View Poll Results: Early Draft Grade(10 point scale. 10 being the best)

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

4 12.50%

8 25.00%

14 43.75%

3 9.38%

1 3.13%

2 6.25%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Draft Grade Poll

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Early Draft Grade Poll

Yes, it is early, but how do you feel so far with this draft?
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Re: Early Draft Grade Poll

B (7 - 8)

Especially in light of Teegre's comment in another thread:

This is Draft has been ALL about rectifying the AGCCG.

R1 pass rush
    R2 red-zone target
    R3 pass coverage
    R3 Bell's backup
    Also, it seems to me they chose tough players who are quality people with strong work ethic and heart.

LOVE THIS.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Steelheart is a jewel in the rough"> Steelheart's Avatar

Was thinking about this on my ride home today and I think I feel like it is about a C.

That's odd. It posted before the poll was up.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    That's odd. It posted before the poll was up.
    Maybe you need more pole practice.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Some good picks mixed in with a head scratcher in round 6. We won't know the true grade of this draft for a few years, but for right now I'll give it a 7

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

I give at B and very happy with the 1st pick after Peppers went off the board. Was hoping they would have moved up in the 2nd to grab a CB but guess they was determine to get a WR which now I actually like. Wanted Connor but think it was to early like most. Now figure what the heck and that was a comp pick anyhow. B&7 on the poll.

BurghBoy412

How am I supposed to grade players that haven't played a game yet?

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    The same way the people who draft them do. Sophisticated guessing.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

obviously ( in my best Mike Tomlin voice ) its all projection but based on evidence we have seen from college tape
    I think we left more talent and greater needs unattended or properly attended ( again my opinion )

so for that reason I give this draft a 4 out of 10 , I think we over drafted a few guys that we could have got later and think we passed on guys we should have taken

but its not my team and I do not get paid to make those decisions

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Watt- B+
    JuJu- A-
    Sutton- D
    Conner- B+
    Dobbs- C
    Allen- A
    Holba- C
    Adams- A-

Overall, a pretty good draft. The only pick I really don't like is Sutton, but I've never had a year where I loved every pick. Can't wait to see what these young fellas can do.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

We addressed needs. Plain and simple. Maybe not the names we were all thinking but we did address those needs.

1. Watt - Edge guy that can rush the passer and drop into coverage
    2. JuJu - WR need. Even though many of you think Wr wasn't a need, it was.
    3a. Cam Sutton - Slot CB to upgrade Gay and Sensabaugh and compete with Golson.
    3b. Conner - RB depth. Also very much a need, and an upgrade over Davis and Frenchy.
    4. Dobbs - Backup QB with potential. We analyzed at length over this guy on here. There were QBs we liked better but this addresses a need.(plain and simple)
    5. Allen - Tall speedy outside CB for depth. Guy with potential to compete for a starting role.
    6. Holba - Non-glamour position. We just resigned Warren 2 months ago. The need part? He will learn from Warren who has done such a great job, nobody notices him.
    7. Adams - Basketball player quickness is his plus side. Probably better in space than as a pass rusher. Backup/Special Teamer.

I give this draft a B. Solid B with a chance to become an A if 2 of these guys become starters this season. 8 out of 10

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

If Watt dominates nothing else will matter. Alternatively if Dobbs develops into say Andy Dalton, nothing else matters then either. Not knowing that, C+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

As of right now, I give it a good, solid B (8).

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Maybe you need more pole practice.
    With my back? Haha

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    If Watt dominates nothing else will matter.
    True and I hope that becomes true.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    It's called using reasoning. Obviously nothing is known as fact.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

C-, Watt, was a great start but after that, the early picks rated from pretty good to What the flying fuck are they doing. Also not drafting a safety to provide needed depth and maybe even upgrade Mitchell to help the D improve was a big mistake. Not getting a TE who could catch and block was a mistake. Also they could have benefited from an ILB, and not getting ILB and S in tandem seems worse.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

As GBMelBlount already stated, this draft was about fixing the wrongs of the AFCCG.

R1: pass rusher check
    R2: big, red-zone target check
    R3: slot corner check
    R3: Bell's backup check

After that, it was about..

R4: finding an upgrade for Landry Jones check
    R5: depth at corner check
    R6: necessary, but
    R7: depth at OLB check

I actually do not downgrade this draft based on the long snapper; sometimes you have to change the oil. But, I did NOT want a QB (even though Dobbs will likely be a better backup than Jones).

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I give it a B+

I think every player has a nice upside to them. I did not want a QB, at all, but I think it will prove a wise choice by the Steelers. Solid backups are hard to find and I think Dobbs will be just that. This class seems like a bunch of good kids, an added bonus. I don't think there will be any off field issues with this class. Heck, I've even warmed up to the LS pick.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I give it a B+

I think every player has a nice upside to them. I did not want a QB, at all, but I think it will prove a wise choice by the Steelers. Solid backups are hard to find and I think Dobbs will be just that. This class seems like a bunch of good kids, an added bonus. I don't think there will be any off field issues with this class. Heck, I've even warmed up to the LS pick.
    ^^This^^

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Somebody said this over the weekend. I don't know if it was something posted on here, or something one of the draft analysts said on tv. But somebody said, "Draft a QB each draft, even if not a position of need. Law of averages says you find a serviceable guy, if not a franchise guy. Worse thing that happens is you get good at drafting QBs".

I have spent time mulling that over and it makes fairly good sense. No position holds more value. If you have a pretty good QB, and draft another good QB, one of those guys will have very good trade value.

The Browns being the antithesis to that, while the Broncos drafted an injured Kelly with Siemian and Lynch already in the stable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    C-, Watt, was a great start but after that, the early picks rated from pretty good to What the flying fuck are they doing. Also not drafting a safety to provide needed depth and maybe even upgrade Mitchell to help the D improve was a big mistake. Not getting a TE who could catch and block was a mistake. Also they could have benefited from an ILB, and not getting ILB and S in tandem seems worse.
    Do you think Allen, at 6'3" can be used at times as a ballhawk FS? I kept waiting for a safety pick as well. I did not expect a TE because none of them did what we need better than who we already have. I would have taken a second WR first.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    As GBMelBlount already stated, this draft was about fixing the wrongs of the AFCCG.

R1: pass rusher check
    R2: big, red-zone target check
    R3: slot corner check
    R3: Bell's backup check

After that, it was about..

R4: finding an upgrade for Landry Jones check
    R5: depth at corner check
    R6: necessary, but
    R7: depth at OLB check

I actually do not downgrade this draft based on the long snapper; sometimes you have to change the oil. But, I did NOT want a QB (even though Dobbs will likely be a better backup than Jones).
    It's not about just picking a position of need. For it is who you pick and when.

I'm fine with the two first picks, even though I feel they were taken a little high for what they bring.

Sutton looks very weak and timid. He feels more like a 6th round talent, IMO.

Conner is just a big, north-south runner. They are a dime-a-dozen. Too high of a pick for a RB.

Dobbs won't be an upgrade over Jones. He will either get cut or remain eating up a roster spot for 4 years. Just another running QB.

I like the LS pick over the Dobbs and Sutton pick.

This is just my initial feeling. When pre-season starts it will change : )

Note:When I look at all of the players in this year's draft I don't really see many stars. They mostly seem blah.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post

Do you think Allen, at 6'3" can be used at times as a ballhawk FS? I kept waiting for a safety pick as well. I did not expect a TE because none of them did what we need better than who we already have. I would have taken a second WR first.
    Based off of what NFL.com said, it doesn't look like he is suited for it, at least right now. Pasted below is the bottom line on his page word-for-word

On the surface, Allen is nowhere near ready to play NFL football. He lacks smooth feet and hips in coverage, a feel for routes and is below average playing the deep ball. His issues as a tackler make it unlikely a team would trust him to move to safety. However, his elite size, speed and length are sure to garner attention and he does flash some potential as a bump-and-run corner. Allen could be a late-round pick who is stashed on a practice squad while a team tries to improve his technique.
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profil...len?id=2558237
    Here is the full link here

It's not about just picking a position of need. For it is who you pick and when.
    I agree... I'm a "best available" guy.

Let me clarify.

I saw four needs (already listed), and those needs could have been addressed in any order. For example, if a CB had been the BPA at 30, I'd have been fine with a CB.

As far as the actual players taken goes:
    I like the first two picks, and I really like Sutton (we disagree on that one). At first, I thought that Connor could have been had in R4, but then again, there was a run on RBs early in R4; IMO, they wanted him and simply took him. I didn't want a QB, but I see why they took a QB. The developmental CB & OLB are like any other late-round picks: flawed.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

B-

in any given draft by us, usually 2-4 players pan out.

i think the picks that are going to be "successful" relative to their draft position will be TJ Watt, Juju Smith-Schuster, Cameron Sutton, and James Connor
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

I'm fine with the two first picks, even though I feel they were taken a little high for what they bring.

Sutton looks very weak and timid. He feels more like a 6th round talent, IMO.

Conner is just a big, north-south runner. They are a dime-a-dozen. Too high of a pick for a RB.

Dobbs won't be an upgrade over Jones. He will either get cut or remain eating up a roster spot for 4 years. Just another running QB.

I like the LS pick over the Dobbs and Sutton pick.

This is just my initial feeling. When pre-season starts it will change : )

Note:When I look at all of the players in this year's draft I don't really see many stars. They mostly seem blah.
    I definitely agree with your assessment on Watts, but on JUJU . . . I can't say. I decided to take a little gander at Sutton, and I liked what I saw. He goes up and gets the ball at the highest point possible, and he also fights for the ball. I saw very limited tape, but he didn't look timid. Perhaps, you mean when tackling a runner with the ball? Because while that ball is in the air, he's pretty aggressive. I liked what I saw, but don't know enough to decisively say what round I thought he should be in. I do, however, think he's at least a fourth round talent from what I saw.

I think you're dismissing Dobbs too much just because he can run. One of the things I like about him is his constant improvement, and he did it against something like the second or third hardest college football schedule (concerning defenses). He's also very smart, which means he'll pick up the play book quickly. Will he ever be a starter (sans injury)? I don't know. But I think he'll be an upgrade over Jones by the middle of year one.

I also disagree with you on Conner. Watch his tape again. He's not really "just" a north south runner. He can cut, he can explode through the hole, and he can take on bodies and power through them. They're not as common as we'd like.

I'm okay with the longsnapper pick. It's something we need, so they spend the pick and get it. Now we stick him in the back pocket for the next decade and move on. After the James Harrison snap against the Giants in 08, I don't mind this pick at all.

I also like our last two picks.

All-in-All, I give the draft a B-, but that's graded a little heavy on us taking Watt in the first round, which I think was too high. Had we taken him say, middle of the second, I'd give the draft a B to B+

Senior Member Array title="Method28 is a name known to all">

As much as i dont really care for the pick, i think JuJu is in a good spot and could be thrust into action. Not expecting much from Watt right away but i think he'll develop nicley

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Terrapinstation is on a distinguished road">

D

Watt. may be great, but he's played one year and has extensive knee injuries
    Schuster. We did not need to take a WR here.
    Sutton. Undersized CB, but that's what we get for waiting
    Conner. Love the guy, but is RB a 3rd rd need??
    Dobbs. ?? lol
    The rest. Who knows. Oh yeah, we drafted a long snapper! lmao.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I agree... I'm a "best available" guy.

Let me clarify.

I saw four needs (already listed), and those needs could have been addressed in any order. For example, if a CB had been the BPA at 30, I'd have been fine with a CB.

As far as the actual players taken goes:
    I like the first two picks, and I really like Sutton (we disagree on that one). At first, I thought that Connor could have been had in R4, but then again, there was a run on RBs early in R4; IMO, they wanted him and simply took him. I didn't want a QB, but I see why they took a QB. The developmental CB & OLB are like any other late-round picks: flawed.
    Pretty much this.

They got 4 guys at the top of their draft that will probably help the team in some capacity pretty early.

The other players were luxury picks and developmental picks.

They took a QB that they like with great intelligence and the ability to absorb and retain information. The need to work on his footwork and his delivery to help his accuracy.

They took a long snapper...........nobody drafts a long snapper unless they believe the rest of the roster is pretty well stocked.

They took a developmental CB that as you say is flawed. He's very raw, but could have a very high upside. Do you (A) draft a player that you have seen play for 4 years that you know doesn't have what it takes to make it in the NFL, or do you (B) take a super athletic 6'3' 215 lb piece of clay that has a chance to develop into something?

I'll take B every time.

Same thing for a shot at a flawed edge rusher with some athleticism and just a feeling about what he might be able to do. He's a seventh round pick. All you usually find are players that need to get into a system and pro coaching to see what can be pulled out of them.

That is a clear sign that the organization feels very good about their roster, and the depth that they have developed. They are acting like a team that believes they got all the pieces they need in this draft, and whatever players they still need can be gotten as teams are already releasing good players.

Need a TE? A guy like Barnidge was just released from Cleveland. Need another CB? The Bears just elected to not pick up Kyle Fuller's fifth-year option. They can make a trade for him if they still like him, or sign a free agent like Keenan Lewis. If they don't like Lewis, they can wait for cuts during preseason.

This team feels like they are ready to win.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Grading a draft before anyone plays a down is of course nonsense but writers publish what fans want to read - links to some draft grades

Mel Kiper - ESPN - B+ (might be behind paywall)

James Conner is a great story and pretty good player, but there were better backs available

All in all, needs filled.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/in...s-all-32-teams

Pete Prisco - CBS Sports - B

First-round pick T.J. Watt is a player who is a perfect fit for the Steelers' scheme. His best football is in front of him. I thought second-round pick JuJu Smith-Schuster went a little high, but third-round corner/safety Cam Sutton was a really nice pick. The best story of the draft is the pick of third-round runner James Conner out of Pittsburgh. This is a kid who overcame cancer. Love that.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/priscos-nfl-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams-five-earn-as-and-two-fall-short-with-ds/

Chris Burke - SI.com - C+

OLB T.J. Watt (pick No. 29) tested off the charts and the Steelers will love his effort level, but there were edge defenders deep into Day 2 who might have been capable of providing just as much pop as pass rushers. We’ll see. I understand the JuJu Smith-Schuster pick at 62—he was a value there, and the Steelers can’t really depend yet on Martavis Bryant—but I’m not sure I get it. The glaring needs were elsewhere on the roster. CB Cameron Sutton (No. 94) could be a good one, and RB James Conner (No. 105) is destined to be a fan favorite, plus he’ll pick up tough yards. No surprise they found a quarterback: Josh Dobbs (No. 135). Not sure that’s a replacement plan if Big Ben walks soon. Docked points for drafting a long snapper in Round 6 (Louisville’s Colin Holba, pick 213).

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/04/29/nf...sults-analysis

Chad Reuter - NFL.com - A

Day 1 grade: A
    Day 2 grade: A-
    Day 3 grade: A
    Overall grade: A
    The skinny: The fact that T.J. Watt was available for the Steelers was amazing. He's a war daddy, and Pittsburgh can play him inside or outside for years. This was one of those picks where everyone will wonder in four years how Watt dropped this far. Many Steelers fans told me the team wouldn't take a receiver early; well, Kevin Colbert thought differently. JuJu Smith-Schuster is a very strong receiver who will be the physical pass-catcher the team needs. They could have used a pick on defense again, however, and found another receiver late in the draft. Colbert did get a corner/safety in Cameron Sutton who should become a starter down the line.

It's hard not to be happy for cancer survivor James Conner, but defenders won't be happy when trying to tackle this Steeler running back. I love the pick of Joshua Dobbs in the fourth round, with Big Ben going year-to-year from here on out. Cornerback Brian Allen is the next long, tall Utah cover guy with great potential, and getting long, athletic Western Michigan pass rusher Keion Adams late in the seventh will pay dividends.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...r-all-32-teams

Mark Maske - Washington Post - B+

T.J. Watt was worth a first-round pick, and second-round WR JuJu Smith-Schuster could carve out a role in Pittsburgh’s powerful offense. But the key selection here could end up being fourth-round QB Joshua Dobbs. The Steelers have struggled to find a capable backup to Ben Roethlisberger and it’s possible that he could become the guy to fill in capably for a few games per season whenever Roethlisberger suffers the consequences of his rugged playing style.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.2f954a9d23c2

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

This is the beauty of the draft. It shows the diverse views that every single set of eyes has on the same players.

Are any of them right? Am I right about anything? I have no idea.

All I know is that I hope the team was right in who they drafted.