Thread: Steelers CBs Steal Rookie Spotlight

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Steelers CBs Steal Rookie Spotlight

One of the disappointments of many fans of the Pittsburgh Steelers out of the recent draft was the lack of emphasis placed on defensive backs. Particularly after what Tom Brady and the New England Patriots did to them in the last game.

But for one day -- albeit the first day of rookie minicamp -- two rookie cornerbacks, third-rounder Cameron Sutton and fifth-rounder Brian Allen, looked like premium picks.

Don't take that to mean the top picks were disappointing.

* First-rounder T.J. Watt is a thin and nimble 250-pounder who should be able to carry 10-15 more pounds.

* Second-rounder JuJu Smith-Schuster showed all of the athletic characteristics of a starting NFL wide receiver.

* Fourth-round quarterback Joshua Dobbs displayed a beautiful, fluid release of live spirals that stood out in stark contrast Friday.

But it was the rookie cornerbacks who made the plays, each causing gasps of surprise from onlookers...............

Read more @ http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/st...light-and-ball

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Re: Steelers CBs Steal Rookie Spotlight

Sutton finished school in December and was back to 100 percent for Senior Bowl week.

"I've been feeling really good since then," he said. "I'm definitely feeling really good now."

His (Sutton) leadership and intelligence were obvious on the field and off it on this first day.

He arrived as advertised by a college coaching staff that raved about Sutton's thorough understanding of teammates' assignments and responsibilities during games.

"It makes the game easier for you," Sutton said. "We're all tied to a string out there on the field, all 11 guys. You're able to put guys in different situations to make plays as well as help yourself out.

Your knowing the calls, knowing what to expect out there on the field, studying film and knowing what the offense is going to give you out there on the field, it just makes the game slow down for you and doesn't make you have to worry about so much out there."

Sutton, no doubt, will be a quicker study than Allen, who's still learning a new position. But the 6-foot-3 Allen showed in his first practice what he can do with his long 34-inch arms. Allen used every fraction of that length to pluck an interception of a Dobbs pass out of the air while diving backward and reaching with one hand.
    Our young defense should only improve this year and having Watts and our new CB's contributing on defense by the playoffs may be the key to us winning the AFC and getting Ben one more shot at a Lombardi.

Fingers crossed.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Hopefully they will improve and continue improving

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The Legion of No-Fly

Artie Burns
    Sean Davis
    Cameron Sutton
    Brian Allen

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

I like the sound of this. I knew Sutton would surprise many once he got healthy, Allen may be a surprise to me.

AML

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The Legion of No-Fly

Artie Burns
    Sean Davis
    Cameron Sutton
    Brian Allen
    What?.....No Mike Mitchell?????

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

I really hope they succeed. It would be nice to hear people once again refer to the Steelers' defense as the Steel Curtain.
    Hater = Realist

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    I like the sound of this. I knew Sutton would surprise many once he got healthy, Allen may be a surprise to me.
    Sutton appears to be a "Defensive QB" for lack of a better term. Prides himself on knowing where everyone should be at all times and what their job is. Guy's gonna be a huge upgrade!

I haven't seen it mentioned but I'm assuming Allen is a very smart player as well. How else do you change positions at the D-1 level and end up being a draftable player? (I suppose the same should be said for TJ) In the words of the Great Arnold Schwazenegger "Hear me know and listen to me later." Allen is going to take Cockrell's job before the season is over.
    Last edited by BurghBoy412; 05-17-2017 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Hi

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

If Watt and Dupree can wreak as much havoc upfront as we all think they can, it's gonna make all these DBs look good.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I love that the DBs are getting the work done. Last season was an improvement over the season before. More improvement this season should be expected. The names mean nothing at this point, it's the unit that I want to see improve. Adding skill and depth to our front 7 will have just as big of an impact as improved secondary play in our pass defense. Want to keep hearing good news from TC.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I love that the DBs are getting the work done. Last season was an improvement over the season before. More improvement this season should be expected. The names mean nothing at this point, it's the unit that I want to see improve. Adding skill and depth to our front 7 will have just as big of an impact as improved secondary play in our pass defense. Want to keep hearing good news from TC.
    Also NO INJURIES for once. Howard Wilson shattered a kneecap in Browns camp yesterday gone for the year. About the most Browns hung ever. I fear for Garretts knee ligaments.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Also NO INJURIES for once. Howard Wilson shattered a kneecap in Browns camp yesterday gone for the year. About the most Browns hung ever. I fear for Garretts knee ligaments.
    SHHHHHHHH........

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Wow, I'm getting excited about this secondary hopefully these two can contribute from the start.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

If Watt and Dupree can wreak as much havoc upfront as we all think they can, it's gonna make all these DBs look good.
    You bet. Heyward back will also help.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    You bet. Heyward back will also help.
    Heyward/Tuitt/Deebo-TJ/Dupree with Gravedigger and Alualu giving a breather? Add in Shazier running around and sneaking in a few snaps at OLB????

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    What?.....No Mike Mitchell?????

I want to like him... but... my common sense interferes.

BurghBoy412

I want to like him... but... my common sense interferes.
    Honestly what has Mitchell done to make the secondary better? Highly overrated player IMO. I've often wondered why Carnell Lake always gets a pass, when his unit underperforms yearly (usually in the bottom quarter of INTs and they give up a lot of yards). I suppose that's​ just another symptom of my mania. Haha

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Mitchell has done a lot to help make the DBs better. Mitchell's play hasn't been bad and he makes a receiver think about going over the middle. He's also the central portion of that backend so he communicates to all and he's a smart football player both on the field and in the classroom. Both Burns and Davis have give Mitchell credit for the improvement in their respective games. Just because he takes a dumb penalty and celebrates at dumb times doesn't mean he stinks as player and teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Both Burns and Davis have give Mitchell credit for the improvement in their respective games.
    Which is why I want to like him.

Here's why I can't:

In the Tennessee game from a few years back, the TE jumps for a ball near the back of the end-zone. Mitchell does not push the TE out of bounds (as Ryan Clark would have done); instead, Mitchell goes for a big hit.
    Catch.
    Both feet land inbounds.
    Touchdown.

That play is a microcosm for Mitchell's career.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Mitchell is adequate some of the time, but far too often makes a dumb play. If the Steelers go down in the playoffs this year, Mitchell giving up a few big plays will probably be part of the reason why

DB concerns for me come from looking at our upcoming schedule, and the TEs we'll be facing. We still don't have that answered. Not enough/right guys to pass rush AND cover. We tried with Golden last season and that failed miserably.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Which is why I want to like him.

Here's why I can't:

In the Tennessee game from a few years back, the TE jumps for a ball near the back of the end-zone. Mitchell does not push the TE out of bounds (as Ryan Clark would have done); instead, Mitchell goes for a big hit.
    Catch.
    Both feet land inbounds.
    Touchdown.

That play is a microcosm for Mitchell's career.
    Can't argue that. But people can't say he hasn't helped the secondary.

Perfect timing: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/05...y-learn-ropes/

BurghBoy412

Why does Carnell Lake always get a pass???

Tools for the job?

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    Why does Carnell Lake always get a pass???
    Lake has been with the team as a DB coach since 2011.

In that time the Steelers defense has ranked: 1, 6, 14, 18, 11, and 10 in points allowed. Every year but one in the top half of the league.

In that time the Steelers have drafted 12 defensive backs (http://www.pro-football-reference.co.../pit/draft.htm). 7 are no longer with the team and I'm not sure if a few of them are even in the league. Golson, Davis, Burns, Sutton, and Allen all appear to have a bright NFL future if we are optimistic.

The other flops on that draft list - is that on Lake or the scouts? We don't know. But man, they sure swung and missed on a TON of DBs in the past half dozen or so years.

Lake has been with the team as a DB coach since 2011.

In that time the Steelers defense has ranked: 1, 6, 14, 18, 11, and 10 in points allowed. Every year but one in the top half of the league.

In that time the Steelers have drafted 12 defensive backs (http://www.pro-football-reference.co.../pit/draft.htm). 7 are no longer with the team and I'm not sure if a few of them are even in the league. Golson, Davis, Burns, Sutton, and Allen all appear to have a bright NFL future if we are optimistic.

The other flops on that draft list - is that on Lake or the scouts? We don't know. But man, they sure swung and missed on a TON of DBs in the past half dozen or so years.
    I would tend to think if those DBs aren't on an NFL roster, it's not so much Lake as the talent. It's not like he's had Antwan Blake and then Blake went on to be Darrell Revis with the Saints or whoever...Cardinals...lol. If the talent isn't there, Lake can only do so much.

BurghBoy412

Thanks for posting about Lake. I suppose it's hard to tell if he's been making the most with subpar talent or he's responsible for bringing in the subpar talent. Either way, I don't believe he's under enough scrutiny. When you work for a team that great undervalues DB's... You can't afford to miss on a pick.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Lake was charged with replacing and coaching up the group of Troy, Taylor, and Clark. Part chemistry, part talent. Not an easy task for any coach. I have to give him a couple of more years to see how the newest crop of DBs pans out. Also, losing an early round pick, (Golson) for two seasons certainly doesn't help.