Thread: Steelers Spin: The Secret Motive Behind The Steelers 2017 NFL Draft

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Steelers Spin: The Secret Motive Behind The Steelers 2017 NFL Draft

What was really behind the Pittsburgh Steelers somewhat bewildering strategy in the 2017 NFL Draft?
    Adding depth to critical positions? Filling roster holes? Plotting for the future? Creating offseason competition?
    Yes…but at the root, there was something even more radical. More profound. And it wasn’t even mentioned by NFL Draft gurus Mel Kiper Jr. and Mike Mayock.
    You see…for all NFL teams, each draft has a general theme and the choices made are as much a statement about the team’s past roster as it is about the future one.
    Some might be focused on increasing team speed. The statement they are making is their current squad is slow.

(more)

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/05/steelers-spin-secret-motive-behind-steelers-2017-nfl-draft/

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Re: Steelers Spin: The Secret Motive Behind The Steelers 2017 NFL Draft

Great read and I agree the draft reflected the belief that while very talented, this team sometimes seems to lack discipline, heart and drive.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

BurghBoy412

Loved this article!! Some really solid points made.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Tomlin needs to start coaching consistently and stop trying to be best buddies of the players. Be a head coach, not the guy who had a minor career as a player and wants to live out a player fantasy while coaching.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

This is dumbest thing I've read today. And that counts 4 articles about politics and 3 dozen essays from college sophomores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

This comment is what gets me.

The key difference between Tomlin's teams vs Chuck Noll's and Cowher's teams is the absence of an unmistakable and collective will to win. Coach Noll's and Cowher's teams collectively imposed their will on their opponents.
    Chuck Noll spent the better part of the 80's fielding grease-fires and getting dominated by the Bengals and Browns.

Bill Cowher's teams "imposed their will" so much, that's why they went 1-4 in Home AFC title games and an Aaron Bailey almost-miracle from going 0-5, and did not win for 15 years, but hey, they imposed that "will" though.

Heart and Drive have nothing to do with it. Sometimes there is just a team that is better than you. In this case it's New England. They're just better than we are, and have been for the better part of 20 years. Mike Tomlin is not in Belichick's class, in fact, Belichick lives rent free inside of his head, as evident at halftime during the AFCCG, it has been said that Tomlin padlocked the doors to the Steelers' locker room.

The Patriots fuck with Tomlin's head so much, and the team has a collective mental barrier against New England.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

I think heart, drive and a collective will to win is key.

The Patriots showed that in the Super Bowl.

I also agree with ALLD's post above.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Colin Holba. Quite possibly he could be the most important pick in this draft and could have the quickest and most impact of any of the 2017 draft picks early on.

I laugh at the people that gave that pick a "D" or said there were other players that could help the team more. I liked the pick then and now it was an important pick with Warren gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Tom Landry couldn't beat the Steelers in the 70's.

Chuck Noll never had to deal with Millennials.

Eric Green made videotapes, and Plaxico Burress was habitually late for team meetings.

SUMMATION:
    I think that you get the point.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The desire to be the best is assumed to be a quality in every pro level football player. When you have the talent to be the best, it gets very easy to become distracted. AB has gone from a 6th round afterthought, to perhaps the very best WR in the league. He goofed up with that live feed thing he did, and now it's assumed he didn't have the drive to win? For all of the things Coates was not last season, he played through injuries to his hands and groin, that apparently all required surgery to fix. I would define that as 'want to'. Bell and Bryant may have let the team down the most, but I think Ben played hurt for half the season. I don't think this article is spot on, although I like the sentiment and emotion, but lacking in football fact. Dobbs will not push Ben this season, JuJu, while very impressive, has a long way to go to be Ward-like, although we all want TJ to dominate, he's not even fully developed at his position yet. Putting all these high expectations on these rookies now is only going to lead to hate threads later when it takes them longer to hit stride than we would like. Patience with this group would be more prudent, IMO. Potential is there, not immediate gratification.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Hasn't "drafting for speed" been the draft motto for several years now?

BurghBoy412

I agree with you. Anyone that's thinking these rookies will have an immediate impact is setting their self up for a let down. Any production you get from a rookie is a bonus. I feel like it's best to wait a couple of seasons to start passing out grades.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The desire to be the best is assumed to be a quality in every pro level football player. When you have the talent to be the best, it gets very easy to become distracted. AB has gone from a 6th round afterthought, to perhaps the very best WR in the league. He goofed up with that live feed thing he did, and now it's assumed he didn't have the drive to win? For all of the things Coates was not last season, he played through injuries to his hands and groin, that apparently all required surgery to fix. I would define that as 'want to'. Bell and Bryant may have let the team down the most, but I think Ben played hurt for half the season. I don't think this article is spot on, although I like the sentiment and emotion, but lacking in football fact. Dobbs will not push Ben this season, JuJu, while very impressive, has a long way to go to be Ward-like, although we all want TJ to dominate, he's not even fully developed at his position yet. Putting all these high expectations on these rookies now is only going to lead to hate threads later when it takes them longer to hit stride than we would like. Patience with this group would be more prudent, IMO. Potential is there, not immediate gratification.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Just to be clear, a team can only show heart and drive when it wins, right?

Atlanta had no heart and drive in the last SB. The Steelers had no heart and drive in the AFCCG. The Packers had heart and drive in the divisional round, but lacked it in the NFCCG.

Did the Steelers have heart and drive when they outlasted the Chiefs in the divisional round?

I mean as long as we are attempting to measure imaginary intangibles from our television sets, we might as well go all the way.

I need to get clarity on all this drivel so that I can know where to focus my incoherent rage.

Maybe some historical scenarios will help -- I guess the 1970's Oilers lacked a collective will to win. After all that was likely all they needed to get past the Steelers in a few championship games. Or did Chuck Noll and Lambert soak up all the heart and drive that was available in the 1970's? Like is there a finite amount and between the Steelers and the Cowboys, it got all used up?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, this article can't even gets its own facts straight. TJ Watt apparently was drafted to improve the "will to win" factor on the roster.

But the author ignores that he was the most athletic LB left on the board. Did he forget that at the combine Watt tested really really well? So Watt totally falls in line with most of the Steelers post Jarvis Jones 1st round picks - superior athletes who have demonstrated some ability to translate that to football related stuff.

But, hey - why the hell should facts and data get in the way of good idea for some intellectual masturbation?

I think I need a break from the internet - and when the hell does camp start?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Tomlin needs to start coaching consistently and stop trying to be best buddies of the players. Be a head coach, not the guy who had a minor career as a player and wants to live out a player fantasy while coaching.
    So turning around a 4-5 team into a team making the AFC Championship game without the team's defensive captain or no. 2 WR can happen without Tomlin leading or coaching? Cool story bro
    Last edited by st33lersguy; 05-21-2017 at 05:24 PM.

Ū Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Colin Holba. Quite possibly he could be the most important pick in this draft and could have the quickest and most impact of any of the 2017 draft picks early on.

I laugh at the people that gave that pick a "D" or said there were other players that could help the team more. I liked the pick then and now it was an important pick with Warren gone.
    I agree.

My main grievance with the draft was the lack of a TE.
    Hater = Realist

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    So turning around a 4-5 team into a team making the AFC Championship game without the team's defensive captain or no. 2 WR leading or coaching? Cool story bro
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    So turning around a 4-5 team into a team making the AFC Championship game without the team's defensive captain or no. 2 WR leading or coaching? Cool story bro
    I think Tomlin and the Steelers can be proud that they made it to the AFCCG.

However I don't quite see our roster being as decimated as you do.

If I am not mistaken Green Bay beat Tomlin in the Super Bowl with what, 8 or 10 starters out / on injured reserve?

So while I am in agreement that Tomlin is a good coach and has become very good at drafting and developing talent imo, I still think he has a ways to go with regard to game planning, in game adjustments and urgency at times.

A good example is us being beaten over and over by Baltimore.

And again, while just my opinion, I am in agreement with ALLD. I feel Tomlin started coasting after winning the super bowl. I sensed he was happy and satisfied and in general has been less intense and more easy going than before winning the Super Bowl.

However we have a young and hungry team and some time since the last Lombardi, so I think we will see more urgency this year from top to bottom as well as the coaching from Tomlin, that I know he is capable of, that wins chamionships.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Tomlin will never get credit for being a good coach until he overcomes New England.

We can sit and deny it all we want, but getting decimated by New England (again) in the AFCCG casts a big time shadow over last year and this upcoming season. They'll never receive credibility until they return to the playoffs and get past them.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    If I am not mistaken Green Bay beat Tomlin in the Super Bowl with what, 8 or 10 starters out / on injured reserve?
    That has become an urban legend. About a year ago, I posted all of the players. Jermichael Finley and their half-good RB were the only starters that they lost to injury. It was a bunch of third/stringers who went to IR.

Green Bay also lost Charles Woodson for the second half the SuperBowl, but the Steelers lost Manny Sanders on Pittsburgh's opening series. And, Pittsburgh lost Pouncey the week before (which was the biggest loss by either team all season long).

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    That has become an urban legend. About a year ago, I posted all of the players. Jermichael Finley and their half-good RB were the only starters that they lost to injury. It was a bunch of third/stringers who went to IR.

Green Bay also lost Charles Woodson for the second half the SuperBowl, but the Steelers lost Manny Sanders on Pittsburgh's opening series. And, Pittsburgh lost Pouncey the week before (which was the biggest loss by either team all season long).
    I still will always think that if Sanders was available on that last drive the Steelers win

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

There you go again, trying to confuse me with facts.

It mentions 13 players on IR, but only two of the players (Woodson and Driver) are mentioned as noteworthy losses for the game.

Valid point St33lers.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...ers-are-champs

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

All I am saying is the Big Ben era is closing rapidly and Tomlin is the captain. It starts with him and he is no chuck Noll, but who is? Tomlin is committed to winning, but is he committed to sacrificing to win another SB? There is a big difference between being regularly competitive and regularly winning championships.
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    All I am saying is the Big Ben era is closing rapidly and Tomlin is the captain. It starts with him and he is no chuck Noll, but who is? Tomlin is committed to winning, but is he committed to sacrificing to win another SB? There is a big difference between being regularly competitive and regularly winning championships.
    What does that even mean? Sacrificing what? A chicken? Jarvis Jones?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    What does that even mean? Sacrificing what? A chicken? Jarvis Jones?
    Just sayin...

Last edited by GBMelBlount; 05-21-2017 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I still will always think that if Sanders was available on that last drive the Steelers win
    During their rookie seasons, I was focused on Manny & AB, because a buddy & I had a bet. I was sure that Manny was going to be a stud, and he was adamant that AB was going to be a star. (We were both right... although, he won.)

Anyway, like I said, during their rookie seasons, Manny was the better player. Case in point: he broke Darrell Revis's ankles in the regular season Jets game.

Then, AB had those two catches to close out the playoffs games, and my buddy was gloating. I replied that Manny would have the game-winning TD in the SuperBowl. Alas...

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The heart is really not a problem for the Steelers.

Every year since 2013, the steelers have adversity and many think at one time of the season that our season is over, but the steelers have always found a way to bounce back after difficult times.

Our lost against Denver in the 2015 playoffs, this team showed a lot of heart in this games ....

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Cool story bruh.

I do think Ben's retirement drama was self-centered. No need to make any of it public.