Thread: Steelers select LS Colin Holba

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Steelers select LS Colin Holba

GOAT!!!!
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Steelers select LS Colin Holba

Super excited about this pick. I had him third on my LS board though.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Jim Wexell just tweeted that LS was a need pick...Greg retiring?
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

It's not a terrible pick if he's in a Steelers uniform as long as Warren has been and he will be a couple cents cheaper. Curious how often 6th round picks are successful as Steelers...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Via Wexell: the team is privately worried about Warren's durability.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Sadly, this is probably the best pick the Steelers made. I still hold out hope for Watt. Hopefully Tomlin makes him earn a starting role rather than handing it to him based on draft status like he did with Jarvis Jones.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Steelheart is a jewel in the rough"> Steelheart's Avatar

What a shit pick this is. Probably could have gotten him after the draft.....or any other long snapper.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Long snapper is a position you can find in FA, not a position you spend a draft pick on

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I think it was a good pick, its a position we take for granted.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Why use a draft pick? I bet Harrison can snap it further than this guy.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I truly believe they did this to save a little money. Strategic move and I like it.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers select LS Colin Holba

Quote Originally Posted by Steelheart View Post
    What a shit pick this is. Probably could have gotten him after the draft.....or any other long snapper.
    Possibly not. Patriots took one in the 5th round last year...and Belichick is a genius...so Coobert got one in the 6th...one round later...more of a genius.

But you're right, a pick like Jason Gavazda would make all the difference in the world.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Possibly not. Patriots took one in the 5th round last year...and Belichick is a genius...

so Coobert got one in the 6th...one round later...more of a genius.

But you're right, a pick like Jason Gavazda would make all the difference in the world.
    lol
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    lol
    I'd like to think I did that on purpose but gotta be honest. You can thank Apple for that one.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Via Wexell: the team is privately worried about Warren's durability.
    he has torn his ACL 2 or 3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I didn't even see the round 7 pick. When this selection was made in the 6th, I turned off and left. Seemed the coaches and FO were done so why should I stick around. Still...welcome to the Black and Gold, Here We Go!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Roster construction is more complicated than we fans likely know. I do NOT like this pick since I fail to understand why you can't just throw UDFA money at this kid until he says yes.

But, I also would like everyone to take a step back and look at this way - pull up the list of every player drafted between the now infamous long-snapper pick and the OLB in the 7th. Think about who the Steelers would have drafted instead. Now, I see a ton of guys they wouldn't have drafted and then I see these guys:

Rochelle DE/DTvwho one scout called "just a guy"
    Kyle Fuller - a center that most scouts say would be lucky to be a back-up
    Price EDGE- that might hurt
    Lee LB - might be useful or might play too upright to ever do much
    Harvey-Clemons S - would fill a role and push one of the terrible back-up safeties off the roster, but he is almost certain to get popped for dope again.
    Myrick CB - another player I might have liked to see them bring to camp and then likely cut in two years

These are not world beating options that were "missed" on because of a long-snapper pick.

Again, do I like the pick? Nope. But I don't have to know about whether or not it is difficult to find a LS. But what I can reasonably attempt is to look at what ONE player the Steelers missed out on and assess the "damage".

Frankly, I don't see it. Remember, you gotta take someone off the roster to get someone from that list on the roster. So for Lee, who do you cut? LJ Fort, Matachevich? And so on and so forth for all the players. Really the only two names that stand out for me are the Edge rusher from Pitt and the pot head at safety. I think there are reasons that both guys almost didn't get drafted.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Roster construction is more complicated than we fans likely know. I do NOT like this pick since I fail to understand why you can't just throw UDFA money at this kid until he says yes.

But, I also would like everyone to take a step back and look at this way - pull up the list of every player drafted between the now infamous long-snapper pick and the OLB in the 7th. Think about who the Steelers would have drafted instead. Now, I see a ton of guys they wouldn't have drafted and then I see these guys:

Rochelle DE/DTvwho one scout called "just a guy"
    Kyle Fuller - a center that most scouts say would be lucky to be a back-up
    Price EDGE- that might hurt
    Lee LB - might be useful or might play too upright to ever do much
    Harvey-Clemons S - would fill a role and push one of the terrible back-up safeties off the roster, but he is almost certain to get popped for dope again.
    Myrick CB - another player I might have liked to see them bring to camp and then likely cut in two years

These are not world beating options that were "missed" on because of a long-snapper pick.

Again, do I like the pick? Nope. But I don't have to know about whether or not it is difficult to find a LS. But what I can reasonably attempt is to look at what ONE player the Steelers missed out on and assess the "damage".

Frankly, I don't see it. Remember, you gotta take someone off the roster to get someone from that list on the roster. So for Lee, who do you cut? LJ Fort, Matachevich? And so on and so forth for all the players. Really the only two names that stand out for me are the Edge rusher from Pitt and the pot head at safety. I think there are reasons that both guys almost didn't get drafted.
    Your point is valid. It serves to demonstrate my earlier post as well. If this was the way the draft board looked for the rest of the day, this draft may as well be concluded now. I shut it down after that pick. There was no player left in this draft higher on the Steelers board than Holba the long snapper. Round 7 is just the highest rated UDFA at this point.

I am a bit surprised Myrick wasn't in the mix. Did they believe some other team was going to grab Holba before the 7th rd pick?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

James C Wexell

Here's the thing: had to expect any team needing a LS would wait till 7th rd. Steelers picking 30th in 7th. Had to jump 'em.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell?ref_sr...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Jim Wexell just tweeted that LS was a need pick...Greg retiring?
    We have a 3rd LS on our roster. And, no, it's not Mike Schneck.