, follows the protocol set forth by the NFL, and is a contributing member to the 2017 Steelers football team.

With that disclaimer out of the way, it is worth noting just how huge Martavis Bryant’s return to the team will be this year. Yes, we all know his ridiculous numbers, but were you like me in 2016 and thought the Steelers could live without No. 10? Oh, don’t act like you weren’t!

The team seemed to have the depth to withstand the loss of Bryant. Darrius Heyward-Bey, Sammie Coates and Eli Rogers could all step up their games to help fill the massive void left by the then-suspended Bryant.

A messed up Coates hand and an injured foot/ankle for Heyward-Bey equated to the team relying on Cobi Hamilton and Rogers as their primary No. 2 wide receivers, and we all know how that panned out. Antonio Brown was double, sometimes triple, covered on almost every snap because no one on the other side struck fear in the defensive secondary of the opposition.

For a second, think back to the 2014 and 2015 seasons when Bryant was healthy and in the lineup. If defenses wanted to bracket Brown on one side of the field, it left Bryant with a very manageable one-on-one on the opposite side.

read more

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...-antonio-brown

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I think where each of us stand on this issue really comes down to what your opinion is on the NFL's drug and alcohol policy to begin with. I have long been on record that I think it is a farce and an overly punitive attempt to ensure good public relations and the financial well being of the league. Further, I believe the policy has no real design to assist, rehabilitate, or reform players actions or relationships with drugs and alcohol.
    I would have agreed with that right up until Bryant's reinstatement process. The demand he have an ongoing support system to keep sober as well as conditional reinstatement based on the same reminds me more of drug court—and drug court has a much better rate of success than any other punishment system. So I think the NFL is finally getting it. It's not just a "choice" for these players. Sure, it may have been that in the beginning, but at the point where they are willing to throw away their livelyhood simply for getting high, it has become an addiction—a disease, which must be handled differently. I'm glad to see the NFL has pulled their head out and started dealing with it in a restorative, rather than punitive manner.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    started dealing with it in a restorative, rather than punitive manner.
    This made my day.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    This made my day.

The sky is the limit for him if he is clean!